Barracuda Backup: Cloud-integrated Backup and Disaster Recovery
Barracuda Backup is a low-cost, subscription-based backup and disaster recovery service for small and medium-size businesses. The Barracuda Backup solution can include a physical, purpose-built Barracuda appliance or a virtual, software-based appliance with similar functionality but which uses your own storage hardware. Barracuda Backup protects critical business data generated on-premises, at one or more remote sites, or in the cloud. For disaster preparedness, you can replicate data to the Barracuda Cloud, to Amazon Web Services (AWS), or to any private location you designate. A simple-to-operate and web-accessible management and reporting console makes it easy to administer and monitor all backup, replication, retention and recovery processes in real time.
Key features of Barracuda Backup include:
Progent is a certified Barracuda partner and offers a wide array of consulting and management services to help you design, integrate, operate and troubleshoot a backup and disaster recovery solution built on Barracuda technology. Progent also offers ProSight Data Protection Services managed backup as an affordable turnkey service that allows you to outsource the management of your backup/recovery system. ProSight Data Protection Services incorporates cloud-based backup technology developed by Intronis, a company acquired by Barracuda. Progent's Hyper-V consulting experts and VMware consultants can assist your business to plan and configure virtual machine deployments that utilize any combination of local, remote and cloud-based resources. Progent can also provide advanced business continuity/disaster recovery (BCDR) planning consulting to help businesses of any size to recover quickly from cyber attacks such as ransomware or from other catastrophic events caused by natural or human-caused disasters, hardware breakdowns, or other reasons.
- LiveBoot and Cloud LiveBoot enable recovery Microsoft Hyper-V and VMware VMs in minutes, minimizing business disruption
- Cloud-to-Cloud Backup protects against data loss in Microsoft Office 365 and Exchange Online environments
- Offsite vaulting of historical revisions conserves local storage resources so they can be used for production applications
- In-line deduplication and data compression can cut storage requirements and network bandwidth usage in half
Capabilities of Barracuda Backup
Barracuda Backup offers small and mid-size organizations a full-featured data protection solution by providing advanced capabilities in the areas of backup, recovery and management. Barracuda Backup protects the most popular operating systems, the most widely used versions of Hyper-V and VMware, and cloud-hosted Microsoft applications. Mission-critical servers can be backed up as often as every 15 minutes to support a low Recovery Point Objective (RPO). Replication to offsite datacenters and to the cloud facilitate disaster recovery and offer deployment options to suit any SMB.
Mac OS X
Barracuda Backup works with popular operating systems, hypervisors and cloud-hosted applications
Secure Backup and Replication
Barracuda Backup utilizes a physical or virtual (software-based) onsite appliance that securely and automatically replicates data offsite. Local backup allows fast restores, and offsite replication supports disaster recovery.
Restore and Disaster Recovery
- Hardware-Encrypted Appliance: Barracuda Encrypted Backup is a service option that uses disk drives which can be read only when the drives are installed in the physical Barracuda appliance. In case the entire encrypted appliance is taken from a site, disk data can only be read after a power-on password is correctly entered. Native encryption technology is incorporated in the drives used in this option, which eliminates the dramatic performance loss associated with software-based encryption.
- Inline Deduplication and Compression: Barracuda Backup services using either physical or virtual appliances include Inline, block-level, source-based and target-based deduplication and compression. This results in a significant reduction in storage and bandwidth use and cuts the time it takes to complete backup and replication operations. Barracuda's variable block deduplication algorithms evaluate data type and chunk size in order to determine a block size that delivers the highest degree of deduplication. For businesses with multiple locations, Barracuda's advanced global deduplication and cloud storage technology offer significant savings in storage infrastructure without compromising data protection.
