Barracuda Backup: Cloud-integrated Backup and Disaster Recovery
Barracuda Backup is a low-cost, subscription-based backup and disaster recovery service for small and medium-size businesses. The Barracuda Backup solution can include a physical, purpose-built Barracuda appliance or a virtual, software-based appliance with similar functionality but which uses your own storage hardware. Barracuda Backup protects critical business data generated on-premises, at one or more remote sites, or in the cloud. For disaster preparedness, you can replicate data to the Barracuda Cloud, to Amazon Web Services (AWS), or to any private location you designate. A simple-to-operate and web-accessible management and reporting console makes it easy to administer and monitor all backup, replication, retention and recovery processes in real time.
Key features of Barracuda Backup include:
Progent is a certified Barracuda partner and offers a wide array of consulting and management services to help you design, integrate, operate and troubleshoot a backup and disaster recovery solution built on Barracuda technology. Progent also offers ProSight Data Protection Services managed backup as an affordable turnkey service that allows you to outsource the management of your backup/recovery system. ProSight Data Protection Services incorporates cloud-based backup technology developed by Intronis, a company acquired by Barracuda. Progent's Hyper-V consulting experts and VMware consultants can assist your business to plan and configure virtual machine deployments that utilize any combination of local, remote and cloud-based resources. Progent can also provide advanced business continuity/disaster recovery (BCDR) planning consulting to help businesses of any size to recover quickly from cyber attacks such as ransomware or from other catastrophic events caused by natural or human-caused disasters, hardware breakdowns, or other reasons.
- LiveBoot and Cloud LiveBoot enable recovery Microsoft Hyper-V and VMware VMs in minutes, minimizing business disruption
- Cloud-to-Cloud Backup protects against data loss in Microsoft Office 365 and Exchange Online environments
- Offsite vaulting of historical revisions conserves local storage resources so they can be used for production applications
- In-line deduplication and data compression can cut storage requirements and network bandwidth usage in half
Capabilities of Barracuda Backup
Barracuda Backup offers small and mid-size organizations a full-featured data protection solution by providing advanced capabilities in the areas of backup, recovery and management. Barracuda Backup protects the most popular operating systems, the most widely used versions of Hyper-V and VMware, and cloud-hosted Microsoft applications. Mission-critical servers can be backed up as often as every 15 minutes to support a low Recovery Point Objective (RPO). Replication to offsite datacenters and to the cloud facilitate disaster recovery and offer deployment options to suit any SMB.
Mac OS X
Barracuda Backup works with popular operating systems, hypervisors and cloud-hosted applications
Secure Backup and Replication
Barracuda Backup utilizes a physical or virtual (software-based) onsite appliance that securely and automatically replicates data offsite. Local backup allows fast restores, and offsite replication supports disaster recovery.
Restore and Disaster Recovery
- Hardware-Encrypted Appliance: Barracuda Encrypted Backup is a service option that uses disk drives which can be read only when the drives are installed in the physical Barracuda appliance. In case the entire encrypted appliance is taken from a site, disk data can only be read after a power-on password is correctly entered. Native encryption technology is incorporated in the drives used in this option, which eliminates the dramatic performance loss associated with software-based encryption.
- Inline Deduplication and Compression: Barracuda Backup services using either physical or virtual appliances include Inline, block-level, source-based and target-based deduplication and compression. This results in a significant reduction in storage and bandwidth use and cuts the time it takes to complete backup and replication operations. Barracuda's variable block deduplication algorithms evaluate data type and chunk size in order to determine a block size that delivers the highest degree of deduplication. For businesses with multiple locations, Barracuda's advanced global deduplication and cloud storage technology offer significant savings in storage infrastructure without compromising data protection.
