Barracuda Backup: Cloud-integrated Backup and Disaster Recovery
Barracuda Backup is a low-cost, subscription-based backup and disaster recovery service for small and medium-size businesses. The Barracuda Backup solution can include a physical, purpose-built Barracuda appliance or a virtual, software-based appliance with similar functionality but which uses your own storage hardware. Barracuda Backup protects critical business data generated on-premises, at one or more remote sites, or in the cloud. For disaster preparedness, you can replicate data to the Barracuda Cloud, to Amazon Web Services (AWS), or to any private location you designate. A simple-to-operate and web-accessible management and reporting console makes it easy to administer and monitor all backup, replication, retention and recovery processes in real time.
Key features of Barracuda Backup include:
Progent is a certified Barracuda partner and offers a wide array of consulting and management services to help you design, integrate, operate and troubleshoot a backup and disaster recovery solution built on Barracuda technology. Progent also offers ProSight Data Protection Services managed backup as an affordable turnkey service that allows you to outsource the management of your backup/recovery system. ProSight Data Protection Services incorporates cloud-based backup technology developed by Intronis, a company acquired by Barracuda. Progent's Hyper-V consulting experts and VMware consultants can assist your business to plan and configure virtual machine deployments that utilize any combination of local, remote and cloud-based resources. Progent can also provide advanced business continuity/disaster recovery (BCDR) planning consulting to help businesses of any size to recover quickly from cyber attacks such as ransomware or from other catastrophic events caused by natural or human-caused disasters, hardware breakdowns, or other reasons.
- LiveBoot and Cloud LiveBoot enable recovery Microsoft Hyper-V and VMware VMs in minutes, minimizing business disruption
- Cloud-to-Cloud Backup protects against data loss in Microsoft Office 365 and Exchange Online environments
- Offsite vaulting of historical revisions conserves local storage resources so they can be used for production applications
- In-line deduplication and data compression can cut storage requirements and network bandwidth usage in half
Capabilities of Barracuda Backup
Barracuda Backup offers small and mid-size organizations a full-featured data protection solution by providing advanced capabilities in the areas of backup, recovery and management. Barracuda Backup protects the most popular operating systems, the most widely used versions of Hyper-V and VMware, and cloud-hosted Microsoft applications. Mission-critical servers can be backed up as often as every 15 minutes to support a low Recovery Point Objective (RPO). Replication to offsite datacenters and to the cloud facilitate disaster recovery and offer deployment options to suit any SMB.
Mac OS X
Barracuda Backup works with popular operating systems, hypervisors and cloud-hosted applications
Secure Backup and Replication
Barracuda Backup utilizes a physical or virtual (software-based) onsite appliance that securely and automatically replicates data offsite. Local backup allows fast restores, and offsite replication supports disaster recovery.
Restore and Disaster Recovery
- Hardware-Encrypted Appliance: Barracuda Encrypted Backup is a service option that uses disk drives which can be read only when the drives are installed in the physical Barracuda appliance. In case the entire encrypted appliance is taken from a site, disk data can only be read after a power-on password is correctly entered. Native encryption technology is incorporated in the drives used in this option, which eliminates the dramatic performance loss associated with software-based encryption.
- Inline Deduplication and Compression: Barracuda Backup services using either physical or virtual appliances include Inline, block-level, source-based and target-based deduplication and compression. This results in a significant reduction in storage and bandwidth use and cuts the time it takes to complete backup and replication operations. Barracuda's variable block deduplication algorithms evaluate data type and chunk size in order to determine a block size that delivers the highest degree of deduplication. For businesses with multiple locations, Barracuda's advanced global deduplication and cloud storage technology offer significant savings in storage infrastructure without compromising data protection.
