Barracuda Backup: Cloud-integrated Backup and Disaster Recovery
Barracuda Backup is a low-cost, subscription-based backup and disaster recovery service for small and medium-size businesses. The Barracuda Backup solution can include a physical, purpose-built Barracuda appliance or a virtual, software-based appliance with similar functionality but which uses your own storage hardware. Barracuda Backup protects critical business data generated on-premises, at one or more remote sites, or in the cloud. For disaster preparedness, you can replicate data to the Barracuda Cloud, to Amazon Web Services (AWS), or to any private location you designate. A simple-to-operate and web-accessible management and reporting console makes it easy to administer and monitor all backup, replication, retention and recovery processes in real time.
Key features of Barracuda Backup include:
Progent is a certified Barracuda partner and offers a wide array of consulting and management services to help you design, integrate, operate and troubleshoot a backup and disaster recovery solution built on Barracuda technology. Progent also offers ProSight Data Protection Services managed backup as an affordable turnkey service that allows you to outsource the management of your backup/recovery system. ProSight Data Protection Services incorporates cloud-based backup technology developed by Intronis, a company acquired by Barracuda. Progent's Hyper-V consulting experts and VMware consultants can assist your business to plan and configure virtual machine deployments that utilize any combination of local, remote and cloud-based resources. Progent can also provide advanced business continuity/disaster recovery (BCDR) planning consulting to help businesses of any size to recover quickly from cyber attacks such as ransomware or from other catastrophic events caused by natural or human-caused disasters, hardware breakdowns, or other reasons.
- LiveBoot and Cloud LiveBoot enable recovery Microsoft Hyper-V and VMware VMs in minutes, minimizing business disruption
- Cloud-to-Cloud Backup protects against data loss in Microsoft Office 365 and Exchange Online environments
- Offsite vaulting of historical revisions conserves local storage resources so they can be used for production applications
- In-line deduplication and data compression can cut storage requirements and network bandwidth usage in half
Capabilities of Barracuda Backup
Barracuda Backup offers small and mid-size organizations a full-featured data protection solution by providing advanced capabilities in the areas of backup, recovery and management. Barracuda Backup protects the most popular operating systems, the most widely used versions of Hyper-V and VMware, and cloud-hosted Microsoft applications. Mission-critical servers can be backed up as often as every 15 minutes to support a low Recovery Point Objective (RPO). Replication to offsite datacenters and to the cloud facilitate disaster recovery and offer deployment options to suit any SMB.
Mac OS X
Barracuda Backup works with popular operating systems, hypervisors and cloud-hosted applications
Secure Backup and Replication
Barracuda Backup utilizes a physical or virtual (software-based) onsite appliance that securely and automatically replicates data offsite. Local backup allows fast restores, and offsite replication supports disaster recovery.
Restore and Disaster Recovery
- Hardware-Encrypted Appliance: Barracuda Encrypted Backup is a service option that uses disk drives which can be read only when the drives are installed in the physical Barracuda appliance. In case the entire encrypted appliance is taken from a site, disk data can only be read after a power-on password is correctly entered. Native encryption technology is incorporated in the drives used in this option, which eliminates the dramatic performance loss associated with software-based encryption.
- Inline Deduplication and Compression: Barracuda Backup services using either physical or virtual appliances include Inline, block-level, source-based and target-based deduplication and compression. This results in a significant reduction in storage and bandwidth use and cuts the time it takes to complete backup and replication operations. Barracudaís variable block deduplication algorithms evaluate data type and chunk size in order to determine a block size that delivers the highest degree of deduplication. For businesses with multiple locations, Barracuda's advanced global deduplication and cloud storage technology offer significant savings in storage infrastructure without compromising data protection.