- Secure and Efficient Replication: Barracuda Backup offers a variety of low-cost options for copying business-critical data offsite to protect against local events that may disable your datacenter. You can use built-in WAN acceleration to replicate protected data to the Barracuda Cloud, to the Amazon Web Services (AWS) cloud, or to a Barracuda physical or virtual backup appliance located at any remote location. You can also export replicated data to external disk, tape, autoloaders, or robotic libraries. Wherever you choose to replicate your data, it will be transferred and stored using military-grade 256-bit AES encryption. Barracuda replication can use VMware Changed Block Tracking (CBT) and requires only a single agent for Windows systems and apps.
- Offsite Vaulting: To help businesses comply with internal or regulatory retention policies and to reduce the cost of storing archival backups, Barracuda Backup supports offsite vaulting. You can transfer on-premises copies of monthly and yearly backups from a local Barracuda appliance to the Barracuda Cloud or to a different Barracuda appliance.
- Cloud-to-Cloud Backup: To recover from data loss due to human error such as accidental deletions, Barracuda offers Cloud-to-Cloud Backup for Microsoft Office 365. This can protect Exchange Online mailboxes and OneDrive for Business files and folders.
Barracuda Backup supports a variety of recovery options for physical servers and virtual machines. You can restore data from a local Barracuda Backup appliance, from a remote Barracuda Backup appliance that has been used to replicate that system, or from Barracuda Cloud Storage.
Management and Reporting
- P2V Restores: You can restore physical server backups into a virtual environment (P2V restores) hosted by VMware vSphere or Microsoft Hyper-V.
- Bare Metal Recovery (BMR): Bare metal recovery lets you restore a complete Windows computer system, including data, settings, applications, and operating system, onto a new computer on which no software has been installed. BMR is useful for a variety of common restoration scenarios including replacing a lost notebook or provisioning a new one, refreshing a server's hardware, moving from a physical to a virtual server, migrating from a rotating disk to a solid-state drive, or recovering from a cyber attack that corrupted your operating system.
- LiveBoot: The LiveBoot feature allows instant recovery of VMware virtual guest machines. If your primary storage system fails, Barracuda Backup can operate as data storage for your VMware ESXi server. You can recover any revision of a guest VM based on your retention policy and immediately use files and applications in their deduplicated state stored within Barracuda Backup. You can also use LiveBoot for granular file-level recovery as well as for item-level recovery for supported applications including Exchange, Microsoft SQL, and SharePoint.
- Cloud LiveBoot: When you back up a Hyper-V or VMware virtual guest server and replicate to Barracuda Cloud Storage, you can boot the server in Barracuda's Cloud directly from the Barracuda Backup web interface with no additional configuration. You can recover any revision of a virtual guest server within your retention policy, boot virtual servers in the cloud to recover and traverse the file structure of virtual guest system data, and retrieve individual Active Directory (AD) objects. For testing purposes, you can boot the virtual guest system to confirm data integrity or to set up a sandbox for trying out new or updated applications without risk to your production environment.
- Granular Recovery: From the Barracuda Backup web interface you can recover an entire share, a file, a file system directory, a mailbox, mailbox folders, or individual messages. You can restore data to its original location or to any other networked computer where the Barracuda Backup Agent is installed.
- Retention Policies: Barracuda Backup retention policies allow you to keep historic data based on daily, weekly, monthly, or yearly time intervals. You can create Barracuda Backup retention policies for different sets of data including VMs, email messages, and data backed up by the Barracuda Backup Agent including Exchange, SQL, Hyper-V, and System State. This flexibility allows you to comply with regulatory or litigation requirements and fine tune data protection and disaster recovery plans.
- Microsoft Exchange Support: Barracuda Backup automatically creates a recovery mailbox database for Microsoft Exchange Server 2013 and higher. You can restore individual Exchange Mailbox folders, such as the Inbox, as well as Contacts, Calendars, and Notes. You can also use Barracuda Backup's web interface to view, search, and restore individual Microsoft Exchange messages. You can view all of the messages within an individual mailbox and you can perform a string search across multiple mailboxes.