- Secure and Efficient Replication: Barracuda Backup offers a variety of low-cost options for copying business-critical data offsite to protect against local events that may disable your datacenter. You can use built-in WAN acceleration to replicate protected data to the Barracuda Cloud, to the Amazon Web Services (AWS) cloud, or to a Barracuda physical or virtual backup appliance located at any remote location. You can also export replicated data to external disk, tape, autoloaders, or robotic libraries. Wherever you choose to replicate your data, it will be transferred and stored using military-grade 256-bit AES encryption. Barracuda replication can use VMware Changed Block Tracking (CBT) and requires only a single agent for Windows systems and apps.
- Offsite Vaulting: To help businesses comply with internal or regulatory retention policies and to reduce the cost of storing archival backups, Barracuda Backup supports offsite vaulting. You can transfer on-premises copies of monthly and yearly backups from a local Barracuda appliance to the Barracuda Cloud or to a different Barracuda appliance.
- Cloud-to-Cloud Backup: To recover from data loss due to human error such as accidental deletions, Barracuda offers Cloud-to-Cloud Backup for Microsoft Office 365. This can protect Exchange Online mailboxes and OneDrive for Business files and folders.
Barracuda Backup supports a variety of recovery options for physical servers and virtual machines. You can restore data from a local Barracuda Backup appliance, from a remote Barracuda Backup appliance that has been used to replicate that system, or from Barracuda Cloud Storage.
Management and Reporting
- P2V Restores: You can restore physical server backups into a virtual environment (P2V restores) hosted by VMware vSphere or Microsoft Hyper-V.
- Bare Metal Recovery (BMR): Bare metal recovery lets you restore a complete Windows computer system, including data, settings, applications, and operating system, onto a new computer on which no software has been installed. BMR is useful for a variety of common restoration scenarios including replacing a lost notebook or provisioning a new one, refreshing a server's hardware, moving from a physical to a virtual server, migrating from a rotating disk to a solid-state drive, or recovering from a cyber attack that corrupted your operating system.
- LiveBoot: The LiveBoot feature allows instant recovery of VMware virtual guest machines. If your primary storage system fails, Barracuda Backup can operate as data storage for your VMware ESXi server. You can recover any revision of a guest VM based on your retention policy and immediately use files and applications in their deduplicated state stored within Barracuda Backup. You can also use LiveBoot for granular file-level recovery as well as for item-level recovery for supported applications including Exchange, Microsoft SQL, and SharePoint.
- Cloud LiveBoot: When you back up a Hyper-V or VMware virtual guest server and replicate to Barracuda Cloud Storage, you can boot the server in Barracuda's Cloud directly from the Barracuda Backup web interface with no additional configuration. You can recover any revision of a virtual guest server within your retention policy, boot virtual servers in the cloud to recover and traverse the file structure of virtual guest system data, and retrieve individual Active Directory (AD) objects. For testing purposes, you can boot the virtual guest system to confirm data integrity or to set up a sandbox for trying out new or updated applications without risk to your production environment.
- Granular Recovery: From the Barracuda Backup web interface you can recover an entire share, a file, a file system directory, a mailbox, mailbox folders, or individual messages. You can restore data to its original location or to any other networked computer where the Barracuda Backup Agent is installed.
- Retention Policies: Barracuda Backup retention policies allow you to keep historic data based on daily, weekly, monthly, or yearly time intervals. You can create Barracuda Backup retention policies for different sets of data including VMs, email messages, and data backed up by the Barracuda Backup Agent including Exchange, SQL, Hyper-V, and System State. This flexibility allows you to comply with regulatory or litigation requirements and fine tune data protection and disaster recovery plans.
- Microsoft Exchange Support: Barracuda Backup automatically creates a recovery mailbox database for Microsoft Exchange Server 2013 and higher. You can restore individual Exchange Mailbox folders, such as the Inbox, as well as Contacts, Calendars, and Notes. You can also use Barracuda Backup's web interface to view, search, and restore individual Microsoft Exchange messages. You can view all of the messages within an individual mailbox and you can perform a string search across multiple mailboxes.
