Barracuda Backup: Cloud-integrated Backup and Disaster Recovery
Barracuda Backup is a low-cost, subscription-based backup and disaster recovery service for small and medium-size businesses. The Barracuda Backup solution can include a physical, purpose-built Barracuda appliance or a virtual, software-based appliance with similar functionality but which uses your own storage hardware. Barracuda Backup protects critical business data generated on-premises, at one or more remote sites, or in the cloud. For disaster preparedness, you can replicate data to the Barracuda Cloud, to Amazon Web Services (AWS), or to any private location you designate. A simple-to-operate and web-accessible management and reporting console makes it easy to administer and monitor all backup, replication, retention and recovery processes in real time.
Key features of Barracuda Backup include:
Progent is a certified Barracuda partner and offers a wide array of consulting and management services to help you design, integrate, operate and troubleshoot a backup and disaster recovery solution built on Barracuda technology. Progent also offers ProSight Data Protection Services managed backup as an affordable turnkey service that allows you to outsource the management of your backup/recovery system. ProSight Data Protection Services incorporates cloud-based backup technology developed by Intronis, a company acquired by Barracuda. Progent's Hyper-V consulting experts and VMware consultants can assist your business to plan and configure virtual machine deployments that utilize any combination of local, remote and cloud-based resources. Progent can also provide advanced business continuity/disaster recovery (BCDR) planning consulting to help businesses of any size to recover quickly from cyber attacks such as ransomware or from other catastrophic events caused by natural or human-caused disasters, hardware breakdowns, or other reasons.
- LiveBoot and Cloud LiveBoot enable recovery Microsoft Hyper-V and VMware VMs in minutes, minimizing business disruption
- Cloud-to-Cloud Backup protects against data loss in Microsoft Office 365 and Exchange Online environments
- Offsite vaulting of historical revisions conserves local storage resources so they can be used for production applications
- In-line deduplication and data compression can cut storage requirements and network bandwidth usage in half
Capabilities of Barracuda Backup
Barracuda Backup offers small and mid-size organizations a full-featured data protection solution by providing advanced capabilities in the areas of backup, recovery and management. Barracuda Backup protects the most popular operating systems, the most widely used versions of Hyper-V and VMware, and cloud-hosted Microsoft applications. Mission-critical servers can be backed up as often as every 15 minutes to support a low Recovery Point Objective (RPO). Replication to offsite datacenters and to the cloud facilitate disaster recovery and offer deployment options to suit any SMB.
Mac OS X
Barracuda Backup works with popular operating systems, hypervisors and cloud-hosted applications
Secure Backup and Replication
Barracuda Backup utilizes a physical or virtual (software-based) onsite appliance that securely and automatically replicates data offsite. Local backup allows fast restores, and offsite replication supports disaster recovery.
Restore and Disaster Recovery
- Hardware-Encrypted Appliance: Barracuda Encrypted Backup is a service option that uses disk drives which can be read only when the drives are installed in the physical Barracuda appliance. In case the entire encrypted appliance is taken from a site, disk data can only be read after a power-on password is correctly entered. Native encryption technology is incorporated in the drives used in this option, which eliminates the dramatic performance loss associated with software-based encryption.
- Inline Deduplication and Compression: Barracuda Backup services using either physical or virtual appliances include Inline, block-level, source-based and target-based deduplication and compression. This results in a significant reduction in storage and bandwidth use and cuts the time it takes to complete backup and replication operations. Barracuda's variable block deduplication algorithms evaluate data type and chunk size in order to determine a block size that delivers the highest degree of deduplication. For businesses with multiple locations, Barracuda's advanced global deduplication and cloud storage technology offer significant savings in storage infrastructure without compromising data protection.