- Secure and Efficient Replication: Barracuda Backup offers a variety of low-cost options for copying business-critical data offsite to protect against local events that may disable your datacenter. You can use built-in WAN acceleration to replicate protected data to the Barracuda Cloud, to the Amazon Web Services (AWS) cloud, or to a Barracuda physical or virtual backup appliance located at any remote location. You can also export replicated data to external disk, tape, autoloaders, or robotic libraries. Wherever you choose to replicate your data, it will be transferred and stored using military-grade 256-bit AES encryption. Barracuda replication can use VMware Changed Block Tracking (CBT) and requires only a single agent for Windows systems and apps.
- Offsite Vaulting: To help businesses comply with internal or regulatory retention policies and to reduce the cost of storing archival backups, Barracuda Backup supports offsite vaulting. You can transfer on-premises copies of monthly and yearly backups from a local Barracuda appliance to the Barracuda Cloud or to a different Barracuda appliance.
- Cloud-to-Cloud Backup: To recover from data loss due to human error such as accidental deletions, Barracuda offers Cloud-to-Cloud Backup for Microsoft Office 365. This can protect Exchange Online mailboxes and OneDrive for Business files and folders.
Barracuda Backup supports a variety of recovery options for physical servers and virtual machines. You can restore data from a local Barracuda Backup appliance, from a remote Barracuda Backup appliance that has been used to replicate that system, or from Barracuda Cloud Storage.
Management and Reporting
- P2V Restores: You can restore physical server backups into a virtual environment (P2V restores) hosted by VMware vSphere or Microsoft Hyper-V.
- Bare Metal Recovery (BMR): Bare metal recovery lets you restore a complete Windows computer system, including data, settings, applications, and operating system, onto a new computer on which no software has been installed. BMR is useful for a variety of common restoration scenarios including replacing a lost notebook or provisioning a new one, refreshing a server's hardware, moving from a physical to a virtual server, migrating from a rotating disk to a solid-state drive, or recovering from a cyber attack that corrupted your operating system.
- LiveBoot: The LiveBoot feature allows instant recovery of VMware virtual guest machines. If your primary storage system fails, Barracuda Backup can operate as data storage for your VMware ESXi server. You can recover any revision of a guest VM based on your retention policy and immediately use files and applications in their deduplicated state stored within Barracuda Backup. You can also use LiveBoot for granular file-level recovery as well as for item-level recovery for supported applications including Exchange, Microsoft SQL, and SharePoint.
- Cloud LiveBoot: When you back up a Hyper-V or VMware virtual guest server and replicate to Barracuda Cloud Storage, you can boot the server in Barracuda's Cloud directly from the Barracuda Backup web interface with no additional configuration. You can recover any revision of a virtual guest server within your retention policy, boot virtual servers in the cloud to recover and traverse the file structure of virtual guest system data, and retrieve individual Active Directory (AD) objects. For testing purposes, you can boot the virtual guest system to confirm data integrity or to set up a sandbox for trying out new or updated applications without risk to your production environment.
- Granular Recovery: From the Barracuda Backup web interface you can recover an entire share, a file, a file system directory, a mailbox, mailbox folders, or individual messages. You can restore data to its original location or to any other networked computer where the Barracuda Backup Agent is installed.
- Retention Policies: Barracuda Backup retention policies allow you to keep historic data based on daily, weekly, monthly, or yearly time intervals. You can create Barracuda Backup retention policies for different sets of data including VMs, email messages, and data backed up by the Barracuda Backup Agent including Exchange, SQL, Hyper-V, and System State. This flexibility allows you to comply with regulatory or litigation requirements and fine tune data protection and disaster recovery plans.
- Microsoft Exchange Support: Barracuda Backup automatically creates a recovery mailbox database for Microsoft Exchange Server 2013 and higher. You can restore individual Exchange Mailbox folders, such as the Inbox, as well as Contacts, Calendars, and Notes. You can also use Barracuda Backup's web interface to view, search, and restore individual Microsoft Exchange messages. You can view all of the messages within an individual mailbox and you can perform a string search across multiple mailboxes.
- VMware CBT Restores: VMware Changed Block Tracking (CBT) is used to perform incremental backups on VMware ESX/ESXi VMs. CBT identifies and tracks block changes that occurred after the most recent backup and logs these changes. This significantly lowers the number and duration of backup windows and improves the speed and efficiency of subsequent replication.
