Barracuda Backup: Cloud-integrated Backup and Disaster Recovery
Barracuda Backup is a low-cost, subscription-based backup and disaster recovery service for small and medium-size businesses. The Barracuda Backup solution can include a physical, purpose-built Barracuda appliance or a virtual, software-based appliance with similar functionality but which uses your own storage hardware. Barracuda Backup protects critical business data generated on-premises, at one or more remote sites, or in the cloud. For disaster preparedness, you can replicate data to the Barracuda Cloud, to Amazon Web Services (AWS), or to any private location you designate. A simple-to-operate and web-accessible management and reporting console makes it easy to administer and monitor all backup, replication, retention and recovery processes in real time.
Key features of Barracuda Backup include:
Progent is a certified Barracuda partner and offers a wide array of consulting and management services to help you design, integrate, operate and troubleshoot a backup and disaster recovery solution built on Barracuda technology. Progent also offers ProSight Data Protection Services managed backup as an affordable turnkey service that allows you to outsource the management of your backup/recovery system. ProSight Data Protection Services incorporates cloud-based backup technology developed by Intronis, a company acquired by Barracuda. Progent's Hyper-V consulting experts and VMware consultants can assist your business to plan and configure virtual machine deployments that utilize any combination of local, remote and cloud-based resources. Progent can also provide advanced business continuity/disaster recovery (BCDR) planning consulting to help businesses of any size to recover quickly from cyber attacks such as ransomware or from other catastrophic events caused by natural or human-caused disasters, hardware breakdowns, or other reasons.
- LiveBoot and Cloud LiveBoot enable recovery Microsoft Hyper-V and VMware VMs in minutes, minimizing business disruption
- Cloud-to-Cloud Backup protects against data loss in Microsoft Office 365 and Exchange Online environments
- Offsite vaulting of historical revisions conserves local storage resources so they can be used for production applications
- In-line deduplication and data compression can cut storage requirements and network bandwidth usage in half
Capabilities of Barracuda Backup
Barracuda Backup offers small and mid-size organizations a full-featured data protection solution by providing advanced capabilities in the areas of backup, recovery and management. Barracuda Backup protects the most popular operating systems, the most widely used versions of Hyper-V and VMware, and cloud-hosted Microsoft applications. Mission-critical servers can be backed up as often as every 15 minutes to support a low Recovery Point Objective (RPO). Replication to offsite datacenters and to the cloud facilitate disaster recovery and offer deployment options to suit any SMB.
Mac OS X
Barracuda Backup works with popular operating systems, hypervisors and cloud-hosted applications
Secure Backup and Replication
Barracuda Backup utilizes a physical or virtual (software-based) onsite appliance that securely and automatically replicates data offsite. Local backup allows fast restores, and offsite replication supports disaster recovery.
Restore and Disaster Recovery
- Hardware-Encrypted Appliance: Barracuda Encrypted Backup is a service option that uses disk drives which can be read only when the drives are installed in the physical Barracuda appliance. In case the entire encrypted appliance is taken from a site, disk data can only be read after a power-on password is correctly entered. Native encryption technology is incorporated in the drives used in this option, which eliminates the dramatic performance loss associated with software-based encryption.
- Inline Deduplication and Compression: Barracuda Backup services using either physical or virtual appliances include Inline, block-level, source-based and target-based deduplication and compression. This results in a significant reduction in storage and bandwidth use and cuts the time it takes to complete backup and replication operations. Barracuda's variable block deduplication algorithms evaluate data type and chunk size in order to determine a block size that delivers the highest degree of deduplication. For businesses with multiple locations, Barracuda's advanced global deduplication and cloud storage technology offer significant savings in storage infrastructure without compromising data protection.
