Barracuda Backup: Cloud-integrated Backup and Disaster Recovery
Barracuda Backup is a low-cost, subscription-based backup and disaster recovery service for small and medium-size businesses. The Barracuda Backup solution can include a physical, purpose-built Barracuda appliance or a virtual, software-based appliance with similar functionality but which uses your own storage hardware. Barracuda Backup protects critical business data generated on-premises, at one or more remote sites, or in the cloud. For disaster preparedness, you can replicate data to the Barracuda Cloud, to Amazon Web Services (AWS), or to any private location you designate. A simple-to-operate and web-accessible management and reporting console makes it easy to administer and monitor all backup, replication, retention and recovery processes in real time.
Key features of Barracuda Backup include:
Progent is a certified Barracuda partner and offers a wide array of consulting and management services to help you design, integrate, operate and troubleshoot a backup and disaster recovery solution built on Barracuda technology. Progent also offers ProSight Data Protection Services managed backup as an affordable turnkey service that allows you to outsource the management of your backup/recovery system. ProSight Data Protection Services incorporates cloud-based backup technology developed by Intronis, a company acquired by Barracuda. Progent's Hyper-V consulting experts and VMware consultants can assist your business to plan and configure virtual machine deployments that utilize any combination of local, remote and cloud-based resources. Progent can also provide advanced business continuity/disaster recovery (BCDR) planning consulting to help businesses of any size to recover quickly from cyber attacks such as ransomware or from other catastrophic events caused by natural or human-caused disasters, hardware breakdowns, or other reasons.
- LiveBoot and Cloud LiveBoot enable recovery Microsoft Hyper-V and VMware VMs in minutes, minimizing business disruption
- Cloud-to-Cloud Backup protects against data loss in Microsoft Office 365 and Exchange Online environments
- Offsite vaulting of historical revisions conserves local storage resources so they can be used for production applications
- In-line deduplication and data compression can cut storage requirements and network bandwidth usage in half
Capabilities of Barracuda Backup
Barracuda Backup offers small and mid-size organizations a full-featured data protection solution by providing advanced capabilities in the areas of backup, recovery and management. Barracuda Backup protects the most popular operating systems, the most widely used versions of Hyper-V and VMware, and cloud-hosted Microsoft applications. Mission-critical servers can be backed up as often as every 15 minutes to support a low Recovery Point Objective (RPO). Replication to offsite datacenters and to the cloud facilitate disaster recovery and offer deployment options to suit any SMB.
Mac OS X
Barracuda Backup works with popular operating systems, hypervisors and cloud-hosted applications
Secure Backup and Replication
Barracuda Backup utilizes a physical or virtual (software-based) onsite appliance that securely and automatically replicates data offsite. Local backup allows fast restores, and offsite replication supports disaster recovery.
Restore and Disaster Recovery
- Hardware-Encrypted Appliance: Barracuda Encrypted Backup is a service option that uses disk drives which can be read only when the drives are installed in the physical Barracuda appliance. In case the entire encrypted appliance is taken from a site, disk data can only be read after a power-on password is correctly entered. Native encryption technology is incorporated in the drives used in this option, which eliminates the dramatic performance loss associated with software-based encryption.
- Inline Deduplication and Compression: Barracuda Backup services using either physical or virtual appliances include Inline, block-level, source-based and target-based deduplication and compression. This results in a significant reduction in storage and bandwidth use and cuts the time it takes to complete backup and replication operations. Barracuda's variable block deduplication algorithms evaluate data type and chunk size in order to determine a block size that delivers the highest degree of deduplication. For businesses with multiple locations, Barracuda's advanced global deduplication and cloud storage technology offer significant savings in storage infrastructure without compromising data protection.
