Barracuda Backup: Cloud-integrated Backup and Disaster Recovery
Barracuda Backup is a low-cost, subscription-based backup and disaster recovery service for small and medium-size businesses. The Barracuda Backup solution can include a physical, purpose-built Barracuda appliance or a virtual, software-based appliance with similar functionality but which uses your own storage hardware. Barracuda Backup protects critical business data generated on-premises, at one or more remote sites, or in the cloud. For disaster preparedness, you can replicate data to the Barracuda Cloud, to Amazon Web Services (AWS), or to any private location you designate. A simple-to-operate and web-accessible management and reporting console makes it easy to administer and monitor all backup, replication, retention and recovery processes in real time.
Key features of Barracuda Backup include:
Progent is a certified Barracuda partner and offers a wide array of consulting and management services to help you design, integrate, operate and troubleshoot a backup and disaster recovery solution built on Barracuda technology. Progent also offers ProSight Data Protection Services managed backup as an affordable turnkey service that allows you to outsource the management of your backup/recovery system. ProSight Data Protection Services incorporates cloud-based backup technology developed by Intronis, a company acquired by Barracuda. Progent's Hyper-V consulting experts and VMware consultants can assist your business to plan and configure virtual machine deployments that utilize any combination of local, remote and cloud-based resources. Progent can also provide advanced business continuity/disaster recovery (BCDR) planning consulting to help businesses of any size to recover quickly from cyber attacks such as ransomware or from other catastrophic events caused by natural or human-caused disasters, hardware breakdowns, or other reasons.
- LiveBoot and Cloud LiveBoot enable recovery Microsoft Hyper-V and VMware VMs in minutes, minimizing business disruption
- Cloud-to-Cloud Backup protects against data loss in Microsoft Office 365 and Exchange Online environments
- Offsite vaulting of historical revisions conserves local storage resources so they can be used for production applications
- In-line deduplication and data compression can cut storage requirements and network bandwidth usage in half
Capabilities of Barracuda Backup
Barracuda Backup offers small and mid-size organizations a full-featured data protection solution by providing advanced capabilities in the areas of backup, recovery and management. Barracuda Backup protects the most popular operating systems, the most widely used versions of Hyper-V and VMware, and cloud-hosted Microsoft applications. Mission-critical servers can be backed up as often as every 15 minutes to support a low Recovery Point Objective (RPO). Replication to offsite datacenters and to the cloud facilitate disaster recovery and offer deployment options to suit any SMB.
Mac OS X
Barracuda Backup works with popular operating systems, hypervisors and cloud-hosted applications
Secure Backup and Replication
Barracuda Backup utilizes a physical or virtual (software-based) onsite appliance that securely and automatically replicates data offsite. Local backup allows fast restores, and offsite replication supports disaster recovery.
Restore and Disaster Recovery
- Hardware-Encrypted Appliance: Barracuda Encrypted Backup is a service option that uses disk drives which can be read only when the drives are installed in the physical Barracuda appliance. In case the entire encrypted appliance is taken from a site, disk data can only be read after a power-on password is correctly entered. Native encryption technology is incorporated in the drives used in this option, which eliminates the dramatic performance loss associated with software-based encryption.
- Inline Deduplication and Compression: Barracuda Backup services using either physical or virtual appliances include Inline, block-level, source-based and target-based deduplication and compression. This results in a significant reduction in storage and bandwidth use and cuts the time it takes to complete backup and replication operations. Barracudaís variable block deduplication algorithms evaluate data type and chunk size in order to determine a block size that delivers the highest degree of deduplication. For businesses with multiple locations, Barracuda's advanced global deduplication and cloud storage technology offer significant savings in storage infrastructure without compromising data protection.