- Secure and Efficient Replication: Barracuda Backup offers a variety of low-cost options for copying business-critical data offsite to protect against local events that may disable your datacenter. You can use built-in WAN acceleration to replicate protected data to the Barracuda Cloud, to the Amazon Web Services (AWS) cloud, or to a Barracuda physical or virtual backup appliance located at any remote location. You can also export replicated data to external disk, tape, autoloaders, or robotic libraries. Wherever you choose to replicate your data, it will be transferred and stored using military-grade 256-bit AES encryption. Barracuda replication can use VMware Changed Block Tracking (CBT) and requires only a single agent for Windows systems and apps.
- Offsite Vaulting: To help businesses comply with internal or regulatory retention policies and to reduce the cost of storing archival backups, Barracuda Backup supports offsite vaulting. You can transfer on-premises copies of monthly and yearly backups from a local Barracuda appliance to the Barracuda Cloud or to a different Barracuda appliance.
- Cloud-to-Cloud Backup: To recover from data loss due to human error such as accidental deletions, Barracuda offers Cloud-to-Cloud Backup for Microsoft Office 365. This can protect Exchange Online mailboxes and OneDrive for Business files and folders.
Barracuda Backup supports a variety of recovery options for physical servers and virtual machines. You can restore data from a local Barracuda Backup appliance, from a remote Barracuda Backup appliance that has been used to replicate that system, or from Barracuda Cloud Storage.
Management and Reporting
- P2V Restores: You can restore physical server backups into a virtual environment (P2V restores) hosted by VMware vSphere or Microsoft Hyper-V.
- Bare Metal Recovery (BMR): Bare metal recovery lets you restore a complete Windows computer system, including data, settings, applications, and operating system, onto a new computer on which no software has been installed. BMR is useful for a variety of common restoration scenarios including replacing a lost notebook or provisioning a new one, refreshing a server's hardware, moving from a physical to a virtual server, migrating from a rotating disk to a solid-state drive, or recovering from a cyber attack that corrupted your operating system.
- LiveBoot: The LiveBoot feature allows instant recovery of VMware virtual guest machines. If your primary storage system fails, Barracuda Backup can operate as data storage for your VMware ESXi server. You can recover any revision of a guest VM based on your retention policy and immediately use files and applications in their deduplicated state stored within Barracuda Backup. You can also use LiveBoot for granular file-level recovery as well as for item-level recovery for supported applications including Exchange, Microsoft SQL, and SharePoint.
- Cloud LiveBoot: When you back up a Hyper-V or VMware virtual guest server and replicate to Barracuda Cloud Storage, you can boot the server in Barracuda's Cloud directly from the Barracuda Backup web interface with no additional configuration. You can recover any revision of a virtual guest server within your retention policy, boot virtual servers in the cloud to recover and traverse the file structure of virtual guest system data, and retrieve individual Active Directory (AD) objects. For testing purposes, you can boot the virtual guest system to confirm data integrity or to set up a sandbox for trying out new or updated applications without risk to your production environment.
- Granular Recovery: From the Barracuda Backup web interface you can recover an entire share, a file, a file system directory, a mailbox, mailbox folders, or individual messages. You can restore data to its original location or to any other networked computer where the Barracuda Backup Agent is installed.
- Retention Policies: Barracuda Backup retention policies allow you to keep historic data based on daily, weekly, monthly, or yearly time intervals. You can create Barracuda Backup retention policies for different sets of data including VMs, email messages, and data backed up by the Barracuda Backup Agent including Exchange, SQL, Hyper-V, and System State. This flexibility allows you to comply with regulatory or litigation requirements and fine tune data protection and disaster recovery plans.
- Microsoft Exchange Support: Barracuda Backup automatically creates a recovery mailbox database for Microsoft Exchange Server 2013 and higher. You can restore individual Exchange Mailbox folders, such as the Inbox, as well as Contacts, Calendars, and Notes. You can also use Barracuda Backup's web interface to view, search, and restore individual Microsoft Exchange messages. You can view all of the messages within an individual mailbox and you can perform a string search across multiple mailboxes.