- VMware CBT Restores: VMware Changed Block Tracking (CBT) is used to perform incremental backups on VMware ESX/ESXi VMs. CBT identifies and tracks block changes that occurred after the most recent backup and logs these changes. This significantly lowers the number and duration of backup windows and improves the speed and efficiency of subsequent replication.
The Barracuda Appliance web interface is a modern, easy-to-use tool for configuring, monitoring and administering your Barracuda Backup solution from a centralized and web-accessible utility. A similar Cloud-to-Cloud Backup tool is also available. Both tools feature six tabs that open pages with a rich set of management capabilities.
Barracuda's web-based management tool simplifies the protection of local, multi-site, or cloud-based data
Barracuda Backup Physical and Virtual Appliances
- Dashboard: Provides a panoramic view of all devices on the subscriber's Barracuda Backup account. This section uses interactive graphs and tables to describe a wealth of information including the performance and health of local and offsite backups, agents, and data sources. Other information includes offsite transfer remaining, offsite transfer efficiency, storage efficiency, backup reports, storage allocation, current tasks, storage and transfer history, and Barracuda subscription information.
- Backup: Controls data sources and manages how data is backed up locally and replicated offsite. This section allows you to control replication from Barracuda appliances for disaster recovery, granular backup scheduling, directory and file exclusions, rate limits, and retention policies.
- Restore: Allows you to restore data from a local Barracuda physical or virtual appliance, replicated data from a remote appliance, or data from Barracuda Cloud Storage. The Restore Browser page lets you recover a range items that include Microsoft Hyper-V and VMware servers, Exchange Server, SQL Server databases, Active Directory objects, SharePoint objects, and Windows System State. The Restore Browser page also gives you access to LiveBoot, Cloud LiveBoot, and P2V restores. You can use the LiveBrowse feature to view and traverse file structures inside backed up Hyper-V and VMware VMDK, VHD, and VHDX files and you can download files and directories from Hyper-V and VMware snapshots.
- Reports: Allows you to view detailed reports on backups, restores, and large items, plus an audit log of all activities. The Backup Report includes a report detailing every backup that has been performed or is currently running. The tabular and sortable Restore Report provides details for a specified range of restore operations and includes any errors encountered and a list of restored content. The Large Items Report lists large files and includes the source and path of the data plus the size of the file before and after deduplication. The Audit Log Report shows all logged activities in the Barracuda Backup web interface for specified users and time periods.
- System: Allows you to manage firmware version and settings for Barracuda Backup and to download software tools to use with Barracuda Backup.
- Admin: Allows you to configure email notifications, authentication, and permissions for users, add and delete display groups to manage multiple Barracuda Backup appliances, activate an appliance, and add and configure your Amazon Web Services (AWS) Account to Barracuda Backup (this requires an AWS Replication subscription).
Barracuda Backup services can be deployed with any mix of physical Barracuda appliances, software-based virtual appliances that utilize your own compute and storage infrastructure (called Barracuda Backup Vx), or Cloud-to-Cloud backup. Barracuda's purpose-built physical appliances can include internal encryption technology and range from desktop devices with 1 TB of storage to rackmount 4 U hot-swappable arrays with capacities of up to 112 TB. Physical appliances incorporate Barracuda's software, storage and replication technology and, as part of the subscription service, require no up-front capital investment. Subscribers receive a free hardware refresh to the latest physical appliance model every four years. Advantages of a Barracuda physical appliance over a software-based virtual appliance include simplicity of integration and management plus reduced loading on production servers while performing CPU-intensive activities such as hashing blocks during deduplication, compression for offsite replication, and rehydration of data during restoration.
You can use Barracuda's physical or virtual appliances for local and off-site backup, replication and disaster recovery
Barracuda Backup Deduplication
Deduplication is a data compression technique that plays a critical role in any modern backup and recovery solution. Deduplication works by comparing incoming data blocks with backup data that has already been stored. Deduplication algorithms remove redundant incoming data blocks and substitute a concise reference to the data already stored. Barracuda Backup Agents (BBAs) deduplicate and compress local data, including Hyper-V VHD files, on the client-side host server before transmitting the deduplicated data to the physical or virtual Barracuda Backup appliance. By preventing redundant data from being sent to the Barracuda Backup appliance for processing, so-called source-based dedpulication reduces LAN network traffic and significantly shortens the backup window.