- Secure and Efficient Replication: Barracuda Backup offers a variety of low-cost options for copying business-critical data offsite to protect against local events that may disable your datacenter. You can use built-in WAN acceleration to replicate protected data to the Barracuda Cloud, to the Amazon Web Services (AWS) cloud, or to a Barracuda physical or virtual backup appliance located at any remote location. You can also export replicated data to external disk, tape, autoloaders, or robotic libraries. Wherever you choose to replicate your data, it will be transferred and stored using military-grade 256-bit AES encryption. Barracuda replication can use VMware Changed Block Tracking (CBT) and requires only a single agent for Windows systems and apps.
- Offsite Vaulting: To help businesses comply with internal or regulatory retention policies and to reduce the cost of storing archival backups, Barracuda Backup supports offsite vaulting. You can transfer on-premises copies of monthly and yearly backups from a local Barracuda appliance to the Barracuda Cloud or to a different Barracuda appliance.
- Cloud-to-Cloud Backup: To recover from data loss due to human error such as accidental deletions, Barracuda offers Cloud-to-Cloud Backup for Microsoft Office 365. This can protect Exchange Online mailboxes and OneDrive for Business files and folders.
Barracuda Backup supports a variety of recovery options for physical servers and virtual machines. You can restore data from a local Barracuda Backup appliance, from a remote Barracuda Backup appliance that has been used to replicate that system, or from Barracuda Cloud Storage.
Management and Reporting
- P2V Restores: You can restore physical server backups into a virtual environment (P2V restores) hosted by VMware vSphere or Microsoft Hyper-V.
- Bare Metal Recovery (BMR): Bare metal recovery lets you restore a complete Windows computer system, including data, settings, applications, and operating system, onto a new computer on which no software has been installed. BMR is useful for a variety of common restoration scenarios including replacing a lost notebook or provisioning a new one, refreshing a server's hardware, moving from a physical to a virtual server, migrating from a rotating disk to a solid-state drive, or recovering from a cyber attack that corrupted your operating system.
- LiveBoot: The LiveBoot feature allows instant recovery of VMware virtual guest machines. If your primary storage system fails, Barracuda Backup can operate as data storage for your VMware ESXi server. You can recover any revision of a guest VM based on your retention policy and immediately use files and applications in their deduplicated state stored within Barracuda Backup. You can also use LiveBoot for granular file-level recovery as well as for item-level recovery for supported applications including Exchange, Microsoft SQL, and SharePoint.
- Cloud LiveBoot: When you back up a Hyper-V or VMware virtual guest server and replicate to Barracuda Cloud Storage, you can boot the server in Barracuda's Cloud directly from the Barracuda Backup web interface with no additional configuration. You can recover any revision of a virtual guest server within your retention policy, boot virtual servers in the cloud to recover and traverse the file structure of virtual guest system data, and retrieve individual Active Directory (AD) objects. For testing purposes, you can boot the virtual guest system to confirm data integrity or to set up a sandbox for trying out new or updated applications without risk to your production environment.
- Granular Recovery: From the Barracuda Backup web interface you can recover an entire share, a file, a file system directory, a mailbox, mailbox folders, or individual messages. You can restore data to its original location or to any other networked computer where the Barracuda Backup Agent is installed.
- Retention Policies: Barracuda Backup retention policies allow you to keep historic data based on daily, weekly, monthly, or yearly time intervals. You can create Barracuda Backup retention policies for different sets of data including VMs, email messages, and data backed up by the Barracuda Backup Agent including Exchange, SQL, Hyper-V, and System State. This flexibility allows you to comply with regulatory or litigation requirements and fine tune data protection and disaster recovery plans.
- Microsoft Exchange Support: Barracuda Backup automatically creates a recovery mailbox database for Microsoft Exchange Server 2013 and higher. You can restore individual Exchange Mailbox folders, such as the Inbox, as well as Contacts, Calendars, and Notes. You can also use Barracuda Backup's web interface to view, search, and restore individual Microsoft Exchange messages. You can view all of the messages within an individual mailbox and you can perform a string search across multiple mailboxes.
