Progent's Ransomware Forensics Investigation and Reporting in Birmingham
Progent's ransomware forensics experts can save the system state after a ransomware attack and carry out a comprehensive forensics analysis without interfering with activity related to operational resumption and data recovery. Your Birmingham organization can utilize Progent's ransomware forensics report to combat future ransomware attacks, assist in the cleanup of encrypted data, and comply with insurance and governmental reporting requirements.
Ransomware forensics investigation involves determining and describing the ransomware assault's storyline throughout the network from start to finish. This audit trail of how a ransomware assault progressed within the network helps your IT staff to assess the damage and highlights gaps in rules or processes that need to be corrected to avoid future breaches. Forensic analysis is usually assigned a top priority by the insurance carrier and is typically mandated by government and industry regulations. Because forensic analysis can take time, it is essential that other key recovery processes like business resumption are executed in parallel. Progent maintains an extensive roster of IT and data security professionals with the knowledge and experience required to carry out the work of containment, business continuity, and data restoration without disrupting forensic analysis.
Ransomware forensics analysis is time consuming and requires close interaction with the groups assigned to file recovery and, if needed, settlement talks with the ransomware Threat Actor (TA). Ransomware forensics typically involve the review of logs, registry, GPO, Active Directory, DNS servers, routers, firewalls, schedulers, and core Windows systems to check for changes.
Services associated with forensics include:
- Disconnect without shutting down all possibly suspect devices from the system. This may involve closing all RDP ports and Internet connected network-attached storage, changing admin credentials and user passwords, and implementing two-factor authentication to guard backups.
- Create forensically complete images of all exposed devices so the data recovery team can proceed
- Preserve firewall, virtual private network, and other key logs as soon as feasible
- Determine the kind of ransomware used in the attack
- Examine every machine and data store on the network including cloud-hosted storage for signs of encryption
- Inventory all encrypted devices
- Establish the type of ransomware involved in the attack
- Study logs and sessions to determine the timeline of the assault and to spot any possible lateral migration from the originally compromised system
- Understand the attack vectors used to carry out the ransomware attack
- Look for the creation of executables surrounding the original encrypted files or network breach
- Parse Outlook PST files
- Analyze email attachments
- Extract URLs embedded in email messages and determine if they are malware
- Provide extensive attack documentation to satisfy your insurance carrier and compliance requirements
- Document recommended improvements to shore up cybersecurity gaps and enforce workflows that reduce the exposure to a future ransomware breach
Progent has provided online and on-premises network services throughout the U.S. for more than two decades and has earned Microsoft's Gold Partner designation in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity practice areas. Progent's roster of subject matter experts (SMEs) includes professionals who have been awarded high-level certifications in foundation technologies such as Cisco infrastructure, VMware virtualization, and popular Linux distros. Progent's data security experts have earned industry-recognized certifications including CISA, CISSP, and CRISC. (Refer to Progent's certifications). Progent also has guidance in financial and ERP application software. This broad array of skills allows Progent to salvage and consolidate the surviving pieces of your IT environment after a ransomware attack and reconstruct them quickly into a functioning system. Progent has collaborated with top insurance carriers like Chubb to assist organizations clean up after ransomware attacks.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Services in Birmingham
To find out more about how Progent can help your Birmingham organization with ransomware forensics investigation, call 1-800-462-8800 or visit Contact Progent.