- VMware CBT Restores: VMware Changed Block Tracking (CBT) is used to perform incremental backups on VMware ESX/ESXi VMs. CBT identifies and tracks block changes that occurred after the most recent backup and logs these changes. This significantly lowers the number and duration of backup windows and improves the speed and efficiency of subsequent replication.
The Barracuda Appliance web interface is a modern, easy-to-use tool for configuring, monitoring and administering your Barracuda Backup solution from a centralized and web-accessible utility. A similar Cloud-to-Cloud Backup tool is also available. Both tools feature six tabs that open pages with a rich set of management capabilities.
Barracuda's web-based management tool simplifies the protection of local, multi-site, or cloud-based data
Barracuda Backup Physical and Virtual Appliances
- Dashboard: Provides a panoramic view of all devices on the subscriber's Barracuda Backup account. This section uses interactive graphs and tables to describe a wealth of information including the performance and health of local and offsite backups, agents, and data sources. Other information includes offsite transfer remaining, offsite transfer efficiency, storage efficiency, backup reports, storage allocation, current tasks, storage and transfer history, and Barracuda subscription information.
- Backup: Controls data sources and manages how data is backed up locally and replicated offsite. This section allows you to control replication from Barracuda appliances for disaster recovery, granular backup scheduling, directory and file exclusions, rate limits, and retention policies.
- Restore: Allows you to restore data from a local Barracuda physical or virtual appliance, replicated data from a remote appliance, or data from Barracuda Cloud Storage. The Restore Browser page lets you recover a range items that include Microsoft Hyper-V and VMware servers, Exchange Server, SQL Server databases, Active Directory objects, SharePoint objects, and Windows System State. The Restore Browser page also gives you access to LiveBoot, Cloud LiveBoot, and P2V restores. You can use the LiveBrowse feature to view and traverse file structures inside backed up Hyper-V and VMware VMDK, VHD, and VHDX files and you can download files and directories from Hyper-V and VMware snapshots.
- Reports: Allows you to view detailed reports on backups, restores, and large items, plus an audit log of all activities. The Backup Report includes a report detailing every backup that has been performed or is currently running. The tabular and sortable Restore Report provides details for a specified range of restore operations and includes any errors encountered and a list of restored content. The Large Items Report lists large files and includes the source and path of the data plus the size of the file before and after deduplication. The Audit Log Report shows all logged activities in the Barracuda Backup web interface for specified users and time periods.
- System: Allows you to manage firmware version and settings for Barracuda Backup and to download software tools to use with Barracuda Backup.
- Admin: Allows you to configure email notifications, authentication, and permissions for users, add and delete display groups to manage multiple Barracuda Backup appliances, activate an appliance, and add and configure your Amazon Web Services (AWS) Account to Barracuda Backup (this requires an AWS Replication subscription).
Barracuda Backup services can be deployed with any mix of physical Barracuda appliances, software-based virtual appliances that utilize your own compute and storage infrastructure (called Barracuda Backup Vx), or Cloud-to-Cloud backup. Barracuda's purpose-built physical appliances can include internal encryption technology and range from desktop devices with 1 TB of storage to rackmount 4 U hot-swappable arrays with capacities of up to 112 TB. Physical appliances incorporate Barracuda's software, storage and replication technology and, as part of the subscription service, require no up-front capital investment. Subscribers receive a free hardware refresh to the latest physical appliance model every four years. Advantages of a Barracuda physical appliance over a software-based virtual appliance include simplicity of integration and management plus reduced loading on production servers while performing CPU-intensive activities such as hashing blocks during deduplication, compression for offsite replication, and rehydration of data during restoration.
You can use Barracuda's physical or virtual appliances for local and off-site backup, replication and disaster recovery
Barracuda Backup Deduplication
Deduplication is a data compression technique that plays a critical role in any modern backup and recovery solution. Deduplication works by comparing incoming data blocks with backup data that has already been stored. Deduplication algorithms remove redundant incoming data blocks and substitute a concise reference to the data already stored. Barracuda Backup Agents (BBAs) deduplicate and compress local data, including Hyper-V VHD files, on the client-side host server before transmitting the deduplicated data to the physical or virtual Barracuda Backup appliance. By preventing redundant data from being sent to the Barracuda Backup appliance for processing, so-called source-based dedpulication reduces LAN network traffic and significantly shortens the backup window.
