Barracuda Backup: Cloud-integrated Backup and Disaster Recovery
Barracuda Backup is a low-cost, subscription-based backup and disaster recovery service for small and medium-size businesses. The Barracuda Backup solution can include a physical, purpose-built Barracuda appliance or a virtual, software-based appliance with similar functionality but which uses your own storage hardware. Barracuda Backup protects critical business data generated on-premises, at one or more remote sites, or in the cloud. For disaster preparedness, you can replicate data to the Barracuda Cloud, to Amazon Web Services (AWS), or to any private location you designate. A simple-to-operate and web-accessible management and reporting console makes it easy to administer and monitor all backup, replication, retention and recovery processes in real time.
Key features of Barracuda Backup include:
Progent is a certified Barracuda partner and offers a wide array of consulting and management services to help you design, integrate, operate and troubleshoot a backup and disaster recovery solution built on Barracuda technology. Progent also offers ProSight Data Protection Services managed backup as an affordable turnkey service that allows you to outsource the management of your backup/recovery system. ProSight Data Protection Services incorporates cloud-based backup technology developed by Intronis, a company acquired by Barracuda. Progent's Hyper-V consulting experts and VMware consultants can assist your business to plan and configure virtual machine deployments that utilize any combination of local, remote and cloud-based resources. Progent can also provide advanced business continuity/disaster recovery (BCDR) planning consulting to help businesses of any size to recover quickly from cyber attacks such as ransomware or from other catastrophic events caused by natural or human-caused disasters, hardware breakdowns, or other reasons.
- LiveBoot and Cloud LiveBoot enable recovery Microsoft Hyper-V and VMware VMs in minutes, minimizing business disruption
- Cloud-to-Cloud Backup protects against data loss in Microsoft Office 365 and Exchange Online environments
- Offsite vaulting of historical revisions conserves local storage resources so they can be used for production applications
- In-line deduplication and data compression can cut storage requirements and network bandwidth usage in half
Capabilities of Barracuda Backup
Barracuda Backup offers small and mid-size organizations a full-featured data protection solution by providing advanced capabilities in the areas of backup, recovery and management. Barracuda Backup protects the most popular operating systems, the most widely used versions of Hyper-V and VMware, and cloud-hosted Microsoft applications. Mission-critical servers can be backed up as often as every 15 minutes to support a low Recovery Point Objective (RPO). Replication to offsite datacenters and to the cloud facilitate disaster recovery and offer deployment options to suit any SMB.
Mac OS X
Barracuda Backup works with popular operating systems, hypervisors and cloud-hosted applications
Secure Backup and Replication
Barracuda Backup utilizes a physical or virtual (software-based) onsite appliance that securely and automatically replicates data offsite. Local backup allows fast restores, and offsite replication supports disaster recovery.
Restore and Disaster Recovery
- Hardware-Encrypted Appliance: Barracuda Encrypted Backup is a service option that uses disk drives which can be read only when the drives are installed in the physical Barracuda appliance. In case the entire encrypted appliance is taken from a site, disk data can only be read after a power-on password is correctly entered. Native encryption technology is incorporated in the drives used in this option, which eliminates the dramatic performance loss associated with software-based encryption.
- Inline Deduplication and Compression: Barracuda Backup services using either physical or virtual appliances include Inline, block-level, source-based and target-based deduplication and compression. This results in a significant reduction in storage and bandwidth use and cuts the time it takes to complete backup and replication operations. Barracuda's variable block deduplication algorithms evaluate data type and chunk size in order to determine a block size that delivers the highest degree of deduplication. For businesses with multiple locations, Barracuda's advanced global deduplication and cloud storage technology offer significant savings in storage infrastructure without compromising data protection.
- Secure and Efficient Replication: Barracuda Backup offers a variety of low-cost options for copying business-critical data offsite to protect against local events that may disable your datacenter. You can use built-in WAN acceleration to replicate protected data to the Barracuda Cloud, to the Amazon Web Services (AWS) cloud, or to a Barracuda physical or virtual backup appliance located at any remote location. You can also export replicated data to external disk, tape, autoloaders, or robotic libraries. Wherever you choose to replicate your data, it will be transferred and stored using military-grade 256-bit AES encryption. Barracuda replication can use VMware Changed Block Tracking (CBT) and requires only a single agent for Windows systems and apps.
