Overview of Progent's Ransomware Forensics Investigation and Reporting in Arlington
Progent's ransomware forensics consultants can save the evidence of a ransomware assault and carry out a detailed forensics investigation without interfering with the processes required for business continuity and data restoration. Your Arlington business can utilize Progent's forensics documentation to counter future ransomware assaults, assist in the recovery of encrypted data, and meet insurance carrier and governmental reporting requirements.
Ransomware forensics involves discovering and documenting the ransomware attack's progress throughout the targeted network from beginning to end. This history of the way a ransomware attack progressed through the network assists your IT staff to assess the damage and uncovers vulnerabilities in security policies or processes that need to be corrected to avoid future break-ins. Forensics is commonly given a high priority by the cyber insurance provider and is typically mandated by government and industry regulations. Because forensic analysis can take time, it is essential that other key activities like operational resumption are executed concurrently. Progent has an extensive roster of IT and data security experts with the knowledge and experience required to carry out activities for containment, operational continuity, and data restoration without interfering with forensic analysis.
Ransomware forensics analysis is arduous and calls for close cooperation with the groups assigned to file restoration and, if necessary, payment talks with the ransomware hacker. forensics typically involve the review of all logs, registry, Group Policy Object (GPO), Active Directory, DNS, routers, firewalls, scheduled tasks, and core Windows systems to detect changes.
Activities associated with forensics analysis include:
- Isolate but avoid shutting off all potentially impacted devices from the network. This can involve closing all Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) ports and Internet facing network-attached storage, modifying admin credentials and user passwords, and configuring 2FA to guard backups.
- Capture forensically valid images of all suspect devices so the data restoration group can get started
- Save firewall, VPN, and additional key logs as quickly as possible
- Establish the strain of ransomware involved in the assault
- Inspect every computer and data store on the system as well as cloud storage for signs of compromise
- Catalog all encrypted devices
- Establish the kind of ransomware used in the attack
- Review logs and sessions to determine the timeline of the assault and to spot any potential sideways movement from the first infected machine
- Identify the attack vectors used to perpetrate the ransomware assault
- Look for new executables associated with the original encrypted files or network compromise
- Parse Outlook PST files
- Examine email attachments
- Separate any URLs from email messages and determine if they are malicious
- Provide comprehensive incident reporting to meet your insurance and compliance mandates
- Suggest recommendations to shore up cybersecurity gaps and improve workflows that lower the exposure to a future ransomware breach
Progent has delivered online and on-premises IT services throughout the United States for over 20 years and has earned Microsoft's Gold Partner designation in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity practice areas. Progent's team of subject matter experts (SMEs) includes consultants who have been awarded advanced certifications in core technology platforms such as Cisco infrastructure, VMware virtualization, and popular distributions of Linux. Progent's data security consultants have earned prestigious certifications including CISA, CISSP, and GIAC. (See certifications earned by Progent consultants). Progent also offers guidance in financial management and Enterprise Resource Planning application software. This scope of skills gives Progent the ability to salvage and integrate the surviving pieces of your information system after a ransomware intrusion and rebuild them rapidly into a viable network. Progent has worked with top cyber insurance providers like Chubb to assist businesses recover from ransomware assaults.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Investigation Expertise in Arlington
To find out more about ways Progent can help your Arlington business with ransomware forensics, call 1-800-462-8800 or visit Contact Progent.