- VMware CBT Restores: VMware Changed Block Tracking (CBT) is used to perform incremental backups on VMware ESX/ESXi VMs. CBT identifies and tracks block changes that occurred after the most recent backup and logs these changes. This significantly lowers the number and duration of backup windows and improves the speed and efficiency of subsequent replication.
The Barracuda Appliance web interface is a modern, easy-to-use tool for configuring, monitoring and administering your Barracuda Backup solution from a centralized and web-accessible utility. A similar Cloud-to-Cloud Backup tool is also available. Both tools feature six tabs that open pages with a rich set of management capabilities.
Barracuda's web-based management tool simplifies the protection of local, multi-site, or cloud-based data
Barracuda Backup Physical and Virtual Appliances
- Dashboard: Provides a panoramic view of all devices on the subscriber's Barracuda Backup account. This section uses interactive graphs and tables to describe a wealth of information including the performance and health of local and offsite backups, agents, and data sources. Other information includes offsite transfer remaining, offsite transfer efficiency, storage efficiency, backup reports, storage allocation, current tasks, storage and transfer history, and Barracuda subscription information.
- Backup: Controls data sources and manages how data is backed up locally and replicated offsite. This section allows you to control replication from Barracuda appliances for disaster recovery, granular backup scheduling, directory and file exclusions, rate limits, and retention policies.
- Restore: Allows you to restore data from a local Barracuda physical or virtual appliance, replicated data from a remote appliance, or data from Barracuda Cloud Storage. The Restore Browser page lets you recover a range items that include Microsoft Hyper-V and VMware servers, Exchange Server, SQL Server databases, Active Directory objects, SharePoint objects, and Windows System State. The Restore Browser page also gives you access to LiveBoot, Cloud LiveBoot, and P2V restores. You can use the LiveBrowse feature to view and traverse file structures inside backed up Hyper-V and VMware VMDK, VHD, and VHDX files and you can download files and directories from Hyper-V and VMware snapshots.
- Reports: Allows you to view detailed reports on backups, restores, and large items, plus an audit log of all activities. The Backup Report includes a report detailing every backup that has been performed or is currently running. The tabular and sortable Restore Report provides details for a specified range of restore operations and includes any errors encountered and a list of restored content. The Large Items Report lists large files and includes the source and path of the data plus the size of the file before and after deduplication. The Audit Log Report shows all logged activities in the Barracuda Backup web interface for specified users and time periods.
- System: Allows you to manage firmware version and settings for Barracuda Backup and to download software tools to use with Barracuda Backup.
- Admin: Allows you to configure email notifications, authentication, and permissions for users, add and delete display groups to manage multiple Barracuda Backup appliances, activate an appliance, and add and configure your Amazon Web Services (AWS) Account to Barracuda Backup (this requires an AWS Replication subscription).
Barracuda Backup services can be deployed with any mix of physical Barracuda appliances, software-based virtual appliances that utilize your own compute and storage infrastructure (called Barracuda Backup Vx), or Cloud-to-Cloud backup. Barracuda's purpose-built physical appliances can include internal encryption technology and range from desktop devices with 1 TB of storage to rackmount 4 U hot-swappable arrays with capacities of up to 112 TB. Physical appliances incorporate Barracuda's software, storage and replication technology and, as part of the subscription service, require no up-front capital investment. Subscribers receive a free hardware refresh to the latest physical appliance model every four years. Advantages of a Barracuda physical appliance over a software-based virtual appliance include simplicity of integration and management plus reduced loading on production servers while performing CPU-intensive activities such as hashing blocks during deduplication, compression for offsite replication, and rehydration of data during restoration.
You can use Barracuda's physical or virtual appliances for local and off-site backup, replication and disaster recovery
Barracuda Backup Deduplication
Deduplication is a data compression technique that plays a critical role in any modern backup and recovery solution. Deduplication works by comparing incoming data blocks with backup data that has already been stored. Deduplication algorithms remove redundant incoming data blocks and substitute a concise reference to the data already stored. Barracuda Backup Agents (BBAs) deduplicate and compress local data, including Hyper-V VHD files, on the client-side host server before transmitting the deduplicated data to the physical or virtual Barracuda Backup appliance. By preventing redundant data from being sent to the Barracuda Backup appliance for processing, so-called source-based dedpulication reduces LAN network traffic and significantly shortens the backup window.