- Secure and Efficient Replication: Barracuda Backup offers a variety of low-cost options for copying business-critical data offsite to protect against local events that may disable your datacenter. You can use built-in WAN acceleration to replicate protected data to the Barracuda Cloud, to the Amazon Web Services (AWS) cloud, or to a Barracuda physical or virtual backup appliance located at any remote location. You can also export replicated data to external disk, tape, autoloaders, or robotic libraries. Wherever you choose to replicate your data, it will be transferred and stored using military-grade 256-bit AES encryption. Barracuda replication can use VMware Changed Block Tracking (CBT) and requires only a single agent for Windows systems and apps.
- Offsite Vaulting: To help businesses comply with internal or regulatory retention policies and to reduce the cost of storing archival backups, Barracuda Backup supports offsite vaulting. You can transfer on-premises copies of monthly and yearly backups from a local Barracuda appliance to the Barracuda Cloud or to a different Barracuda appliance.
- Cloud-to-Cloud Backup: To recover from data loss due to human error such as accidental deletions, Barracuda offers Cloud-to-Cloud Backup for Microsoft Office 365. This can protect Exchange Online mailboxes and OneDrive for Business files and folders.
Barracuda Backup supports a variety of recovery options for physical servers and virtual machines. You can restore data from a local Barracuda Backup appliance, from a remote Barracuda Backup appliance that has been used to replicate that system, or from Barracuda Cloud Storage.
Management and Reporting
- P2V Restores: You can restore physical server backups into a virtual environment (P2V restores) hosted by VMware vSphere or Microsoft Hyper-V.
- Bare Metal Recovery (BMR): Bare metal recovery lets you restore a complete Windows computer system, including data, settings, applications, and operating system, onto a new computer on which no software has been installed. BMR is useful for a variety of common restoration scenarios including replacing a lost notebook or provisioning a new one, refreshing a server's hardware, moving from a physical to a virtual server, migrating from a rotating disk to a solid-state drive, or recovering from a cyber attack that corrupted your operating system.
- LiveBoot: The LiveBoot feature allows instant recovery of VMware virtual guest machines. If your primary storage system fails, Barracuda Backup can operate as data storage for your VMware ESXi server. You can recover any revision of a guest VM based on your retention policy and immediately use files and applications in their deduplicated state stored within Barracuda Backup. You can also use LiveBoot for granular file-level recovery as well as for item-level recovery for supported applications including Exchange, Microsoft SQL, and SharePoint.
- Cloud LiveBoot: When you back up a Hyper-V or VMware virtual guest server and replicate to Barracuda Cloud Storage, you can boot the server in Barracuda's Cloud directly from the Barracuda Backup web interface with no additional configuration. You can recover any revision of a virtual guest server within your retention policy, boot virtual servers in the cloud to recover and traverse the file structure of virtual guest system data, and retrieve individual Active Directory (AD) objects. For testing purposes, you can boot the virtual guest system to confirm data integrity or to set up a sandbox for trying out new or updated applications without risk to your production environment.
- Granular Recovery: From the Barracuda Backup web interface you can recover an entire share, a file, a file system directory, a mailbox, mailbox folders, or individual messages. You can restore data to its original location or to any other networked computer where the Barracuda Backup Agent is installed.
- Retention Policies: Barracuda Backup retention policies allow you to keep historic data based on daily, weekly, monthly, or yearly time intervals. You can create Barracuda Backup retention policies for different sets of data including VMs, email messages, and data backed up by the Barracuda Backup Agent including Exchange, SQL, Hyper-V, and System State. This flexibility allows you to comply with regulatory or litigation requirements and fine tune data protection and disaster recovery plans.
- Microsoft Exchange Support: Barracuda Backup automatically creates a recovery mailbox database for Microsoft Exchange Server 2013 and higher. You can restore individual Exchange Mailbox folders, such as the Inbox, as well as Contacts, Calendars, and Notes. You can also use Barracuda Backup's web interface to view, search, and restore individual Microsoft Exchange messages. You can view all of the messages within an individual mailbox and you can perform a string search across multiple mailboxes.