- Secure and Efficient Replication: Barracuda Backup offers a variety of low-cost options for copying business-critical data offsite to protect against local events that may disable your datacenter. You can use built-in WAN acceleration to replicate protected data to the Barracuda Cloud, to the Amazon Web Services (AWS) cloud, or to a Barracuda physical or virtual backup appliance located at any remote location. You can also export replicated data to external disk, tape, autoloaders, or robotic libraries. Wherever you choose to replicate your data, it will be transferred and stored using military-grade 256-bit AES encryption. Barracuda replication can use VMware Changed Block Tracking (CBT) and requires only a single agent for Windows systems and apps.
- Offsite Vaulting: To help businesses comply with internal or regulatory retention policies and to reduce the cost of storing archival backups, Barracuda Backup supports offsite vaulting. You can transfer on-premises copies of monthly and yearly backups from a local Barracuda appliance to the Barracuda Cloud or to a different Barracuda appliance.
- Cloud-to-Cloud Backup: To recover from data loss due to human error such as accidental deletions, Barracuda offers Cloud-to-Cloud Backup for Microsoft Office 365. This can protect Exchange Online mailboxes and OneDrive for Business files and folders.
Barracuda Backup supports a variety of recovery options for physical servers and virtual machines. You can restore data from a local Barracuda Backup appliance, from a remote Barracuda Backup appliance that has been used to replicate that system, or from Barracuda Cloud Storage.
Management and Reporting
- P2V Restores: You can restore physical server backups into a virtual environment (P2V restores) hosted by VMware vSphere or Microsoft Hyper-V.
- Bare Metal Recovery (BMR): Bare metal recovery lets you restore a complete Windows computer system, including data, settings, applications, and operating system, onto a new computer on which no software has been installed. BMR is useful for a variety of common restoration scenarios including replacing a lost notebook or provisioning a new one, refreshing a server's hardware, moving from a physical to a virtual server, migrating from a rotating disk to a solid-state drive, or recovering from a cyber attack that corrupted your operating system.
- LiveBoot: The LiveBoot feature allows instant recovery of VMware virtual guest machines. If your primary storage system fails, Barracuda Backup can operate as data storage for your VMware ESXi server. You can recover any revision of a guest VM based on your retention policy and immediately use files and applications in their deduplicated state stored within Barracuda Backup. You can also use LiveBoot for granular file-level recovery as well as for item-level recovery for supported applications including Exchange, Microsoft SQL, and SharePoint.
- Cloud LiveBoot: When you back up a Hyper-V or VMware virtual guest server and replicate to Barracuda Cloud Storage, you can boot the server in Barracuda's Cloud directly from the Barracuda Backup web interface with no additional configuration. You can recover any revision of a virtual guest server within your retention policy, boot virtual servers in the cloud to recover and traverse the file structure of virtual guest system data, and retrieve individual Active Directory (AD) objects. For testing purposes, you can boot the virtual guest system to confirm data integrity or to set up a sandbox for trying out new or updated applications without risk to your production environment.
- Granular Recovery: From the Barracuda Backup web interface you can recover an entire share, a file, a file system directory, a mailbox, mailbox folders, or individual messages. You can restore data to its original location or to any other networked computer where the Barracuda Backup Agent is installed.
- Retention Policies: Barracuda Backup retention policies allow you to keep historic data based on daily, weekly, monthly, or yearly time intervals. You can create Barracuda Backup retention policies for different sets of data including VMs, email messages, and data backed up by the Barracuda Backup Agent including Exchange, SQL, Hyper-V, and System State. This flexibility allows you to comply with regulatory or litigation requirements and fine tune data protection and disaster recovery plans.
- Microsoft Exchange Support: Barracuda Backup automatically creates a recovery mailbox database for Microsoft Exchange Server 2013 and higher. You can restore individual Exchange Mailbox folders, such as the Inbox, as well as Contacts, Calendars, and Notes. You can also use Barracuda Backup's web interface to view, search, and restore individual Microsoft Exchange messages. You can view all of the messages within an individual mailbox and you can perform a string search across multiple mailboxes.
