Enlarging your telecommuter workforce may have a major effect on network infrastructure, security, and corporate workflows. Progent has 20 years of background assisting small and mid-size businesses to design, configure, manage, optimize, and debug IT networks that support at-home workers. Progent can assist your Albany organization to pick the right technologies and follow best practices in building and maintaining a safe virtual office solution for teleworkers that promotes collaboration and returns top value. Progent can provide services ranging from on demand guidance for helping you over challenging IT bottlenecks to full project management or co-management to help you successfully complete mission-critical initiatives.
Progent's consultants can help Albany, New York organizations to succeed with any facet of creating a high-functioning telecommuting environment by providing network infrastructure configuration services, IP voice troubleshooting, video conferencing integration, collaboration platform selection and deployment, cloud integration, helpdesk services, security and compliance, data protection solutions, and streamlined management.
Network Infrastructure for a Remote Workforce
Integrating the physical and software infrastructure needed for a remote workforce can be particularly challenging if you must manage a mix of worker-owned hardware such as desktop computers and laptops, routers, and wireless APs from an assortment of vendors and with a mix of OS software and firmware levels. Progent's experience providing remote support for both outdated as well as modern IT products in virtual office venues allows you to make efficient use of your existing network infrastructure and provides you with fast access to top-tire consultants for making necessary updates. Support services offered by Progent to assist you to create a productive work-at-home infrastructure include:
- Virtual Private Network technology makes it possible to create a safe tunnel for authenticated remote workers to access IT resources situated at your corporate datacenter or in the cloud. Progent's consultants can assist you to configure and maintain VPN access between your teleworkers and your key network resources by providing remote VPN configuration consulting. For businesses with Cisco's ASA firewalls, Progent's Cisco ASA Firewall consultants can assist your remote workers to set up Cisco's popular AnyConnect software to provide secure VPN connections for a wide range of endpoint devices such as Microsoft Windows, macOS, iOS, Linux, and Android.
- Virtual Desktop Infrastructure products allow a teleworker to view and interact with a data center computer's desktop. This technology provides network managers more control over the digital environment of at-home employees and offers them a consistent and more productive experience. Progent's VDI consulting services include Windows Remote Desktop support and Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops VDI expertise.
- Routers attach home computer networks to the Internet and support VPN connections, local wireless connectivity, and firewall services. Progent offers expert online support for setting up home routers from all major manufacturers. See router configuration support from Cisco-certified experts.
- Home Wi-Fi networks, typically supporting an entire household and guests, are frequently used by at-home employees to access their Internet router for work. This can create throughput and cybersecurity problems. Progent can assist you to mitigate these problems by providing expertise that include Cisco Aironet configuration expertise, Cisco Meraki wireless installation expertise, and Ubiquiti Unifi wireless AP integration assistance.
- Internet access solutions affect the performance and availability of connections between at-home workers and the company data center. Vital applications may demand backup Internet connections in case the primary connection breaks. Progent offers expertise for identifying ISPs, picking appropriate bandwidth and data volume bundles, and configuring fault-tolerant Internet connections. See Internet access solutions.
IP Voice Integration for Teleworkers
Extending the company phone environment to accommodate telecommuters is vital to supporting a productive work-at-home solution. A variety of cloud-based VoIP platforms are used by small and mid-size businesses to server telecommuters. Many larger organizations rely on Cisco's modern or legacy platforms for VoIP management. Progent can assist businesses of all sizes to plan or maintain a remote IP voice environment that delivers the flexibility, transparency and protection required for remote users. Progent's Cisco-certified CCIE Voice consultants can provide high-level support to assist organizations optimize their current Cisco VoIP environments to support an expanding at-home workforce.
- Cisco Unified Communications Manager (Cisco Unified CM) extends high-end IP telephony features to devices like IP phones, media processing products, Voice over IP gateways, and mixed media software deployed across the network. CUCM manages additional mixed media services like unified messaging, voice/video conferencing, and team collaboration networks. For more information about Progent's Unified Communications Manager expertise, see Cisco Unified CM consulting services.