The Barracuda Backup Agent (BBA) deduplicates data at the source system to conserve LAN bandwidth
To backup VMware virtual disks, Barracuda Backup takes advantage of VMware's VADP technology, using Changed Block Tracking to avoid sending redundant data chunks to Barracuda Backup appliances.
How Progent Can Help You with Barracuda Backup
Progent's Microsoft-certified Hyper-V consultants and VMware-certified vSphere and vCenter experts can assist your business to design, install and manage a data backup and disaster recovery solution powered by Barracuda Backup. Progent's Exchange consultants can help you use Barracuda Backup to protect your Exchange Server deployment, and Progent's Amazon AWS hybrid cloud consulting experts can help you set up your AWS account to replicate and restore critical data. Progent's Disaster Recovery consultants can show you how Barracuda Backup's offsite and cloud replication capability can protect your vital business data and get you up and running fast in the event of a natural or human-made disaster, a ransomware attack, or any other catastrophic event. Progent's GIAC-certified information assurance consultants can evaluate the security and compliance of your backup ecosystem and can help you leverage affordable tools and smart processes and policies to survive in today's increasingly dangerous IT environment.
Other High Availability Solutions Offered by Progent's Consultants
Progent's certified support professionals can help you to build a sensible, fault-tolerant environment that addresses critical challenges encompassing a broad range of infrastructure technologies and operations such as:
Disaster Recovery Planning
Progent's business continuity engineers can help you create a workplace recovery strategy so you can resume IT functionality in case of an information system catastrophe. Progent can help you to develop a comprehensive disaster recovery strategy that includes scheduled disaster recovery assessments and drills. Progent's Microsoft and Cisco-certified consultants can also show you how to create an affordable, non-stop network solution that takes into account availability issues covering a wide range of network technologies and procedures. For details, visit Business Continuity Consulting and Support Services.
Managed Cloud Backup: ProSight Data Protection Services
ProSight Data Protection Services from Progent offer small and medium-sized organizations an affordable end-to-end service for secure backup/disaster recovery. For a low monthly price, ProSight DPS automates your backup processes and enables fast restoration of critical data, applications and VMs that have become unavailable or corrupted as a result of component failures, software glitches, disasters, human mistakes, or malicious attacks like ransomware. ProSight Data Protection Services can help you back up, recover and restore files, folders, apps, system images, as well as Microsoft Hyper-V and VMware images/. Important data can be protected on the cloud, to a local device, or to both. Progent's BDR specialists can provide world-class expertise to set up ProSight Data Protection Services to be compliant with regulatory standards such as HIPPA, FIRPA, and PCI and, whenever needed, can assist you to recover your critical information. Find out more about ProSight Data Protection Services Managed Cloud Backup.
Microsoft Server 2016 Disaster Recovery
Progent's Windows Server 2016 disaster recovery/business continuity consultants can assist you to design a disaster recovery system built around Microsoft's most advanced Failover Clustering tools including Cluster OS Rolling Upgrade for non-disruptive migration to Windows Server 2016, Storage Replica for crash-consistent Recovery Point Objective (RPO), Storage Spaces Direct for high-performance storage clusters using commodity equipment, Virtual Machine Load Balancing for improving the performance and fault-tolerance of Failover Clusters while reducing capital investment and operational expenses, and Cloud Witness for easy, economical creation of a failover cluster quorum witness. For details, see Microsoft Windows Server 2016 Disaster Recovery and Business Continuity Help.