- VMware CBT Restores: VMware Changed Block Tracking (CBT) is used to perform incremental backups on VMware ESX/ESXi VMs. CBT identifies and tracks block changes that occurred after the most recent backup and logs these changes. This significantly lowers the number and duration of backup windows and improves the speed and efficiency of subsequent replication.
The Barracuda Appliance web interface is a modern, easy-to-use tool for configuring, monitoring and administering your Barracuda Backup solution from a centralized and web-accessible utility. A similar Cloud-to-Cloud Backup tool is also available. Both tools feature six tabs that open pages with a rich set of management capabilities.
Barracuda's web-based management tool simplifies the protection of local, multi-site, or cloud-based data
Barracuda Backup Physical and Virtual Appliances
- Dashboard: Provides a panoramic view of all devices on the subscriber's Barracuda Backup account. This section uses interactive graphs and tables to describe a wealth of information including the performance and health of local and offsite backups, agents, and data sources. Other information includes offsite transfer remaining, offsite transfer efficiency, storage efficiency, backup reports, storage allocation, current tasks, storage and transfer history, and Barracuda subscription information.
- Backup: Controls data sources and manages how data is backed up locally and replicated offsite. This section allows you to control replication from Barracuda appliances for disaster recovery, granular backup scheduling, directory and file exclusions, rate limits, and retention policies.
- Restore: Allows you to restore data from a local Barracuda physical or virtual appliance, replicated data from a remote appliance, or data from Barracuda Cloud Storage. The Restore Browser page lets you recover a range items that include Microsoft Hyper-V and VMware servers, Exchange Server, SQL Server databases, Active Directory objects, SharePoint objects, and Windows System State. The Restore Browser page also gives you access to LiveBoot, Cloud LiveBoot, and P2V restores. You can use the LiveBrowse feature to view and traverse file structures inside backed up Hyper-V and VMware VMDK, VHD, and VHDX files and you can download files and directories from Hyper-V and VMware snapshots.
- Reports: Allows you to view detailed reports on backups, restores, and large items, plus an audit log of all activities. The Backup Report includes a report detailing every backup that has been performed or is currently running. The tabular and sortable Restore Report provides details for a specified range of restore operations and includes any errors encountered and a list of restored content. The Large Items Report lists large files and includes the source and path of the data plus the size of the file before and after deduplication. The Audit Log Report shows all logged activities in the Barracuda Backup web interface for specified users and time periods.
- System: Allows you to manage firmware version and settings for Barracuda Backup and to download software tools to use with Barracuda Backup.
- Admin: Allows you to configure email notifications, authentication, and permissions for users, add and delete display groups to manage multiple Barracuda Backup appliances, activate an appliance, and add and configure your Amazon Web Services (AWS) Account to Barracuda Backup (this requires an AWS Replication subscription).
Barracuda Backup services can be deployed with any mix of physical Barracuda appliances, software-based virtual appliances that utilize your own compute and storage infrastructure (called Barracuda Backup Vx), or Cloud-to-Cloud backup. Barracuda's purpose-built physical appliances can include internal encryption technology and range from desktop devices with 1 TB of storage to rackmount 4 U hot-swappable arrays with capacities of up to 112 TB. Physical appliances incorporate Barracuda's software, storage and replication technology and, as part of the subscription service, require no up-front capital investment. Subscribers receive a free hardware refresh to the latest physical appliance model every four years. Advantages of a Barracuda physical appliance over a software-based virtual appliance include simplicity of integration and management plus reduced loading on production servers while performing CPU-intensive activities such as hashing blocks during deduplication, compression for offsite replication, and rehydration of data during restoration.
You can use Barracuda's physical or virtual appliances for local and off-site backup, replication and disaster recovery
Barracuda Backup Deduplication
Deduplication is a data compression technique that plays a critical role in any modern backup and recovery solution. Deduplication works by comparing incoming data blocks with backup data that has already been stored. Deduplication algorithms remove redundant incoming data blocks and substitute a concise reference to the data already stored. Barracuda Backup Agents (BBAs) deduplicate and compress local data, including Hyper-V VHD files, on the client-side host server before transmitting the deduplicated data to the physical or virtual Barracuda Backup appliance. By preventing redundant data from being sent to the Barracuda Backup appliance for processing, so-called source-based dedpulication reduces LAN network traffic and significantly shortens the backup window.