- CallManager is Cisco's legacy call-processing software and has been replaced by Cisco Unified CM or CUCM. Progent can help you to support your existing CallManager deployment or upgrade efficiently to Cisco's current IP telephony products. To learn about Progent's support services for CallManager and Cisco's other legacy IP voice products, visit CallManager consulting.
- Cisco IP Gateways enable connectivity with public telephony networks and with clients working beyond the corporate firewall
like telecommuters. Progent can provide expert support for Cisco's legacy IP gateways such as the UC520, UC540 and UC560 products and for current Cisco SIP gateways. See Cisco SIP gateway configuration consulting.
- Other VoIP Products supported by Progent's consultants include Vonage, Intermedia Unite and 8x8. Progent can help you to update your wide area network infrastructure to support these solutions and provide as-needed configuration and troubleshooting services.
Voice/Video Conferencing for At-Home Workers
A wide selection of video conferencing products from leading vendors enable online discussions, video conferencing, chat, and screen sharing for both onsite users and teleworkers. Many organizations utilize a mix of conferencing products to accommodate their different partners and customers. Progent's communications experts can assist you to manage your existing conferencing ecosystem and enhance the experience of your at-home workforce.
- Skype for Business is Microsoft's leading communications platform that supports real-time presence, IM, audio and video conferencing plus the seamless integration of these functions within Office desktop and Microsoft 365 productivity software including PowerPoint, Word, Excel and Outlook. Progent offers the skills of Microsoft-certified specialists who can assist your company to set up and manage Skype for Business clients to accommodate your at-home workforce. To learn more about Progent's consulting expertise for Skype for Business, see Skype for Business integration services.
- FaceTime is Apple's multiuser video calling app for iOS, iPadOS, iPod and Mac devices. FaceTime works over Wi-Fi or cellular Internet connections. Current editions of FaceTime allow as many as 32 concurrent users for voice/video calls. For details about Progent's support expertise for Apple FaceTime, refer to Progent's FaceTime configuration expertise.
- Webex Meeting Center supports online conferencing for most computing devices. Offered via Cisco's Webex Cloud, Webex capabilities include sharing discrete content or computer screens, presentations that embed rich media such as Microsoft PowerPoint and Flash videos, session recording, plus revision and playback for future reference. To learn more about Progent's consulting expertise for Webex as well as for other IP video products from Cisco, see Progent's Webex Meeting Center support services.
- Teams is Microsoft's next-generation replacement for Skype for Business. Teams acts as a portal for conversations, contacts, and content with capabilities such as video calling, threaded chat, plus file sharing. To learn more about Progent's consulting expertise for Teams as well as for additional Microsoft 365 products, see Progent's Microsoft Teams consulting services.
- Additional Voice/Video Conferencing Platforms supported by Progent include Google Meet, Amazon Chime, Zoom, and Slack. Progent can provide configuration and debugging services for these conferencing platforms and
assist you to tune your WAN architecture to run them.
Microsoft Collaboration Software for an At-Home Workforce
Microsoft's collaboration platforms are tightly integrated with Microsoft's familiar Office and Microsoft 365 suites, offering a rich ecosystem of productivity apps that create a consistent user experience for sharing information across multiple sites and on a broad selection of endpoint computers. Progent has provided remote consulting services for SharePoint and Exchange since their original publication and can assist your company to configure these flagship collaboration platforms to optimize the effectiveness of your remote workers.
SharePoint uses web entities to facilitate collaboration and information delivery by offering policy-driven access to data, business processes, and utilities for looking through company-wide business data. SharePoint allows you to build secure portals that enables remote workers to view and edit consolidated business intelligence by means of Intranets (Wikis), Blogs, social sites, and Web Parts (Widgets). To find out about Progent's SharePoint support services, refer to SharePoint integration and application development expertise.
Exchange and Exchange Online offer secure collaboration features including public folders, shared mailboxes, and shared calendars and contacts. Progent's Microsoft certified Exchange experts can show you how to activate and utilize these features for your at-home workers. To learn about Progent's Exchange expertise, go to deployment consulting services for Exchange Server.