- Secure and Efficient Replication: Barracuda Backup offers a variety of low-cost options for copying business-critical data offsite to protect against local events that may disable your datacenter. You can use built-in WAN acceleration to replicate protected data to the Barracuda Cloud, to the Amazon Web Services (AWS) cloud, or to a Barracuda physical or virtual backup appliance located at any remote location. You can also export replicated data to external disk, tape, autoloaders, or robotic libraries. Wherever you choose to replicate your data, it will be transferred and stored using military-grade 256-bit AES encryption. Barracuda replication can use VMware Changed Block Tracking (CBT) and requires only a single agent for Windows systems and apps.
- Offsite Vaulting: To help businesses comply with internal or regulatory retention policies and to reduce the cost of storing archival backups, Barracuda Backup supports offsite vaulting. You can transfer on-premises copies of monthly and yearly backups from a local Barracuda appliance to the Barracuda Cloud or to a different Barracuda appliance.
- Cloud-to-Cloud Backup: To recover from data loss due to human error such as accidental deletions, Barracuda offers Cloud-to-Cloud Backup for Microsoft Office 365. This can protect Exchange Online mailboxes and OneDrive for Business files and folders.
Barracuda Backup supports a variety of recovery options for physical servers and virtual machines. You can restore data from a local Barracuda Backup appliance, from a remote Barracuda Backup appliance that has been used to replicate that system, or from Barracuda Cloud Storage.
Management and Reporting
- P2V Restores: You can restore physical server backups into a virtual environment (P2V restores) hosted by VMware vSphere or Microsoft Hyper-V.
- Bare Metal Recovery (BMR): Bare metal recovery lets you restore a complete Windows computer system, including data, settings, applications, and operating system, onto a new computer on which no software has been installed. BMR is useful for a variety of common restoration scenarios including replacing a lost notebook or provisioning a new one, refreshing a server's hardware, moving from a physical to a virtual server, migrating from a rotating disk to a solid-state drive, or recovering from a cyber attack that corrupted your operating system.
- LiveBoot: The LiveBoot feature allows instant recovery of VMware virtual guest machines. If your primary storage system fails, Barracuda Backup can operate as data storage for your VMware ESXi server. You can recover any revision of a guest VM based on your retention policy and immediately use files and applications in their deduplicated state stored within Barracuda Backup. You can also use LiveBoot for granular file-level recovery as well as for item-level recovery for supported applications including Exchange, Microsoft SQL, and SharePoint.
- Cloud LiveBoot: When you back up a Hyper-V or VMware virtual guest server and replicate to Barracuda Cloud Storage, you can boot the server in Barracuda's Cloud directly from the Barracuda Backup web interface with no additional configuration. You can recover any revision of a virtual guest server within your retention policy, boot virtual servers in the cloud to recover and traverse the file structure of virtual guest system data, and retrieve individual Active Directory (AD) objects. For testing purposes, you can boot the virtual guest system to confirm data integrity or to set up a sandbox for trying out new or updated applications without risk to your production environment.
- Granular Recovery: From the Barracuda Backup web interface you can recover an entire share, a file, a file system directory, a mailbox, mailbox folders, or individual messages. You can restore data to its original location or to any other networked computer where the Barracuda Backup Agent is installed.
- Retention Policies: Barracuda Backup retention policies allow you to keep historic data based on daily, weekly, monthly, or yearly time intervals. You can create Barracuda Backup retention policies for different sets of data including VMs, email messages, and data backed up by the Barracuda Backup Agent including Exchange, SQL, Hyper-V, and System State. This flexibility allows you to comply with regulatory or litigation requirements and fine tune data protection and disaster recovery plans.
- Microsoft Exchange Support: Barracuda Backup automatically creates a recovery mailbox database for Microsoft Exchange Server 2013 and higher. You can restore individual Exchange Mailbox folders, such as the Inbox, as well as Contacts, Calendars, and Notes. You can also use Barracuda Backup's web interface to view, search, and restore individual Microsoft Exchange messages. You can view all of the messages within an individual mailbox and you can perform a string search across multiple mailboxes.
- VMware CBT Restores: VMware Changed Block Tracking (CBT) is used to perform incremental backups on VMware ESX/ESXi VMs. CBT identifies and tracks block changes that occurred after the most recent backup and logs these changes. This significantly lowers the number and duration of backup windows and improves the speed and efficiency of subsequent replication.
