Progent's Ransomware Forensics Investigation and Reporting in Baton Rouge
Progent's ransomware forensics consultants can capture the evidence of a ransomware attack and perform a detailed forensics analysis without interfering with the processes related to operational continuity and data recovery. Your Baton Rouge business can utilize Progent's post-attack ransomware forensics documentation to combat future ransomware assaults, assist in the recovery of encrypted data, and comply with insurance and governmental mandates.
Ransomware forensics involves tracking and describing the ransomware assault's storyline throughout the network from start to finish. This audit trail of how a ransomware assault travelled within the network helps you to evaluate the impact and brings to light vulnerabilities in policies or processes that should be corrected to avoid future breaches. Forensic analysis is commonly assigned a top priority by the insurance carrier and is typically mandated by state and industry regulations. Because forensic analysis can be time consuming, it is essential that other key activities like operational continuity are pursued in parallel. Progent has a large team of IT and cybersecurity experts with the knowledge and experience needed to carry out the work of containment, operational resumption, and data restoration without interfering with forensics.
Ransomware forensics investigation is complex and requires close interaction with the teams focused on data cleanup and, if necessary, payment negotiation with the ransomware Threat Actor. Ransomware forensics can involve the examination of logs, registry, Group Policy Object, Active Directory (AD), DNS servers, routers, firewalls, schedulers, and core Windows systems to check for changes.
Services involved with forensics include:
- Disconnect without shutting off all potentially suspect devices from the network. This may require closing all Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) ports and Internet facing network-attached storage, changing admin credentials and user passwords, and setting up 2FA to secure your backups.
- Preserve forensically valid duplicates of all suspect devices so the data restoration group can proceed
- Save firewall, VPN, and additional critical logs as quickly as possible
- Identify the variety of ransomware involved in the assault
- Examine every computer and storage device on the system including cloud storage for indications of compromise
- Catalog all encrypted devices
- Establish the kind of ransomware involved in the attack
- Study logs and user sessions to determine the timeline of the ransomware assault and to spot any possible sideways movement from the first compromised machine
- Identify the attack vectors exploited to perpetrate the ransomware attack
- Search for new executables associated with the first encrypted files or network compromise
- Parse Outlook PST files
- Examine attachments
- Separate URLs from email messages and check to see if they are malicious
- Produce detailed incident documentation to satisfy your insurance carrier and compliance regulations
- List recommended improvements to shore up security gaps and enforce processes that lower the risk of a future ransomware breach
Progent has provided remote and onsite IT services across the United States for more than 20 years and has been awarded Microsoft's Gold Partner certification in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity practice areas. Progent's team of subject matter experts (SBEs) includes consultants who have earned high-level certifications in foundation technology platforms such as Cisco networking, VMware, and popular Linux distros. Progent's cybersecurity experts have earned industry-recognized certifications including CISM, CISSP, and GIAC. (See Progent's certifications). Progent also has guidance in financial management and ERP applications. This broad array of skills allows Progent to identify and consolidate the surviving parts of your network after a ransomware attack and reconstruct them quickly into a viable network. Progent has worked with top cyber insurance providers including Chubb to assist organizations clean up after ransomware assaults.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Investigation Expertise in Baton Rouge
To learn more about how Progent can assist your Baton Rouge business with ransomware forensics analysis, call 1-800-462-8800 or see Contact Progent.