The Barracuda Backup Agent (BBA) deduplicates data at the source system to conserve LAN bandwidth
To backup VMware virtual disks, Barracuda Backup takes advantage of VMware's VADP technology, using Changed Block Tracking to avoid sending redundant data chunks to Barracuda Backup appliances.
How Progent Can Help You with Barracuda Backup
Progent's Microsoft-certified Hyper-V consultants and VMware-certified vSphere and vCenter experts can assist your business to design, install and manage a data backup and disaster recovery solution powered by Barracuda Backup. Progent's Exchange consultants can help you use Barracuda Backup to protect your Exchange Server deployment, and Progent's Amazon AWS hybrid cloud consulting experts can help you set up your AWS account to replicate and restore critical data. Progent's Disaster Recovery consultants can show you how Barracuda Backup's offsite and cloud replication capability can protect your vital business data and get you up and running fast in the event of a natural or human-made disaster, a ransomware attack, or any other catastrophic event. Progent's GIAC-certified information assurance consultants can evaluate the security and compliance of your backup ecosystem and can help you leverage affordable tools and smart processes and policies to survive in today's increasingly dangerous IT environment.
Additional High Availability Technologies Supported by Progent's Experts
Progent's Microsoft and Cisco consulting experts can help your business to create an efficient, fault-tolerant information network that resolves critical challenges covering a broad range of infrastructure technologies and operations including:
Business Continuity Planning
Progent's disaster recovery engineers can show you how to create a disaster recovery plan so you can restore IT operations in the event of an information system disaster. Progent can assist you to create a complete disaster recovery plan that includes periodic disaster recovery evaluations and testing. Progent's Microsoft and Cisco-authorized professionals can also show you how to build an affordable, high-availability network solution that takes into account availability issues involving a wide range of infrastructure technologies and procedures. To learn more, visit Business Continuity Consulting Services.
Managed Cloud Backup: ProSight Data Protection Services
ProSight Data Protection Services provide small and medium-sized businesses an affordable and fully managed solution for reliable backup/disaster recovery (BDR). For a low monthly cost, ProSight DPS automates and monitors your backup activities and enables rapid restoration of vital data, apps and VMs that have become lost or corrupted as a result of component failures, software glitches, disasters, human error, or malware attacks such as ransomware. ProSight Data Protection Services can help you back up, retrieve and restore files, folders, apps, system images, plus Microsoft Hyper-V and VMware virtual machine images. Critical data can be protected on the cloud, to a local device, or to both. Progent's BDR consultants can deliver advanced support to configure ProSight DPS to be compliant with government and industry regulatory requirements like HIPAA, FINRA, and PCI and, whenever needed, can help you to restore your critical data. Find out more about ProSight Data Protection Services Managed Cloud Backup.
Microsoft Server 2016 Disaster Recovery
Progent's Windows Server 2016 disaster recovery experts can assist you to design a disaster recovery system based on Microsoft's cloud-tested Failover Clustering technologies such as Cluster Operating System Rolling Upgrade for non-intrusive migration to Windows Server 2016, Storage Replica for zero-data-loss recovery, Storage Spaces Direct for high-performance storage clusters using industry-standard hardware, VM Load Balancing for enhancing the speed and fault-tolerance of Failover Clusters while minimizing capital investment and operational expenses, and Cloud Witness for easy, economical creation of a stretch cluster quorum arbitration point. To learn more, see Windows Server 2016 Disaster Recovery and Business Continuity Consulting.
Microsoft Server 2012 Failover Clusters
Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 introduced world-class availability and recoverability to Microsoft's clustering platform. Windows Server 2012 R2 builds on this foundation and delivers significant enhancements that offer more extensibility, non-stop disk storage availability for server applications, simpler administration, quicker failover, and additional options for architecting failover clusters. To find out more, visit Windows Server 2012 R2 Failover Clustering Integration.