The Barracuda Appliance web interface is a modern, easy-to-use tool for configuring, monitoring and administering your Barracuda Backup solution from a centralized and web-accessible utility. A similar Cloud-to-Cloud Backup tool is also available. Both tools feature six tabs that open pages with a rich set of management capabilities.
Barracuda's web-based management tool simplifies the protection of local, multi-site, or cloud-based data
Barracuda Backup Physical and Virtual Appliances
- Dashboard: Provides a panoramic view of all devices on the subscriber's Barracuda Backup account. This section uses interactive graphs and tables to describe a wealth of information including the performance and health of local and offsite backups, agents, and data sources. Other information includes offsite transfer remaining, offsite transfer efficiency, storage efficiency, backup reports, storage allocation, current tasks, storage and transfer history, and Barracuda subscription information.
- Backup: Controls data sources and manages how data is backed up locally and replicated offsite. This section allows you to control replication from Barracuda appliances for disaster recovery, granular backup scheduling, directory and file exclusions, rate limits, and retention policies.
- Restore: Allows you to restore data from a local Barracuda physical or virtual appliance, replicated data from a remote appliance, or data from Barracuda Cloud Storage. The Restore Browser page lets you recover a range items that include Microsoft Hyper-V and VMware servers, Exchange Server, SQL Server databases, Active Directory objects, SharePoint objects, and Windows System State. The Restore Browser page also gives you access to LiveBoot, Cloud LiveBoot, and P2V restores. You can use the LiveBrowse feature to view and traverse file structures inside backed up Hyper-V and VMware VMDK, VHD, and VHDX files and you can download files and directories from Hyper-V and VMware snapshots.
- Reports: Allows you to view detailed reports on backups, restores, and large items, plus an audit log of all activities. The Backup Report includes a report detailing every backup that has been performed or is currently running. The tabular and sortable Restore Report provides details for a specified range of restore operations and includes any errors encountered and a list of restored content. The Large Items Report lists large files and includes the source and path of the data plus the size of the file before and after deduplication. The Audit Log Report shows all logged activities in the Barracuda Backup web interface for specified users and time periods.
- System: Allows you to manage firmware version and settings for Barracuda Backup and to download software tools to use with Barracuda Backup.
- Admin: Allows you to configure email notifications, authentication, and permissions for users, add and delete display groups to manage multiple Barracuda Backup appliances, activate an appliance, and add and configure your Amazon Web Services (AWS) Account to Barracuda Backup (this requires an AWS Replication subscription).
Barracuda Backup services can be deployed with any mix of physical Barracuda appliances, software-based virtual appliances that utilize your own compute and storage infrastructure (called Barracuda Backup Vx), or Cloud-to-Cloud backup. Barracuda's purpose-built physical appliances can include internal encryption technology and range from desktop devices with 1 TB of storage to rackmount 4 U hot-swappable arrays with capacities of up to 112 TB. Physical appliances incorporate Barracuda's software, storage and replication technology and, as part of the subscription service, require no up-front capital investment. Subscribers receive a free hardware refresh to the latest physical appliance model every four years. Advantages of a Barracuda physical appliance over a software-based virtual appliance include simplicity of integration and management plus reduced loading on production servers while performing CPU-intensive activities such as hashing blocks during deduplication, compression for offsite replication, and rehydration of data during restoration.
You can use Barracuda's physical or virtual appliances for local and off-site backup, replication and disaster recovery
Barracuda Backup Deduplication
Deduplication is a data compression technique that plays a critical role in any modern backup and recovery solution. Deduplication works by comparing incoming data blocks with backup data that has already been stored. Deduplication algorithms remove redundant incoming data blocks and substitute a concise reference to the data already stored. Barracuda Backup Agents (BBAs) deduplicate and compress local data, including Hyper-V VHD files, on the client-side host server before transmitting the deduplicated data to the physical or virtual Barracuda Backup appliance. By preventing redundant data from being sent to the Barracuda Backup appliance for processing, so-called source-based dedpulication reduces LAN network traffic and significantly shortens the backup window.