Microsoft Windows Server 2012 Failover Clustering
Windows Server 2008 R2 brought world-class availability and system recovery to Microsoft's failover clustering solution. Windows Server 2012 R2 adds to this technology and delivers significant new and enhanced features offering more scalability, better disk storage uptime for server applications, easier management, faster automatic failover, and additional options for architecting failover clusters. For more information, see Windows Server 2012 R2 Failover Clustering Integration.
VMware Site Recovery Manager (SRM) Disaster Recovery Solutions
VMware's Site Recovery Manager is an extension to VMware vCenter that allows you to define, automate and test a repeatable process for recovering services rapidly after a breakdown. Site Recovery Manager provides centrally controlled and automated recovery, application mobility, and non-intrusive site relocation, failback and site re-protect. SRM also enables non-intrusive testing for site recovery, updates and patches and can produce reports to confirm full service restoration, validate Service Level Agreements and demonstrate disaster recovery compliance. Progent offers the support of a VCDX certified VMware SRM consultant to assist you to plan, deploy, test and maintain a disaster recovery solution based on VMware SRM.
NetApp MetroCluster Disaster Recovery Technology
NetApp MetroCluster is a high-availability and disaster recovery software suite that uses failover storage clustering along with synchronous replication to provide rapid, zero RPO disaster recovery between datacenters located up to 185 miles (300km) apart from each other. Progent offers access to a NetApp MetroCluster expert who can assist you to design, deploy, manage, update, test and troubleshoot a disaster recovery solution built around NetApp MetroCluster. Progent can help you to select an architecture for your MetroCluster deployment that aligns with your functional requirements and budget. Progent can ensure you follow leading practices for installing your MetroCluster environment by providing help with procedures like assigning disk pools, determining aggregate and plexes layout, provisioning NetApp FlexVol volumes, setting up NetApp Snapshot, installing Cisco and Brocade switches, designing a tiebreaker mechanism, setting up a configuration replication network between your peered clusters, and testing your disaster recovery solution to show compliance with industry standards and regulatory requirements.
Fault Tolerant Load Balancing
Progent provides high availability load balancing consulting covering network load balancing, load balanced applications, LAN/WAN backbone routing, and content delivery products such as Cisco Content Engine. Fault tolerant load balancing technologies for which Progent can provide consulting expertise include Windows Server 2003 and 2008 Network Load Balancing Manager, Citrix Metaframe and Presentation Server, Cisco Content Services Switch, Cisco Distributed Director and ACNS, and F5 Networks 3-DNS. For details, see Non-stop Load Balancing.
Zero Downtime Internet Data Centers
Progent's Data Center engineers can show you how to select zero-downtime data centers that match the particular needs of your business. Fault tolerant Internet Data Centers are especially appealing to small and mid-size companies because of their low cost and simplified logistics in comparison to taking a do-it-yourself strategy. Trying to create an in-house data center that offers even a basic level of fault tolerance is financially prohibitive for typical small companies. Progent is ready to help you reap all the advantages of non-stop colo sites by offering a full array of consulting and maintenance services. For more information, see Non-stop Data Centers Consulting.
High-Availability Branch Office Networking
Progentís branch office connectivity engineers can help companies achieve non-stop branch office connections by means of redundant networks featuring automatic failover. Progentís Cisco-premier CCIE network engineers can design and deploy fault-tolerant Inter-office connections based on non-stop EIGRP routers or non-stop OSPF configurations of Cisco routers. Progent can demonstrate how multi-path connections and transparent fail-over offers affordable non-stop interoffice connectivity. To learn more, see Non-stop Inter-office Connectivity.
High Availability Internet Access
Progent's Cisco-certified network engineers can show you how to design an economical, fault tolerant Internet connection solution that can deliver non-stop Internet access through a wide array of high availability Internet network solutions including high availability BGP, transparent fail-over, and multiple ISPs. Progent offers CCIE consultants to help you utilize the latest technology for high availability Internet connections to create an economical, completely redundant Internet network with automatic failover and other capabilities to create zero-downtime Internet access. To learn more, see 24x7 Internet Access Architecture.
