Mac OS X, Linux, Solaris Consulting
Consulting and Troubleshooting for Apple Mac OS X and Apple IOS:
Office for Mac Integration and Support
Progent's experts in Apple Macintosh technology can assist your company to configure Office:Mac 2011 or Office 2008 for Mac on a cross-platform network so that Mac users are able to take advantage of popular features in Word, Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint for Mac, and Office:Outlook or Microsoft Entourage to share information and network resources with fellow workers who use Windows-powered systems. Progent can also help you to evaluate the advantages of upgrading to Office for Mac 2011 from an earlier release of Microsoft Office for Mac and help your company to design and carry out an efficient migration plan. Also, Progent's SharePoint Server consultants can help your company to set up a SharePoint site to support Office 2011 for Mac Web App so you can retrieve Office:Mac files from any full-featured web browser. Progent's VBA software developers can help your company to develop, update, or fix Microsoft VBA programs to benefit from Office for Mac 2011's resumption of support for Microsoft VBA.
Progent offers consulting support for all applications that come with Microsoft Office for Mac 2011 and Office 2008 for Mac including:
- Microsoft Word for Mac
Word for Mac 2011 includes improvements in the areas of document viewing, template control, publishing, image editing, typography, document search, sharing, and automation. The new Focus View feature allows you to remove non-essential content to increase the screen space available for displaying your document. The new Word Document Gallery simplifies management of standard and custom templates as well as recently opened documents. Enhanced publishing capabilities include a better Publishing Layout view, the ability to reorder layers dynamically, and more comprehensive graphic editing tools that include background removal.
Microsoft Word for Mac 2008 introduced an updated user interface that offers an extensible toolbar and introduced a rudimentary desktop publishing capability via the Publishing View that offers more precision in the layout of words and images and allows users to link text overflow from one page to a specified text box on another page. Additional capabilities available in Word for Mac 2008 include support for OpenType ligatures for more professional-looking fonts, and reference utilities that support various citation styles. Word for Mac 2008 supports AppleScript but doesn't work with Visual Basic for Applications. Progent's Mac experts can assist you to evaluate whether this limitation should affect your decision to upgrade to Microsoft Word for Mac 2011.
Microsoft Word for Mac 2004 introduced a Notebook View that enables you to flag critical sections, search for specified words and phrases, and record date-stamped voice recordings into your notes while you type. The Track Changes tool makes it easier to trace updates and allows you to accept or ignore edits from the comments. Reference Utilities permit you to access a dictionary or a thesaurus directly from the Microsoft Office Toolbox, although there is also a hyperlink to Microsoft's now discontinued Microsoft Encarta web encyclopedia. The Navigation Pane enables you to browse through your document using the improved document map.
- Excel for Mac
Microsoft Excel for Mac 2011 includes improvements in the areas of data analysis and charting, performance, image editing, scripting, data protection, and sharing. The new Sparklines feature provides an immediate visual summary of Excel information via miniature charts that are displayed within a cell adjacent to the associated data. Conditional Formatting has been enhanced to make it simpler to format data using icon libraries, data bars, and colors. You can now sort and filter information by color and use multi- select filters and convenient quick filtering options. Excel Tables (before known as Lists) allow you to create multiple groups of associated information for easy manipulation and analytics.
Microsoft Excel for Mac 2011 PivotTables have enhanced performance and better compatibility with Windows versions of Office Excel. Improved editing capabilities and SmartArt images allow you to create professional-looking images without requiring extra photo-editing software. As with Office Word for Mac 2011, VBA support has been resumed, enhancing compatibility with Excel for Windows and introducing new features such as IntelliSense, watch windows, and a new VBA debugging utility. You can manage access to workbooks via Information Rights Management and share protected workbooks across operating systems. To enhance sharing, Office Excel for Mac 2011 permits you to create platform-independent workbooks and exchange dates between workbooks without being required to distinguish between 1900 and 1904 date systems.
Excel for Mac 2008 manages the same number of cells as the Microsoft Windows edition of Excel and introduced the Formula Builder for simplifying the writing of complicated calculations. Excel for Mac 2008 also includes an Elements Gallery with built-in templates for popular tasks such as payroll. As with the 2008 edition of Word for Mac, Microsoft Office Excel for Mac 2008 does not support VBasic for Applications. Progent's OS X consultants can assist your business to determine whether this restriction justifies a migration to Microsoft Office for Mac 2011.