The Barracuda Backup Agent (BBA) deduplicates data at the source system to conserve LAN bandwidth
To backup VMware virtual disks, Barracuda Backup takes advantage of VMware's VADP technology, using Changed Block Tracking to avoid sending redundant data chunks to Barracuda Backup appliances.
How Progent Can Help You with Barracuda Backup
Progent's Microsoft-certified Hyper-V consultants and VMware-certified vSphere and vCenter experts can assist your business to design, install and manage a data backup and disaster recovery solution powered by Barracuda Backup. Progent's Exchange consultants can help you use Barracuda Backup to protect your Exchange Server deployment, and Progent's Amazon AWS hybrid cloud consulting experts can help you set up your AWS account to replicate and restore critical data. Progent's Disaster Recovery consultants can show you how Barracuda Backup's offsite and cloud replication capability can protect your vital business data and get you up and running fast in the event of a natural or human-made disaster, a ransomware attack, or any other catastrophic event. Progent's GIAC-certified information assurance consultants can evaluate the security and compliance of your backup ecosystem and can help you leverage affordable tools and smart processes and policies to survive in today's increasingly dangerous IT environment.
Additional Zero-Downtime Technologies Offered by Progent's Consultants
Progent's Microsoft and Cisco consulting experts can assist you to design a sensible, non-stop system that addresses key challenges encompassing a broad range of infrastructure technologies and operations such as:
Business Continuity Planning
Progent's business continuity professionals can show you how to design a workplace recovery plan that will allow you to resume IT operations in case of an information network catastrophe. Progent can assist you to define a complete disaster recovery strategy that includes periodic disaster recovery evaluations and testing. Progent's Microsoft and Cisco-certified engineers can also show you how to create an affordable, fault-tolerant network architecture that takes into account reliability issues involving a broad array of infrastructure technologies and procedures. For details, visit Disaster Recovery Consulting.
Fully Managed Cloud Backup: ProSight Data Protection Services
ProSight Data Protection Services offer small and mid-sized businesses an affordable and fully managed service for reliable backup/disaster recovery (BDR). For a low monthly price, ProSight Data Protection Services automates your backup processes and enables fast restoration of critical files, applications and VMs that have become lost or damaged as a result of hardware breakdowns, software bugs, disasters, human mistakes, or malicious attacks such as ransomware. ProSight Data Protection Services can help you protect, retrieve and restore files, folders, apps, system images, plus Hyper-V and VMware virtual machine images. Critical data can be protected on the cloud, to an on-promises storage device, or mirrored to both. Progent's BDR consultants can deliver world-class expertise to configure ProSight DPS to be compliant with government and industry regulatory requirements such as HIPAA, FIRPA, PCI and Safe Harbor and, whenever necessary, can help you to restore your business-critical data. Find out more about ProSight DPS Managed Backup and Recovery.
Windows Server 2016 Disaster Recovery and Business Continuity
Progent's Windows Server 2016 disaster recovery experts can help your organization to plan and deploy a disaster recovery solution based on Microsoft's latest Failover Clustering technologies such as Cluster Operating System Rolling Upgrade for non-intrusive migration to Windows Server 2016, Storage Replica for crash-consistent Recovery Point Objective (RPO), Storage Spaces Direct for enterprise-class storage clusters using industry-standard hardware, VM Load Balancing for enhancing the performance and resilience of Failover Clusters while minimizing TCO and operational expenses, and Cloud Witness for easy, economical creation of a stretch cluster quorum witness. For details, go to Microsoft Server 2016 Disaster Recovery and Business Continuity Consulting.