The Barracuda Backup Agent (BBA) deduplicates data at the source system to conserve LAN bandwidth
To backup VMware virtual disks, Barracuda Backup takes advantage of VMware's VADP technology, using Changed Block Tracking to avoid sending redundant data chunks to Barracuda Backup appliances.
How Progent Can Help You with Barracuda Backup
Progent's Microsoft-certified Hyper-V consultants and VMware-certified vSphere and vCenter experts can assist your business to design, install and manage a data backup and disaster recovery solution powered by Barracuda Backup. Progent's Exchange consultants can help you use Barracuda Backup to protect your Exchange Server deployment, and Progent's Amazon AWS hybrid cloud consulting experts can help you set up your AWS account to replicate and restore critical data. Progent's Disaster Recovery consultants can show you how Barracuda Backup's offsite and cloud replication capability can protect your vital business data and get you up and running fast in the event of a natural or human-made disaster, a ransomware attack, or any other catastrophic event. Progent's GIAC-certified information assurance consultants can evaluate the security and compliance of your backup ecosystem and can help you leverage affordable tools and smart processes and policies to survive in today's increasingly dangerous IT environment.
Other Non-stop Solutions Provided by Progent's Experts
Progent's certified consulting experts can help your company to design an affordable, non-stop network that resolves key challenges covering a wide range of networking technologies and processes such as:
Workplace Recovery Planning
Progent's business continuity planning engineers can help you create a disaster recovery plan in order to restore network functionality in case of an IT network disaster. Progent can assist you to develop a complete disaster recovery strategy that incorporates scheduled disaster recovery evaluations and drills. Progent's Microsoft and Cisco-certified consultants can also help you build an affordable, fault-tolerant network architecture that addresses availability issues involving a wide range of network technologies and processes. To read more, visit Workplace Recovery Consulting Services.
Managed Cloud Backup: ProSight Data Protection Services
ProSight Data Protection Services provide small and medium-sized businesses an affordable and fully managed solution for secure backup/disaster recovery. For a low monthly cost, ProSight DPS automates and monitors your backup activities and enables fast recovery of critical data, applications and virtual machines that have become unavailable or corrupted as a result of hardware breakdowns, software glitches, disasters, human mistakes, or malware attacks such as ransomware. ProSight DPS can help you protect, recover and restore files, folders, applications, system images, plus Microsoft Hyper-V and VMware images/. Important data can be backed up on the cloud, to an on-promises device, or to both. Progent's BDR specialists can deliver world-class expertise to configure ProSight DPS to to comply with government and industry regulatory requirements such as HIPAA, FIRPA, and PCI and, when necessary, can help you to restore your business-critical information. Read more about ProSight DPS Managed Backup and Recovery.
Microsoft Windows Server 2016 Disaster Recovery
Progent's Windows Server 2016 disaster recovery experts can assist your organization to design a DR solution based on Microsoft's cloud-tested Failover Clustering tools including Cluster Operating System Rolling Upgrade for non-intrusive migration to Windows Server 2016, Storage Replica for zero-data-loss Recovery Point Objective (RPO), Storage Spaces Direct for enterprise-class network-attached storage using industry-standard equipment, Virtual Machine Load Balancing for improving the speed and resilience of Failover Clusters while reducing TCO and management overhead, and Cloud Witness for fast, affordable creation of a failover cluster quorum arbitration point. To learn more, go to Windows Server 2016 Disaster Recovery Support.
Windows Server 2012 Failover Clustering
Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 introduced enterprise-class availability and system recovery to Microsoft's clustering platform. Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2 adds to this technology and delivers significant new and enhanced features offering more scalability, non-stop storage uptime for server applications, simpler administration, quicker automatic failover, and additional flexibility for designing clusters. To learn more, go to Windows Server 2012 Clustering Consulting and Support.