- Offsite Vaulting: To help businesses comply with internal or regulatory retention policies and to reduce the cost of storing archival backups, Barracuda Backup supports offsite vaulting. You can transfer on-premises copies of monthly and yearly backups from a local Barracuda appliance to the Barracuda Cloud or to a different Barracuda appliance.
- Cloud-to-Cloud Backup: To recover from data loss due to human error such as accidental deletions, Barracuda offers Cloud-to-Cloud Backup for Microsoft Office 365. This can protect Exchange Online mailboxes and OneDrive for Business files and folders.
Barracuda Backup supports a variety of recovery options for physical servers and virtual machines. You can restore data from a local Barracuda Backup appliance, from a remote Barracuda Backup appliance that has been used to replicate that system, or from Barracuda Cloud Storage.
Management and Reporting
- P2V Restores: You can restore physical server backups into a virtual environment (P2V restores) hosted by VMware vSphere or Microsoft Hyper-V.
- Bare Metal Recovery (BMR): Bare metal recovery lets you restore a complete Windows computer system, including data, settings, applications, and operating system, onto a new computer on which no software has been installed. BMR is useful for a variety of common restoration scenarios including replacing a lost notebook or provisioning a new one, refreshing a server's hardware, moving from a physical to a virtual server, migrating from a rotating disk to a solid-state drive, or recovering from a cyber attack that corrupted your operating system.
- LiveBoot: The LiveBoot feature allows instant recovery of VMware virtual guest machines. If your primary storage system fails, Barracuda Backup can operate as data storage for your VMware ESXi server. You can recover any revision of a guest VM based on your retention policy and immediately use files and applications in their deduplicated state stored within Barracuda Backup. You can also use LiveBoot for granular file-level recovery as well as for item-level recovery for supported applications including Exchange, Microsoft SQL, and SharePoint.
- Cloud LiveBoot: When you back up a Hyper-V or VMware virtual guest server and replicate to Barracuda Cloud Storage, you can boot the server in Barracuda's Cloud directly from the Barracuda Backup web interface with no additional configuration. You can recover any revision of a virtual guest server within your retention policy, boot virtual servers in the cloud to recover and traverse the file structure of virtual guest system data, and retrieve individual Active Directory (AD) objects. For testing purposes, you can boot the virtual guest system to confirm data integrity or to set up a sandbox for trying out new or updated applications without risk to your production environment.
- Granular Recovery: From the Barracuda Backup web interface you can recover an entire share, a file, a file system directory, a mailbox, mailbox folders, or individual messages. You can restore data to its original location or to any other networked computer where the Barracuda Backup Agent is installed.
- Retention Policies: Barracuda Backup retention policies allow you to keep historic data based on daily, weekly, monthly, or yearly time intervals. You can create Barracuda Backup retention policies for different sets of data including VMs, email messages, and data backed up by the Barracuda Backup Agent including Exchange, SQL, Hyper-V, and System State. This flexibility allows you to comply with regulatory or litigation requirements and fine tune data protection and disaster recovery plans.
- Microsoft Exchange Support: Barracuda Backup automatically creates a recovery mailbox database for Microsoft Exchange Server 2013 and higher. You can restore individual Exchange Mailbox folders, such as the Inbox, as well as Contacts, Calendars, and Notes. You can also use Barracuda Backup's web interface to view, search, and restore individual Microsoft Exchange messages. You can view all of the messages within an individual mailbox and you can perform a string search across multiple mailboxes.
- VMware CBT Restores: VMware Changed Block Tracking (CBT) is used to perform incremental backups on VMware ESX/ESXi VMs. CBT identifies and tracks block changes that occurred after the most recent backup and logs these changes. This significantly lowers the number and duration of backup windows and improves the speed and efficiency of subsequent replication.
The Barracuda Appliance web interface is a modern, easy-to-use tool for configuring, monitoring and administering your Barracuda Backup solution from a centralized and web-accessible utility. A similar Cloud-to-Cloud Backup tool is also available. Both tools feature six tabs that open pages with a rich set of management capabilities.