Excel for Mac 2004 introduced a Page View that enables you to review and manipulate on screen in WYSIWYG mode, quickly scale content to match your desired number of pages, and insert headers and footers with ease. Charting enhancements provide additional color combinations and allow you to use the Formatting Tool for quickly revising your chart class, content, fills, typography, and effects. Smart Buttons permit you to track down and repair spreadsheet formula problems and control how the AutoFill feature applies formatting to your content. Editing/function tools allow you to see the correct usage for a library of functions, and to click and drag to alter ranges with the enhanced Range Finder. XML file support permits you to employ Extensible Markup Language (XML) to collaborate on data.
- Microsoft PowerPoint for Mac
PowerPoint for Mac 2011 includes new and improved capabilities in the areas of template organization and customization, image editing, video support, animations and transitions, layer and slide control, pacing, collaboration, security, search, performance, and programmability. The Media Browser provides easy access to a wide range of media sources such as iPhoto albums, iTunes playlists, and iMovie collections as well as Clip Art and other visual data. The Presentation Presentation Gallery simplifies control of pre-built and specialized templates as well as recently opened presentations. New image editing capabilities include a background deletion tool and tools for touchup, coloring, and trimming. You can also incorporate and format videos from inside PowerPoint to make them an integral part of a show, making it simpler to distribute and manage complex slide shows. You can also add 3-dimensional transitions and are provided with an extensive collection of animation effects, extensible themes, enhanced chart making utilities, and more SmartArt images with new sets of org charts and image diagrams.
Microsoft PowerPoint for Mac 2008 introduced Smart Art for easily converting bulleted lists into a variety of diagrams. The Object Palette in the Toolbox consolidates formatting options for fast updating. A slider makes it easy to change the size of objects. An option for exporting to iPhoto enables you to watch slide shows with an iPod or iPad. Microsoft Office PowerPoint for Mac 2008 also is compatible with an Apple Remote,
PowerPoint for Mac 2004 includes Presenter functions that enable you to keep your slide show properly timed and allow mid-show adjustments by means of the tools displayed in the presenterís view window. Custom animation and transitions enable you to create more dynamic presentations. A Format Font dialog box provides more precision in specifying font options including positioning, style, and opacity.
- Outlook for Mac and Entourage
Microsoft Outlook for Mac 2011 replaces Microsoft Entourage and has been redesigned to deliver significant improvements in the areas of usability, calendar management, backup and restore, search, Windows compatibility, collaboration, speed, video conferencing, voice mail, mobility, IM, and rich presence. The Outlook for Mac database for email, contact information, and calendars is now stored in individual text files, making them simpler to control. Office Outlook for Mac is also directly Spotlight searchable and capable of being backed up and restored with Apple Time Machine. Setting up accounts has been streamlined so you can quickly add either Exchange-based accounts or accounts from popular services including Gmail, Microsoft Hotmail, Apple MobileMe, Yahoo!, Windows Live, and AOL.
Microsoft Office Outlook for Mac 2011 now automatically puts your email, draft messages, sent mail and erased messages for all of your mailboxes into unified folders so you donít need to look through separate email accounts and folders. The new Conversations capability automatically groups related messages to simplify tracking and managing threads. The new Quick Look function allows you to view file attachments that can include Office or PDF files, photos, and videos. The new Contacts Search panel allows you to search your contact data from within any Outlook view by entering any item in any contact field.
To facilitate migration from Windows to Mac OS X, Microsoft Office Outlook for Mac now allows you to copy .PST files without third-party utilities. For enhanced collaboration, Office Outlook for Mac 2011 can stack shared calendars so you can immediately spot conflicts. You can also add more than one category to a calendar event. With Exchange Server 2010, Microsoft Office Outlook for Mac can transform voice mail into text messages and put them into your inbox to cut the time spent going through the process of reviewing voice mail. Support for offline address books gives mobile users continual access to vital contact data. Using Microsoft Messenger for Mac 8 or Microsoft Communications Server with Microsoft Communicator for Mac 2011, you can see presence information in the Outlook for Mac contact card and initiate IM, a voice or video conference, or a voice call without leaving Microsoft Outlook for Mac.
Microsoft Entourage 2008 includes an Out of Office utility that permits you to adapt out-of-office messages based on who receives it. In comparison with Microsoft Entourage 2004, Entourage 2008 provides improved defense against spam and phishing and provides To Do notes that can be accessed by means of the My Day tool, which enables you to view your day's schedule and To Do List on your Mac desktop. Entourage for Mac 2008 also offers tighter integration with Exchange Server and offers more powerful calendaring capabilities. Progent's Entourage 2008 specialists and Microsoft Office Outlook for Mac engineers can help your company to enhance your Mac email solution to work seamlessly with Exchange Server so you can collaborate with colleagues running Microsoft Outlook.