VMware Site Recovery Manager (SRM) Disaster Recovery Solutions
VMware's Site Recovery Manager (SRM) is an extension to VMware vCenter that lets you define, automate and test a consistent workflow for restoring services rapidly after an outage. Site Recovery Manager provides centrally controlled and automated recovery, application mobility, and non-intrusive site migration, failback and site re-protect. Site Recovery Manager also enables non-disruptive testing for site recovery, upgrades and patches and can produce audit reports to verify complete service recovery, validate SLAs and demonstrate disaster recovery compliance. Progent can provide the skills of a VCDX certified VMware SRM consulting expert to help you to plan, configure, test and administer a DR solution based on VMware Site Recovery Manager.
NetApp MetroCluster High Availability and Disaster Recovery Platform
NetApp MetroCluster is a disaster recovery platform that uses failover storage clustering along with continual replication to provide rapid, zero data loss disaster recovery (DR) between sites that are up to 185 miles (300km) away from one another. Progent offers the skills of a certified NetApp MetroCluster expert who can assist you to design, deploy, manage, upgrade, test and troubleshoot a disaster recovery system based on NetApp MetroCluster. Progent can assist you to choose an architecture for your MetroCluster environment that aligns with your technical requirements and IT budget. Progent can make sure you follow leading practices for configuring your MetroCluster solution by providing help with tasks like assigning shelf IDs, arranging aggregate and plexes layout, setting up FlexVol volumes, setting up Data ONTAP configuration replication service, provisioning switches, designing a tiebreaker, setting up a TCP/IP configuration replication network between your storage clusters, and verifying your disaster recovery solution to prove adherence with information assurance standards and government requirements.
Fault Tolerant Load Balancing
Progent offers fault tolerant load balancing consulting that addresses network load balancing, load balanced programs, network backbone routing, and content dispatching technology including F5 Networks 3DNS. High availability load balancing technologies for which Progent offers consulting expertise include Microsoft Windows 2003 and 2008 Server Network Load Balancing Manager, Citrix Access Suite and Access Gateway, Cisco Content Services Switch, Cisco Distributed Director and ACNS, and F5 Networks BIG-IP. To learn more, go to Fault Tolerant Load Balancing.
Non-stop Internet Data Centers
Progent's Data Center consultants can help you identify fault-tolerant data centers that meet the particular needs of your company. Fault tolerant co-location sites are particularly attractive to small and mid-size companies because of their affordability and convenience in comparison to pursuing a do-it-yourself approach. Attempting to create an on-site data center with even a minimum level of fault tolerance is too costly for most small businesses. Progent is ready to help you get all the advantages of non-stop colocation centers by offering a complete range of engineering and support services. To find out more, go to Non-stop Colocation Consulting.
Failsafe Interoffice Networking
Progentís branch office network infrastructure consultants can help companies achieve fault tolerant branch office connectivity solutions through redundant networks with automatic failover. Progentís Cisco-certified CCIE engineers can design and implement ultra-reliable Inter-office connections based on fault tolerant EIGRP network routers or zero-downtime OSPF deployment of Cisco routers. Progent can show you how multi-path connectivity and automatic fail-over offers affordable 24x7 interoffice connectivity. To read more, see Failsafe Interoffice Connectivity.
Fault Tolerant Internet Connectivity
Progent's Cisco-certified IT professionals can help you build an economical, fault tolerant Internet configuration architecture that can deliver 24x7 Internet access through a broad range of fault tolerant Internet network technologies including fault tolerant BGP, automatic fail-over, and redundant Internet Service Providers. Progent offers Cisco Certified Internetwork Expert engineers to show you how to utilize the latest techniques for fault tolerant Internet connections to create an affordable, fully redundant Internet network with automatic failover and other features to create non-stop Internet access. To read more, see High Availability Internet Access Solutions.