- VMware CBT Restores: VMware Changed Block Tracking (CBT) is used to perform incremental backups on VMware ESX/ESXi VMs. CBT identifies and tracks block changes that occurred after the most recent backup and logs these changes. This significantly lowers the number and duration of backup windows and improves the speed and efficiency of subsequent replication.
The Barracuda Appliance web interface is a modern, easy-to-use tool for configuring, monitoring and administering your Barracuda Backup solution from a centralized and web-accessible utility. A similar Cloud-to-Cloud Backup tool is also available. Both tools feature six tabs that open pages with a rich set of management capabilities.
Barracuda's web-based management tool simplifies the protection of local, multi-site, or cloud-based data
Barracuda Backup Physical and Virtual Appliances
- Dashboard: Provides a panoramic view of all devices on the subscriber's Barracuda Backup account. This section uses interactive graphs and tables to describe a wealth of information including the performance and health of local and offsite backups, agents, and data sources. Other information includes offsite transfer remaining, offsite transfer efficiency, storage efficiency, backup reports, storage allocation, current tasks, storage and transfer history, and Barracuda subscription information.
- Backup: Controls data sources and manages how data is backed up locally and replicated offsite. This section allows you to control replication from Barracuda appliances for disaster recovery, granular backup scheduling, directory and file exclusions, rate limits, and retention policies.
- Restore: Allows you to restore data from a local Barracuda physical or virtual appliance, replicated data from a remote appliance, or data from Barracuda Cloud Storage. The Restore Browser page lets you recover a range items that include Microsoft Hyper-V and VMware servers, Exchange Server, SQL Server databases, Active Directory objects, SharePoint objects, and Windows System State. The Restore Browser page also gives you access to LiveBoot, Cloud LiveBoot, and P2V restores. You can use the LiveBrowse feature to view and traverse file structures inside backed up Hyper-V and VMware VMDK, VHD, and VHDX files and you can download files and directories from Hyper-V and VMware snapshots.
- Reports: Allows you to view detailed reports on backups, restores, and large items, plus an audit log of all activities. The Backup Report includes a report detailing every backup that has been performed or is currently running. The tabular and sortable Restore Report provides details for a specified range of restore operations and includes any errors encountered and a list of restored content. The Large Items Report lists large files and includes the source and path of the data plus the size of the file before and after deduplication. The Audit Log Report shows all logged activities in the Barracuda Backup web interface for specified users and time periods.
- System: Allows you to manage firmware version and settings for Barracuda Backup and to download software tools to use with Barracuda Backup.
- Admin: Allows you to configure email notifications, authentication, and permissions for users, add and delete display groups to manage multiple Barracuda Backup appliances, activate an appliance, and add and configure your Amazon Web Services (AWS) Account to Barracuda Backup (this requires an AWS Replication subscription).
Barracuda Backup services can be deployed with any mix of physical Barracuda appliances, software-based virtual appliances that utilize your own compute and storage infrastructure (called Barracuda Backup Vx), or Cloud-to-Cloud backup. Barracuda's purpose-built physical appliances can include internal encryption technology and range from desktop devices with 1 TB of storage to rackmount 4 U hot-swappable arrays with capacities of up to 112 TB. Physical appliances incorporate Barracuda's software, storage and replication technology and, as part of the subscription service, require no up-front capital investment. Subscribers receive a free hardware refresh to the latest physical appliance model every four years. Advantages of a Barracuda physical appliance over a software-based virtual appliance include simplicity of integration and management plus reduced loading on production servers while performing CPU-intensive activities such as hashing blocks during deduplication, compression for offsite replication, and rehydration of data during restoration.
You can use Barracuda's physical or virtual appliances for local and off-site backup, replication and disaster recovery
Barracuda Backup Deduplication
Deduplication is a data compression technique that plays a critical role in any modern backup and recovery solution. Deduplication works by comparing incoming data blocks with backup data that has already been stored. Deduplication algorithms remove redundant incoming data blocks and substitute a concise reference to the data already stored. Barracuda Backup Agents (BBAs) deduplicate and compress local data, including Hyper-V VHD files, on the client-side host server before transmitting the deduplicated data to the physical or virtual Barracuda Backup appliance. By preventing redundant data from being sent to the Barracuda Backup appliance for processing, so-called source-based dedpulication reduces LAN network traffic and significantly shortens the backup window.
