Barracuda Backup: Cloud-integrated Backup and Disaster Recovery
Barracuda Backup is a low-cost, subscription-based backup and disaster recovery service for small and medium-size businesses. The Barracuda Backup solution can include a physical, purpose-built Barracuda appliance or a virtual, software-based appliance with similar functionality but which uses your own storage hardware. Barracuda Backup protects critical business data generated on-premises, at one or more remote sites, or in the cloud. For disaster preparedness, you can replicate data to the Barracuda Cloud, to Amazon Web Services (AWS), or to any private location you designate. A simple-to-operate and web-accessible management and reporting console makes it easy to administer and monitor all backup, replication, retention and recovery processes in real time.
Key features of Barracuda Backup include:
Progent is a certified Barracuda partner and offers a wide array of consulting and management services to help you design, integrate, operate and troubleshoot a backup and disaster recovery solution built on Barracuda technology. Progent also offers ProSight Data Protection Services managed backup as an affordable turnkey service that allows you to outsource the management of your backup/recovery system. ProSight Data Protection Services incorporates cloud-based backup technology developed by Intronis, a company acquired by Barracuda. Progent's Hyper-V consulting experts and VMware consultants can assist your business to plan and configure virtual machine deployments that utilize any combination of local, remote and cloud-based resources. Progent can also provide advanced business continuity/disaster recovery (BCDR) planning consulting to help businesses of any size to recover quickly from cyber attacks such as ransomware or from other catastrophic events caused by natural or human-caused disasters, hardware breakdowns, or other reasons.
- LiveBoot and Cloud LiveBoot enable recovery Microsoft Hyper-V and VMware VMs in minutes, minimizing business disruption
- Cloud-to-Cloud Backup protects against data loss in Microsoft Office 365 and Exchange Online environments
- Offsite vaulting of historical revisions conserves local storage resources so they can be used for production applications
- In-line deduplication and data compression can cut storage requirements and network bandwidth usage in half
Capabilities of Barracuda Backup
Barracuda Backup offers small and mid-size organizations a full-featured data protection solution by providing advanced capabilities in the areas of backup, recovery and management. Barracuda Backup protects the most popular operating systems, the most widely used versions of Hyper-V and VMware, and cloud-hosted Microsoft applications. Mission-critical servers can be backed up as often as every 15 minutes to support a low Recovery Point Objective (RPO). Replication to offsite datacenters and to the cloud facilitate disaster recovery and offer deployment options to suit any SMB.
Mac OS X
Barracuda Backup works with popular operating systems, hypervisors and cloud-hosted applications
Secure Backup and Replication
Barracuda Backup utilizes a physical or virtual (software-based) onsite appliance that securely and automatically replicates data offsite. Local backup allows fast restores, and offsite replication supports disaster recovery.
Restore and Disaster Recovery
- Hardware-Encrypted Appliance: Barracuda Encrypted Backup is a service option that uses disk drives which can be read only when the drives are installed in the physical Barracuda appliance. In case the entire encrypted appliance is taken from a site, disk data can only be read after a power-on password is correctly entered. Native encryption technology is incorporated in the drives used in this option, which eliminates the dramatic performance loss associated with software-based encryption.
- Inline Deduplication and Compression: Barracuda Backup services using either physical or virtual appliances include Inline, block-level, source-based and target-based deduplication and compression. This results in a significant reduction in storage and bandwidth use and cuts the time it takes to complete backup and replication operations. Barracuda's variable block deduplication algorithms evaluate data type and chunk size in order to determine a block size that delivers the highest degree of deduplication. For businesses with multiple locations, Barracuda's advanced global deduplication and cloud storage technology offer significant savings in storage infrastructure without compromising data protection.
- Secure and Efficient Replication: Barracuda Backup offers a variety of low-cost options for copying business-critical data offsite to protect against local events that may disable your datacenter. You can use built-in WAN acceleration to replicate protected data to the Barracuda Cloud, to the Amazon Web Services (AWS) cloud, or to a Barracuda physical or virtual backup appliance located at any remote location. You can also export replicated data to external disk, tape, autoloaders, or robotic libraries. Wherever you choose to replicate your data, it will be transferred and stored using military-grade 256-bit AES encryption. Barracuda replication can use VMware Changed Block Tracking (CBT) and requires only a single agent for Windows systems and apps.
