ProSight Data Protection Services (DPS) - Hornetsecurity Altaro VM Backup
Hyper-V and VMware Virtual Machine Backup and Restore
ProSight Hornetsecurity Altaro VM Backup is a fully managed subscription service intended to provide small and middle-size businesses a robust and affordable solution for backing up and restoring Hyper-V and VMware-powered VMs. Altaro VM Backup can be deployed local, offsite, multi-location, and hybrid cloud network models and also supports cost-effective backup to an Azure Block Blob storage account.
Top features of ProSight Hornetsecurity Altaro VM Backup include advanced Augmented Inline Deduplication to cut storage requirements, Continuous Data Protection with backup intervals down to five minutes for reducing your window for lost data, military-grade data encryption, granular restore options for entire VMs or for specific files, extensive integration with Cluster Shared Volumes and VMware vCenter and vSphere, and the ability to leverage Volume Shadow Copy Service to back up live VMs with no downtime.
Progent is an Hornetsecurity Altaro partner and can provide a wide assortment of services to help your business to design, deploy, test and troubleshoot a backup/restore system based on Altaro's VM Backup technology. Progent also offers ProSight Data Protection Services (DPS) Altaro VM Backup as a managed service to deliver remote management of your backup/restore system. Progent's Windows Hyper-V experts and VMware integration experts can assist you to design and manage VM environments that utilize local or remote VMs or that run in a hybrid architecture that incorporates both local and cloud-based assets. Also, Progent offers business continuity planning expertise to assist businesses to rebound from catastrophic events such as ransomware attacks and natural disasters.
Major Capabilities of Altaro VM Backup
Altaro VM Backup is built to fulfill the backup/recover needs of most small and midsize businesses and provides ease of operation as well as a rich feature set usually found exclusively in enterprise-grade platforms. Altaro VM Backup protects widely used releases of Windows Hyper-V and VMware and supports standard backup hardware:
Windows Server 2022
Windows Server 2019
Windows Server 2016
Windows Server 2012 R2
Windows Server 2012
Windows Server 2008 R2
Hyper-V Server (Core)
Azure Stack HCI
V(5.0 and later)
(Free VMware ESXi is not supported)
USB External Drives
USB Flash Drives
Altaro VM Backup supports current releases of Hyper-V and VMware and works with common backup technologies
Altaro VM Backup offers powerful capabilities in crucial areas of data protection includung backup replication, fast recovery, and management and reporting.
Backup and Replication
Altaro VM Backup offers fast, economical, and safe backup for data protection and archiving plus remote data replication for reliable restoration. Top backup and replication features include:
Restore and Disaster Recovery
- Ransomware Protection leveraging Immutable Cloud Storage: Immutability for cloud object storage allows tamper-proof data for a set duration so that backup data cannot be modified or deleted by any user including root users. Immutable storage provides another level of protection and restoration ability in case of a successful ransomware attack.
- Global Augmented In-Line Deduplication: In-line variable block size deduplication sends only altered data to backup storage devices or sites, conserving bandwidth, cutting backup storage requirements, and improving performance. Deduplication works with data on single virtual machines and across multiple virtual machines.
- Continuous Data Protection: Instead of performing daily backups, you can reduce backup spacing to as brief as five minutes to lower your Recovery Point Objective (RPO).
- Concurrent Backups: You can back up many VMs concurrently, allowing you to conduct backup processes within briefer off-hour time windows when more bandwidth is available and workload throughput is less urgent.
- Hot Backup: Integration with Volume Shadow Copy Service allows you to back up VMs without going offline.
- Cluster Shared Volumes and VMware vCenter: The ability to back up virtual machines running in a Windows Hyper-V Failover Cluster (with or without CSV) or within a vCenter system supports large-scale implementations.
- Remote Replication: To facilitate business recovery, you can set up Altaro's Offsite Server tool on an external server for storing a copy of your backups at a remote location.
- Flexible Scheduling and Retention Policies: You can set different backup schedules and retention policies for individual VMs.
Scheduling and retention policies for Altaro are easy to set up, review and edit
- Application Specific Backups: Altaro can utilize Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service and all VSS Writers running inside the target VM when executing a backup. Apps like Exchange and Microsoft SQL will sense the backup has taken place and automatically proceed with the relevant maintenance procedures such as truncating transaction logs.
- Military-Class Encryption: Prior to copying your data to a backup device, you have the ability to encrypt it using the 256-Bit AES encryption standard.
- Virtual Disk Exclude: You can select which Virtual Disks to include or exclude in your virtual machine backups.
- Grandfather-Father-Son Archiving: Besides your continuous and daily backups, you can set up an additional schedule to create and archive a backup copy every week, month and year.
