Microsoft Word was one of the original commercial word processors for desktop computers and after more than 30 years of development has become the standard tool for creating and sharing business documents and for performing basic desktop publishing. Word supports the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) programming language for creating macros that can be used for applications such as Excel-like charting from within Word. VBA can retrieve data from external sources and lets you add controls to make Word documents interactive. New versions of Word steadily add to the immense feature set for document formatting, and the most recent releases have significantly improved the platform's support for collaboration, web-based access to files, document exchange, file recovery, and security.
Progent can provide a broad range of affordable online consulting and troubleshooting services to help you maintain your current Word environment or help you assess the business benefits of migrating to a newer version of Microsoft Office Word. Services offered by Progent include VBA programming, identifying and resolving file compatibility issues, network optimization, security and compliance consulting, connecting Word with other Microsoft applications or with third-party data sources and plug-ins, integration with smartphones, and online webinar training classes.
Microsoft Office Word 2007
Microsoft Office Word 2007 helps you produce professional-looking documents by providing a comprehensive set of tools for creating and formatting your document in the Microsoft Office Fluent user interface. Rich review, commenting, and comparison capabilities help you quickly gather and manage feedback from colleagues. Advanced data integration ensures that documents stay connected to important sources of business information.
Microsoft Word 2007 includes important improvements over Word 2003 covering document editing and reviewing tools, collaboration and document sharing, and program recovery. Some of the highlights of Word 2007 are:
- Editing and Reviewing Tools. The Fluent user interface presents tools to you in a clear and organized fashion. You can select from galleries of predefined styles, table formats, list formats, and graphical effects. The galleries of formatting choices give you a live visual preview of the formatting in your document before you commit to making a change.
- Spelling Checker is More Consistent Across All 2007 Microsoft Office Programs. In addition to sharing the same custom dictionaries, all programs can manage them by using the same dialog box. Several spelling checker options have become global. If you change one of these options in one Office program, that option is also changed for all the other Office programs.
- More Efficient Document Sharing. When you compare and combine documents, you can see both versions of the document — with the deleted, inserted, and moved text clearly marked in a third version of the document. Before you share your document with other people, you can use the Document Inspector to check the document for hidden metadata, personal information, or content that may be stored in the document. The Document Inspector can find and remove information such as comments, versions, tracked changes, ink annotations, document properties, document management server information, hidden text, custom XML data, and information in headers and footers. Additionally, your organization can customize the Document Inspector to add checks for additional types of hidden content.
- More File Formats for Exporting Documents. Office Word 2007 supports exporting your file to Portable Document Format (PDF) and XML Paper Specification (XPS) format.
- Better XML Support. You can create dynamic smart documents that update themselves by using document controls and data binding to connect to your back-end systems. You can use the Document Information Panel to view and edit both standard Microsoft Office document properties and properties for files that are saved to a document management server. If you use the Document Information Panel to edit the document properties for a server document, the updated properties will be saved directly to the server.
- Office Diagnostics. Microsoft Office Diagnostics is a series of diagnostic tests that can help you find out why your software is crashing. The diagnostic tests can solve some problems directly and may identify ways that you can solve other problems. Microsoft Office Diagnostics replaces the Microsoft Office 2003 features Detect and Repair, and Microsoft Office Application Recovery.
- Enhanced Program Recovery. Office Word 2007 has improved capabilities to help avoid losing work when the program closes abnormally. Whenever possible, Word tries to recover some aspects of the state of the program after Word restarts.
Microsoft Word 2010
Microsoft Office Word 2010 incorporates enhancements over the Word 2007 version in the areas of document formatting, management and security, collaboration, and support for remote and mobile users.
How Progent Can Help You with Microsoft Word
- More Formatting Features
– Supports text formatting effects including gradient fills, shadow, bevel, glow, and reflection
– SmartArt Graphics has been expanded and lets you build diagrams the same way you create bulleted lists
– Photo-editing tools for correction, color, and cropping eliminate the need for external image editors
– From Word you can take screen shots from any open window and imbed them directly into a document
- Improved Management, Usability, and Security
– Backstage View allows version recovery and simplifies sharing, printing, and publishing
– AutoRecover can now recover versions of files that were inadvertently closed without saving
– Improved Navigation Pane and Find tools simplify browsing, searching, and organizing content
– New Ribbon saves time by letting you create custom tabs or customize built-in tabs
– Protected View helps lets you open unknown files with exposing your computer to risks
– With Trusted Documents, one confirmation works for all instances of a document active content
- Better Collaboration
– New support for co-authoring lets you edit documents simultaneously with others
– You can view co-authors, check their availability, and communicate with them from within Word
– Corporate users can utilize SharePoint Foundation 2010 for co-authoring
– Partners and consultants can use Windows Live ID for simultaneous authoring
- Enhanced Support for Remote and Mobile Users
– Microsoft Word Mobile allows viewing and lightweight editing from a Windows smartphone
– Microsoft Word Web App lets you read and edit documents from any full-featured web browser
Progent's Microsoft-certified application experts can provide affordable and effective online support for creating, enhancing, migrating, or troubleshooting VBA macros for Word and Progent's network engineers can help you create a secure and productive IT environment that supports efficient co-authoring, distribution, remote access, management, and backup/recovery of Word documents. Progent can also help you migrate documents created with older versions of Word to newer releases, troubleshoot issues involving file exchange and document compatibility, connect Word to other Microsoft applications such as Excel, SharePoint, Microsoft Dynamics accounting and analytics software, and enhance Word with Instant Messaging capability and Presence awareness through Microsoft Lync Server 2010 integration. In addition, Progent can provide cost-effective online webinar training for popular versions of Word and customize classes for the special requirements of individual students or groups.
Progent's Cisco CCIE-certified network experts can assist you to configure a secure and manageable infrastructure that accommodates local and remote users, and Progent's Windows Hyper-V consultants and VMware experts can help you consolidate equipment, simplify administration, enhance availability, accelerate recovery by implementing virtual servers and clustering. Progent's security experts can help you assess and improve the security and compliance of your Word solution, define and enforce appropriate security policies, and develop a comprehensive disaster recovery plan to protect your Word documents. Progent also offers online training classes for Word that can be tailored to meet the requirements of your system managers and Word users.
Contact Progent for Microsoft Office Word Consulting
If you are looking for a Microsoft Office Word consulting specialist, call Progent at 800-993-9400 or send email to email@example.com.
Attention Application Experts
If you are a skilled specialist with proven ability in any of the technologies supported by the Experts Group, ask about how to join Progent by going to Join the Experts Team.