- Offsite Vaulting: To help businesses comply with internal or regulatory retention policies and to reduce the cost of storing archival backups, Barracuda Backup supports offsite vaulting. You can transfer on-premises copies of monthly and yearly backups from a local Barracuda appliance to the Barracuda Cloud or to a different Barracuda appliance.
- Cloud-to-Cloud Backup: To recover from data loss due to human error such as accidental deletions, Barracuda offers Cloud-to-Cloud Backup for Microsoft Office 365. This can protect Exchange Online mailboxes and OneDrive for Business files and folders.
Barracuda Backup supports a variety of recovery options for physical servers and virtual machines. You can restore data from a local Barracuda Backup appliance, from a remote Barracuda Backup appliance that has been used to replicate that system, or from Barracuda Cloud Storage.
Management and Reporting
- P2V Restores: You can restore physical server backups into a virtual environment (P2V restores) hosted by VMware vSphere or Microsoft Hyper-V.
- Bare Metal Recovery (BMR): Bare metal recovery lets you restore a complete Windows computer system, including data, settings, applications, and operating system, onto a new computer on which no software has been installed. BMR is useful for a variety of common restoration scenarios including replacing a lost notebook or provisioning a new one, refreshing a server's hardware, moving from a physical to a virtual server, migrating from a rotating disk to a solid-state drive, or recovering from a cyber attack that corrupted your operating system.
- LiveBoot: The LiveBoot feature allows instant recovery of VMware virtual guest machines. If your primary storage system fails, Barracuda Backup can operate as data storage for your VMware ESXi server. You can recover any revision of a guest VM based on your retention policy and immediately use files and applications in their deduplicated state stored within Barracuda Backup. You can also use LiveBoot for granular file-level recovery as well as for item-level recovery for supported applications including Exchange, Microsoft SQL, and SharePoint.
- Cloud LiveBoot: When you back up a Hyper-V or VMware virtual guest server and replicate to Barracuda Cloud Storage, you can boot the server in Barracuda's Cloud directly from the Barracuda Backup web interface with no additional configuration. You can recover any revision of a virtual guest server within your retention policy, boot virtual servers in the cloud to recover and traverse the file structure of virtual guest system data, and retrieve individual Active Directory (AD) objects. For testing purposes, you can boot the virtual guest system to confirm data integrity or to set up a sandbox for trying out new or updated applications without risk to your production environment.
- Granular Recovery: From the Barracuda Backup web interface you can recover an entire share, a file, a file system directory, a mailbox, mailbox folders, or individual messages. You can restore data to its original location or to any other networked computer where the Barracuda Backup Agent is installed.
- Retention Policies: Barracuda Backup retention policies allow you to keep historic data based on daily, weekly, monthly, or yearly time intervals. You can create Barracuda Backup retention policies for different sets of data including VMs, email messages, and data backed up by the Barracuda Backup Agent including Exchange, SQL, Hyper-V, and System State. This flexibility allows you to comply with regulatory or litigation requirements and fine tune data protection and disaster recovery plans.
- Microsoft Exchange Support: Barracuda Backup automatically creates a recovery mailbox database for Microsoft Exchange Server 2013 and higher. You can restore individual Exchange Mailbox folders, such as the Inbox, as well as Contacts, Calendars, and Notes. You can also use Barracuda Backup's web interface to view, search, and restore individual Microsoft Exchange messages. You can view all of the messages within an individual mailbox and you can perform a string search across multiple mailboxes.
- VMware CBT Restores: VMware Changed Block Tracking (CBT) is used to perform incremental backups on VMware ESX/ESXi VMs. CBT identifies and tracks block changes that occurred after the most recent backup and logs these changes. This significantly lowers the number and duration of backup windows and improves the speed and efficiency of subsequent replication.
The Barracuda Appliance web interface is a modern, easy-to-use tool for configuring, monitoring and administering your Barracuda Backup solution from a centralized and web-accessible utility. A similar Cloud-to-Cloud Backup tool is also available. Both tools feature six tabs that open pages with a rich set of management capabilities.
