Progent's Ransomware Forensics Analysis and Reporting Services in Alpharetta
Progent's ransomware forensics experts can preserve the evidence of a ransomware attack and perform a detailed forensics analysis without slowing down activity related to business continuity and data restoration. Your Alpharetta organization can use Progent's post-attack ransomware forensics documentation to counter subsequent ransomware attacks, validate the recovery of encrypted data, and meet insurance and governmental requirements.
Ransomware forensics is aimed at determining and documenting the ransomware attack's progress across the network from start to finish. This history of the way a ransomware assault progressed within the network helps your IT staff to evaluate the damage and brings to light vulnerabilities in rules or work habits that should be rectified to avoid later breaches. Forensics is usually given a high priority by the cyber insurance provider and is typically mandated by state and industry regulations. Since forensic analysis can take time, it is critical that other important activities like business continuity are performed concurrently. Progent maintains a large roster of information technology and cybersecurity experts with the skills needed to perform activities for containment, business continuity, and data recovery without interfering with forensics.
Ransomware forensics is time consuming and calls for close interaction with the groups responsible for file recovery and, if needed, settlement talks with the ransomware hacker. Ransomware forensics can require the review of all logs, registry, Group Policy Object, Active Directory, DNS, routers, firewalls, schedulers, and basic Windows systems to look for variations.
Activities associated with forensics investigation include:
- Isolate without shutting off all potentially impacted devices from the network. This may involve closing all RDP ports and Internet facing network-attached storage, changing admin credentials and user passwords, and implementing 2FA to protect backups.
- Copy forensically sound images of all suspect devices so the file recovery group can proceed
- Preserve firewall, VPN, and additional critical logs as soon as feasible
- Identify the strain of ransomware involved in the assault
- Inspect every machine and data store on the network as well as cloud storage for signs of encryption
- Inventory all compromised devices
- Determine the type of ransomware involved in the attack
- Study logs and sessions in order to establish the time frame of the ransomware attack and to spot any potential sideways movement from the first compromised system
- Understand the attack vectors exploited to carry out the ransomware attack
- Look for new executables surrounding the first encrypted files or system compromise
- Parse Outlook PST files
- Analyze attachments
- Extract any URLs embedded in messages and check to see if they are malicious
- Provide comprehensive attack documentation to satisfy your insurance and compliance requirements
- Document recommended improvements to shore up security gaps and enforce processes that reduce the risk of a future ransomware exploit
Progent has provided online and on-premises IT services across the United States for over two decades and has earned Microsoft's Gold Partner designation in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity competencies. Progent's team of subject matter experts includes professionals who have been awarded high-level certifications in foundation technologies including Cisco networking, VMware, and popular distributions of Linux. Progent's cybersecurity consultants have earned industry-recognized certifications including CISA, CISSP, and CRISC. (Refer to certifications earned by Progent consultants). Progent also has top-tier support in financial management and Enterprise Resource Planning applications. This broad array of expertise gives Progent the ability to identify and consolidate the surviving parts of your IT environment after a ransomware intrusion and rebuild them quickly into a viable network. Progent has worked with top cyber insurance carriers like Chubb to assist businesses clean up after ransomware attacks.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Analysis Expertise in Alpharetta
To find out more about how Progent can assist your Alpharetta organization with ransomware forensics analysis, call 1-800-462-8800 or see Contact Progent.