The Barracuda Backup Agent (BBA) deduplicates data at the source system to conserve LAN bandwidth
To backup VMware virtual disks, Barracuda Backup takes advantage of VMware's VADP technology, using Changed Block Tracking to avoid sending redundant data chunks to Barracuda Backup appliances.
How Progent Can Help You with Barracuda Backup
Progent's Microsoft-certified Hyper-V consultants and VMware-certified vSphere and vCenter experts can assist your business to design, install and manage a data backup and disaster recovery solution powered by Barracuda Backup. Progent's Exchange consultants can help you use Barracuda Backup to protect your Exchange Server deployment, and Progent's Amazon AWS hybrid cloud consulting experts can help you set up your AWS account to replicate and restore critical data. Progent's Disaster Recovery consultants can show you how Barracuda Backup's offsite and cloud replication capability can protect your vital business data and get you up and running fast in the event of a natural or human-made disaster, a ransomware attack, or any other catastrophic event. Progent's GIAC-certified information assurance consultants can evaluate the security and compliance of your backup ecosystem and can help you leverage affordable tools and smart processes and policies to survive in today's increasingly dangerous IT environment.
Additional High Availability Solutions Supported by Progent's Consultants
Progent's Microsoft and Cisco engineers can assist your business to design a cost-effective, high-availability IT architecture that addresses critical issues covering a broad range of networking solutions and operations such as:
Workplace Recovery Planning
Progent's disaster recovery professionals can help you design a workplace recovery plan in order to resume IT functionality in case of an information network catastrophe. Progent can assist you to define a comprehensive disaster recovery strategy that includes periodic disaster recovery evaluations and testing. Progent's Microsoft and Cisco-certified professionals can also help you create an affordable, zero-downtime network architecture that addresses availability issues involving a broad range of network technologies and processes. For more information, visit Disaster Recovery Consulting and Support Services.
Managed Cloud Backup: ProSight Data Protection Services
ProSight Data Protection Services from Progent provide small and medium-sized businesses a low cost and fully managed service for reliable backup/disaster recovery. For a low monthly cost, ProSight DPS automates your backup processes and enables fast recovery of vital files, applications and virtual machines that have become lost or corrupted due to hardware breakdowns, software bugs, natural disasters, human error, or malware attacks such as ransomware. ProSight DPS can help you back up, recover and restore files, folders, apps, system images, as well as Hyper-V and VMware virtual machine images. Critical data can be protected on the cloud, to a local storage device, or mirrored to both. Progent's cloud backup consultants can deliver advanced support to configure ProSight Data Protection Services to to comply with government and industry regulatory requirements like HIPAA, FINRA, PCI and Safe Harbor and, when necessary, can help you to restore your critical data. Find out more about ProSight DPS Managed Cloud Backup.
Windows Server 2016 Disaster Recovery
Progent's Windows Server 2016 disaster recovery experts can help you to design a DR system built around Microsoft's most advanced Failover Clustering technologies such as Cluster OS Rolling Upgrade for non-disruptive migration to Windows Server 2016, Storage Replica for zero-data-loss recovery, Storage Spaces Direct for enterprise-class storage clusters using commodity equipment, Virtual Machine Load Balancing for enhancing the speed and resilience of Failover Clusters while minimizing capital investment and management overhead, and Cloud Witness for fast, economical creation of a stretch cluster quorum witness. To learn more, visit Microsoft Server 2016 Disaster Recovery and Business Continuity Help.
Windows Server 2012 Failover Clustering
Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 brought enterprise-class fault tolerance and system recovery to Microsoft's failover clustering platform. Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2 builds on this foundation and provides important enhancements that offer increased expandability, non-stop disk storage availability for server applications, streamlined management, faster automatic failover, and additional options for designing failover clusters. To learn more, visit Windows Server 2012 Clustering Consulting and Support.