OneDrive is Microsoft's shared cloud-based file hosting and synchronization service, comparable to GoogleDrive. At-home users can store files to the OneDrive service, and co-workers anywhere can share them safely via a web browser. Provided with Microsoft Office and Microsoft 365, OneDrive enables at-home employees to jointly author files. Revisions made offline are uploaded when you reconnect to the Internet. To learn about Progent's consulting services for Microsoft OneDrive, visit Onedrive configuration consulting.
Cloud Integration for Remote Workers
Progent offers affordable remote assistance for helping businesses to build, manage and repair cohesive network architectures that include physical data centers, telecommuters, branches, plus public cloud services. Progent can provide top-tier consultant for all types of cloud service such as Infrastructure as a Service, Platform as a Service (PaaS), and Software as a Service. Progent can help teleworkers fix problems with cloud connectivity, identity, and security.
Microsoft Azure is a leading platform for cloud services that allows you to utilize IT infrastructure, servers, and critical apps hosted on Microsoft's extensive cloud. Azure offers over 100 services services including the ability to host Windows and Linux-powered VMs, scalable cloud storage, messaging, app development with Visual Studio, and backup/restore. Progent can help your organization to set up VMs on Azure Virtual Machines, integrate cloud-based storage on Azure Storage services, unify identity management with Azure AD, and plan data backup and restore solutions with Azure Backup. Progent's cloud experts can also show you how to create secure connections to Azure services for at-home workers by configuring and debugging firewalls and VPN IPsec tunnels. For information about Progent's consulting expertise for Microsoft Azure, go to Microsoft Azure consulting.
Microsoft 365, previously branded Office 365, is Microsoft's popular family of business productivity applications and cloud-based services available by subscription. Microsoft applications and cloud services are provided in a selection of plans designed for users ranging from individuals and small offices to large enterprises. Progent can provide quick and affordable remote access to consultants knowledgeable about Microsoft 365-compatible clients running Windows, Mac, iOS, and Google Android technology. Progent can assist your business to assess the numerous subscription plans available for Microsoft 365 and deploy 365 applications for your telecommuters in a way that delivers maximum business value. For details about Progent's expertise for Microsoft 365, visit Microsoft 365 consulting support.
Microsoft 365 Exchange Online is one of the most widely used cloud-based applications in Azure-hosted Microsoft 365 product line. Microsoft 365 Exchange Online provides the benefits of reduced spending for data center infrastructure, easier management, dynamic scaling, high availability, and other advantages associated with cloud computing. Microsoft has engineered Exchange Online to run seamlessly with on-premises Exchange environments, enabling you to create hybrid cloud/onsite networks. Progent's Exchange consultants are available for occasional assistance to get you through tough technical bottlenecks and can also provide comprehensive project management outsourcing to ensure your remote workers have easy and secure access to your Microsoft 365 Exchange Online deployment. To find out Progent's consulting expertise for Microsoft 365 Exchange Online, go to Microsoft 365 Exchange Online integration and support expertise.
Amazon AWS is a trailblazer in the public cloud market and is the industry's leading source of cloud services. Progent offers rapid and economical online access to cloud integration experts who can assist your business to plan, deploy, manage, and debug hybrid information networks that integrate Amazon AWS cloud-based services with on-premises data centers and with other popular cloud platforms like Microsoft Azure. Progent also can provide the skills of Cisco-certified CCIE networking experts to help you to build a high-uptime network model to make sure your employees have a consistent computing environment whether they are working from your main office, a branch office, at home, or on the move. To find out about Progent's expertise for Amazon AWS, go to Amazon AWS consulting support.
Google Cloud Platform is a popular collection of cloud computing services that provides Infrastructure-as-a-Service and Platform-as-a-Service products. Progent's certified Microsoft, Linux, and Cisco consulting experts can help you to scale your existing IT resources with the Google Cloud, and Progent's database experts can help you make your mission-critical applications cloud ready so your teleworkers can take full advantage of Google Cloud services. Progent can assist your organization to deploy VMs on GCP Compute Engine, design an efficient storage system with GCP Storage services, and simplify identity management for at-home workers with Google Cloud Identity. Progent can also assist your organization to utilize GCP's management technology to administer and track your GCP environment. For details, visit Google Cloud Platform (GCP) integration expertise.