The Barracuda Appliance web interface is a modern, easy-to-use tool for configuring, monitoring and administering your Barracuda Backup solution from a centralized and web-accessible utility. A similar Cloud-to-Cloud Backup tool is also available. Both tools feature six tabs that open pages with a rich set of management capabilities.
Barracuda's web-based management tool simplifies the protection of local, multi-site, or cloud-based data
Barracuda Backup Physical and Virtual Appliances
- Dashboard: Provides a panoramic view of all devices on the subscriber's Barracuda Backup account. This section uses interactive graphs and tables to describe a wealth of information including the performance and health of local and offsite backups, agents, and data sources. Other information includes offsite transfer remaining, offsite transfer efficiency, storage efficiency, backup reports, storage allocation, current tasks, storage and transfer history, and Barracuda subscription information.
- Backup: Controls data sources and manages how data is backed up locally and replicated offsite. This section allows you to control replication from Barracuda appliances for disaster recovery, granular backup scheduling, directory and file exclusions, rate limits, and retention policies.
- Restore: Allows you to restore data from a local Barracuda physical or virtual appliance, replicated data from a remote appliance, or data from Barracuda Cloud Storage. The Restore Browser page lets you recover a range items that include Microsoft Hyper-V and VMware servers, Exchange Server, SQL Server databases, Active Directory objects, SharePoint objects, and Windows System State. The Restore Browser page also gives you access to LiveBoot, Cloud LiveBoot, and P2V restores. You can use the LiveBrowse feature to view and traverse file structures inside backed up Hyper-V and VMware VMDK, VHD, and VHDX files and you can download files and directories from Hyper-V and VMware snapshots.
- Reports: Allows you to view detailed reports on backups, restores, and large items, plus an audit log of all activities. The Backup Report includes a report detailing every backup that has been performed or is currently running. The tabular and sortable Restore Report provides details for a specified range of restore operations and includes any errors encountered and a list of restored content. The Large Items Report lists large files and includes the source and path of the data plus the size of the file before and after deduplication. The Audit Log Report shows all logged activities in the Barracuda Backup web interface for specified users and time periods.
- System: Allows you to manage firmware version and settings for Barracuda Backup and to download software tools to use with Barracuda Backup.
- Admin: Allows you to configure email notifications, authentication, and permissions for users, add and delete display groups to manage multiple Barracuda Backup appliances, activate an appliance, and add and configure your Amazon Web Services (AWS) Account to Barracuda Backup (this requires an AWS Replication subscription).
Barracuda Backup services can be deployed with any mix of physical Barracuda appliances, software-based virtual appliances that utilize your own compute and storage infrastructure (called Barracuda Backup Vx), or Cloud-to-Cloud backup. Barracuda's purpose-built physical appliances can include internal encryption technology and range from desktop devices with 1 TB of storage to rackmount 4 U hot-swappable arrays with capacities of up to 112 TB. Physical appliances incorporate Barracuda's software, storage and replication technology and, as part of the subscription service, require no up-front capital investment. Subscribers receive a free hardware refresh to the latest physical appliance model every four years. Advantages of a Barracuda physical appliance over a software-based virtual appliance include simplicity of integration and management plus reduced loading on production servers while performing CPU-intensive activities such as hashing blocks during deduplication, compression for offsite replication, and rehydration of data during restoration.
You can use Barracuda's physical or virtual appliances for local and off-site backup, replication and disaster recovery
Barracuda Backup Deduplication
Deduplication is a data compression technique that plays a critical role in any modern backup and recovery solution. Deduplication works by comparing incoming data blocks with backup data that has already been stored. Deduplication algorithms remove redundant incoming data blocks and substitute a concise reference to the data already stored. Barracuda Backup Agents (BBAs) deduplicate and compress local data, including Hyper-V VHD files, on the client-side host server before transmitting the deduplicated data to the physical or virtual Barracuda Backup appliance. By preventing redundant data from being sent to the Barracuda Backup appliance for processing, so-called source-based dedpulication reduces LAN network traffic and significantly shortens the backup window.
