Barracuda Backup: Cloud-integrated Backup and Disaster Recovery
Barracuda Backup is a low-cost, subscription-based backup and disaster recovery service for small and medium-size businesses. The Barracuda Backup solution can include a physical, purpose-built Barracuda appliance or a virtual, software-based appliance with similar functionality but which uses your own storage hardware. Barracuda Backup protects critical business data generated on-premises, at one or more remote sites, or in the cloud. For disaster preparedness, you can replicate data to the Barracuda Cloud, to Amazon Web Services (AWS), or to any private location you designate. A simple-to-operate and web-accessible management and reporting console makes it easy to administer and monitor all backup, replication, retention and recovery processes in real time.
Key features of Barracuda Backup include:
Progent is a certified Barracuda partner and offers a wide array of consulting and management services to help you design, integrate, operate and troubleshoot a backup and disaster recovery solution built on Barracuda technology. Progent also offers ProSight Data Protection Services managed backup as an affordable turnkey service that allows you to outsource the management of your backup/recovery system. ProSight Data Protection Services incorporates cloud-based backup technology developed by Intronis, a company acquired by Barracuda. Progent's Hyper-V consulting experts and VMware consultants can assist your business to plan and configure virtual machine deployments that utilize any combination of local, remote and cloud-based resources. Progent can also provide advanced business continuity/disaster recovery (BCDR) planning consulting to help businesses of any size to recover quickly from cyber attacks such as ransomware or from other catastrophic events caused by natural or human-caused disasters, hardware breakdowns, or other reasons.
- LiveBoot and Cloud LiveBoot enable recovery Microsoft Hyper-V and VMware VMs in minutes, minimizing business disruption
- Cloud-to-Cloud Backup protects against data loss in Microsoft Office 365 and Exchange Online environments
- Offsite vaulting of historical revisions conserves local storage resources so they can be used for production applications
- In-line deduplication and data compression can cut storage requirements and network bandwidth usage in half
Capabilities of Barracuda Backup
Barracuda Backup offers small and mid-size organizations a full-featured data protection solution by providing advanced capabilities in the areas of backup, recovery and management. Barracuda Backup protects the most popular operating systems, the most widely used versions of Hyper-V and VMware, and cloud-hosted Microsoft applications. Mission-critical servers can be backed up as often as every 15 minutes to support a low Recovery Point Objective (RPO). Replication to offsite datacenters and to the cloud facilitate disaster recovery and offer deployment options to suit any SMB.
Mac OS X
Barracuda Backup works with popular operating systems, hypervisors and cloud-hosted applications
Secure Backup and Replication
Barracuda Backup utilizes a physical or virtual (software-based) onsite appliance that securely and automatically replicates data offsite. Local backup allows fast restores, and offsite replication supports disaster recovery.
Restore and Disaster Recovery
- Hardware-Encrypted Appliance: Barracuda Encrypted Backup is a service option that uses disk drives which can be read only when the drives are installed in the physical Barracuda appliance. In case the entire encrypted appliance is taken from a site, disk data can only be read after a power-on password is correctly entered. Native encryption technology is incorporated in the drives used in this option, which eliminates the dramatic performance loss associated with software-based encryption.
- Inline Deduplication and Compression: Barracuda Backup services using either physical or virtual appliances include Inline, block-level, source-based and target-based deduplication and compression. This results in a significant reduction in storage and bandwidth use and cuts the time it takes to complete backup and replication operations. Barracuda's variable block deduplication algorithms evaluate data type and chunk size in order to determine a block size that delivers the highest degree of deduplication. For businesses with multiple locations, Barracuda's advanced global deduplication and cloud storage technology offer significant savings in storage infrastructure without compromising data protection.