Barracuda's web-based management tool simplifies the protection of local, multi-site, or cloud-based data
Barracuda Backup Physical and Virtual Appliances
- Dashboard: Provides a panoramic view of all devices on the subscriber's Barracuda Backup account. This section uses interactive graphs and tables to describe a wealth of information including the performance and health of local and offsite backups, agents, and data sources. Other information includes offsite transfer remaining, offsite transfer efficiency, storage efficiency, backup reports, storage allocation, current tasks, storage and transfer history, and Barracuda subscription information.
- Backup: Controls data sources and manages how data is backed up locally and replicated offsite. This section allows you to control replication from Barracuda appliances for disaster recovery, granular backup scheduling, directory and file exclusions, rate limits, and retention policies.
- Restore: Allows you to restore data from a local Barracuda physical or virtual appliance, replicated data from a remote appliance, or data from Barracuda Cloud Storage. The Restore Browser page lets you recover a range items that include Microsoft Hyper-V and VMware servers, Exchange Server, SQL Server databases, Active Directory objects, SharePoint objects, and Windows System State. The Restore Browser page also gives you access to LiveBoot, Cloud LiveBoot, and P2V restores. You can use the LiveBrowse feature to view and traverse file structures inside backed up Hyper-V and VMware VMDK, VHD, and VHDX files and you can download files and directories from Hyper-V and VMware snapshots.
- Reports: Allows you to view detailed reports on backups, restores, and large items, plus an audit log of all activities. The Backup Report includes a report detailing every backup that has been performed or is currently running. The tabular and sortable Restore Report provides details for a specified range of restore operations and includes any errors encountered and a list of restored content. The Large Items Report lists large files and includes the source and path of the data plus the size of the file before and after deduplication. The Audit Log Report shows all logged activities in the Barracuda Backup web interface for specified users and time periods.
- System: Allows you to manage firmware version and settings for Barracuda Backup and to download software tools to use with Barracuda Backup.
- Admin: Allows you to configure email notifications, authentication, and permissions for users, add and delete display groups to manage multiple Barracuda Backup appliances, activate an appliance, and add and configure your Amazon Web Services (AWS) Account to Barracuda Backup (this requires an AWS Replication subscription).
Barracuda Backup services can be deployed with any mix of physical Barracuda appliances, software-based virtual appliances that utilize your own compute and storage infrastructure (called Barracuda Backup Vx), or Cloud-to-Cloud backup. Barracuda's purpose-built physical appliances can include internal encryption technology and range from desktop devices with 1 TB of storage to rackmount 4 U hot-swappable arrays with capacities of up to 112 TB. Physical appliances incorporate Barracuda's software, storage and replication technology and, as part of the subscription service, require no up-front capital investment. Subscribers receive a free hardware refresh to the latest physical appliance model every four years. Advantages of a Barracuda physical appliance over a software-based virtual appliance include simplicity of integration and management plus reduced loading on production servers while performing CPU-intensive activities such as hashing blocks during deduplication, compression for offsite replication, and rehydration of data during restoration.
You can use Barracuda's physical or virtual appliances for local and off-site backup, replication and disaster recovery
Barracuda Backup Deduplication
Deduplication is a data compression technique that plays a critical role in any modern backup and recovery solution. Deduplication works by comparing incoming data blocks with backup data that has already been stored. Deduplication algorithms remove redundant incoming data blocks and substitute a concise reference to the data already stored. Barracuda Backup Agents (BBAs) deduplicate and compress local data, including Hyper-V VHD files, on the client-side host server before transmitting the deduplicated data to the physical or virtual Barracuda Backup appliance. By preventing redundant data from being sent to the Barracuda Backup appliance for processing, so-called source-based dedpulication reduces LAN network traffic and significantly shortens the backup window.
The Barracuda Backup Agent (BBA) deduplicates data at the source system to conserve LAN bandwidth
To backup VMware virtual disks, Barracuda Backup takes advantage of VMware's VADP technology, using Changed Block Tracking to avoid sending redundant data chunks to Barracuda Backup appliances.
How Progent Can Help You with Barracuda Backup
Progent's Microsoft-certified Hyper-V consultants and VMware-certified vSphere and vCenter experts can assist your business to design, install and manage a data backup and disaster recovery solution powered by Barracuda Backup. Progent's Exchange consultants can help you use Barracuda Backup to protect your Exchange Server deployment, and Progent's Amazon AWS hybrid cloud consulting experts can help you set up your AWS account to replicate and restore critical data. Progent's Disaster Recovery consultants can show you how Barracuda Backup's offsite and cloud replication capability can protect your vital business data and get you up and running fast in the event of a natural or human-made disaster, a ransomware attack, or any other catastrophic event. Progent's GIAC-certified information assurance consultants can evaluate the security and compliance of your backup ecosystem and can help you leverage affordable tools and smart processes and policies to survive in today's increasingly dangerous IT environment.