The Barracuda Backup Agent (BBA) deduplicates data at the source system to conserve LAN bandwidth
To backup VMware virtual disks, Barracuda Backup takes advantage of VMwareís VADP technology, using Changed Block Tracking to avoid sending redundant data chunks to Barracuda Backup appliances.
How Progent Can Help You with Barracuda Backup
Progent's Microsoft-certified Hyper-V consultants and VMware-certified vSphere and vCenter experts can assist your business to design, install and manage a data backup and disaster recovery solution powered by Barracuda Backup. Progent's Exchange consultants can help you use Barracuda Backup to protect your Exchange Server deployment, and Progent's Amazon AWS hybrid cloud consulting experts can help you set up your AWS account to replicate and restore critical data. Progent's Disaster Recovery consultants can show you how Barracuda Backup's offsite and cloud replication capability can protect your vital business data and get you up and running fast in the event of a natural or human-made disaster, a ransomware attack, or any other catastrophic event. Progent's GIAC-certified information assurance consultants can evaluate the security and compliance of your backup ecosystem and can help you leverage affordable tools and smart processes and policies to survive in today's increasingly dangerous IT environment.
Other High Availability Technologies Provided by Progent
Progent's Microsoft and Cisco consulting experts can help your company to implement a cost-effective, high-availability IT architecture that addresses key problems encompassing a wide range of networking technologies and processes including:
Disaster Recovery Planning
Progent's disaster recovery planning professionals can show you how to create a disaster recovery plan so you can restore IT operations in case of an IT network catastrophe. Progent can help you to define a comprehensive disaster recovery strategy that incorporates scheduled disaster recovery evaluations and testing. Progent's Microsoft and Cisco-certified professionals can also show you how to create an affordable, non-stop system architecture that takes into account reliability issues involving a broad range of network technologies and processes. To learn more, go to Workplace Recovery Expertise.
Fully Managed Cloud Backup: ProSight Data Protection Services
ProSight Data Protection Services from Progent provide small and mid-sized organizations an affordable end-to-end solution for secure backup/disaster recovery. For a fixed monthly price, ProSight DPS automates and monitors your backup activities and enables fast restoration of vital files, applications and virtual machines that have become lost or damaged as a result of hardware failures, software glitches, natural disasters, human error, or malicious attacks such as ransomware. ProSight Data Protection Services can help you back up, retrieve and restore files, folders, applications, system images, as well as Hyper-V and VMware virtual machine images. Critical data can be protected on the cloud, to a local device, or to both. Progent's BDR consultants can provide world-class expertise to set up ProSight Data Protection Services to be compliant with regulatory standards like HIPPA, FIRPA, and PCI and, when necessary, can assist you to recover your critical data. Learn more about ProSight DPS Managed Cloud Backup.
Microsoft Windows Server 2016 Disaster Recovery and Business Continuity
Progent's Windows Server 2016 disaster recovery/business continuity consultants can assist your organization to plan and deploy a DR solution based on Microsoft's cloud-tested Failover Clustering tools such as Cluster OS Rolling Upgrade for non-intrusive migration to Windows Server 2016, Storage Replica for zero-data-loss recovery, Storage Spaces Direct for high-performance storage clusters using industry-standard hardware, VM Load Balancing for improving the performance and fault-tolerance of Failover Clusters while minimizing capital investment and management overhead, and Cloud Witness for fast, economical deployment of a stretch cluster quorum witness. For more information, see Microsoft Windows Server 2016 Disaster Recovery Expertise.
Microsoft Windows Server 2012 Failover Clustering
Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 brought world-class fault tolerance and system recovery to Microsoft's failover clustering platform. Windows Server 2012 R2 adds to this technology and provides significant new and enhanced features that offer more extensibility, better disk storage availability for server applications, easier administration, faster failover, and more flexibility for architecting failover clusters. To learn more, see Windows Server 2012 R2 Failover Clustering Migration and Support.