- Secure and Efficient Replication: Barracuda Backup offers a variety of low-cost options for copying business-critical data offsite to protect against local events that may disable your datacenter. You can use built-in WAN acceleration to replicate protected data to the Barracuda Cloud, to the Amazon Web Services (AWS) cloud, or to a Barracuda physical or virtual backup appliance located at any remote location. You can also export replicated data to external disk, tape, autoloaders, or robotic libraries. Wherever you choose to replicate your data, it will be transferred and stored using military-grade 256-bit AES encryption. Barracuda replication can use VMware Changed Block Tracking (CBT) and requires only a single agent for Windows systems and apps.
- Offsite Vaulting: To help businesses comply with internal or regulatory retention policies and to reduce the cost of storing archival backups, Barracuda Backup supports offsite vaulting. You can transfer on-premises copies of monthly and yearly backups from a local Barracuda appliance to the Barracuda Cloud or to a different Barracuda appliance.
- Cloud-to-Cloud Backup: To recover from data loss due to human error such as accidental deletions, Barracuda offers Cloud-to-Cloud Backup for Microsoft Office 365. This can protect Exchange Online mailboxes and OneDrive for Business files and folders.
Barracuda Backup supports a variety of recovery options for physical servers and virtual machines. You can restore data from a local Barracuda Backup appliance, from a remote Barracuda Backup appliance that has been used to replicate that system, or from Barracuda Cloud Storage.
Management and Reporting
- P2V Restores: You can restore physical server backups into a virtual environment (P2V restores) hosted by VMware vSphere or Microsoft Hyper-V.
- Bare Metal Recovery (BMR): Bare metal recovery lets you restore a complete Windows computer system, including data, settings, applications, and operating system, onto a new computer on which no software has been installed. BMR is useful for a variety of common restoration scenarios including replacing a lost notebook or provisioning a new one, refreshing a server's hardware, moving from a physical to a virtual server, migrating from a rotating disk to a solid-state drive, or recovering from a cyber attack that corrupted your operating system.
- LiveBoot: The LiveBoot feature allows instant recovery of VMware virtual guest machines. If your primary storage system fails, Barracuda Backup can operate as data storage for your VMware ESXi server. You can recover any revision of a guest VM based on your retention policy and immediately use files and applications in their deduplicated state stored within Barracuda Backup. You can also use LiveBoot for granular file-level recovery as well as for item-level recovery for supported applications including Exchange, Microsoft SQL, and SharePoint.
- Cloud LiveBoot: When you back up a Hyper-V or VMware virtual guest server and replicate to Barracuda Cloud Storage, you can boot the server in Barracuda's Cloud directly from the Barracuda Backup web interface with no additional configuration. You can recover any revision of a virtual guest server within your retention policy, boot virtual servers in the cloud to recover and traverse the file structure of virtual guest system data, and retrieve individual Active Directory (AD) objects. For testing purposes, you can boot the virtual guest system to confirm data integrity or to set up a sandbox for trying out new or updated applications without risk to your production environment.
- Granular Recovery: From the Barracuda Backup web interface you can recover an entire share, a file, a file system directory, a mailbox, mailbox folders, or individual messages. You can restore data to its original location or to any other networked computer where the Barracuda Backup Agent is installed.
- Retention Policies: Barracuda Backup retention policies allow you to keep historic data based on daily, weekly, monthly, or yearly time intervals. You can create Barracuda Backup retention policies for different sets of data including VMs, email messages, and data backed up by the Barracuda Backup Agent including Exchange, SQL, Hyper-V, and System State. This flexibility allows you to comply with regulatory or litigation requirements and fine tune data protection and disaster recovery plans.
- Microsoft Exchange Support: Barracuda Backup automatically creates a recovery mailbox database for Microsoft Exchange Server 2013 and higher. You can restore individual Exchange Mailbox folders, such as the Inbox, as well as Contacts, Calendars, and Notes. You can also use Barracuda Backup's web interface to view, search, and restore individual Microsoft Exchange messages. You can view all of the messages within an individual mailbox and you can perform a string search across multiple mailboxes.