- Cloud Backup to Microsoft Azure: Altaro enables backup to an Azure Block Blob storage account, which is the least expensive storage option available on the Azure cloud.
Altaro VM Backup enables you to back up virtual machines hosted on-premises, remotely or in the cloud
- Cloud Backup to Amazon S3 and Wasabi: Altaro VM Backup VM Backup supports seamless backup to Amazon S3 and Wasabi clouds. No extra resources running in the cloud are necessary to support backup storage.
- Back up to multiple off-premises datacenters: For improved robustness, you can make copies of VMs on multiple remote sites including multiple public clouds like Microsoft Azure and Amazon S3.
Altaro VM Backup includes a comprehensive toolset for point-in-time recovery of virtual machines and files that have been copied on schedule and need to be restored. In the event of a disaster, Altaro VM Backup has tools for quickly restoring a complete site from the latest replicated version stored offsite.
Management and Reporting
- Recover as Clone: You can restore a virtual machine backup to a new destination with a new name, permitting the cloned VM to run alongside the original VM. This avoids the need to write over active virtual machines.
- Recover to Different Host: You can restore a virtual machine backup to a new or different Hypervisor. The VM can be recovered from the local backup location, or directly from the remote copy location. (You may not cross-restore between Windows Hyper-V and VMware Hypervisors.)
- Boot from Backup: You can instantly boot any virtual machine copy from the backup location either for testing or to create a significant reduction in RTO during a disaster recovery event.
- File-Level Recovery: You can rapidly recover specific files from any VM backup.
- WAN-Optimized Replication: You can make ongoing copies of your virtual machines to an off-premises location and transfer immediately to the backup site in the event that a disaster disables your primary VMs. This can significantly improve your Recovery Time Objective (RTO) and get you back online fast.
- Microsoft Exchange Item-Level Restore: You can recover individual emails from within the Exchange Mailbox.
Altaro VM Backup permits you to recover specific emails from an Exchange Mailbox database
- Recover Various Versions: You can restore from multiple periods rather than being restricted to the latest backup.
- Sandbox Restores and Verification: This feature lets you program or launch manually tests to confirm the accuracy of your backup data. You can verify backup folders without attaching the virtual machine to your Windows Hyper-V or VMware Hypervisor, or you can run a complete confirmation restore to a replicant and ensure that the restored VM can boot.
- Backup Health Monitor: Backup copy accuracy can be monitored proactively and repaired automatically as a component of the subsequent backup operation.
The web-based Cloud Management Console unifies management, monitoring and reporting for Altaro VM Backup deployments. The CMC provides a centralized portal for tasks like initiating backups, setting up on-premises and remote backup sites, configuring encryption keys, and restoring VMs. The CMC also conserves time by permitting you to set custom templates with backup schedules, retention details and other settings and assign them to various virtual machines across a selection of hosts. Also, you can use the Cloud Management Console to observe backup activities as they occur, review historic reports on operations and problems, and program the CMC to generate email alerts for completed or failed tasks and other important information.
Download ProSight Altaro VM Backup Services Datasheet
To view a datasheet describing the key features of ProSight Altaro VM Backup Services, click:
Progent's ProSight Altaro VM Backup Services Datasheet. (PDF - 310 KB)
How Progent Can Help You to Benefit from Altaro VM Backup
Progent's Microsoft-certified Windows Server Hyper-V planning and deployment consultants and VMware-certified vCenter consultants can help you to design, implement and maintain a backup/recover system built on Altaro VM Backup software. Progent's Exchange consultants can assist your business to use Altaro VM Backup to safeguard your Exchange environment, and Progent's Azure hybrid cloud consulting specialists can assist your company to use your Azure Block Blob storage service with Altaro to protect your VMs.
Progent's business continuity planning consultants can assist your business to use Altaro's replication tools and offsite backup options to protect your mission-critical data and allow you to restart your core operations rapidly in case of a catastrophe.
Periodic validation, testing, and enhancement of data recovery are vital and frequently overlooked components for effective disaster preparedness. In the event of a disaster such as a ransomware attack, these restoration drills can be the difference between an inconvenient loss of availability and an existential threat to a business. Progent's Altaro VM Backup experts can assist you to design a workflow for periodically verifying, testing, and optimizing your restore procedures so you can keep your backup solution up to date and contain the impact of a disastrous event.
Progent's GIAC information assurance (IA) experts can assess the security posture of your data protection solution and can help your company to deploy the latest technology and adhere to industry leading practices for operating safely in the current threat environment.
Contact Progent for Backup and Recovery Expertise
For expert help with backup/restore, ransomware protection, and disaster recovery, call Progent at 800-993-9400 or visit Contact Progent.