Fault Tolerant Technologies Provided by Progent's Experts
Progent's certified support professionals can help your business to build a sensible, non-stop IT architecture that addresses key challenges covering a wide range of networking technologies and processes such as:
Business Continuity Planning
Progent's disaster recovery professionals can help you create a workplace recovery plan so you can restore network functionality in the event of an IT network catastrophe. Progent can assist you to define a complete disaster recovery plan that includes periodic disaster recovery assessments and testing. Progent's Microsoft and Cisco-authorized engineers can also show you how to build an affordable, high-availability network architecture that addresses reliability issues covering a broad range of infrastructure technologies and processes. For more information, see Business Continuity Consulting.
CRISC-Certified IT Risk Mitigation
The Certified in Risk and Information Systems Control (CRISC) certification program was established by ISACA in 2010 to verify a consultant's skills to plan, implement, and maintain IS control mechanisms to mitigate network risk. Progent offers the services of a CRISC-certified engineer to assist you to develop and execute a workplace continuity or disaster recovery plan that follows industry best practices promoted by CRISC and geared to match your company's risk appetite, business objectives, and budgetary guidelines. For more information, see CRISC-Certified IT risk management experts.
Windows Server 2019 High Availability Failover Clustering
Microsoft Windows Server 2019 introduced important improvements in capacity, throughput, management, security and compliance, application compatibility, Linux support, Kubernetes technology, and hybrid integration of local and cloud-hosted resources. Headline enhancements of Windows Server 2019 include Windows Admin Center for centralizing the management of hybrid on-premises/cloud deployments, System Insights for utilizing advance predictive intelligence to manage local networks, Windows Defender Advanced Threat Protection Exploit Guard for host-intrusion defense, container orchestration with Kubernetes, Cluster Sets for building and administering large high-availability scale-out clusters, and Microsoft's Storage Migration Service for streamlining the upgrade process from outdated editions of Windows Server. For more information, visit Microsoft Server 2019 Fault-tolerant Failover Clustering Expertise.
Windows Server 2016 Disaster Recovery and Business Continuity
Progent's Windows Server 2016 disaster recovery experts can assist your organization to plan and deploy a disaster recovery solution based on Microsoft's cloud-tested Failover Clustering tools including Cluster Operating System Rolling Upgrade for non-intrusive migration to Windows Server 2016, Storage Replica for zero-data-loss Recovery Point Objective (RPO), Storage Spaces Direct for enterprise-class network-attached storage using industry-standard equipment, Virtual Machine Load Balancing for improving the performance and fault-tolerance of Failover Clusters while minimizing capital investment and management overhead, and Cloud Witness for easy, economical deployment of a failover cluster quorum arbitration point. To read more, see Microsoft Windows Server 2016 Disaster Recovery and Business Continuity Expertise.
VMware Site Recovery Manager (SRM) Disaster Recovery Solutions
VMware's Site Recovery Manager is an extension to VMware vCenter that allows you to orchestrate, automate and verify a consistent runbook for recovering applications and services rapidly after a breakdown. SRM supports centrally managed and automated recovery, application mobility, and transparent site migration, failback and re-protect. Site Recovery Manager also supports non-disruptive testing for disaster recovery, updates and patches and can generate audit reports to verify full service recovery, validate SLAs and prove compliance. Progent offers the support of a VCDX certified VMware Site Recovery Manager consulting expert to assist you to plan, deploy, test and administer a disaster recovery system based on VMware Site Recovery Manager.