- VMware CBT Restores: VMware Changed Block Tracking (CBT) is used to perform incremental backups on VMware ESX/ESXi VMs. CBT identifies and tracks block changes that occurred after the most recent backup and logs these changes. This significantly lowers the number and duration of backup windows and improves the speed and efficiency of subsequent replication.
The Barracuda Appliance web interface is a modern, easy-to-use tool for configuring, monitoring and administering your Barracuda Backup solution from a centralized and web-accessible utility. A similar Cloud-to-Cloud Backup tool is also available. Both tools feature six tabs that open pages with a rich set of management capabilities.
Barracuda's web-based management tool simplifies the protection of local, multi-site, or cloud-based data
Barracuda Backup Physical and Virtual Appliances
- Dashboard: Provides a panoramic view of all devices on the subscriber's Barracuda Backup account. This section uses interactive graphs and tables to describe a wealth of information including the performance and health of local and offsite backups, agents, and data sources. Other information includes offsite transfer remaining, offsite transfer efficiency, storage efficiency, backup reports, storage allocation, current tasks, storage and transfer history, and Barracuda subscription information.
- Backup: Controls data sources and manages how data is backed up locally and replicated offsite. This section allows you to control replication from Barracuda appliances for disaster recovery, granular backup scheduling, directory and file exclusions, rate limits, and retention policies.
- Restore: Allows you to restore data from a local Barracuda physical or virtual appliance, replicated data from a remote appliance, or data from Barracuda Cloud Storage. The Restore Browser page lets you recover a range items that include Microsoft Hyper-V and VMware servers, Exchange Server, SQL Server databases, Active Directory objects, SharePoint objects, and Windows System State. The Restore Browser page also gives you access to LiveBoot, Cloud LiveBoot, and P2V restores. You can use the LiveBrowse feature to view and traverse file structures inside backed up Hyper-V and VMware VMDK, VHD, and VHDX files and you can download files and directories from Hyper-V and VMware snapshots.
- Reports: Allows you to view detailed reports on backups, restores, and large items, plus an audit log of all activities. The Backup Report includes a report detailing every backup that has been performed or is currently running. The tabular and sortable Restore Report provides details for a specified range of restore operations and includes any errors encountered and a list of restored content. The Large Items Report lists large files and includes the source and path of the data plus the size of the file before and after deduplication. The Audit Log Report shows all logged activities in the Barracuda Backup web interface for specified users and time periods.
- System: Allows you to manage firmware version and settings for Barracuda Backup and to download software tools to use with Barracuda Backup.
- Admin: Allows you to configure email notifications, authentication, and permissions for users, add and delete display groups to manage multiple Barracuda Backup appliances, activate an appliance, and add and configure your Amazon Web Services (AWS) Account to Barracuda Backup (this requires an AWS Replication subscription).
Barracuda Backup services can be deployed with any mix of physical Barracuda appliances, software-based virtual appliances that utilize your own compute and storage infrastructure (called Barracuda Backup Vx), or Cloud-to-Cloud backup. Barracuda's purpose-built physical appliances can include internal encryption technology and range from desktop devices with 1 TB of storage to rackmount 4 U hot-swappable arrays with capacities of up to 112 TB. Physical appliances incorporate Barracuda's software, storage and replication technology and, as part of the subscription service, require no up-front capital investment. Subscribers receive a free hardware refresh to the latest physical appliance model every four years. Advantages of a Barracuda physical appliance over a software-based virtual appliance include simplicity of integration and management plus reduced loading on production servers while performing CPU-intensive activities such as hashing blocks during deduplication, compression for offsite replication, and rehydration of data during restoration.
You can use Barracuda's physical or virtual appliances for local and off-site backup, replication and disaster recovery
Barracuda Backup Deduplication
Deduplication is a data compression technique that plays a critical role in any modern backup and recovery solution. Deduplication works by comparing incoming data blocks with backup data that has already been stored. Deduplication algorithms remove redundant incoming data blocks and substitute a concise reference to the data already stored. Barracuda Backup Agents (BBAs) deduplicate and compress local data, including Hyper-V VHD files, on the client-side host server before transmitting the deduplicated data to the physical or virtual Barracuda Backup appliance. By preventing redundant data from being sent to the Barracuda Backup appliance for processing, so-called source-based dedpulication reduces LAN network traffic and significantly shortens the backup window.