VMware Site Recovery Manager (SRM) Disaster Recovery Solutions
VMware's Site Recovery Manager is a component of VMware vCenter that allows you to specify, automate and verify a repeatable process for restoring services quickly after an outage. SRM provides centrally managed and automated recovery, application mobility, and transparent site relocation, failback and site re-protect. SRM also enables transparent testing for disaster recovery, updates and patches and can generate reports to verify full service restoration, validate SLAs and prove DR compliance. Progent can provide the skills of a VCDX certified VMware Site Recovery Manager consulting expert to assist your organization to design, deploy, test and administer a disaster recovery solution based on VMware SRM.
NetApp MetroCluster High Availability and Disaster Recovery Technology
NetApp MetroCluster is a high-availability and disaster recovery software suite that combines array-based storage clustering with synchronous replication to provide rapid, zero RPO disaster recovery between datacenters located as far as 185 miles (300km) apart. Progent can provide the skills of a certified NetApp MetroCluster expert who can assist you to plan, configure, manage, upgrade, test and repair a disaster recovery solution built around NetApp MetroCluster. Progent can assist you to select an architecture for your MetroCluster environment that meets your technical needs and budget. Progent can ensure you follow leading practices for configuring your MetroCluster environment by delivering help with procedures like assigning shelf IDs, determining plexes layout, provisioning FlexVol volumes, setting up Data ONTAP configuration replication service, provisioning Cisco and Brocade switches, designing a tiebreaker, setting up a TCP/IP configuration replication network, and verifying your disaster recovery solution to show adherence with industry standards and government mandates.
Fault Tolerant Load Balancing
Progent provides high availability load balancing consulting covering network load balancing, load balanced applications, LAN/WAN infrastructure routing, and content delivery products such as F5 Networks 3DNS. High availability load balancing products for which Progent can provide consulting expertise include Microsoft Windows 2003 and 2008 Server Network Load Balancing Manager, Citrix Access Suite and Access Gateway, Cisco Content Services Switch, Cisco Distributed Director and ACNS, and F5 Networks 3-DNS. To learn more, visit Non-stop Load Balancing.
Non-stop Internet Data Centers
Progent's Data Center consultants can show you how to select fault-tolerant data centers that match the specific needs of your business. High availability Internet Data Centers are particularly attractive to small and mid-size companies because of their low cost and simplified logistics in comparison to pursuing a do-it-yourself approach. Attempting to create an on-site data center with even a minimum degree of fault tolerance is too expensive for most small companies. Progent is ready to help you reap all the advantages of high-availability colo centers by offering a complete range of engineering and maintenance services. To read more, go to Non-stop Data Centers Expertise.
Non-stop Interoffice Networking
Progentís branch office connection consultants can help organizations create zero-downtime inter-site connectivity solutions via redundant system architectures featuring automatic failover. Progentís Cisco-certified CCIE network engineers can plan and implement ultra-reliable Inter-office connections supported by fault tolerant EIGRP network routers or fault tolerant OSPF deployment of Cisco routers. Progent can show you how redundant connectivity and transparent fail-over can provide economical 24x7 interoffice networking. To read more, see 24x7 Inter-office Networking.
Non-stop Internet Connections
Progent's Cisco-certified IT experts can show you how to design an economical, high availability Internet configuration solution that can deliver 24x7 Internet access through a wide array of high availability Internet network solutions including fault tolerant BGP, transparent fail-over, and redundant ISPs. Progent offers CCIE engineers to help you apply the most advanced technology for fault tolerant Internet connections to create an economical, fully redundant Internet network with automatic failover and other capabilities to create non-stop Internet availability. To learn more, see 24x7 Internet Access Architecture.
