Progent's Ransomware Forensics Investigation and Reporting in Anaheim
Progent's ransomware forensics experts can preserve the evidence of a ransomware attack and perform a comprehensive forensics analysis without impeding activity related to operational resumption and data recovery. Your Anaheim business can use Progent's forensics documentation to counter subsequent ransomware attacks, assist in the recovery of lost data, and comply with insurance carrier and governmental reporting requirements.
Ransomware forensics analysis involves tracking and describing the ransomware assault's progress throughout the targeted network from start to finish. This audit trail of how a ransomware attack progressed through the network assists your IT staff to assess the impact and brings to light weaknesses in policies or work habits that need to be rectified to prevent later break-ins. Forensic analysis is usually given a top priority by the cyber insurance provider and is typically required by government and industry regulations. Since forensics can be time consuming, it is essential that other important recovery processes like operational resumption are performed in parallel. Progent has an extensive roster of IT and security experts with the skills needed to carry out activities for containment, business continuity, and data recovery without interfering with forensic analysis.
Ransomware forensics analysis is complicated and calls for intimate interaction with the groups assigned to data restoration and, if needed, settlement negotiation with the ransomware hacker. Ransomware forensics typically involve the examination of all logs, registry, GPO, Active Directory, DNS, routers, firewalls, schedulers, and core Windows systems to detect variations.
Activities involved with forensics investigation include:
- Detach but avoid shutting off all possibly affected devices from the network. This can require closing all Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) ports and Internet connected network-attached storage, changing admin credentials and user passwords, and setting up 2FA to guard your backups.
- Capture forensically valid digital images of all exposed devices so the data restoration group can get started
- Save firewall, virtual private network, and additional critical logs as quickly as possible
- Determine the version of ransomware used in the attack
- Survey each computer and storage device on the system as well as cloud storage for indications of encryption
- Inventory all encrypted devices
- Establish the kind of ransomware used in the attack
- Review log activity and sessions in order to establish the timeline of the ransomware assault and to spot any potential lateral migration from the originally compromised system
- Understand the security gaps exploited to carry out the ransomware assault
- Search for new executables associated with the original encrypted files or system breach
- Parse Outlook PST files
- Examine attachments
- Extract URLs embedded in email messages and determine if they are malicious
- Provide detailed attack reporting to satisfy your insurance and compliance regulations
- Document recommended improvements to shore up security vulnerabilities and enforce processes that lower the risk of a future ransomware breach
Progent has provided remote and onsite IT services throughout the United States for more than two decades and has earned Microsoft's Gold Partner certification in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity competencies. Progent's roster of SBEs includes consultants who have earned advanced certifications in foundation technologies such as Cisco infrastructure, VMware, and popular Linux distros. Progent's cybersecurity consultants have earned industry-recognized certifications including CISA, CISSP, and CRISC. (See certifications earned by Progent consultants). Progent also offers guidance in financial management and Enterprise Resource Planning applications. This breadth of skills allows Progent to salvage and consolidate the undamaged parts of your IT environment after a ransomware intrusion and reconstruct them quickly into a functioning network. Progent has worked with leading cyber insurance providers including Chubb to assist organizations recover from ransomware attacks.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Investigation Expertise in Anaheim
To learn more about ways Progent can assist your Anaheim organization with ransomware forensics investigation, call 1-800-462-8800 or visit Contact Progent.