VMware Site Recovery Manager (SRM) Disaster Recovery Solutions
VMware's Site Recovery Manager is an extension to VMware vCenter that allows you to specify, automate and test a repeatable workflow for restoring services quickly after an outage. SRM provides centrally controlled and automated recovery, application mobility, plus non-disruptive site relocation, failback and re-protect. Site Recovery Manager also enables transparent testing for disaster recovery, updates and fixes and can generate reports to verify complete service restoration, validate Service Level Agreements and demonstrate disaster recovery compliance. Progent offers the skills of a VCDX certified VMware SRM consulting expert to assist your organization to design, configure, test and maintain a disaster recovery solution powered by VMware SRM.
NetApp MetroCluster Disaster Recovery Platform
NetApp MetroCluster is a disaster recovery platform that uses array-based storage clustering with synchronous replication to deliver fast, zero data loss disaster recovery between sites located up to 185 miles (300km) apart. Progent offers the skills of a certified NetApp MetroCluster expert who can assist you to plan, configure, administer, update, test and troubleshoot a disaster recovery system built around NetApp MetroCluster. Progent can assist you to select a topology for your MetroCluster environment that meets your technical requirements and budget. Progent can make sure you follow leading practices for installing your MetroCluster solution by providing guidance with procedures such as assigning disk pools, determining aggregate layout, setting up FlexVol volumes, setting up NetApp Snapshot, provisioning Cisco and Brocade switches, designing a tiebreaker mechanism, setting up a configuration replication network between your peered clusters, and testing your MetroCluster DR solution to prove compliance with industry standards and regulatory requirements.
High Availability Load Balancing
Progent provides high availability load balancing support covering network load balancing, load balanced programs, LAN/WAN backbone routing, and content dispatching technology including Cisco Content Engine. Non-stop load balancing technologies for which Progent can provide consulting services include Windows Server 2003 and 2008 Network Load Balancing Manager, Citrix Metaframe and Access Gateway, Cisco Content Services Switch, Cisco Distributed Director and LocalDirector 400 series, and F5 Networks 3-DNS. For more information, see High Availability Load Balancing.
Zero Downtime Data Centers
Progent's Data Center consultants can show you how to identify high availability data centers that meet the particular needs of your company. High availability co-location sites are particularly appealing to small and mid-size companies due to of their low cost and simplified logistics compared to pursuing a do-it-yourself strategy. Attempting to build an on-site data center that offers even a minimum degree of fault tolerance is too expensive for most small organizations. Progent is ready to show you how to get all the benefits of 24x7 colo sites by offering a full range of engineering and support services. To find out more, go to High-Availability Internet Data Centers Expertise.
Failsafe Branch Office Connectivity
Progent’s multi-site network infrastructure professionals can help companies achieve fault tolerant interoffice connectivity by means of fully redundant system architectures featuring transparent failover. Progent’s Cisco-certified CCIE engineers can design and implement ultra-reliable Inter-office networks based on non-stop EIGRP routers or zero-downtime OSPF configurations of Cisco routers. Progent can demonstrate how redundant connections and transparent fail-over can provide economical 24x7 interoffice networking. To find out more, visit Non-stop Inter-office Networking.
High Availability Internet Connections
Progent's Cisco-certified IT professionals can show you how to create an affordable, high availability Internet configuration solution that can achieve non-stop Internet access through a broad array of high availability Internet network solutions including non-stop BGP, automatic fail-over, and redundant Internet Service Providers. Progent can provide CCIE professionals to help you utilize the most up-to-date technology for fault tolerant Internet connections to create a cost-effective, completely redundant Internet interface with automatic failover and other features to create fault tolerant Internet availability. To learn more, see Non-stop Internet Connectivity Architecture.