The Barracuda Backup Agent (BBA) deduplicates data at the source system to conserve LAN bandwidth
To backup VMware virtual disks, Barracuda Backup takes advantage of VMware's VADP technology, using Changed Block Tracking to avoid sending redundant data chunks to Barracuda Backup appliances.
How Progent Can Help You with Barracuda Backup
Progent's Microsoft-certified Hyper-V consultants and VMware-certified vSphere and vCenter experts can assist your business to design, install and manage a data backup and disaster recovery solution powered by Barracuda Backup. Progent's Exchange consultants can help you use Barracuda Backup to protect your Exchange Server deployment, and Progent's Amazon AWS hybrid cloud consulting experts can help you set up your AWS account to replicate and restore critical data. Progent's Disaster Recovery consultants can show you how Barracuda Backup's offsite and cloud replication capability can protect your vital business data and get you up and running fast in the event of a natural or human-made disaster, a ransomware attack, or any other catastrophic event. Progent's GIAC-certified information assurance consultants can evaluate the security and compliance of your backup ecosystem and can help you leverage affordable tools and smart processes and policies to survive in today's increasingly dangerous IT environment.
Other High Availability Solutions Offered by Progent's Experts
Progent's certified consultants can help your business to implement an efficient, high-availability environment that resolves major issues encompassing a broad array of infrastructure solutions and processes such as:
Workplace Recovery Planning
Progent's business continuity consultants can show you how to design a business continuity strategy so you can restore network functionality in case of an information network disaster. Progent can assist you to develop a complete disaster recovery plan that includes scheduled disaster recovery assessments and testing. Progent's Microsoft and Cisco-authorized professionals can also help you build an affordable, high-availability system architecture that takes into account reliability issues involving a wide array of infrastructure technologies and processes. For details, visit Business Continuity Consulting and Support Services.
Managed Cloud Backup: ProSight Data Protection Services
ProSight Data Protection Services from Progent provide small and medium-sized businesses a low cost end-to-end solution for reliable backup/disaster recovery (BDR). For a low monthly cost, ProSight DPS automates and monitors your backup processes and allows fast recovery of critical files, apps and VMs that have become lost or corrupted due to component breakdowns, software bugs, disasters, human mistakes, or malicious attacks such as ransomware. ProSight DPS can help you protect, retrieve and restore files, folders, applications, system images, plus Microsoft Hyper-V and VMware images/. Critical data can be backed up on the cloud, to an on-promises device, or to both. Progent's BDR specialists can provide world-class expertise to set up ProSight DPS to be compliant with government and industry regulatory requirements such as HIPAA, FIRPA, and PCI and, whenever needed, can help you to recover your business-critical information. Find out more about ProSight Data Protection Services Managed Cloud Backup and Recovery.
Windows Server 2016 Disaster Recovery
Progent's Windows Server 2016 disaster recovery/business continuity experts can assist you to plan and deploy a disaster recovery system built around Microsoft's cloud-tested Failover Clustering technologies including Cluster Operating System Rolling Upgrade for non-intrusive migration to Windows Server 2016, Storage Replica for crash-consistent Recovery Point Objective (RPO), Storage Spaces Direct for enterprise-class network-attached storage using low-cost equipment, Virtual Machine Load Balancing for improving the performance and resilience of Failover Clusters while minimizing capital investment and management overhead, and Cloud Witness for fast, affordable deployment of a stretch cluster quorum witness. For details, go to Windows Server 2016 Disaster Recovery Consulting.