Microsoft Entourage for Mac 2004 makes it easy for people to handle messages, contacts, schedules, and notes from a central application. Entourage 2004 can connect to messages via IMAP, POP, and WebDAV. Entourage 2004 enables teamwork between Apple Macintosh and Windows clients by permitting workers to connect to their accounts on Exchange Server to manage email, search Exchange's global address list (GAL), synchronize schedules and addresses, and set up conferences. Progent can help you to support your Microsoft Entourage for Mac 2004 environment or migrate smoothly to Office Outlook for Mac 2011.
Other Features of Office for Mac 2011
Microsoft Office for Mac 2011 includes additional tools to assist you to produce, organize, and share information efficiently. Other powerful Microsoft Office for Mac 2011 tools that Progent can assist you to configure and support include:
- Microsoft Messenger for Mac 8 is included in Office for Mac 2011 and is incorporated into Word for Mac, Office PowerPoint for Mac, and Outlook 2011 to support Instant Messaging, presence awareness, collaboration, plus conferencing. Functions include the ability to send messages to any computing device that uses MSN Mobile; the ability of up to 15 people to join in a conference; message and presence blocking based on permitted, blocked, or not familiar status; the ability to exchange, display and annotate images and documents; emoticon support; and custom display pictures. Microsoft Messenger for Mac 8 users must have set up a Windows Live ID account.
- Remote Desktop Connection for Mac 2, included in Microsoft Office for Mac 2011 and designed for operation with OS X Snow Leopard or Leopard, offers concurrent connections to multiple remote Windows-powered personal computers or to a remote network server to run hosted applications and exchange files. With Remote Desktop Connection you can print from within Windows applications to any Mac-accessible printer. A new desktop protocol enhances speed and compatibility with Microsoft Windows 7 and an auto-reconnect capability recovers a remote session if the Internet connection is lost. Network Level Authentication enhances protection by authenticating users prior to establishing a full Remote Desktop Connection. To find out more about Remote Desktop Connection and about how Progent can help you to set up and manage a solution for running Windows PCs from Mac OS X, visit Remote Desktop Connection for Mac 2 support services.
- Web Apps are online companions to Office for Mac Word, Office Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook that enable you to use any full-featured web browser running on virtually any computing device to display, share, and lightly edit files held remotely on Windows Live SkyDrive or on a SharePoint 2010 web site. This permits cross-platform collaboration and helps mobile users. For business use, Web Apps require SharePoint Foundation 2010. Security improvements for Office Web Apps 2011 include Data Execution Prevention support, Office file authentication to guard against file fuzzing exploits, additional file block settings, and support for a locked-view sandbox environment. To learn how Progent's Microsoft-certified SharePoint consultants can help your business to set up and maintain a SharePoint web site to support Web Apps for Mac Word, Office Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook for collaboration from any computer, visit SharePoint support.
- Lync for Mac replaces Communicator for Mac as the enterprise-grade Instant Messaging, rich presence, video conferencing and voice solution included with Office for Mac 2011. Rich presence data can be based on calendar data, login status, or specified by the user. Lync for Mac works in conjunction with Microsoft Lync Online or Microsoft Lync Server 2010, which has replaced Microsoft Office Communications Server and Live Communications Server. Lync allows users to invite contacts to attend conferences or initiate a conference directly from Outlook for Mac 2011 or Lync for Mac. Enhanced conferencing features include desktop sharing. For more information about Microsoft Lync Server 2010's capabilities and the consulting offered by Progent's Lync platform specialists, see Lync Server Consulting.
How Progent's Experts Can Support You with Office for Mac
Progent's Microsoft-certified support professionals, Cisco-qualified network experts, and Mac OS X support professionals can assist your company to integrate your Apple Mac OS X computers and software into a dependable and protected IT network, set up your Microsoft Exchange Server to support the groupware features of Office Outlook for Mac and Microsoft Entourage, and offer Mac Education for Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook for Mac. Progent can also provide a broad range of Microsoft Exchange support services including system planning and integration, maintenance, security, wide area connectivity, performance tuning, service continuity, and spam and Virus protection and email encryption.
Get in Touch with Progent If You Need MS Office for Mac Consulting
If your company is looking for Mac support professional, call Progent at 800-993-9400 or visit Contact Progent.
Progent Corporation. All rights reserved.