Backup and Restore Solutions Consulting and Support Services
Progent offers economical remote support from consultants skilled in a broad array of utilities and services that deliver solutions for backing up Windows, Apple Mac, and Linux physical and virtual servers and workstations as well as laptops and handhelds. Progent can provide help for all major data protection platforms including Acronis, Symantec Backup Exec, BackupAssist, CrashPlan PRO, Double-Take, Mozy, Retrospect for Macintosh, Time Machine, VMware vSphere Data Protection (VDP), and FLARs. Progent can help you to deploy, enhance, or troubleshoot backup/restore systems for a range of architectures including on-premises, remote, cloud-based, or hybrid. To read more, see Backup and Recovery Solutions Consulting and Support Services.
Microsoft System Center Data Protection Manager Backup and Restore Consultants
Progent's certified System Center Data Protection Manager engineers can assist you to create an effective business continuity strategy, design an affordable fault-tolerante IT architecture, configure a SCDPM-based backup and recovery system, thoroughly validate your DPM system, educate your administrative personnel or regular consultants how to manage Microsoft System Center Data Protection Manager, or provide extensive information technology support outsourcing including remote housing of virtual or physical SCDPM servers in Progent's data center facility. To read more, go to System Center Data Protection Manager Consulting Services.
Altaro VM Backup Solutions for Data Protection and Disaster Recovery
Altaro VM Backup provides small organizations a reliable and budget-friendly solution for backing up and restoring Hyper-V and VMware-powered virtual machines (VMs). Altaro VM Backup can be used for local, offsite, distributed, and cloud-hosted architectures and also enables low-cost backup to Azure Block Blob storage. Top features include state-of-the-art Augmented Inline Deduplication to reduce backup storage requirements, Continuous Data Protection (CDP) with backup intervals as little as five minutes for reducing your exposure to data loss, military-grade encryption, item-level restore options for specific files and emails, support for Windows Cluster Shared Volumes and vCenter for managing large-scale environments, and support for Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service to back up live VMs with zero downtime. Progent is an Altaro partner and can provide a broad range of consulting services to help you to plan, install, optimize and troubleshoot a backup and disaster recovery solution powered by Altaro VM Backup software. To learn more, go to Altaro VM Backup Consulting Services.
Consulting for Double-Take Solutions for Data Backup and Recovery
Double-Take offers a selection of tools intended to deliver small and midsize businesses a range of affordable solutions for replicating and recovering business-critical applications such as Microsoft Exchange, SQL, RIM Blackberry, and Microsoft Office SharePoint. Progent’s disaster recovery planning experts have extensive backgrounds integrating Double-Take Software products into small business information systems to achieve a high state of fault tolerance and disaster recovery readiness at an affordable price. To learn more, visit Consulting for Double-Take Solutions for Backup.
CRISC-Premier Network Risk Mitigation
The CRISC program was established by ISACA to validate an IT professional's skills to design, deploy, and maintain IS control mechanisms to mitigate network risk. Progent can provide the expertise of a CRISC-certified consultant to assist your company to create and carry out a workplace continuity or disaster recovery strategy that follows industry best practices identified by CRISC and geared to match your company's risk tolerance, business objectives, and budgetary guidelines. To read more, go to CRISC-Premier network risk mitigation experts.
Why Pick Progent for Disaster Recovery/Business Continuity Planning Solutions?
Because Progent is a Microsoft Certified Partner and offers professional application consulting for a wide range of small business applications, Progent is able to assist customers to arrive at efficient information technology solutions that maximize the productivity of your network. As a Registered Partner with Cisco, Progent offers the support of premier consultants and specialists with expertise in architecting, configuring and troubleshooting infrastructure environments based on Cisco technology. The broad scope of Progent's technical know-how and Progent's appreciation for the needs of small and midsize companies make Progent the perfect resource for creating and maintaining a cost-effective, fault-tolerant information system.
How You Can Get in Touch with Progent's Consultants for Disaster Recovery Planning Help
If you wish to contact Progent about engineering help for disaster recovery planning, call 1-800-993-9400 or refer to Contact Progent.