The Barracuda Backup Agent (BBA) deduplicates data at the source system to conserve LAN bandwidth
To backup VMware virtual disks, Barracuda Backup takes advantage of VMwareís VADP technology, using Changed Block Tracking to avoid sending redundant data chunks to Barracuda Backup appliances.
How Progent Can Help You with Barracuda Backup
Progent's Microsoft-certified Hyper-V consultants and VMware-certified vSphere and vCenter experts can assist your business to design, install and manage a data backup and disaster recovery solution powered by Barracuda Backup. Progent's Exchange consultants can help you use Barracuda Backup to protect your Exchange Server deployment, and Progent's Amazon AWS hybrid cloud consulting experts can help you set up your AWS account to replicate and restore critical data. Progent's Disaster Recovery consultants can show you how Barracuda Backup's offsite and cloud replication capability can protect your vital business data and get you up and running fast in the event of a natural or human-made disaster, a ransomware attack, or any other catastrophic event. Progent's GIAC-certified information assurance consultants can evaluate the security and compliance of your backup ecosystem and can help you leverage affordable tools and smart processes and policies to survive in today's increasingly dangerous IT environment.
Other Non-stop Technologies Offered by Progent's Experts
Progent's certified consultants can help your business to design an efficient, fault-tolerant environment that addresses key challenges encompassing a broad array of infrastructure solutions and processes including:
Business Continuity Planning
Progent's business continuity professionals can help you create a disaster recovery strategy that will allow you to resume IT functionality in the event of an information system catastrophe. Progent can assist you to develop a complete disaster recovery strategy that includes periodic disaster recovery evaluations and drills. Progent's Microsoft and Cisco-authorized professionals can also show you how to build an affordable, fault-tolerant network solution that takes into account reliability issues covering a broad range of network technologies and procedures. To read more, visit Disaster Recovery Consulting Services.
Managed Cloud Backup: ProSight Data Protection Services
ProSight Data Protection Services from Progent offer small and mid-sized businesses an affordable end-to-end service for reliable backup/disaster recovery (BDR). Available at a fixed monthly price, ProSight DPS automates your backup processes and allows fast recovery of vital files, apps and VMs that have become lost or corrupted as a result of hardware failures, software glitches, natural disasters, human mistakes, or malware attacks like ransomware. ProSight DPS can help you protect, recover and restore files, folders, apps, system images, as well as Hyper-V and VMware virtual machine images. Important data can be protected on the cloud, to a local device, or mirrored to both. Progent's cloud backup consultants can provide advanced support to configure ProSight Data Protection Services to to comply with government and industry regulatory requirements such as HIPPA, FIRPA, and PCI and, whenever necessary, can help you to recover your business-critical data. Find out more about ProSight Data Protection Services Managed Cloud Backup and Recovery.
Microsoft Server 2016 Disaster Recovery
Progent's Windows Server 2016 disaster recovery/business continuity consultants can help your organization to plan and deploy a disaster recovery solution built around Microsoft's latest Failover Clustering technologies including Cluster OS Rolling Upgrade for non-disruptive migration to Windows Server 2016, Storage Replica for zero-data-loss recovery, Storage Spaces Direct for enterprise-class network-attached storage using industry-standard equipment, Virtual Machine Load Balancing for improving the speed and fault-tolerance of Failover Clusters while minimizing capital investment and management overhead, and Cloud Witness for fast, affordable creation of a stretch cluster quorum arbitration point. For more information, see Microsoft Server 2016 Disaster Recovery Expertise.
