Overview of Progent's Ransomware Forensics and Reporting Services in Addison
Progent's ransomware forensics consultants can capture the system state after a ransomware attack and perform a comprehensive forensics analysis without impeding the processes required for operational continuity and data recovery. Your Addison business can use Progent's forensics report to counter future ransomware assaults, assist in the cleanup of lost data, and meet insurance and governmental requirements.
Ransomware forensics involves determining and describing the ransomware attack's storyline throughout the targeted network from beginning to end. This history of how a ransomware attack progressed within the network assists you to evaluate the damage and highlights vulnerabilities in rules or work habits that need to be rectified to avoid future break-ins. Forensics is typically given a high priority by the cyber insurance provider and is often mandated by government and industry regulations. Because forensics can be time consuming, it is critical that other key recovery processes such as business resumption are pursued in parallel. Progent maintains a large roster of IT and cybersecurity experts with the skills required to carry out activities for containment, business continuity, and data recovery without interfering with forensic analysis.
Ransomware forensics analysis is complex and calls for close interaction with the teams responsible for data recovery and, if needed, payment negotiation with the ransomware Threat Actor. Ransomware forensics typically require the examination of logs, registry, Group Policy Object (GPO), Active Directory (AD), DNS servers, routers, firewalls, schedulers, and basic Windows systems to look for variations.
Services associated with forensics include:
- Disconnect but avoid shutting off all potentially affected devices from the system. This can involve closing all RDP ports and Internet connected network-attached storage, changing admin credentials and user passwords, and setting up two-factor authentication to guard your backups.
- Create forensically valid digital images of all suspect devices so the file restoration team can proceed
- Preserve firewall, VPN, and other critical logs as quickly as feasible
- Establish the variety of ransomware used in the attack
- Inspect each machine and storage device on the system including cloud-hosted storage for signs of compromise
- Inventory all encrypted devices
- Establish the kind of ransomware involved in the attack
- Review logs and sessions in order to establish the time frame of the assault and to spot any potential sideways movement from the originally infected machine
- Understand the security gaps exploited to carry out the ransomware assault
- Search for the creation of executables surrounding the original encrypted files or system compromise
- Parse Outlook PST files
- Analyze attachments
- Extract URLs embedded in messages and check to see if they are malware
- Provide extensive incident documentation to satisfy your insurance carrier and compliance regulations
- Suggest recommended improvements to shore up security vulnerabilities and improve workflows that reduce the exposure to a future ransomware exploit
Progent has provided remote and onsite network services throughout the U.S. for over 20 years and has been awarded Microsoft's Gold Partner designation in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity competencies. Progent's roster of subject matter experts (SBEs) includes professionals who have been awarded high-level certifications in foundation technology platforms including Cisco networking, VMware virtualization, and major Linux distros. Progent's data security consultants have earned prestigious certifications including CISM, CISSP, and CRISC. (Refer to certifications earned by Progent consultants). Progent also offers top-tier support in financial management and ERP application software. This scope of skills gives Progent the ability to identify and integrate the surviving pieces of your IT environment following a ransomware intrusion and rebuild them rapidly into an operational system. Progent has worked with top insurance carriers like Chubb to help organizations clean up after ransomware attacks.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Analysis Expertise in Addison
To learn more information about ways Progent can help your Addison business with ransomware forensics investigation, call 1-800-993-9400 or visit Contact Progent.