Overview of Progent's Ransomware Forensics Investigation and Reporting in Arlington
Progent's ransomware forensics consultants can preserve the system state after a ransomware assault and carry out a detailed forensics investigation without slowing down activity required for operational resumption and data recovery. Your Arlington organization can use Progent's post-attack ransomware forensics report to block future ransomware assaults, assist in the restoration of lost data, and comply with insurance and regulatory reporting requirements.
Ransomware forensics involves determining and describing the ransomware attack's progress throughout the targeted network from beginning to end. This audit trail of the way a ransomware assault travelled within the network assists you to evaluate the impact and highlights weaknesses in security policies or processes that should be rectified to avoid future break-ins. Forensics is usually assigned a top priority by the insurance provider and is typically mandated by state and industry regulations. Since forensics can be time consuming, it is critical that other key recovery processes such as business continuity are pursued concurrently. Progent maintains an extensive roster of information technology and data security experts with the skills needed to carry out the work of containment, operational continuity, and data recovery without disrupting forensics.
Ransomware forensics investigation is complex and calls for intimate interaction with the teams assigned to file recovery and, if necessary, settlement discussions with the ransomware Threat Actor (TA). forensics can involve the examination of logs, registry, GPO, Active Directory (AD), DNS, routers, firewalls, scheduled tasks, and basic Windows systems to look for variations.
Activities associated with forensics analysis include:
- Detach without shutting down all potentially suspect devices from the network. This can require closing all Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) ports and Internet facing NAS storage, changing admin credentials and user passwords, and setting up 2FA to guard your backups.
- Create forensically valid digital images of all suspect devices so the file recovery group can get started
- Preserve firewall, VPN, and additional key logs as quickly as possible
- Identify the type of ransomware used in the attack
- Survey every machine and storage device on the system as well as cloud-hosted storage for signs of compromise
- Catalog all compromised devices
- Determine the kind of ransomware involved in the assault
- Study log activity and user sessions to determine the time frame of the attack and to spot any possible lateral movement from the originally infected machine
- Understand the attack vectors used to carry out the ransomware attack
- Look for new executables associated with the first encrypted files or system compromise
- Parse Outlook PST files
- Analyze attachments
- Extract any URLs from email messages and check to see whether they are malicious
- Provide extensive incident documentation to satisfy your insurance and compliance requirements
- Document recommendations to close security vulnerabilities and enforce workflows that lower the exposure to a future ransomware breach
Progent has delivered remote and on-premises IT services across the United States for more than 20 years and has earned Microsoft's Gold Partner certification in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity competencies. Progent's team of subject matter experts includes professionals who have earned high-level certifications in core technology platforms including Cisco infrastructure, VMware virtualization, and major distributions of Linux. Progent's cybersecurity consultants have earned internationally recognized certifications such as CISM, CISSP, and GIAC. (See Progent's certifications). Progent also has guidance in financial and Enterprise Resource Planning software. This scope of skills gives Progent the ability to salvage and consolidate the surviving parts of your IT environment after a ransomware assault and reconstruct them quickly into a functioning system. Progent has collaborated with top insurance providers including Chubb to assist organizations recover from ransomware assaults.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Analysis Expertise in Arlington
To learn more information about how Progent can assist your Arlington organization with ransomware forensics investigation, call 1-800-462-8800 or see Contact Progent.