VMware Site Recovery Manager (SRM) Disaster Recovery Solutions
VMware's Site Recovery Manager is a component of VMware vCenter that allows you to define, automate and verify a repeatable process for restoring services rapidly following an outage. SRM supports centrally controlled and automated recovery, application mobility, plus non-disruptive site relocation, failback and re-protect. SRM also enables non-disruptive testing for disaster recovery, updates and fixes and can produce audit reports to verify complete service restoration, validate Service Level Agreements and demonstrate DR compliance. Progent offers the support of a VCDX certified VMware Site Recovery Manager consulting expert to assist you to design, configure, test and maintain a disaster recovery system powered by VMware Site Recovery Manager.
NetApp MetroCluster Disaster Recovery Platform
NetApp MetroCluster is a disaster recovery software suite that combines failover storage clustering along with replication to deliver rapid, zero data loss disaster recovery (DR) between datacenters located up to 300km apart from each other. Progent can provide online or on-premises access to a certified NetApp MetroCluster consultant who can help your business to design, configure, manage, upgrade, test and repair a disaster recovery solution based on NetApp MetroCluster. Progent can assist you to choose an architecture for your MetroCluster environment that aligns with your technical requirements and budget. Progent can ensure you follow leading practices for installing your MetroCluster environment by delivering guidance with tasks such as assigning disk pools and shelf IDs, determining plexes layout, provisioning NetApp FlexVol volumes, setting up NetApp Snapshot, provisioning Cisco and Brocade switches, designing a tiebreaker mechanism, setting up a configuration replication network between your peered clusters, and testing your DR system to verify compliance with industry standards and regulatory mandates.
High Availability Load Balancing
Progent provides fault tolerant load balancing consulting that addresses system load balancing, load balanced applications, network infrastructure routing, and content dispatching technology such as Cisco Content Engine. Non-stop load balancing solutions for which Progent can provide consulting services include Microsoft Windows Server 2003 and 2008 Network Load Balancing Manager, Citrix Access Suite and Access Gateway, Cisco Content Services Switch, Cisco Content Engine and ACNS, and F5 Networks 3-DNS. To read more, see High Availability Load Balancing.
Non-stop Internet Data Centers
Progent's Data Center engineers can show you how to select high availability data centers that match the specific needs of your company. Fault tolerant Internet Data Centers are particularly appealing to small and mid-size organizations because of their affordability and simplified logistics compared to pursuing a do-it-yourself strategy. Trying to build an on-site data center with even a minimum degree of fault tolerance is too costly for most small businesses. Progent can show you how to reap all the advantages of non-stop data centers by providing a complete array of engineering and maintenance services. For more information, see Fault Tolerant Data Centers Solutions.
Failsafe Branch Office Networking
Progentís multi-site connection engineers can help organizations achieve fault tolerant inter-site connectivity through fully redundant networks with automatic failover. Progentís Cisco-certified CCIE engineers can plan and deploy ultra-reliable Inter-office networks supported by zero-downtime EIGRP routers or zero-downtime OSPF deployment of Cisco routers. Progent can demonstrate how multi-path connectivity and transparent fail-over can provide affordable 24x7 interoffice networking. To read more, see Non-stop Interoffice Networking.
High Availability Internet Access
Progent's Cisco-certified network professionals can show you how to build an affordable, fault tolerant Internet configuration architecture that can achieve 24x7 Internet access via a broad range of high availability Internet network technologies including non-stop BGP, transparent fail-over, and redundant ISPs. Progent offers CCIE professionals to show you how to apply the latest technology for 24x7 Internet connections to implement an affordable, fully redundant Internet interface with automatic failover and other capabilities to create non-stop Internet access. To read more, see Fault Tolerant Internet Access Solutions.