- VMware CBT Restores: VMware Changed Block Tracking (CBT) is used to perform incremental backups on VMware ESX/ESXi VMs. CBT identifies and tracks block changes that occurred after the most recent backup and logs these changes. This significantly lowers the number and duration of backup windows and improves the speed and efficiency of subsequent replication.
The Barracuda Appliance web interface is a modern, easy-to-use tool for configuring, monitoring and administering your Barracuda Backup solution from a centralized and web-accessible utility. A similar Cloud-to-Cloud Backup tool is also available. Both tools feature six tabs that open pages with a rich set of management capabilities.
Barracuda's web-based management tool simplifies the protection of local, multi-site, or cloud-based data
Barracuda Backup Physical and Virtual Appliances
- Dashboard: Provides a panoramic view of all devices on the subscriber's Barracuda Backup account. This section uses interactive graphs and tables to describe a wealth of information including the performance and health of local and offsite backups, agents, and data sources. Other information includes offsite transfer remaining, offsite transfer efficiency, storage efficiency, backup reports, storage allocation, current tasks, storage and transfer history, and Barracuda subscription information.
- Backup: Controls data sources and manages how data is backed up locally and replicated offsite. This section allows you to control replication from Barracuda appliances for disaster recovery, granular backup scheduling, directory and file exclusions, rate limits, and retention policies.
- Restore: Allows you to restore data from a local Barracuda physical or virtual appliance, replicated data from a remote appliance, or data from Barracuda Cloud Storage. The Restore Browser page lets you recover a range items that include Microsoft Hyper-V and VMware servers, Exchange Server, SQL Server databases, Active Directory objects, SharePoint objects, and Windows System State. The Restore Browser page also gives you access to LiveBoot, Cloud LiveBoot, and P2V restores. You can use the LiveBrowse feature to view and traverse file structures inside backed up Hyper-V and VMware VMDK, VHD, and VHDX files and you can download files and directories from Hyper-V and VMware snapshots.
- Reports: Allows you to view detailed reports on backups, restores, and large items, plus an audit log of all activities. The Backup Report includes a report detailing every backup that has been performed or is currently running. The tabular and sortable Restore Report provides details for a specified range of restore operations and includes any errors encountered and a list of restored content. The Large Items Report lists large files and includes the source and path of the data plus the size of the file before and after deduplication. The Audit Log Report shows all logged activities in the Barracuda Backup web interface for specified users and time periods.
- System: Allows you to manage firmware version and settings for Barracuda Backup and to download software tools to use with Barracuda Backup.
- Admin: Allows you to configure email notifications, authentication, and permissions for users, add and delete display groups to manage multiple Barracuda Backup appliances, activate an appliance, and add and configure your Amazon Web Services (AWS) Account to Barracuda Backup (this requires an AWS Replication subscription).
Barracuda Backup services can be deployed with any mix of physical Barracuda appliances, software-based virtual appliances that utilize your own compute and storage infrastructure (called Barracuda Backup Vx), or Cloud-to-Cloud backup. Barracuda's purpose-built physical appliances can include internal encryption technology and range from desktop devices with 1 TB of storage to rackmount 4 U hot-swappable arrays with capacities of up to 112 TB. Physical appliances incorporate Barracuda's software, storage and replication technology and, as part of the subscription service, require no up-front capital investment. Subscribers receive a free hardware refresh to the latest physical appliance model every four years. Advantages of a Barracuda physical appliance over a software-based virtual appliance include simplicity of integration and management plus reduced loading on production servers while performing CPU-intensive activities such as hashing blocks during deduplication, compression for offsite replication, and rehydration of data during restoration.
You can use Barracuda's physical or virtual appliances for local and off-site backup, replication and disaster recovery
Barracuda Backup Deduplication
Deduplication is a data compression technique that plays a critical role in any modern backup and recovery solution. Deduplication works by comparing incoming data blocks with backup data that has already been stored. Deduplication algorithms remove redundant incoming data blocks and substitute a concise reference to the data already stored. Barracuda Backup Agents (BBAs) deduplicate and compress local data, including Hyper-V VHD files, on the client-side host server before transmitting the deduplicated data to the physical or virtual Barracuda Backup appliance. By preventing redundant data from being sent to the Barracuda Backup appliance for processing, so-called source-based dedpulication reduces LAN network traffic and significantly shortens the backup window.