Windows Server 2012 Failover Clustering
Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 brought enterprise-class fault tolerance and system recovery to Microsoft's clustering platform. Windows Server 2012 R2 builds on this technology and delivers important improvements that offer increased extensibility, better storage availability for server applications, simpler administration, faster failover, and more flexibility for architecting clusters. To learn more, see Windows Server 2012 Clustering Migration and Support.
VMware Site Recovery Manager (SRM) Disaster Recovery Solutions
VMware's Site Recovery Manager is a component of VMware vCenter that lets you define, automate and test a repeatable process for recovering applications and services rapidly after an outage. Site Recovery Manager provides centrally managed and automated disaster recovery, application mobility, plus transparent site relocation, failback and re-protect. SRM also allows non-disruptive testing for site recovery, upgrades and fixes and can generate reports to verify complete service restoration, validate Service Level Agreements and prove disaster recovery compliance. Progent can provide the support of a VCDX certified VMware SRM consulting expert to help your organization to design, configure, test and manage a disaster recovery system powered by VMware SRM.
NetApp MetroCluster High Availability and Disaster Recovery Platform
NetApp MetroCluster is a disaster recovery software suite that uses failover storage clustering along with continual replication to deliver fast, zero RPO disaster recovery between datacenters that are as far as 185 miles away from one another. Progent offers the skills of a certified NetApp MetroCluster consultant who can help you to design, deploy, manage, upgrade, test and repair a disaster recovery system based on NetApp MetroCluster. Progent can help you to choose an architecture for your MetroCluster environment that aligns with your functional requirements and budget. Progent can ensure you follow leading practices for installing your MetroCluster environment by providing guidance with procedures like assigning disk pools, arranging aggregate layout, setting up NetApp FlexVol volumes, setting up Data ONTAP configuration replication service, installing switches, designing a tiebreaker mechanism, setting up a configuration replication network, and testing your DR solution to prove compliance with industry standards and regulatory requirements.
High Availability Load Balancing
Progent provides high availability load balancing support covering system load balancing, load balanced applications, LAN/WAN backbone routing, and content delivery products including Cisco Content Engine. High availability load balancing products for which Progent offers consulting expertise include Microsoft Windows 2003 and 2008 Server Network Load Balancing Manager, Citrix Metaframe and Presentation Server, Cisco Content Services Switch, Cisco Content Engine and ACNS, and F5 Networks 3-DNS. To find out more, visit Non-stop Load Balancing.
Progent's Data Center engineers can help you find fault-tolerant data centers that meet the specific needs of your company. High availability colocation sites are particularly appealing to small and mid-size organizations due to of their low cost and simplified logistics in comparison to pursuing a do-it-yourself strategy. Trying to design an in-house data center that offers even a minimum degree of fault tolerance is too costly for typical small companies. Progent is ready to help you get all the advantages of 24x7 colo centers by offering a full range of consulting and maintenance services. To find out more, go to Non-stop Data Centers Expertise.
High-Availability Interoffice Connectivity
Progentís interoffice connection engineers can help businesses create zero-downtime inter-site connectivity solutions via redundant networks featuring transparent failover. Progentís Cisco-certified CCIE network engineers can design and deploy high-availability Inter-office networks based on zero-downtime EIGRP network routers or non-stop OSPF configurations of Cisco routers. Progent can show you how redundant connections and transparent fail-over offers economical 24x7 interoffice networking. To read more, go to High-Availability Inter-office Networking.
Fault Tolerant Internet Connectivity
Progent's Cisco-certified network professionals can show you how to design an economical, fault tolerant Internet configuration architecture that can achieve non-stop Internet connectivity via a wide array of high availability Internet network technologies including high availability BGP, transparent fail-over, and redundant ISPs. Progent can provide CCIE engineers to show you how to utilize the most advanced technology for high availability Internet access to create an affordable, completely redundant Internet interface with automatic failover and other capabilities to deliver zero-downtime Internet connections. For details, see Non-stop Internet Connectivity Architecture.