Barracuda's web-based management tool simplifies the protection of local, multi-site, or cloud-based data
Barracuda Backup Physical and Virtual Appliances
- Dashboard: Provides a panoramic view of all devices on the subscriber's Barracuda Backup account. This section uses interactive graphs and tables to describe a wealth of information including the performance and health of local and offsite backups, agents, and data sources. Other information includes offsite transfer remaining, offsite transfer efficiency, storage efficiency, backup reports, storage allocation, current tasks, storage and transfer history, and Barracuda subscription information.
- Backup: Controls data sources and manages how data is backed up locally and replicated offsite. This section allows you to control replication from Barracuda appliances for disaster recovery, granular backup scheduling, directory and file exclusions, rate limits, and retention policies.
- Restore: Allows you to restore data from a local Barracuda physical or virtual appliance, replicated data from a remote appliance, or data from Barracuda Cloud Storage. The Restore Browser page lets you recover a range items that include Microsoft Hyper-V and VMware servers, Exchange Server, SQL Server databases, Active Directory objects, SharePoint objects, and Windows System State. The Restore Browser page also gives you access to LiveBoot, Cloud LiveBoot, and P2V restores. You can use the LiveBrowse feature to view and traverse file structures inside backed up Hyper-V and VMware VMDK, VHD, and VHDX files and you can download files and directories from Hyper-V and VMware snapshots.
- Reports: Allows you to view detailed reports on backups, restores, and large items, plus an audit log of all activities. The Backup Report includes a report detailing every backup that has been performed or is currently running. The tabular and sortable Restore Report provides details for a specified range of restore operations and includes any errors encountered and a list of restored content. The Large Items Report lists large files and includes the source and path of the data plus the size of the file before and after deduplication. The Audit Log Report shows all logged activities in the Barracuda Backup web interface for specified users and time periods.
- System: Allows you to manage firmware version and settings for Barracuda Backup and to download software tools to use with Barracuda Backup.
- Admin: Allows you to configure email notifications, authentication, and permissions for users, add and delete display groups to manage multiple Barracuda Backup appliances, activate an appliance, and add and configure your Amazon Web Services (AWS) Account to Barracuda Backup (this requires an AWS Replication subscription).
Barracuda Backup services can be deployed with any mix of physical Barracuda appliances, software-based virtual appliances that utilize your own compute and storage infrastructure (called Barracuda Backup Vx), or Cloud-to-Cloud backup. Barracuda's purpose-built physical appliances can include internal encryption technology and range from desktop devices with 1 TB of storage to rackmount 4 U hot-swappable arrays with capacities of up to 112 TB. Physical appliances incorporate Barracuda's software, storage and replication technology and, as part of the subscription service, require no up-front capital investment. Subscribers receive a free hardware refresh to the latest physical appliance model every four years. Advantages of a Barracuda physical appliance over a software-based virtual appliance include simplicity of integration and management plus reduced loading on production servers while performing CPU-intensive activities such as hashing blocks during deduplication, compression for offsite replication, and rehydration of data during restoration.
You can use Barracuda's physical or virtual appliances for local and off-site backup, replication and disaster recovery
Barracuda Backup Deduplication
Deduplication is a data compression technique that plays a critical role in any modern backup and recovery solution. Deduplication works by comparing incoming data blocks with backup data that has already been stored. Deduplication algorithms remove redundant incoming data blocks and substitute a concise reference to the data already stored. Barracuda Backup Agents (BBAs) deduplicate and compress local data, including Hyper-V VHD files, on the client-side host server before transmitting the deduplicated data to the physical or virtual Barracuda Backup appliance. By preventing redundant data from being sent to the Barracuda Backup appliance for processing, so-called source-based dedpulication reduces LAN network traffic and significantly shortens the backup window.
The Barracuda Backup Agent (BBA) deduplicates data at the source system to conserve LAN bandwidth
To backup VMware virtual disks, Barracuda Backup takes advantage of VMware's VADP technology, using Changed Block Tracking to avoid sending redundant data chunks to Barracuda Backup appliances.