Backup and Restore Technology Consultants
Progent can provide economical remote support from engineers with expertise in a broad array of products and technologies that provide solutions for protecting Windows, Apple Mac, and Linux/UNIX servers and desktops plus notebooks and smartphones. Progent can provide help for all major data protection products such as Acronis Backup and Recovery, Symantec Backup Exec, BackupAssist Software, CrashPlan PRO, Double-Take Software, MozyPro, Retrospect for Macintosh, Time Machine, VMware Data Recovery (VDR), and Solaris FLARs. Progent's consultants can assist your company to install, enhance, or troubleshoot data backup solutions for a range of environments including on-premises, remote, cloud, or hybrid. For details, visit Backup and Restore Solutions Consulting Services.
Microsoft System Center Data Protection Manager (SCDPM) Data Recovery Consulting
Progent's certified System Center Data Protection Manager engineers can help you to create an effective business continuity strategy, design an affordable high-availability network infrastructure, deploy a System Center Data Protection Manager-powered backup and recovery system, comprehensively test your DPM system, train your administrative personnel or local service providers how to maintain System Center Data Protection Manager, or provide extensive IT support outsourcing including off-site hosting of virtual or physical SCDPM machines in Progent's data center. To read more, see System Center Data Protection Manager Consulting.
Altaro VM Backup Solutions for Data Protection and Disaster Recovery
Altaro VM Backup software provides small and mid-size organizations a reliable and budget-friendly platform for backing up and recovering Hyper-V and VMware-powered virtual machines (VMs). Altaro VM Backup can be deployed in local, offsite, distributed, and cloud architectures and also supports low-cost backup to Microsoft Azure storage. Top capabilities include industry-leading Augmented Inline Deduplication to cut backup storage needs, Continuous Data Protection with backup spacing as low as five minutes for reducing your exposure to data loss, military-grade encryption, granular recovery capability for individual files and emails, extensive support for Windows Cluster Shared Volumes (CSV) and for VMware vCenter for handling large-scale environments, and support for Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) to back up live VMs with zero downtime. Progent is a certified Altaro partner and offers a broad array of services to help you to plan, install, optimize and troubleshoot a backup and disaster recovery system powered by Altaro VM Backup software. To read more, visit Altaro VM Backup Consulting Services.
Consulting Services Double-Take Solutions for Backup/Restore
Double-Take offers a selection of products intended to deliver small companies a variety of affordable solutions for backing up and recovering business-critical applications including Microsoft Exchange, SQL Server, RIM Blackberry, and SharePoint. Progentís disaster recovery planning experts have extensive backgrounds incorporating Double-Take Software products into small company IT systems to create a high level of fault tolerance and business continuity capability at a budget-friendly cost. To read more, visit Consulting for Double-Take Software for Data Backup.
CRISC-Premier IT Risk Control
The CRISC certification program was initiated by ISACA in 2010 to validate an IT professional's skills to plan, deploy, and support information system controls to reduce risk. Progent offers the services of a CRISC-certified consultant to help your company to develop and execute a business continuity plan based on industry best practices identified by CRISC and crafted to align with your organization's risk tolerance, business goals, and IT budget. To learn more, see CRISC-Premier IT risk management experts.
Why Choose Progent for Disaster Recovery/Business Continuity Planning Solutions?
Since Progent is a Microsoft Partner and offers specialized application support for a wide variety of business software programs, Progent can assist customers to arrive at efficient IT solutions that substantially enhance the business value of your information system. As a Registered Partner with Cisco, Progent can provide the support of premier consultants and specialists with expertise in designing, implementing and maintaining networking environments built on Cisco technology. The depth of Progent's IT experience and Progent's familiarity with the needs of small businesses make Progent a great partner for creating and maintaining an affordable, fault-tolerant information system.
How to Contact Progent's Experts for Business Continuity Solutions Help
To contact Progent about consulting help for workplace recovery solutions, call 1-800-993-9400 or visit Contact Progent.