The Barracuda Backup Agent (BBA) deduplicates data at the source system to conserve LAN bandwidth
To backup VMware virtual disks, Barracuda Backup takes advantage of VMware's VADP technology, using Changed Block Tracking to avoid sending redundant data chunks to Barracuda Backup appliances.
How Progent Can Help You with Barracuda Backup
Progent's Microsoft-certified Hyper-V consultants and VMware-certified vSphere and vCenter experts can assist your business to design, install and manage a data backup and disaster recovery solution powered by Barracuda Backup. Progent's Exchange consultants can help you use Barracuda Backup to protect your Exchange Server deployment, and Progent's Amazon AWS hybrid cloud consulting experts can help you set up your AWS account to replicate and restore critical data. Progent's Disaster Recovery consultants can show you how Barracuda Backup's offsite and cloud replication capability can protect your vital business data and get you up and running fast in the event of a natural or human-made disaster, a ransomware attack, or any other catastrophic event. Progent's GIAC-certified information assurance consultants can evaluate the security and compliance of your backup ecosystem and can help you leverage affordable tools and smart processes and policies to survive in today's increasingly dangerous IT environment.
Other Fault Tolerant Solutions Offered by Progent's Consultants
Progent's Microsoft and Cisco support professionals can help you to build a cost-effective, fault-tolerant IT architecture that resolves major challenges covering a wide range of infrastructure solutions and processes such as:
Workplace Recovery Planning
Progent's business continuity planning engineers can help you design a disaster recovery plan in order to resume network functionality in the event of an IT network disaster. Progent can help you to define a comprehensive disaster recovery plan that incorporates periodic disaster recovery evaluations and drills. Progent's Microsoft and Cisco-certified engineers can also show you how to build an affordable, zero-downtime network architecture that addresses availability issues involving a wide range of infrastructure technologies and processes. For more information, visit Disaster Recovery Consulting and Support Services.
Managed Cloud Backup: ProSight Data Protection Services
ProSight Data Protection Services from Progent provide small and mid-sized businesses an affordable end-to-end solution for reliable backup/disaster recovery (BDR). For a low monthly price, ProSight DPS automates your backup processes and enables fast recovery of critical data, apps and VMs that have become lost or damaged due to hardware failures, software bugs, natural disasters, human mistakes, or malware attacks like ransomware. ProSight Data Protection Services can help you protect, recover and restore files, folders, applications, system images, plus Hyper-V and VMware virtual machine images. Important data can be backed up on the cloud, to an on-promises storage device, or to both. Progent's cloud backup consultants can provide advanced support to set up ProSight DPS to be compliant with regulatory requirements like HIPPA, FIRPA, and PCI and, whenever necessary, can assist you to recover your business-critical data. Learn more about ProSight DPS Managed Backup.
Windows Server 2016 Disaster Recovery
Progent's Windows Server 2016 disaster recovery experts can assist your organization to design a disaster recovery system based on Microsoft's cloud-tested Failover Clustering tools such as Cluster Operating System Rolling Upgrade for non-intrusive migration to Windows Server 2016, Storage Replica for crash-consistent Recovery Point Objective (RPO), Storage Spaces Direct for enterprise-class network-attached storage using commodity equipment, VM Load Balancing for improving the speed and fault-tolerance of Failover Clusters while reducing TCO and management overhead, and Cloud Witness for fast, affordable creation of a stretch cluster quorum witness. For more information, visit Windows Server 2016 Disaster Recovery Consulting.
Microsoft Windows Server 2012 Failover Clustering
Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 brought world-class availability and recoverability to Microsoft's failover clustering platform. Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2 adds to this technology and provides significant improvements offering more extensibility, non-stop storage availability for server applications, easier management, faster failover, and more flexibility for architecting clusters. For details, visit Windows Server 2012 Clustering Consulting Services.