NetApp MetroCluster High Availability and Disaster Recovery Software
NetApp MetroCluster is a disaster recovery software suite that uses array-based storage clustering along with replication to provide rapid, zero RPO disaster recovery between datacenters that are up to 185 miles apart. Progent can provide the skills of a certified NetApp MetroCluster consultant who can help your business to plan, deploy, manage, upgrade, test and repair a disaster recovery solution built around NetApp MetroCluster. Progent can assist you to select a topology for your MetroCluster environment that aligns with your technical needs and budget. Progent can ensure you follow leading practices for configuring your MetroCluster environment by providing help with procedures like assigning disk pools, determining aggregate layout, provisioning volumes, setting up Data ONTAP configuration replication service, installing Cisco and Brocade switches, implementing a tiebreaker mechanism, setting up a configuration replication network between your storage clusters, and verifying your disaster recovery system to verify adherence with information assurance standards and government mandates.
Fault Tolerant Load Balancing
Progent offers fault tolerant load balancing consulting that addresses system load balancing, load balanced applications, LAN/WAN infrastructure routing, and content delivery products including Cisco Content Engine. Non-stop load balancing products for which Progent offers consulting services include Windows Server 2003 and 2008 Network Load Balancing Manager, Citrix Access Suite and Presentation Server, Cisco Content Services Switch, Cisco Content Engine and LocalDirector 400 series, and F5 Networks 3-DNS. For details, see High Availability Load Balancing.
High-Availability Internet Data Centers
Progent's Data Center consultants can help you find high availability data centers that match the specific needs of your company. Fault tolerant colocation sites are particularly attractive to small and mid-size organizations due to of their affordability and simplified logistics in comparison to taking a do-it-yourself strategy. Trying to create an in-house data center that offers even a basic degree of fault tolerance is too expensive for most small organizations. Progent is ready to show you how to get all the benefits of non-stop Internet data centers by offering a full range of engineering and maintenance services. To learn more, see High-Availability Data Centers Solutions.
24x7 Inter-office Connectivity
Progent's inter-site connectivity consultants can help organizations achieve non-stop multi-site connectivity via fully redundant system architectures with automatic failover. Progent's Cisco-premier CCIE engineers can design and deploy high-availability Inter-office connections based on zero-downtime EIGRP network routers or zero-downtime OSPF configurations of Cisco routers. Progent can show you how multi-path connectivity and transparent fail-over can provide economical non-stop interoffice networking. To learn more, see High-Availability Inter-office Connectivity.
Non-stop Internet Connections
Progent's Cisco-certified IT professionals can help you build an affordable, high availability Internet configuration solution that can deliver 24x7 Internet access through a broad array of fault tolerant Internet network technologies including fault tolerant BGP, transparent fail-over, and redundant Internet Service Providers. Progent offers CCIE consultants to help you utilize the latest technology for high availability Internet connections to create an affordable, fully redundant Internet interface with automatic failover and other features to create non-stop Internet availability. To read more, visit High Availability Internet Access Solutions.
Backup and Restore Technology Consulting Experts
Progent offers economical online support from IT engineers skilled in a wide range of utilities and technologies that provide solutions for protecting Windows, Mac, and Linux servers and desktops plus laptops and handhelds. Progent offers consulting support for leading data protection platforms including Acronis, Backup Exec, BackupAssist Software, HP Data Protector, Double-Take Backup, MozyPro, Retrospect, Time Machine, VMware vSphere Data Protection (VDP), and Solaris FLARs. Progent can help your company to design, upgrade, or maintain data backup solutions for a variety of architectures including on-premises, remote, cloud, or hybrid. To read more, visit Backup and Recovery Solutions Consulting Services.
Microsoft System Center Data Protection Manager Backup and Restore Consulting and Support Services
Progent's expert System Center Data Protection Manager support professionals can help you to develop a practical business continuity plan, design an affordable high-availability network infrastructure, deploy a Microsoft System Center Data Protection Manager-powered backup and recovery system, comprehensively test your system, educate your IT personnel or regular service providers how to manage System Center Data Protection Manager, or provide extensive information technology support outsourcing such as off-site hosting of SCDPM servers in Progent's secure data center. For more information, see Microsoft System Center Data Protection Manager Consulting.
ProSight Data Protection Services Altaro VM Backup Solutions for Backup and Disaster Recovery
Altaro VM Backup software provides small and mid-size organizations a dependable and affordable solution for backing up and restoring Hyper-V and VMware-powered virtual machines (VMs). Altaro VM Backup can be deployed in on-premises, offsite, distributed, and cloud architectures and also supports low-cost backup to Microsoft Azure storage. Altaro VM Backup includes advanced capabilities such as Immutable Cloud Storage for enhanced recoverability from ransomware. Progent is a certified Hornetsecurity Altaro partner and offers a wide range of online or onsite consulting services to assist you to design, install, optimize and debug a comprehensive backup and disaster recovery system powered by Altaro VM Backup software. With ProSight DPS Altaro VM Backup, Progent delivers a managed backup/restore service powered by on Altaro VM Backup technology. To read more, go to Altaro VM Backup consulting.