Backup and Recovery Solutions Consulting and Support Services
Progent can provide economical remote support from IT engineers with expertise in a broad range of products and technologies that deliver solutions for protecting Windows, Mac, and Linux physical and virtual servers and desktops as well as laptops and smartphones. Progent can provide expertise for all major data protection platforms including Acronis Backup and Recovery, Symantec Backup Exec, BackupAssist Software, HP Data Protector, Double-Take Software, MozyPro, Retrospect, Apple Time Machine, vSphere Data Protection, and FLARs. Progent can assist your company to implement, upgrade, or maintain backup systems for a range of environments such as on-premises, remote, cloud, or a mix. For details, go to Backup and Recovery Technology Expertise.
Microsoft System Center Data Protection Manager (SCDPM) Backup and Restore Consulting Services
Progent's expert Microsoft SCDPM engineers can help you to develop an effective business continuity plan, implement a cost-effective high-availability IT infrastructure, deploy a Microsoft System Center Data Protection Manager-powered recovery system, thoroughly test your system, train your IT staff or local consultants how to manage Microsoft System Center Data Protection Manager, or provide extensive information technology outsourcing services including remote housing of Microsoft SCDPM servers in Progent's world-class data center. To read more, visit Microsoft System Center Data Protection Manager Expertise.
Altaro VM Backup Software for Data Protection and Disaster Recovery
Altaro VM Backup provides small and mid-size organizations a dependable and budget-friendly solution for backing up and recovering Hyper-V and VMware-based virtual machines. Altaro VM Backup can be used for local, offsite, multi-site, and cloud architectures and also enables cost-effective cloud backup to Microsoft Azure storage. Headline capabilities include industry-leading inline deduplication to reduce backup storage needs, Continuous Data Protection with backup spacing as low as five minutes for reducing your exposure to data loss, military-grade encryption, granular recovery capability for individual files and emails, extensive support for Windows Server CSV and VMware vCenter for managing larger deployments, and support for Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) to back up online virtual machines without downtime. Progent is a certified Altaro partner and can provide a broad array of services to assist you to design, install, optimize and troubleshoot a backup/restore system powered by Altaro VM Backup software. For details, see Altaro VM Backup Certified Consultants.
Consulting for Double-Take Software for Backup and Recovery
Double-Take Software offers a selection of products intended to provide small and midsize businesses a variety of affordable solutions for backing up and recovering business-critical applications such as Exchange Server, SQL, RIM Blackberry, and SharePoint. Progentís business continuity planning experts have in-depth experience integrating Double-Take technology into small business IT systems to achieve an advanced state of fault tolerance and business continuity capability at an affordable cost. For more information, visit Consulting Services Double-Take Software for Data Backup.
CRISC-Premier IT Risk Mitigation
The Certified in Risk and Information Systems Control (CRISC) program was initiated by ISACA to validate a consultant's skills to plan, implement, and support IS control mechanisms to mitigate network risk. Progent can provide the expertise of a CRISC-certified engineer to help your company to develop and carry out a business continuity or disaster recovery plan that follows industry best practices promoted by CRISC and geared to match your organization's risk appetite, business goals, and budgetary guidelines. To find out more, see CRISC-Premier network risk control specialists.
Why Choose Progent for Disaster Recovery/Business Continuity Planning Solutions?
Since Progent is a Microsoft Certified Partner and provides high-level application support for a wide variety of business software programs, Progent is able to help clients to arrive at comprehensive information technology solutions that substantially enhance the business value of your IT network. As a Registered Partner with Cisco, Progent can provide the expertise of premier consultants and specialists with expertise in architecting, deploying and supporting networking environments based on Cisco products. The depth of Progent's technical know-how and Progent's sensitivity to the requirements of small companies make Progent the ideal resource for building and running an affordable, dependable information system.
How to Get in Touch with Progent's Experts for Disaster Recovery Planning Support
In order to get in touch with Progent about consulting help for disaster recovery planning, call 1-800-993-9400 or go to Contact Progent.