Backup and Restore Technology Consulting Services
Progent can provide affordable remote access to consultants with expertise in a wide range of utilities and technologies that provide solutions for backing up Microsoft Windows, Apple Mac, and Linux/UNIX servers and workstations plus laptops and handhelds. Progent can provide help for all major backup platforms such as Acronis Backup and Recovery, Backup Exec, BackupAssist, HP Data Protector, Double-Take Software, Mozy, Retrospect, Apple Time Machine, vSphere Data Protection, and Solaris FLARs. Progent can assist you to implement, upgrade, or maintain backup systems for a range of architectures including local, remote, cloud-based, or a mix. For more information, visit Backup and Restore Technology Consulting Services.
Microsoft System Center Data Protection Manager Backup and Restore Consultants
Progent's certified Microsoft System Center Data Protection Manager support professionals can assist your company to create a practical business continuity strategy, implement a cost-effective fault-tolerante network infrastructure, install a Microsoft SCDPM-based backup and restore system, comprehensively test your DPM system, educate your administrative staff or local service providers how to maintain System Center Data Protection Manager, or provide extensive information technology outsourcing services including off-site hosting of Microsoft System Center Data Protection Manager machines in Progent's world-class data center. To find out more, go to Microsoft SCDPM Consulting Services.
Altaro VM Backup Solutions for Backup and Disaster Recovery
Altaro VM Backup software offers small and mid-size organizations a reliable and budget-friendly platform for backing up and restoring Hyper-V and VMware-based virtual machines (VMs). Altaro VM Backup can be used for local, remote, multi-site, and cloud-hosted architectures and also supports cost-effective cloud backup to Microsoft Azure Block Blob storage. Headline features include state-of-the-art Augmented Inline Deduplication to reduce backup storage needs, Continuous Data Protection (CDP) with backup intervals as short as five minutes for minimizing your exposure to data loss, advanced encryption, granular recovery capability for specific files and emails, support for Windows Cluster Shared Volumes (CSV) and for VMware vCenter for managing large-scale environments, and the ability to leverage Microsoft VSS technology to back up online VMs with zero downtime. Progent is a certified Altaro partner and offers a broad range of consulting services to help you to plan, deploy, optimize and troubleshoot a backup and disaster recovery solution powered by Altaro VM Backup. To read more, go to Altaro VM Backup Consulting.
Consulting Services Double-Take Solutions for Backup
Double-Take offers a selection of tools intended to deliver small businesses a variety of cost-effective alternatives for replicating and recovering business-critical workloads such as Microsoft Exchange Server, SQL, RIM Blackberry, and Microsoft SharePoint. Progentís business continuity planning consultants have extensive backgrounds incorporating Double-Take Software products into small company information networks to achieve an advanced state of availability and disaster recovery capability at an affordable price. For details, go to Consulting Services Double-Take Software for Backup.
CRISC-Premier Network Risk Control
The CRISC program was initiated by ISACA to verify a consultant's skills to design, implement, and support information system control mechanisms to mitigate network risk. Progent can provide the services of a CRISC-certified consultant to assist your company to develop and carry out a business continuity or disaster recovery strategy that follows industry best practices identified by CRISC and crafted to align with your organization's risk appetite, business objectives, and budgetary guidelines. For details, see CRISC-Premier network risk control specialists.
Why Choose Progent for Disaster Recovery/Business Continuity Planning?
Since Progent is a Microsoft Certified Partner and offers specialized application support for a broad variety of business applications, Progent can assist clients to arrive at comprehensive IT solutions that maximize the productivity of your network. As a Registered Partner for Cisco, Progent offers the expertise of certified engineers and specialists with expertise in designing, deploying and maintaining infrastructure solutions based on Cisco products. The extent of Progent's IT experience and Progent's familiarity with the needs of small and midsize businesses make Progent the perfect partner for creating and running an affordable, high-availability network.
How You Can Get in Touch with Progent's Engineers for Business Continuity Planning Help
To contact Progent about professional assistance for workplace recovery planning, phone 1-800-993-9400 or refer to Contact Progent.