VMware Site Recovery Manager (SRM) Disaster Recovery Solutions
VMware's Site Recovery Manager is an extension to VMware vCenter that allows you to specify, automate and verify a consistent process for recovering services rapidly following an outage. SRM provides centrally controlled and automated recovery, application mobility, plus non-intrusive site relocation, failback and site re-protect. SRM also enables non-disruptive testing for disaster recovery, upgrades and fixes and can produce audit reports to verify complete service recovery, validate SLAs and prove disaster recovery compliance. Progent offers the support of a VCDX certified VMware Site Recovery Manager consultant to help your organization to design, configure, test and manage a DR solution based on VMware SRM.
NetApp MetroCluster Disaster Recovery Technology
NetApp MetroCluster is a high-availability and disaster recovery software suite that uses failover storage clustering with synchronous replication to deliver rapid, zero data loss disaster recovery between sites located as far as 185 miles apart. Progent offers the skills of a certified NetApp MetroCluster consultant who can help your business to design, deploy, administer, upgrade, test and troubleshoot a disaster recovery system based on NetApp MetroCluster. Progent can assist you to choose a topology for your MetroCluster environment that aligns with your functional requirements and IT budget. Progent can ensure you adhere to best practices for configuring your MetroCluster environment by providing help with procedures like assigning shelf IDs, arranging plexes layout, provisioning FlexVol volumes, setting up NetApp Snapshot, installing Cisco and Brocade switches, designing a tiebreaker, designing a configuration replication network between your storage clusters, and verifying your disaster recovery solution to show compliance with industry standards and regulatory mandates.
Network Load Balancing
Progent offers high availability load balancing consulting that addresses system load balancing, load balanced applications, LAN/WAN backbone routing, and content delivery technology including Cisco Content Engine. Fault tolerant load balancing solutions for which Progent offers consulting expertise include Microsoft Windows Server 2003 and 2008 Network Load Balancing Manager, Citrix Access Suite and Access Gateway, Cisco CSS, Cisco Content Engine and ACNS, and F5 Networks 3-DNS. To read more, go to High Availability Load Balancing.
High-Availability Internet Data Centers
Progent's Data Center professionals can help you select high availability data centers that meet the specific needs of your company. High availability Internet Data Centers are especially appealing to small and mid-size businesses because of their affordability and simplified logistics compared to taking a do-it-yourself strategy. Attempting to build an in-house data center that offers even a minimum level of fault tolerance is too expensive for the majority of small businesses. Progent is ready to help you get all the benefits of 24x7 Internet data centers by offering a complete array of consulting and maintenance services. For details, see Fault Tolerant Internet Data Centers Solutions.
High-Availability Interoffice Connectivity
Progentís branch office connection professionals can help companies achieve zero-downtime interoffice connections via fully redundant networks featuring automatic failover. Progentís Cisco-premier CCIE network engineers can plan and deploy ultra-reliable Inter-office connections supported by non-stop EIGRP routers or fault tolerant OSPF configurations of Cisco routers. Progent can show you how redundant connectivity and automatic fail-over can provide economical 24x7 interoffice connectivity. To find out more, visit High-Availability Inter-office Networking.
High Availability Internet Connectivity
Progent's Cisco-authorized IT experts can help you build an economical, high availability Internet connection solution that can achieve 24x7 Internet connectivity through a wide array of high availability Internet access technologies including non-stop BGP, transparent fail-over, and redundant ISPs. Progent offers CCIE consultants to help you utilize the latest technology for fault tolerant Internet connections to create an affordable, fully redundant Internet interface with automatic failover and other features to create fault tolerant Internet access. For more information, go to Non-stop Internet Access Solutions.