Backup and Restore Technology Consulting Services
Progent can provide economical remote support from engineers skilled in a wide array of products and technologies that provide solutions for backing up Microsoft Windows, Apple Mac, and Linux servers and desktops plus notebooks and handhelds. Progent can provide expertise for all major data protection products such as Acronis Backup and Recovery, Symantec Backup Exec, BackupAssist Software, HP Data Protector, Double-Take Backup, Mozy, Retrospect for Macintosh, Time Machine, VMware vSphere Data Protection (VDP), and Oracle Solaris FLARs. Progent's consultants can assist your company to deploy, upgrade, or maintain data backup systems for a variety of environments such as local, edge to datacenter, cloud, or hybrid. For details, go to Backup and Recovery Solutions Consulting.
Microsoft System Center Data Protection Manager Backup and Recovery Consulting Services
Progent's expert Microsoft System Center Data Protection Manager engineers can assist you to develop an effective disaster recovery strategy, implement a cost-effective fault-tolerante IT architecture, install a Microsoft SCDPM-based backup and restore system, comprehensively test your DPM system, train your IT staff or local service providers how to manage System Center Data Protection Manager, or provide complete information technology support outsourcing including off-site housing of SCDPM servers in Progent's secure data center. To read more, go to Microsoft System Center Data Protection Manager Expertise.
Altaro VM Backup Software for Data Protection and Disaster Recovery
Altaro VM Backup software offers small and mid-size organizations a reliable and affordable platform for backing up and restoring Hyper-V and VMware-based virtual machines (VMs). Altaro VM Backup can be used for on-premises, remote, multi-site, and cloud-hosted architectures and also supports cost-effective backup to Azure Block Blob storage. Headline capabilities include state-of-the-art Augmented Inline Deduplication to reduce backup storage requirements, Continuous Data Protection with backup intervals as short as five minutes for reducing your Recovery Point Objective (RPO), military-grade encryption, item-level restore options for specific files and emails, support for Windows Server Cluster Shared Volumes and for vCenter for managing larger deployments, and support for Microsoft VSS technology to back up live virtual machines with zero downtime. Progent is a certified Altaro partner and offers a broad range of services to help you to plan, deploy, optimize and troubleshoot a backup and disaster recovery system based on Altaro VM Backup software. For more information, visit Altaro VM Backup Consulting Services.
Consulting Services Double-Take Solutions for Backup and Recovery
Double-Take publishes a family of products designed to provide small companies a variety of affordable alternatives for backing up and restoring business-critical workloads including Microsoft Exchange Server, Microsoft SQL Server, RIM Blackberry, and SharePoint. Progentís disaster recovery planning experts have extensive backgrounds integrating Double-Take technology into small business IT networks to create an advanced level of fault tolerance and disaster recovery capability at a budget-friendly price. For details, see Consulting for Double-Take Solutions for Backup.
CRISC-Certified IT Risk Mitigation
The Certified in Risk and Information Systems Control (CRISC) program was established by ISACA to verify a consultant's skills to design, deploy, and maintain information system control mechanisms to mitigate risk. Progent offers the expertise of a CRISC-certified engineer to help you to create and execute a business continuity plan based on leading practices identified by CRISC and geared to match your company's risk appetite, business goals, and IT budget. For more information, go to CRISC-Certified IT risk mitigation experts.
Why Pick Progent for Disaster Recovery/Business Continuity Planning Solutions?
Since Progent is a Microsoft Partner and offers high-level application expertise for a wide variety of small business software programs, Progent can help customers to arrive at efficient information technology solutions that substantially enhance the business value of your information system. As a Registered Partner with Cisco, Progent offers the support of certified engineers and specialists with expertise in architecting, configuring and supporting infrastructure solutions built on Cisco technology. The depth of Progent's IT experience and Progent's familiarity with the requirements of small and midsize businesses make Progent the ideal resource for creating and maintaining a cost-effective, fault-tolerant network.
How to Contact Progent's Experts for Business Continuity Solutions Help
In order to contact Progent about engineering expertise for business continuity planning, phone 1-800-993-9400 or go to Contact Progent.