Overview of Progent's Ransomware Forensics Investigation and Reporting in Birmingham
Progent's ransomware forensics experts can capture the system state after a ransomware attack and perform a comprehensive forensics analysis without disrupting activity required for operational continuity and data restoration. Your Birmingham business can use Progent's post-attack ransomware forensics report to block future ransomware attacks, validate the recovery of encrypted data, and meet insurance carrier and governmental reporting requirements.
Ransomware forensics investigation involves discovering and describing the ransomware attack's progress throughout the targeted network from start to finish. This audit trail of how a ransomware assault travelled through the network assists you to assess the impact and uncovers shortcomings in security policies or processes that should be rectified to prevent future break-ins. Forensics is typically given a high priority by the cyber insurance provider and is often mandated by state and industry regulations. Since forensics can take time, it is essential that other important activities like business continuity are executed in parallel. Progent has an extensive roster of information technology and data security professionals with the knowledge and experience needed to perform activities for containment, business resumption, and data recovery without disrupting forensics.
Ransomware forensics analysis is time consuming and requires close cooperation with the teams responsible for data recovery and, if necessary, settlement negotiation with the ransomware Threat Actor (TA). forensics typically require the review of logs, registry, GPO, Active Directory, DNS servers, routers, firewalls, schedulers, and core Windows systems to look for variations.
Services associated with forensics include:
- Isolate without shutting off all possibly suspect devices from the system. This can involve closing all Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) ports and Internet connected network-attached storage, modifying admin credentials and user PWs, and setting up 2FA to guard your backups.
- Copy forensically sound duplicates of all exposed devices so the file recovery team can proceed
- Save firewall, VPN, and other critical logs as soon as feasible
- Determine the variety of ransomware involved in the attack
- Inspect every computer and storage device on the system including cloud-hosted storage for signs of compromise
- Inventory all compromised devices
- Determine the type of ransomware involved in the assault
- Study log activity and sessions in order to establish the timeline of the ransomware attack and to identify any potential sideways movement from the first infected machine
- Identify the attack vectors used to carry out the ransomware assault
- Look for the creation of executables associated with the original encrypted files or system compromise
- Parse Outlook web archives
- Examine email attachments
- Extract URLs from email messages and check to see whether they are malware
- Produce detailed attack reporting to meet your insurance carrier and compliance mandates
- Suggest recommendations to shore up security gaps and enforce workflows that lower the exposure to a future ransomware exploit
Progent has provided remote and on-premises network services throughout the United States for over 20 years and has been awarded Microsoft's Gold Partner certification in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity competencies. Progent's roster of subject matter experts (SBEs) includes consultants who have been awarded high-level certifications in core technology platforms including Cisco networking, VMware virtualization, and popular distributions of Linux. Progent's cybersecurity experts have earned industry-recognized certifications such as CISA, CISSP, and GIAC. (See Progent's certifications). Progent also has top-tier support in financial and Enterprise Resource Planning applications. This scope of skills gives Progent the ability to identify and consolidate the undamaged pieces of your information system following a ransomware intrusion and rebuild them quickly into an operational network. Progent has collaborated with leading cyber insurance carriers like Chubb to assist businesses clean up after ransomware attacks.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Investigation Services in Birmingham
To find out more information about how Progent can assist your Birmingham organization with ransomware forensics, call 1-800-462-8800 or visit Contact Progent.