How Progent Can Help You with Barracuda Backup
Progent's Microsoft-certified Hyper-V consultants and VMware-certified vSphere and vCenter experts can assist your business to design, install and manage a data backup and disaster recovery solution powered by Barracuda Backup. Progent's Exchange consultants can help you use Barracuda Backup to protect your Exchange Server deployment, and Progent's Amazon AWS hybrid cloud consulting experts can help you set up your AWS account to replicate and restore critical data. Progent's Disaster Recovery consultants can show you how Barracuda Backup's offsite and cloud replication capability can protect your vital business data and get you up and running fast in the event of a natural or human-made disaster, a ransomware attack, or any other catastrophic event. Progent's GIAC-certified information assurance consultants can evaluate the security and compliance of your backup ecosystem and can help you leverage affordable tools and smart processes and policies to survive in today's increasingly dangerous IT environment.
Fault Tolerant Solutions Supported by Progent's Experts
Progent's certified support professionals can assist your company to build a cost-effective, non-stop environment that addresses major problems covering a broad range of infrastructure solutions and operations including:
Workplace Recovery Planning
Progent's business continuity engineers can help you create a disaster recovery plan so you can resume IT functionality in case of an IT network catastrophe. Progent can help you to create a comprehensive disaster recovery plan that includes scheduled disaster recovery evaluations and drills. Progent's Microsoft and Cisco-authorized consultants can also help you build an affordable, fault-tolerant network architecture that takes into account reliability issues covering a broad array of network technologies and procedures. To read more, visit Business Continuity Consulting.
CRISC-Premier IT Risk Mitigation
The Certified in Risk and Information Systems Control (CRISC) certification program was initiated by ISACA to validate an IT professional's ability to design, deploy, and support IS controls to reduce network risk. Progent offers the services of a CRISC-certified engineer to assist your company to develop and execute a workplace continuity or disaster recovery plan that follows industry best practices identified by CRISC and crafted to align with your organization's risk appetite, business goals, and budgetary guidelines. For more information, see CRISC-Premier IT risk management experts.
Windows Server 2019 High Availability Failover Clustering
Microsoft Windows Server 2019 offers important improvements in capacity, throughput, management, cybersecurity, application compatibility, Linux support, Kubernetes technology, and hybrid integration of on-premises and cloud-hosted resources. Headline enhancements of Windows Server 2019 are Windows Admin Center for centralizing the management and monitoring of hybrid on-premises/cloud resources, System Insights for taking advantage of advance predictive intelligence to manage local environments, Windows Defender Advanced Threat Protection Exploit Guard for host-intrusion prevention, container networking using Kubernetes, Cluster Sets technology for creating and managing large non-stop scale-out clusters, and Storage Migration Service for streamlining the migration from legacy versions of Windows Server. For details, go to Microsoft Server 2019 High Availability Failover Clustering Consulting.
Windows Server 2016 Disaster Recovery and Business Continuity
Progent's Windows Server 2016 disaster recovery experts can assist your organization to design a disaster recovery solution based on Microsoft's latest Failover Clustering tools including Cluster Operating System Rolling Upgrade for non-intrusive migration to Windows Server 2016, Storage Replica for zero-data-loss recovery, Storage Spaces Direct for high-performance network-attached storage using commodity hardware, Virtual Machine Load Balancing for enhancing the performance and fault-tolerance of Failover Clusters while minimizing TCO and operational expenses, and Cloud Witness for fast, economical creation of a stretch cluster quorum witness. For details, go to Windows Server 2016 Disaster Recovery Help.
VMware Site Recovery Manager (SRM) Disaster Recovery Solutions
VMware's Site Recovery Manager (SRM) is an extension to VMware vCenter that allows you to define, automate and verify a repeatable workflow for restoring applications and services quickly following an outage. SRM supports centrally managed and automated disaster recovery, application mobility, plus non-disruptive site relocation, failback and re-protect. SRM also allows transparent testing for disaster recovery, upgrades and patches and can produce reports to verify full service recovery, validate SLAs and prove DR compliance. Progent offers the skills of a VCDX certified VMware SRM consulting expert to help your organization to design, configure, test and administer a disaster recovery solution powered by VMware Site Recovery Manager.
