Overview of Progent's Ransomware Forensics Analysis and Reporting Services in Baltimore
Progent's ransomware forensics consultants can capture the system state after a ransomware attack and carry out a detailed forensics investigation without disrupting the processes required for operational resumption and data restoration. Your Baltimore business can utilize Progent's forensics report to combat subsequent ransomware attacks, assist in the restoration of lost data, and meet insurance carrier and regulatory requirements.
Ransomware forensics involves tracking and documenting the ransomware assault's progress throughout the targeted network from beginning to end. This audit trail of the way a ransomware assault travelled within the network helps your IT staff to evaluate the impact and brings to light weaknesses in policies or processes that should be rectified to avoid later breaches. Forensics is usually assigned a high priority by the cyber insurance carrier and is typically required by government and industry regulations. Since forensics can take time, it is essential that other key activities such as business continuity are performed concurrently. Progent has a large team of information technology and cybersecurity professionals with the skills required to carry out the work of containment, operational resumption, and data restoration without disrupting forensic analysis.
Ransomware forensics analysis is complicated and calls for intimate interaction with the teams assigned to data recovery and, if needed, settlement talks with the ransomware Threat Actor. Ransomware forensics typically involve the examination of logs, registry, GPO, AD, DNS, routers, firewalls, scheduled tasks, and basic Windows systems to check for anomalies.
Services involved with forensics include:
- Detach but avoid shutting down all possibly affected devices from the network. This may involve closing all RDP ports and Internet connected NAS storage, changing admin credentials and user passwords, and setting up two-factor authentication to secure your backups.
- Preserve forensically valid images of all suspect devices so your file recovery group can get started
- Preserve firewall, VPN, and additional key logs as quickly as feasible
- Establish the type of ransomware used in the attack
- Inspect every computer and storage device on the system as well as cloud storage for indications of encryption
- Inventory all compromised devices
- Establish the type of ransomware used in the assault
- Study log activity and user sessions in order to establish the timeline of the ransomware attack and to identify any potential sideways movement from the first compromised system
- Identify the security gaps exploited to carry out the ransomware attack
- Search for the creation of executables associated with the first encrypted files or system compromise
- Parse Outlook PST files
- Analyze attachments
- Extract any URLs embedded in email messages and determine if they are malicious
- Provide extensive attack reporting to meet your insurance carrier and compliance regulations
- Document recommendations to close security vulnerabilities and enforce processes that reduce the exposure to a future ransomware exploit
Progent has provided online and onsite IT services across the United States for over two decades and has been awarded Microsoft's Gold Partner certification in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity practice areas. Progent's team of subject matter experts (SMEs) includes professionals who have earned high-level certifications in foundation technology platforms such as Cisco infrastructure, VMware virtualization, and popular Linux distros. Progent's cybersecurity experts have earned prestigious certifications such as CISM, CISSP, and CRISC. (Refer to Progent's certifications). Progent also offers guidance in financial management and Enterprise Resource Planning application software. This scope of expertise gives Progent the ability to salvage and consolidate the surviving pieces of your information system after a ransomware intrusion and rebuild them quickly into a viable network. Progent has worked with top insurance carriers including Chubb to help organizations clean up after ransomware assaults.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Services in Baltimore
To learn more about ways Progent can assist your Baltimore organization with ransomware forensics investigation, call 1-800-462-8800 or see Contact Progent.