Backup and Restore Technology Consulting and Support Services
Progent can provide affordable remote access to IT engineers skilled in a wide range of utilities and services that deliver solutions for backing up Microsoft Windows, Mac, and Linux/UNIX physical and virtual servers and desktops plus notebooks and smartphones. Progent can provide help for all major data protection platforms such as Acronis Backup and Recovery, Backup Exec, BackupAssist, CrashPlan, Double-Take Software, Mozy, Retrospect, Time Machine, VMware vSphere Data Protection (VDP), and FLARs. Progent can assist your company to implement, enhance, or troubleshoot data backup systems for a variety of environments such as on-premises, remote, cloud-based, or a mix. For details, visit Backup and Restore Technology Expertise.
Microsoft System Center Data Protection Manager (SCDPM) Backup and Restore Consulting and Support Services
Progent's expert Microsoft System Center Data Protection Manager support professionals can assist you to create an effective disaster recovery strategy, implement a cost-effective high-availability IT architecture, deploy a Microsoft System Center Data Protection Manager-based backup and recovery system, comprehensively validate your system, educate your administrative personnel or regular consultants how to maintain SCDPM, or provide complete IT support outsourcing such as remote housing of Microsoft System Center Data Protection Manager servers in Progent's data center. For details, go to System Center Data Protection Manager Consulting Services.
Altaro VM Backup Software for Backup and Disaster Recovery
Altaro VM Backup software offers small organizations a dependable and budget-friendly solution for backing up and recovering Hyper-V and VMware-based virtual machines. Altaro VM Backup can be used for local, remote, multi-site, and cloud architectures and also supports low-cost backup to Azure Block Blob storage. Headline capabilities include state-of-the-art inline deduplication to cut backup storage requirements, Continuous Data Protection (CDP) with backup spacing as short as five minutes for minimizing your exposure to data loss, advanced encryption, item-level recovery options for individual files and emails, support for Windows Server Cluster Shared Volumes and VMware vCenter for managing larger environments, and support for Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) to back up online virtual machines without downtime. Progent is a certified Altaro partner and offers a wide array of services to assist you to plan, deploy, manage and troubleshoot a backup/restore system powered by Altaro VM Backup software. To find out more, see Altaro VM Backup Consulting.
Consulting Services Double-Take Solutions for Backup and Recovery
Double-Take Software offers a family of products intended to provide small and midsize businesses a range of affordable alternatives for replicating and restoring business-critical applications such as Exchange, Microsoft SQL Server, RIM Blackberry, and Microsoft Office SharePoint. Progentís disaster recovery planning consultants have extensive backgrounds integrating Double-Take Software technology into small company IT networks to achieve a high level of availability and disaster recovery readiness at an affordable cost. To read more, go to Consulting Services Double-Take Solutions for Data Backup.
CRISC-Certified Network Risk Management
The CRISC certification program was established by ISACA in 2010 to validate an IT professional's ability to design, deploy, and maintain information system controls to mitigate network risk. Progent can provide the services of a CRISC-certified engineer to assist your company to create and execute a business continuity or disaster recovery strategy based on leading practices identified by CRISC and crafted to match your organization's risk tolerance, business objectives, and budgetary guidelines. To find out more, see CRISC-Certified IT risk control experts.
Why Choose Progent for Disaster Recovery/Business Continuity Planning Solutions?
Because Progent is a Microsoft Partner and offers high-level application support for a broad range of small business applications, Progent is able to assist clients to find efficient information technology solutions that substantially enhance the productivity of your network. As a Registered Partner for Cisco, Progent offers the expertise of certified engineers and specialists with experience in designing, installing and supporting infrastructure environments built on Cisco technology. The extent of Progent's technical experience and Progent's familiarity with the needs of small companies make Progent the perfect resource for creating and maintaining an affordable, high-availability network.
How You Can Access Progent's Consultants for Business Continuity Planning Help
In order to get in touch with Progent about consulting help for business continuity planning, call 1-800-993-9400 or go to Contact Progent.