Help Desk Call Center Support for Remote Workers
A fast, organization-wide changeover to a telecommuter workforce, which could be activated by a pandemic or as part of a disaster recovery/business continuity process, can overwhelm even a well-staffed in-house Help Desk. Progent's Call Center services make it possible for businesses to outsource or expand their Call Center with Progent's remote Technical Response Center (TRC) services.
- Progent's Standard Call Desk support services leverage Progent's nationwide team of remote IT support specialists combined with enterprise-class trouble ticketing and tracking software to offer an economical, state-of-the-art Support Desk. Progent's Standard Help Desk Services provide an end-to-end solution that addresses all aspects of remote Level 1 desktop support from service requests through ticket generation, screen sharing, problem resolution, and reporting. A browser-based User's Service Portal allows at-home employees to track or update their current trouble tickets, add information, and upload screen captures and attachments. Support services are provided at a significant price reduction off Progent's ordinary Level 1 desktop support charges, and Progent makes available optional rapid escalation to Level 2 and Level 3 support specialists to deal with complex issues. To find out more, see Progent's Standard Helpdesk Services outsourcing for small companies.
- Progent's Support Desk Augmentation Service enables your company to supplement your existing Call Center staff by sharing responsibilities for Call Center support services seamlessly between your regular support organization and Progent's extensive roster of desktop support technicians and subject matter experts. Progent's shared Support Desk service uses a collaborative support model utilizing the number one PSA platform for handling service requests and trouble tickets, assigning responsibility, tracking progress, and producing reports. To learn how Progent's Support Desk Augmentation Services can help your business to deliver best-in-class IT support to your telecommuters, go to Progent's Support Desk supplementation Services.
Cybersecurity for Teleworkers
Work-from-Home (WFH) workers commonly use their personal computers and often work in an unsecured physical area. This increases their vulnerability to cyber attacks and calls for careful deployment of firewalls, anti-malware tools, MFA-based identity verification, remote monitoring, intensive end-user education, and the creation of policies built on best practices. Progent's veteran team of IT security support consultants can help your business to design, implement and manage a compliant security solution that guards critical IT resources in networks that incorporate an at-home workforce.
Firewalls enable companies to build a network that can be safely accessed by local users as well as by telecommuters, mobile users, suppliers, customers, and other stakeholders. Next-generation firewall appliances permit you to assign and control appropriate permissions to different classes of users and to scale your network and modify your cybersecurity posture as your company evolves and as cyber threats grow more complex. Progent works with both new and older firewall appliances from all leading vendors including Cisco, Palo Alto Networks, Check Point, Juniper, and Fortinet. For details about Progent's firewall configuration services, refer to firewall configuration and support expertise.
Remote Endpoint Monitoring makes it easy to watch over the various devices utilized by at-home workers and either reject or spot and mitigate the latest cyber attacks like ransomware. With Progent's ProSight Active Security Monitoring services, a small-footprint agent is installed on every protected endpoint device, watching all activity and utilizing advanced AI technology from SentinelOne to identify zero-day threats before they can spread. When an attack is spotted, ProSight Active Security Monitoring instantly disconnects the impacted device from the network to contain the threat. Because the ProSight ASM agent is autonomous, endpoint devices stay protected even when they are not connected to the Internet. Progent is a SentinelOne Partner, dealer, and integrator. To learn more about ProSight ASM, see remote endpoint monitoring for telecommuters.
Progent's Duo authentication services utilize Cisco's Duo technology to protect against password theft through the use of two-factor authentication (2FA). Duo supports single-tap identity verification with Apple iOS, Android, and other out-of-band devices. Using 2FA, when you log into a protected online account and give your password you are asked to verify who you are on a device that only you possess and that uses a different ("out-of-band") network channel. A broad selection of devices can be utilized for this added form of authentication such as a smartphone or watch, a hardware/software token, a landline telephone, etc. You may designate multiple validation devices. For details about ProSight Duo two-factor identity authentication services, see Cisco Duo MFA two-factor authentication (2FA) services for remote workers.