Windows Server 2012 Failover Clustering
Windows Server 2008 R2 brought world-class fault tolerance and recoverability to Microsoft's clustering solution. Windows Server 2012 R2 adds to this technology and provides important new and enhanced features that offer more expandability, better storage uptime for server applications, easier management, quicker failover, and more flexibility for architecting clusters. To learn more, see Windows Server 2012 Clustering Consulting and Support.
VMware Site Recovery Manager (SRM) Disaster Recovery Solutions
VMware's Site Recovery Manager (SRM) is an extension to VMware vCenter that lets you define, automate and test a repeatable process for recovering services quickly after an outage. Site Recovery Manager supports centrally controlled and automated recovery, application mobility, and transparent site relocation, failback and site re-protect. SRM also allows transparent testing for site recovery, upgrades and fixes and can produce audit reports to confirm complete service recovery, validate Service Level Agreements and prove disaster recovery compliance. Progent can provide the skills of a VCDX certified VMware SRM consultant to help your organization to plan, deploy, test and manage a DR solution based on VMware SRM.
NetApp MetroCluster Disaster Recovery Software
NetApp MetroCluster is a high-availability and disaster recovery platform that combines array-based storage clustering with replication to deliver rapid, zero RPO disaster recovery between datacenters that are as far as 300km apart. Progent offers online or on-premises access to a NetApp MetroCluster consultant who can assist your business to design, deploy, manage, upgrade, test and troubleshoot a disaster recovery solution based on NetApp MetroCluster. Progent can assist you to select an architecture for your MetroCluster environment that meets your technical requirements and budget. Progent can make sure you adhere to leading practices for configuring your MetroCluster environment by providing help with tasks like assigning disk pools, arranging aggregate layout, setting up NetApp FlexVol volumes, setting up Data ONTAP configuration replication service, provisioning switches, implementing a tiebreaker mechanism, designing a configuration replication network between your storage clusters, and verifying your DR solution to prove adherence with industry standards and government mandates.
Fault Tolerant Load Balancing
Progent offers high availability load balancing consulting covering network load balancing, load balanced programs, network backbone routing, and content dispatching technology including Cisco Content Engine. Fault tolerant load balancing products for which Progent can provide consulting services include Windows 2003 and 2008 Server Network Load Balancing Manager, Citrix Metaframe and Access Gateway, Cisco CSS, Cisco Content Distribution Manager and ACNS, and F5 Networks 3-DNS. To find out more, see High Availability Load Balancing.
Zero Downtime Colocation
Progent's Data Center consultants can show you how to find zero-downtime data centers that match the specific requirements of your business. High availability Internet Data Centers are particularly attractive to small and mid-size companies due to of their affordability and simplified logistics compared to pursuing a do-it-yourself approach. Trying to build an on-site data center that offers even a basic level of fault tolerance is too expensive for most small companies. Progent is ready to help you get all the advantages of non-stop colo centers by providing a full array of engineering and maintenance services. For more information, see High-Availability Colocation Solutions.
Non-stop Inter-office Connectivity
Progentís multi-site connection consultants can help organizations create fault tolerant interoffice connectivity via redundant system architectures with automatic failover. Progentís Cisco-certified CCIE network engineers can design and deploy ultra-reliable Inter-office connections based on fault tolerant EIGRP network routers or zero-downtime OSPF configurations of Cisco routers. Progent can show you how redundant connectivity and automatic fail-over offers affordable non-stop interoffice networking. To find out more, go to High-Availability Interoffice Networking.
Non-stop Internet Connectivity
Progent's Cisco-certified network professionals can show you how to create an economical, fault tolerant Internet configuration solution that can achieve 24x7 Internet connectivity through a broad range of high availability Internet network technologies including fault tolerant BGP, automatic fail-over, and multiple ISPs. Progent can provide Cisco Certified Internetwork Expert professionals to help you utilize the most up-to-date techniques for fault tolerant Internet access to build a cost-effective, fully redundant Internet network with automatic failover and other capabilities to create non-stop Internet connections. For more information, see 24x7 Internet Access Architecture.
