Overview of Android Phone and Tablet Integration
Google's Android operating system powers about two-thirds of the world's smartphones and is an integral part of the modern BYOD (Bring-Your-Own-Device) style of computing. When properly integrated, Android phones and tablets seamlessly extend the reach of Microsoft's major software platforms including Windows Server, Exchange Server, SQL Server, SharePoint, Microsoft Teams, Skype for Business and Lync, Office and Office 365, Power BI, the Microsoft Dynamics product family, and Windows 10. Microsoft also supports the latest versions of the Android OS with the mobile device management (MDM) and mobile application management (MAM) capabilities of Microsoft Intune, which expands the capability of System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM).
For system administrators, integrating Android phones and tablets with Windows environments presents special challenges compared to integrating Apple iPhones because various Android phone manufacturers use different default configuration settings and add different software utilities which sometimes interfere with important Windows operations such as ActiveSync. Typical challenges encountered when incorporating Android devices into your Windows-based ecosystem include Exchange synchronization, Windows Active Directory configuration and replication, connecting Androids with various email hosting services, implementing remote access and VPN, configuring firewall appliances, migrating mailboxes, activating and decommissioning devices, resolving IP address conflicts, troubleshooting problems with printing, carrying out timely disaster recovery, and setting up efficient Wi-Fi solutions.
Progent's seasoned team of IT consultants and subject matter specialists have years of experience providing online and onsite support for organizations of all sizes who want to integrate Android phones into their information networks so that users can communicate, collaborate, and produce. Progent has the range of skills to resolve technical problems that span multiple vendors and that entail a mix of legacy and current information technology. Progent offers affordable remote consulting to assist you with any and all facet of designing, deploying, managing and troubleshooting your BYOD solution. Progent can provide occasional, as-needed support to help you resolve especially challenging technical problems, or Progent can provide comprehensive outsourced or co-sourced project management services to help you complete major IT initiatives. Progent can help with local, cloud-centric, or hybrid networks and can provide expertise with operating systems, applications, management tools and hardware infrastructure. Progent also offers customized group or individual training to help you manage and operate Android phones and tablets securely and productively.
Integrating Android Devices with Microsoft Applications
Microsoft has developed a wide selection of client Android apps available for free download from Google Play. These apps extend the capabilities of Microsoft's major platforms and utilities to Android phones and tablets and include Office and Office 365, SharePoint, Microsoft Teams, Skype for Business, Dynamics CRM, Power BI, Intune, Remote Desktop, Cortana, and many others. The functionality and compatibility of these apps vary based on the Android OS version, the device manufacturer, and the Microsoft application itself.
Microsoft apps for Android include Office, Power BI, Teams, Skype for Business, and Dynamics CRM
Progent can provide online expertise to help you assess the business benefits of Microsoft apps for Android, configure Microsoft and Android technology to work together, resolve network infrastructure issues, ensure that your security policies are enforced across all mobile devices, and set up pilot systems to simulate your production environment in order to verify that your Android apps deliver the functionality you require under realistic workloads. Progent can help you anticipate and resolve compatibility issues, recommend workarounds as needed, and deal with problems associated with migrating devices, applications, and data.
Progent's certified Microsoft technology consultants can help you integrate your Android phones and tablets with Microsoft platforms by providing services that include:
Common Android Integration Issues Addressed by Progent
- Progent's Exchange Server 2016 consultants can assist you with Exchange and Android integration including ActiveSync configuration and troubleshooting
- Progent's SQL Server 2019 migration experts, SQL Server 2017 consultants, and SQL Server 2016 consultants can help you resolve database issues related to Microsoft SQL Server and Android integration.
- Progent's SharePoint Server consultants can help you with SharePoint and Android integration for on-the-go collaboration
- Progent's Microsoft Office and Office 365 consultants can help you with Office and Office 365 and Android integration for mobile productivity
- Progent's Microsoft Teams, Skype for Business and Lync consultants can assist you with Microsoft Teams planning and migration, Skype for Business and Android integration, and Microsoft Lync and Android integration for IM, presence, and A/V calling and conferencing
- Progent's business intelligence and management reporting consultants can help you with Microsoft Power BI and Android integration for accessing shared BI dashboards and creating reports for business analytics
- To help you manage Android devices as well as other popular smartphones and tablets, Progent's consultants can help you with Microsoft Intune and Android integration, System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM) and Android integration, and Windows 10 Mobile Device Management (MDM) and Mobile Application Management (MAM) for Android
Many of the most common problems associated with Android and Windows integration can be resolved with a quick phone call and involve selecting the right choices in Android and/or Microsoft configuration menus. Other problems involve legacy technology and are essentially intractable and require a new Android device and/or a migration to a current version of Microsoft software in order to get the features you want. When solutions require knowledge of Androids, Microsoft software, and, for instance, a Barracuda load balancer appliance, Progent's breadth of knowledge and hands-on experience can save you time and money by turning a long-term headache into a quick fix.
Typical examples of Android integration problems that can be resolved by Progent's seasoned consultants include:
Additional Support Services Available from Progent for Windows/Android Environments
- Provide Outlook ActiveSync instructions for Android
- Troubleshoot Activesync issues
- Set up Android email from Exchange or from various email hosting services
- Migrate mailboxes
- Enable calendar sharing with OWA
- Configure Exchange Server to manage Androids and edit Exchange mobile phone policy
- Edit MX records for controlling and optimizing Android email flow
- Restore Android Exchange access during disaster recovery process
- Set up O365 account on Android phone
- Resolve Active Directory (AD) propagation timing and related issues
- Resolve issues with DHCP pools and IP schemes
- Resolve IP conflicts and DNS issues
- Configure VPN via android phone for remote access
- Resolve issues with Remote Desktop Connection
- Troubleshoot SSL issues
- Set up RDP clients
- Configure Wi-Fi access points and resolve credentials issues
- Troubleshoot printing issues and simplify print process
- Setup Symantec's Touchdown app for Android
- Resolve issues with WEB-DAV enabled devices
- Configure NAT rules on Cisco ASA firewall
- Configure firewall rules for Barracuda, SonicWall and other firewalls
- Configure Cisco Jabber parameters for Android
- Set up Android to work with MaaS360
Progent's Microsoft-certified consulting team and Cisco CCIE-certified network infrastructure consultants offer remote and on-premises support to assist your business to design, implement, manage and maintain a local, cloud-based or hybrid network that accommodates your Android BYOD solution. Progent's Wi-Fi technology consultants can help you deploy and manage an efficient WLAN that supports 802.11ac devices along with legacy Wi-Fi clients. Progent's ISSAP-certified network security consultants and GIAC-certified information security consultants can help you implement consistent security policies for all mobile devices including Android phones and tablets and can assist you to validate your compliance with government regulations and industry standards. Progent also offers information security assessments and stealth penetration testing to help you evaluate and improve your network security posture.
Progent's business continuity planning consultants and disaster recovery experts can help you include Android phones as well as other communications devices into a documented and tested disaster preparedness plan that specifies emergency alert, response and recovery procedures in the event of a crisis. Progent's backup and recovery consultants can assist you to create and validate reliable processes for preserving your Android information and for rapidly restoring remote access to your network.
Contact Project for Help with Integrating and Managing Android Phones and Tablets
To contact Progent about consulting services for integrating and managing Android phones and tablets, call 1-800-993-9400 or visit Contact Progent.