Overview of Progent's Ransomware Forensics and Reporting Services in Bakersfield
Progent's ransomware forensics experts can preserve the evidence of a ransomware assault and carry out a comprehensive forensics investigation without impeding the processes related to business continuity and data restoration. Your Bakersfield organization can utilize Progent's post-attack forensics report to combat subsequent ransomware attacks, validate the recovery of encrypted data, and comply with insurance and regulatory reporting requirements.
Ransomware forensics analysis involves determining and documenting the ransomware attack's progress across the targeted network from beginning to end. This history of the way a ransomware attack progressed within the network assists your IT staff to assess the damage and highlights weaknesses in policies or work habits that should be rectified to prevent later break-ins. Forensics is typically assigned a high priority by the insurance provider and is often required by state and industry regulations. Because forensics can be time consuming, it is critical that other important recovery processes like business continuity are executed in parallel. Progent has an extensive roster of information technology and security professionals with the skills required to perform activities for containment, operational continuity, and data restoration without interfering with forensics.
Ransomware forensics analysis is time consuming and calls for close interaction with the teams focused on data recovery and, if necessary, payment negotiation with the ransomware Threat Actor (TA). Ransomware forensics can involve the review of logs, registry, GPO, Active Directory (AD), DNS, routers, firewalls, scheduled tasks, and basic Windows systems to detect changes.
Activities involved with forensics investigation include:
- Isolate without shutting down all possibly affected devices from the system. This can require closing all Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) ports and Internet facing NAS storage, modifying admin credentials and user PWs, and configuring 2FA to guard your backups.
- Create forensically sound images of all suspect devices so your file restoration group can proceed
- Save firewall, virtual private network, and other key logs as quickly as possible
- Determine the type of ransomware involved in the attack
- Examine every computer and storage device on the network including cloud storage for indications of encryption
- Catalog all compromised devices
- Determine the kind of ransomware involved in the assault
- Review logs and user sessions to determine the timeline of the attack and to spot any possible lateral migration from the first compromised system
- Identify the attack vectors used to perpetrate the ransomware assault
- Search for new executables surrounding the first encrypted files or system compromise
- Parse Outlook PST files
- Examine email attachments
- Separate URLs embedded in email messages and determine if they are malicious
- Produce extensive attack documentation to meet your insurance carrier and compliance regulations
- Suggest recommended improvements to shore up security vulnerabilities and improve workflows that reduce the exposure to a future ransomware exploit
Progent has delivered online and onsite network services across the U.S. for more than 20 years and has been awarded Microsoft's Gold Partner designation in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity competencies. Progent's roster of subject matter experts (SMEs) includes consultants who have earned advanced certifications in core technologies including Cisco networking, VMware virtualization, and major Linux distros. Progent's cybersecurity consultants have earned prestigious certifications including CISA, CISSP, and GIAC. (Refer to Progent's certifications). Progent also has guidance in financial and ERP application software. This broad array of expertise gives Progent the ability to identify and consolidate the undamaged pieces of your IT environment after a ransomware assault and rebuild them rapidly into a functioning system. Progent has worked with leading cyber insurance providers including Chubb to help businesses clean up after ransomware assaults.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Analysis Expertise in Bakersfield
To find out more about how Progent can help your Bakersfield business with ransomware forensics analysis, call 1-800-462-8800 or see Contact Progent.