Overview of Progent's Ransomware Forensics and Reporting in Bakersfield
Progent's ransomware forensics consultants can save the system state after a ransomware attack and carry out a detailed forensics investigation without slowing down activity related to operational continuity and data recovery. Your Bakersfield business can utilize Progent's ransomware forensics report to counter subsequent ransomware assaults, assist in the recovery of encrypted data, and comply with insurance and governmental requirements.
Ransomware forensics analysis involves tracking and documenting the ransomware attack's storyline across the targeted network from start to finish. This audit trail of how a ransomware assault travelled within the network assists you to evaluate the impact and highlights weaknesses in security policies or work habits that should be rectified to prevent future breaches. Forensic analysis is usually assigned a high priority by the insurance carrier and is typically required by state and industry regulations. Since forensics can be time consuming, it is critical that other important recovery processes like operational continuity are executed concurrently. Progent maintains an extensive team of information technology and data security experts with the knowledge and experience needed to perform activities for containment, operational resumption, and data recovery without disrupting forensic analysis.
Ransomware forensics investigation is arduous and requires close cooperation with the groups responsible for file restoration and, if needed, settlement talks with the ransomware Threat Actor (TA). Ransomware forensics can require the examination of logs, registry, Group Policy Object (GPO), AD, DNS servers, routers, firewalls, scheduled tasks, and basic Windows systems to look for changes.
Activities associated with forensics investigation include:
- Disconnect but avoid shutting off all possibly suspect devices from the network. This can require closing all RDP ports and Internet connected NAS storage, modifying admin credentials and user PWs, and setting up 2FA to protect backups.
- Create forensically valid digital images of all exposed devices so your data recovery team can get started
- Save firewall, virtual private network, and other critical logs as soon as possible
- Establish the kind of ransomware involved in the attack
- Examine each machine and data store on the system including cloud storage for indications of compromise
- Inventory all encrypted devices
- Determine the type of ransomware involved in the attack
- Review log activity and user sessions in order to determine the timeline of the ransomware attack and to spot any possible lateral migration from the originally compromised system
- Understand the security gaps exploited to carry out the ransomware assault
- Look for the creation of executables associated with the first encrypted files or system compromise
- Parse Outlook PST files
- Examine email attachments
- Extract URLs from email messages and determine whether they are malicious
- Provide comprehensive incident documentation to meet your insurance carrier and compliance requirements
- Document recommendations to shore up security gaps and enforce processes that lower the exposure to a future ransomware breach
Progent has delivered remote and on-premises network services throughout the U.S. for over 20 years and has been awarded Microsoft's Gold Partner certification in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity practice areas. Progent's team of subject matter experts includes professionals who have been awarded advanced certifications in core technologies such as Cisco infrastructure, VMware virtualization, and major Linux distros. Progent's cybersecurity experts have earned prestigious certifications including CISM, CISSP-ISSAP, and GIAC. (Refer to certifications earned by Progent consultants). Progent also has top-tier support in financial and ERP applications. This scope of expertise gives Progent the ability to salvage and integrate the surviving pieces of your network following a ransomware attack and rebuild them quickly into a viable network. Progent has collaborated with leading cyber insurance carriers including Chubb to help businesses clean up after ransomware attacks.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Services in Bakersfield
To find out more about how Progent can assist your Bakersfield business with ransomware forensics investigation, call 1-800-462-8800 or see Contact Progent.