NetApp MetroCluster High Availability and Disaster Recovery Platform
NetApp MetroCluster is a disaster recovery software suite that uses array-based storage clustering with synchronous replication to provide fast, zero data loss disaster recovery (DR) between sites located up to 185 miles (300km) away from one another. Progent offers access to a NetApp MetroCluster expert who can help you to design, deploy, manage, update, test and troubleshoot a disaster recovery system based on NetApp MetroCluster. Progent can assist you to select an architecture for your MetroCluster environment that aligns with your functional requirements and IT budget. Progent can ensure you adhere to best practices for installing your MetroCluster solution by delivering help with tasks like assigning shelf IDs, determining plexes layout, provisioning volumes, setting up Data ONTAP configuration replication service, provisioning switches, implementing a tiebreaker mechanism, setting up a TCP/IP configuration replication network, and verifying your MetroCluster disaster recovery solution to show compliance with industry standards and regulatory mandates.
High Availability Load Balancing
Progent provides fault tolerant load balancing support covering network load balancing, load balanced applications, network infrastructure routing, and content dispatching products including Cisco Content Engine. High availability load balancing technologies for which Progent offers consulting services include Windows 2003 and 2008 Server Network Load Balancing Manager, Citrix Metaframe and Presentation Server, Cisco Content Services Switch, Cisco Distributed Director and ACNS, and F5 Networks BIG-IP. To learn more, go to Non-stop Load Balancing.
Fault Tolerant Colocation
Progent's Data Center consultants can show you how to identify zero-downtime data centers that match the specific needs of your company. Fault tolerant colocation sites are especially attractive to small and mid-size organizations due to of their low cost and convenience in comparison to pursuing a do-it-yourself approach. Trying to design an in-house data center that offers even a basic level of fault tolerance is too expensive for the majority of small organizations. Progent can show you how to reap all the benefits of non-stop colocation facilities by offering a complete array of engineering and support services. For more information, go to Non-stop Internet Data Centers Expertise.
Fault Tolerant Interoffice Networking
Progent’s inter-site network infrastructure professionals can help companies create zero-downtime multi-site connections through fully redundant networks with transparent failover. Progent’s Cisco-certified CCIE engineers can design and deploy high-availability Inter-office networks supported by fault tolerant EIGRP network routers or fault tolerant OSPF configurations of Cisco routers. Progent can show you how multi-path connections and automatic fail-over offers affordable non-stop interoffice connectivity. To read more, see Failsafe Interoffice Connectivity.
Fault Tolerant Internet Connections
Progent's Cisco-authorized IT consultants can help you design an economical, fault tolerant Internet connection solution that can achieve non-stop Internet connectivity via a wide array of fault tolerant Internet access solutions including high availability BGP, transparent fail-over, and redundant ISPs. Progent can provide Cisco Certified Internetwork Expert professionals to help you utilize the most up-to-date technology for fault tolerant Internet access to build a cost-effective, completely redundant Internet network with automatic failover and other features to deliver fault tolerant Internet connections. To learn more, see High Availability Internet Access Architecture.
Backup and Restore Technology Consulting
Progent can provide affordable online access to consultants skilled in a broad array of products and services that provide solutions for backing up Microsoft Windows, Mac, and Linux/UNIX physical and virtual servers and workstations as well as laptops and handhelds. Progent offers expertise for leading data protection platforms including Acronis, Backup Exec, BackupAssist Software, CrashPlan, Double-Take Software, MozyPro, Retrospect for Macintosh, Apple Time Machine, vSphere Data Protection, and Oracle Solaris FLARs. Progent's consultants can help you to implement, upgrade, or troubleshoot backup/restore solutions for a variety of topologies including local, remote, cloud, or hybrid. To read more, see Backup and Restore Solutions Consulting and Support Services.
System Center Data Protection Manager Backup and Restore Consulting Experts
Progent's certified System Center Data Protection Manager consultants can assist your company to develop an effective business continuity plan, implement an affordable high-availability IT architecture, deploy a System Center Data Protection Manager-based recovery system, thoroughly validate your system, train your administrative staff or local service providers how to maintain Microsoft SCDPM, or provide extensive information technology outsourcing services such as off-site hosting of SCDPM servers in Progent's data center. To learn more, go to Microsoft SCDPM Consulting.