Microsoft Server 2012 Failover Clustering
Windows Server 2008 R2 brought world-class fault tolerance and recoverability to Microsoft's failover clustering platform. Windows Server 2012 R2 adds to this technology and delivers important enhancements offering increased expandability, non-stop storage uptime for server applications, simpler management, faster automatic failover, and additional flexibility for architecting failover clusters. For more information, see Windows Server 2012 Clustering Migration and Support.
VMware Site Recovery Manager (SRM) Disaster Recovery Solutions
VMware's Site Recovery Manager (SRM) is an extension to VMware vCenter that lets you specify, automate and test a consistent process for recovering applications and services quickly following an outage. SRM provides centrally controlled and automated disaster recovery, application mobility, and non-intrusive site relocation, failback and site re-protect. Site Recovery Manager also supports non-intrusive testing for disaster recovery, updates and fixes and can produce reports to verify complete service restoration, validate SLAs and demonstrate compliance. Progent offers the support of a VCDX certified VMware Site Recovery Manager consulting expert to help you to design, deploy, test and manage a disaster recovery solution powered by VMware Site Recovery Manager.
NetApp MetroCluster High Availability and Disaster Recovery Software
NetApp MetroCluster is a disaster recovery platform that uses failover storage clustering with replication to deliver rapid, zero RPO disaster recovery (DR) between sites that are up to 185 miles apart. Progent offers online or on-premises access to a NetApp MetroCluster expert who can assist your business to plan, configure, administer, update, test and repair a disaster recovery system built around NetApp MetroCluster. Progent can assist you to select an architecture for your MetroCluster deployment that meets your functional needs and budget. Progent can make sure you follow leading practices for installing your MetroCluster environment by providing help with procedures such as assigning shelf IDs, determining aggregate layout, setting up FlexVol volumes, setting up Data ONTAP configuration replication service, provisioning Cisco and Brocade switches, designing a tiebreaker, designing a configuration replication network between your peered clusters, and testing your DR system to show compliance with industry standards and government mandates.
Network Load Balancing
Progent provides fault tolerant load balancing consulting that addresses network load balancing, load balanced programs, LAN/WAN infrastructure routing, and content delivery technology including Cisco Content Engine. Fault tolerant load balancing products for which Progent can provide consulting expertise include Windows 2003 and 2008 Server Network Load Balancing Manager, Citrix Metaframe and Access Gateway, Cisco Content Services Switch, Cisco Content Engine and Cisco CDN Software, and F5 Networks BIG-IP. For more information, go to Fault Tolerant Load Balancing.
Progent's Data Center engineers can show you how to identify fault-tolerant data centers that meet the particular needs of your company. Fault tolerant colocation sites are especially attractive to small and mid-size organizations due to of their affordability and simplified logistics compared to pursuing a do-it-yourself approach. Trying to create an in-house data center that offers even a basic level of fault tolerance is financially prohibitive for the majority of small businesses. Progent is ready to show you how to reap all the benefits of non-stop colo sites by offering a full range of consulting and support services. For more information, visit Fault Tolerant Data Centers Solutions.
Fault Tolerant Interoffice Connectivity
Progentís interoffice network infrastructure engineers can help companies create zero-downtime multi-site connectivity via redundant system architectures with automatic failover. Progentís Cisco-certified CCIE network engineers can design and deploy high-availability Inter-office connections supported by non-stop EIGRP routers or fault tolerant OSPF configurations of Cisco routers. Progent can demonstrate how multi-path connectivity and automatic fail-over offers economical 24x7 interoffice connectivity. For more information, visit Fault Tolerant Inter-office Networking.
High Availability Internet Connections
Progent's Cisco-certified network professionals can show you how to design an economical, high availability Internet configuration architecture that can deliver 24x7 Internet access through a broad range of high availability Internet access solutions including non-stop BGP, transparent fail-over, and multiple ISPs. Progent can provide CCIE professionals to show you how to utilize the most up-to-date technology for high availability Internet connectivity to build an economical, fully redundant Internet network with automatic failover and other capabilities to deliver zero-downtime Internet access. To read more, visit 24x7 Internet Connectivity Solutions.