ProSight Data Protection Services 365 Total Backup Solutions for Microsoft 365
Microsoft 365 provides simple archiving but does not include integrated support for vital data protection capabilities such as Exchange backups or long-term point-in-time recovery for OneDrive for Business or SharePoint. Hornetsecurity's 365 Total Backup provides a feature-rich BDR solution for automatic backup and rapid restoration of all your company's M365 mail, Teams Chats, SharePoint sites, OneDrive files, and content on Windows endpoints. Progent is a certified Hornetsecurity/Altaro partner and has designed ProSight Data Protection Services 365 Total Backup to provide comprehensive management services for Hornetsecurity's 365 Total Backup suite. ProSight Data Protection Services 365 Total Backup delivers an affordable backup-as-a-service (BaaS) alternative that protects M365 apps against data loss or corruption resulting from human or system mistakes, malevolent sabotage, and malware assaults such as ransomware. For more information, visit ProSight Data Protection Services 365 Total Backup services for Microsoft 365.
Fully Managed Cloud Backup: ProSight Data Protection Services ECHO
ProSight Data Protection Services ECHO from Progent provide small and medium-sized organizations a low cost and fully managed service for reliable backup/disaster recovery. Available at a low monthly cost, ProSight Data Protection Services ECHO automates and monitors your backup processes and enable fast restoration of critical data, applications and VMs that have become lost or corrupted as a result of hardware breakdowns, software bugs, natural disasters, human mistakes, or malicious attacks such as ransomware. ProSight DPS ECHO can help you back up, recover and restore files, folders, apps, system images, as well as Microsoft Hyper-V and VMware virtual machine images. Important data can be backed up on the cloud, to a local storage device, or mirrored to both. Progent's cloud backup consultants can provide advanced support to configure ProSight DPS ECHO to to comply with government and industry regulatory standards like HIPAA, FIRPA, PCI and Safe Harbor and, when necessary, can assist you to restore your critical information. Find out more about ProSight Data Protection Services ECHO managed cloud backup and recovery.
ProSight Data Protection Services 360 Backup Solutions
Progent can assist you to design, implement and debug a backup solution based on MSP360 technology. MSP360 offers file or image backup/restore for virtual machines and physical computers, works with all leading public clouds, and permits businesses to create a backup solution with a low Recovery Time Objective and a defined Recovery Point Objective. With ProSight DPS 360 Backup, Progent can provide end-to-end monitoring and remote management of your backup system to protect against data loss resulting from user mistakes, computer errors, malicious insiders, and malware assaults such as ransomware. For details, see ProSight Data Protection Services 360 Backup services.
Consulting for Double-Take Solutions for Data Backup and Recovery
Double-Take publishes a family of products designed to deliver small companies a variety of cost-effective solutions for backing up and recovering business-critical applications such as Exchange Server, SQL, Blackberry, and SharePoint. Progent's disaster recovery planning experts have in-depth experience incorporating Double-Take technology into small company information networks to achieve a high state of fault tolerance and disaster recovery capability at a budget-friendly price. To read more, visit Consulting for Double-Take Solutions for Backup.
Why Choose Progent for Disaster Recovery/Business Continuity Planning Solutions?
Since Progent is a Microsoft Certified Partner and offers high-level application support for a broad range of small business applications, Progent can assist customers to arrive at comprehensive information technology solutions that maximize the business value of your network. As a Registered Partner with Cisco, Progent can provide the services of premier consultants and specialists with expertise in designing, implementing and managing infrastructure environments based on Cisco products. The extent of Progent's technical experience and Progent's sensitivity to the requirements of small and midsize businesses make Progent the ideal partner for creating and running a cost-effective, high-availability network.
How You Can Contact Progent's Consultants for Disaster Recovery Planning Help
In order to contact Progent about engineering support for business continuity planning, phone 1-800-993-9400 or see Contact Progent.