Security Audits can assess the exposure of your network to all types of outside and internal security attacks for an environment that incorporates teleworkers. Progent can run online, automated cybersecurity inventory software for quickly and economically detecting a wide variety of security gaps that can be surfaced over the Internet. Progent's security assessment consulting services, which can be provided by security professionals with advanced certifications such as CISM, CISSP, and GIAC, can help your company to evaluate your procedures and governance policies and assess your network infrastructure to allow you to design the highest level of protection for your at-home workers.
Download White Paper: Securing a Work-From-Home Environment
To view or download a white paper about critical areas to focus on for protecting an IT environment that supports work-from-home staff, click:
Protecting a Work-From-Home (WFH) Environment White Paper. (PDF - 2.4 MB)
Data Protection for Telecommuters
The field of Data Protection covers backing up and recovering critical information so as to prevent data loss and reduce recovery time in the event of storage problems due to hardware breakdowns, programming glitches, user mistakes, cyber attack, or other causes. Dependable data protection solutions can be particularly difficult to design and manage in hybrid environments that incorporate in-house data centers, cloud resources, and an at-home workforce.
- Backup/Recovery solutions for at-home workers must address diverse types of personally owned endpoints. Progent can provide fast remote access to consultants knowledgeable about a broad array of products for protection Microsoft Windows, Apple and Linux/UNIX servers and desktop computers as well as notebooks, tablets and handhelds. Popular backup/recovery products supported by Progent's backup/recovery consultants include Barracuda Backup, Microsoft Azure Backup, DoubleTake Software, Acronis Backup and Recovery, Retrospect, and Time Machine. To protect resources distributed throughout a wide area network, Progent offers ProSight Data Protection Services, a managed backup/recovery subscription service that utilizes cloud-based storage and includes granular recovery and centralized management.
- Disaster Recovery/Business Continuity plans often anticipate scenarios that call for a temporary changeover to telecommuting. Progent's expert disaster recovery preparedness experts and business continuity planning consultants can help your company to develop, document and validate a DR/BC plan that includes the process of switching to telecommuting.
Unified Management for an At-Home Workforce
Microsoft has renamed and rebundled its endpoint management platforms under the title Microsoft Endpoint Manager, which includes Intune for cloud-based management of mobile and remote endpoints and Configuration Manager for managing on-premises endpoints. Endpoint Manager offers a unified environment for protecting critical information by managing local, mobile, and at-home endpoints.
Intune is part of Microsoft's Endpoint Management suite that also features Configuration Manager. Intune is a cloud service for managing and securing remote computers and software. Remote endpoint devices can be personally owned or company owned. IT admins managing the enrolled endpoint devices of teleworkers can utilize Intune to deploy and validate applications on devices, push patches and certificates, set up rules for permission to access data and resources, set passwords, create VPN tunnels, determine how teleworkers share data, set up threat protection, verify security compliance, and delete sensitive data from missing, stolen or deactivated devices. Microsoft Intune runs with Apple iOS, Android, Windows, and macOS/OS X devices. For details about Microsoft Intune and to find out how Progent can assist you to use this platform to manage the endpoint devices of your telecommuters, refer to Intune teleworker device management consultants.
VMware Workspace ONE
VMware Workspace ONE is a feature-rich unified Mobile Device Management platform that helps network managers to keep remote endpoint devices current and protected. Workspace ONE uses VMware AirWatch technology for unified endpoint administration along with VMware's Horizon virtual application delivery platform for identity control, application management, and configuration management of endpoint devices. Workspace ONE operates with devices powered by Windows 10, macOS, Apple iOS, Google Android, Chrome OS, or popular distributions of Linux. VMware Workspace ONE is offered by subscription as a cloud service or as an on-premises product through a perpetual license. Key capabilities of VMware Workspace ONE include fast over-the-air provisioning of out-of-the-box notebooks, quick onboarding of new employees, policy set up and enforcement for all classes of devices, unifies reporting and analytics, an email encryption gateway, and tight integration with Microsoft apps and cloud products. For information about Progent's expertise for VMware Workspace ONE, see VMware Workspace ONE mobile endpoint management consultants.
Contact Progent for Remote Workforce Expertise
To contact Progent about building and managing a productive telecommuter environment for your Albany, New York business, phone 1-800-993-9400 or refer to Contact Progent.