Backup and Recovery Solutions Consultants
Progent can provide economical online support from engineers skilled in a wide range of products and services that provide solutions for backing up Microsoft Windows, Mac, and Linux physical and virtual servers and workstations as well as laptops and smartphones. Progent offers help for all major data protection products including Acronis Backup and Recovery, Symantec Backup Exec, BackupAssist, HP Data Protector, Double-Take Backup, MozyPro, Retrospect for Macintosh, Time Machine, VMware vSphere Data Protection (VDP), and Solaris FLARs. Progent's consultants can assist your company to deploy, enhance, or maintain data backup solutions for a variety of environments such as local, remote, cloud-based, or a mix. To learn more, visit Backup and Restore Solutions Expertise.
Microsoft System Center Data Protection Manager Data Recovery Consulting Experts
Progent's certified System Center Data Protection Manager (SCDPM) support professionals can assist you to create a practical business continuity plan, implement a cost-effective high-availability IT infrastructure, install a System Center Data Protection Manager-powered backup and restore solution, thoroughly test your system, educate your administrative staff or local consultants how to maintain System Center Data Protection Manager, or provide extensive IT outsourcing such as remote hosting of virtual or physical SCDPM machines in Progent's data center facility. To learn more, see System Center Data Protection Manager Expertise.
Altaro VM Backup Solutions for Data Protection and Disaster Recovery
Altaro VM Backup provides small and mid-size businesses a reliable and budget-friendly platform for backing up and restoring Hyper-V and VMware-based virtual machines (VMs). Altaro VM Backup can be deployed in on-premises, offsite, distributed, and cloud-hosted architectures and also supports cost-effective backup to Microsoft Azure storage. Top features include industry-leading inline deduplication to cut backup storage needs, Continuous Data Protection with backup intervals as little as five minutes for reducing your exposure to data loss, advanced encryption, granular recovery capability for individual files and emails, support for Windows Server Cluster Shared Volumes and vCenter for handling larger environments, and the ability to leverage Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) to back up online VMs without downtime. Progent is an Altaro partner and can provide a wide range of consulting services to help you to plan, install, optimize and troubleshoot a backup and disaster recovery system based on Altaro VM Backup software. For more information, go to Altaro VM Backup Consulting.
Consulting Services Double-Take Software for Data Backup and Recovery
Double-Take offers a selection of tools designed to provide small and midsize companies a range of affordable solutions for backing up and restoring business-critical workloads such as Exchange Server, SQL, RIM Blackberry, and SharePoint. Progentís disaster recovery planning experts have in-depth backgrounds integrating Double-Take Software technology into small company IT networks to create a high state of availability and business continuity capability at a budget-friendly price. For details, see Consulting for Double-Take Software for Data Backup.
CRISC-Certified IT Risk Control
The Certified in Risk and Information Systems Control (CRISC) program was established by ISACA in 2010 to validate an IT professional's ability to plan, implement, and maintain information system control mechanisms to mitigate risk. Progent offers the expertise of a CRISC-certified consultant to help your company to develop and carry out a business continuity plan that follows leading practices identified by CRISC and crafted to align with your company's risk tolerance, business goals, and IT budget. To learn more, visit CRISC-Premier IT risk management experts.
Why Pick Progent for Disaster Recovery/Business Continuity Planning?
Since Progent is a Microsoft Partner and offers specialized application consulting for a wide variety of business applications, Progent can assist clients to arrive at complete information technology solutions that optimize the business value of your information system. As a Registered Partner with Cisco, Progent offers the expertise of premier engineers and specialists with experience in architecting, configuring and supporting infrastructure environments built on Cisco technology. The breadth of Progent's technical know-how and Progent's sensitivity to the requirements of small and midsize companies make Progent the perfect partner for building and running a cost-effective, fault-tolerant information system.
How You Can Contact Progent's Engineers for Disaster Recovery Planning Support
If you wish to get in touch with Progent about consulting assistance for business continuity planning, phone 1-800-993-9400 or go to Contact Progent.