Backup and Recovery Technology Consultants
Progent can provide affordable remote support from consultants skilled in a wide array of products and technologies that deliver solutions for backing up Microsoft Windows, Mac, and Linux/UNIX physical and virtual servers and workstations plus laptops and handhelds. Progent offers consulting support for all major data protection products including Acronis, Backup Exec, BackupAssist Software, CrashPlan PRO, Double-Take Software, MozyPro, Retrospect for Macintosh, Apple Time Machine, VMware vSphere Data Protection (VDP), and Solaris FLARs. Progent's consultants can help your company to deploy, enhance, or maintain backup/restore systems for a variety of environments including local, remote, cloud-based, or hybrid. To learn more, go to Backup and Restore Technology Consulting Services.
Microsoft System Center Data Protection Manager Data Recovery Consulting Services
Progent's expert System Center Data Protection Manager consultants can assist you to develop a practical business continuity plan, implement an affordable fault-tolerante network infrastructure, install a Microsoft SCDPM-powered backup and restore system, comprehensively test your DPM system, educate your administrative personnel or regular service providers how to manage Microsoft System Center Data Protection Manager, or provide extensive IT outsourcing including remote hosting of Microsoft SCDPM machines in Progent's data center. To read more, visit Microsoft SCDPM Consulting.
Altaro VM Backup Solutions for Backup and Disaster Recovery
Altaro VM Backup software provides small businesses a reliable and budget-friendly solution for backing up and recovering Hyper-V and VMware-based virtual machines. Altaro VM Backup can be deployed in local, offsite, multi-site, and cloud-hosted architectures and also supports low-cost backup to Microsoft Azure Block Blob storage. Headline features include state-of-the-art inline deduplication to reduce backup storage needs, Continuous Data Protection (CDP) with backup spacing as short as five minutes for minimizing your Recovery Point Objective (RPO), military-grade encryption, granular recovery options for specific files and emails, extensive support for Windows Server Cluster Shared Volumes (CSV) and vCenter for managing larger deployments, and support for Microsoft VSS technology to back up live virtual machines with zero downtime. Progent is a certified Altaro partner and can provide a broad array of services to assist you to design, install, manage and troubleshoot a backup and disaster recovery solution powered by Altaro VM Backup software. To learn more, go to Altaro VM Backup Consulting Services.
Consulting for Double-Take Solutions for Backup/Restore
Double-Take Software offers a family of products designed to deliver small businesses a range of affordable alternatives for backing up and restoring business-critical workloads including Microsoft Exchange Server, Microsoft SQL Server, RIM Blackberry, and Microsoft SharePoint. Progentís business continuity planning consultants have in-depth experience integrating Double-Take products into small company information networks to achieve an advanced level of fault tolerance and business continuity capability at a budget-friendly price. To find out more, visit Consulting Services Double-Take Software for Backup.
CRISC-Premier Network Risk Management
The Certified in Risk and Information Systems Control (CRISC) certification program was established by ISACA in 2010 to validate a consultant's ability to design, implement, and support IS controls to reduce network risk. Progent offers the services of a CRISC-certified consultant to help your company to create and carry out a business continuity plan that follows leading practices promoted by CRISC and crafted to align with your company's risk tolerance, business goals, and budgetary guidelines. To read more, see CRISC-Premier network risk management specialists.
Why Pick Progent for Disaster Recovery/Business Continuity Planning?
Since Progent is a Microsoft Certified Partner and offers specialized application consulting for a broad variety of small business software programs, Progent can assist customers to find comprehensive IT solutions that optimize the productivity of your IT network. As a Registered Partner with Cisco, Progent can provide the services of certified consultants and specialists with expertise in designing, deploying and supporting networking environments based on Cisco technology. The breadth of Progent's IT know-how and Progent's familiarity with the needs of small companies make Progent a great resource for creating and maintaining an affordable, dependable information system.
How to Contact Progent's Consultants for Business Continuity Solutions Help
If you wish to contact Progent about technical support for disaster recovery planning, phone 1-800-993-9400 or refer to Contact Progent.