Overview of Progent's Ransomware Forensics Investigation and Reporting Services in Birmingham
Progent's ransomware forensics experts can preserve the evidence of a ransomware attack and perform a detailed forensics analysis without interfering with the processes related to operational continuity and data recovery. Your Birmingham organization can utilize Progent's forensics report to block future ransomware attacks, validate the cleanup of encrypted data, and comply with insurance and regulatory requirements.
Ransomware forensics investigation involves discovering and documenting the ransomware assault's progress across the targeted network from beginning to end. This audit trail of the way a ransomware attack progressed through the network helps your IT staff to assess the damage and highlights gaps in rules or work habits that need to be rectified to prevent future breaches. Forensics is typically assigned a high priority by the cyber insurance provider and is typically mandated by government and industry regulations. Because forensics can take time, it is essential that other key activities like operational resumption are executed concurrently. Progent maintains a large team of IT and data security professionals with the skills required to perform activities for containment, operational continuity, and data recovery without interfering with forensic analysis.
Ransomware forensics investigation is complicated and requires intimate cooperation with the groups focused on file cleanup and, if needed, payment talks with the ransomware Threat Actor (TA). Ransomware forensics can involve the examination of logs, registry, GPO, Active Directory, DNS servers, routers, firewalls, scheduled tasks, and basic Windows systems to check for variations.
Services associated with forensics analysis include:
- Detach without shutting down all potentially affected devices from the system. This may require closing all Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) ports and Internet facing NAS storage, changing admin credentials and user passwords, and setting up two-factor authentication to guard your backups.
- Copy forensically sound duplicates of all exposed devices so the data restoration group can get started
- Preserve firewall, virtual private network, and additional critical logs as quickly as feasible
- Determine the version of ransomware involved in the attack
- Inspect every machine and data store on the network including cloud storage for signs of encryption
- Inventory all compromised devices
- Establish the type of ransomware involved in the attack
- Study log activity and sessions to establish the time frame of the ransomware attack and to spot any potential lateral migration from the first infected machine
- Identify the attack vectors used to carry out the ransomware assault
- Search for new executables surrounding the first encrypted files or network breach
- Parse Outlook web archives
- Analyze email attachments
- Extract any URLs embedded in email messages and determine if they are malicious
- Provide comprehensive incident documentation to meet your insurance carrier and compliance regulations
- Document recommendations to close cybersecurity vulnerabilities and improve processes that lower the exposure to a future ransomware breach
Progent has provided remote and on-premises IT services across the United States for more than two decades and has been awarded Microsoft's Gold Partner designation in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity practice areas. Progent's team of subject matter experts includes professionals who have earned high-level certifications in core technologies such as Cisco networking, VMware, and major Linux distros. Progent's cybersecurity consultants have earned internationally recognized certifications such as CISA, CISSP, and GIAC. (Refer to Progent's certifications). Progent also offers top-tier support in financial and Enterprise Resource Planning software. This scope of skills allows Progent to identify and integrate the undamaged pieces of your information system after a ransomware intrusion and reconstruct them rapidly into a viable system. Progent has collaborated with top insurance carriers like Chubb to help businesses clean up after ransomware attacks.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Analysis Services in Birmingham
To learn more about how Progent can assist your Birmingham business with ransomware forensics, call 1-800-462-8800 or see Contact Progent.