Backup and Recovery Technology Consultants
Progent can provide affordable remote access to engineers skilled in a wide range of products and services that deliver solutions for backing up Microsoft Windows, Mac, and Linux physical and virtual servers and workstations as well as laptops and handhelds. Progent can provide expertise for all major backup products such as Acronis, Backup Exec, BackupAssist, CrashPlan PRO, Double-Take Backup, Mozy, Retrospect for Macintosh, Apple Time Machine, VMware vSphere Data Protection (VDP), and FLARs. Progent can help you to deploy, upgrade, or maintain backup systems for a variety of architectures including local, remote, cloud, or a mix. To learn more, visit Backup and Recovery Solutions Consulting.
System Center Data Protection Manager (SCDPM) Backup and Restore Consulting and Support Services
Progent's expert System Center Data Protection Manager engineers can assist you to create a practical workplace recovery plan, design an affordable high-availability network infrastructure, deploy a System Center Data Protection Manager-powered recovery system, thoroughly validate your DPM system, educate your IT staff or local consultants how to maintain SCDPM, or provide complete IT outsourcing such as remote hosting of SCDPM machines in Progent's data center facility. To find out more, visit System Center Data Protection Manager Consulting and Support Services.
Altaro VM Backup Solutions for Backup and Disaster Recovery
Altaro VM Backup software offers small and mid-size organizations a reliable and affordable platform for backing up and recovering Hyper-V and VMware-powered virtual machines. Altaro VM Backup can be deployed in on-premises, offsite, multi-site, and cloud architectures and also enables cost-effective backup to Azure storage. Top features include state-of-the-art inline deduplication to cut backup storage requirements, Continuous Data Protection with backup intervals as short as five minutes for minimizing your exposure to data loss, military-grade encryption, item-level recovery options for individual files and emails, extensive support for Windows Server Cluster Shared Volumes and for vCenter for handling larger deployments, and the ability to leverage Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) to back up live VMs without downtime. Progent is a certified Altaro partner and offers a wide array of consulting services to help you to plan, install, manage and troubleshoot a backup and disaster recovery system based on Altaro VM Backup software. To find out more, see Altaro VM Backup Consulting.
Consulting for Double-Take Solutions for Data Backup
Double-Take Software offers a selection of tools designed to provide small companies a variety of affordable solutions for backing up and restoring vital workloads including Exchange, SQL, RIM Blackberry, and Microsoft SharePoint. Progentís disaster recovery planning consultants have in-depth experience integrating Double-Take Software technology into small company information systems to achieve a high level of fault tolerance and business continuity readiness at a budget-friendly cost. To read more, go to Consulting for Double-Take Solutions for Data Backup.
CRISC-Premier Network Risk Mitigation
The CRISC program was initiated by ISACA to verify a consultant's ability to plan, implement, and support IS control mechanisms to mitigate network risk. Progent can provide the expertise of a CRISC-certified consultant to help your company to create and execute a workplace continuity or disaster recovery strategy based on leading practices promoted by CRISC and crafted to match your organization's risk appetite, business objectives, and IT budget. For more information, see CRISC-Certified network risk management specialists.
Why Choose Progent for Disaster Recovery/Business Continuity Planning?
Because Progent is a Microsoft Certified Partner and offers high-level application expertise for a broad variety of small business applications, Progent is able to assist customers to find complete IT solutions that maximize the productivity of your information system. As a Registered Partner for Cisco, Progent offers the support of premier engineers and specialists with experience in architecting, implementing and managing networking solutions built on Cisco technology. The extent of Progent's technical know-how and Progent's appreciation for the needs of small and midsize companies make Progent the ideal resource for building and maintaining an affordable, dependable information system.
How to Access Progent's Engineers for Business Continuity Planning Help
To get in touch with Progent about engineering expertise for workplace recovery planning, phone 1-800-993-9400 or go to Contact Progent.