ProSight DPS Altaro VM Backup Software for Backup and Disaster Recovery
Altaro VM Backup software provides small and mid-size organizations a dependable and affordable solution for backing up and restoring Hyper-V and VMware-based virtual machines (VMs). Altaro VM Backup can be deployed in on-premises, offsite, distributed, and cloud-hosted environments and also enables low-cost backup to Azure Block Blob storage. Progent is an Altaro partner and can provide a wide array of online or on-premises consulting services to help you to plan, deploy, manage and debug a modern backup/restore solution based on Altaro VM Backup. With ProSight DPS Altaro VM Backup, Progent offers a fully managed backup/restore service powered by on Altaro VM Backup technology. To learn more, see Altaro VM Backup certified consultants.
ProSight Data Protection Services Altaro O365 Total Backup Solutions
Microsoft 365 (previously named Office 365) provides simple archiving but does not have integrated support for key data protection services such as Exchange Online backups or greater than 30-day point-in-time recovery for OneDrive or SharePoint Online. Altaro O365 Backup delivers a full-featured platform for programmable backup and rapid recovery of all your organization's O365 mail, Teams Chats, SharePoint sites, and OneDrive files. Progent is an Altaro partner and has designed ProSight Data Protection Services (DPS) O365 Backup to provide end-to-end management services for Altaro's O365 data protection suite. ProSight Data Protection Services O365 delivers an affordable backup-as-a-service alternative that protects O365 apps against data loss caused by human or system mistakes, malevolent deletion, and malware assaults such as ransomware. For details, see ProSight Data Protection Services Altaro O365 Backup solutions.
Fully Managed Cloud Backup: ProSight Data Protection Services ECHO
ProSight Data Protection Services ECHO provide small and medium-sized organizations a low cost and fully managed solution for reliable backup/disaster recovery. Available at a fixed monthly price, ProSight DPS ECHO automates and monitors your backup processes and allow rapid recovery of critical data, applications and virtual machines that have become lost or corrupted as a result of component failures, software glitches, natural disasters, human mistakes, or malicious attacks like ransomware. ProSight DPS ECHO can help you protect, recover and restore files, folders, apps, system images, as well as Microsoft Hyper-V and VMware images. Critical data can be backed up on the cloud, to a local storage device, or to both. Progent's BDR specialists can deliver world-class support to set up ProSight Data Protection Services ECHO to be compliant with regulatory requirements such as HIPAA, FIRPA, and PCI and, whenever necessary, can help you to restore your business-critical information. Find out more about ProSight DPS ECHO managed backup and recovery.
ProSight Data Protection Services 360 Backup Services
Progent can help your company to design, implement and troubleshoot a backup/restore solution based on MSP360 technology. MSP360 enables file or image backup/restore for virtual machines and physical computers, works with all popular public clouds, and allows businesses to build a backup ecosystem with a low Recovery Time Objective (RTO) and a granular Recovery Point Objective (RPO). With ProSight Data Protection Services 360 Backup, Progent offers comprehensive monitoring and remote management of your backup environment to protect against data loss caused by user mistakes, computer errors, ill-intentioned users, and external assaults like ransomware. For more information, visit ProSight DPS 360 Backup solutions.
Consulting Services Double-Take Solutions for Data Backup and Recovery
Double-Take Software offers a selection of products intended to provide small and midsize businesses a range of affordable alternatives for replicating and restoring business-critical workloads such as Exchange, Microsoft SQL, RIM Blackberry, and Microsoft Office SharePoint. Progent’s disaster recovery planning experts have extensive experience integrating Double-Take Software products into small company IT systems to create an advanced level of fault tolerance and business continuity capability at a budget-friendly price. To read more, see Consulting Services Double-Take Solutions for Data Backup.
Why Pick Progent for Disaster Recovery/Business Continuity Planning?
Since Progent is a Microsoft Partner and offers high-level application support for a wide variety of business applications, Progent is able to assist customers to arrive at comprehensive information technology solutions that maximize the productivity of your IT network. As a Registered Partner for Cisco, Progent can provide the support of certified engineers and specialists with expertise in designing, implementing and supporting infrastructure solutions based on Cisco technology. The depth of Progent's technical know-how and Progent's appreciation for the needs of small companies make Progent the perfect resource for creating and running a cost-effective, high-availability network.
How to Access Progent's Consultants for Business Continuity Solutions Support
In order to ask Progent about engineering support for workplace recovery solutions, call 1-800-993-9400 or visit Contact Progent.