Overview of Progent's Ransomware Forensics and Reporting in Birmingham
Progent's ransomware forensics experts can save the evidence of a ransomware attack and carry out a comprehensive forensics analysis without disrupting activity related to business resumption and data recovery. Your Birmingham organization can utilize Progent's forensics documentation to combat subsequent ransomware assaults, validate the recovery of encrypted data, and comply with insurance carrier and governmental mandates.
Ransomware forensics analysis involves discovering and describing the ransomware attack's storyline across the network from start to finish. This audit trail of the way a ransomware attack progressed through the network helps your IT staff to assess the damage and highlights gaps in policies or processes that should be corrected to avoid later break-ins. Forensic analysis is commonly given a high priority by the insurance provider and is often required by government and industry regulations. Since forensics can be time consuming, it is critical that other key activities such as business resumption are performed concurrently. Progent maintains an extensive team of IT and cybersecurity experts with the skills required to carry out the work of containment, business continuity, and data recovery without interfering with forensic analysis.
Ransomware forensics analysis is time consuming and requires intimate cooperation with the groups assigned to file restoration and, if needed, payment negotiation with the ransomware hacker. Ransomware forensics can require the review of all logs, registry, Group Policy Object (GPO), Active Directory (AD), DNS, routers, firewalls, scheduled tasks, and core Windows systems to detect variations.
Services involved with forensics include:
- Detach without shutting off all potentially impacted devices from the network. This may require closing all RDP ports and Internet facing network-attached storage, changing admin credentials and user PWs, and implementing two-factor authentication to protect backups.
- Preserve forensically complete digital images of all suspect devices so your file restoration team can proceed
- Preserve firewall, virtual private network, and additional key logs as soon as feasible
- Identify the type of ransomware used in the assault
- Inspect each computer and data store on the network including cloud-hosted storage for signs of encryption
- Catalog all compromised devices
- Establish the kind of ransomware involved in the attack
- Review logs and sessions to establish the time frame of the assault and to spot any possible lateral migration from the first infected system
- Identify the attack vectors used to perpetrate the ransomware assault
- Search for new executables associated with the first encrypted files or system breach
- Parse Outlook PST files
- Analyze email attachments
- Extract any URLs from email messages and determine if they are malicious
- Provide comprehensive incident reporting to satisfy your insurance carrier and compliance mandates
- List recommendations to shore up cybersecurity gaps and enforce workflows that reduce the exposure to a future ransomware exploit
Progent has delivered remote and onsite network services throughout the United States for more than 20 years and has been awarded Microsoft's Gold Partner designation in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity practice areas. Progent's roster of SMEs includes professionals who have been awarded advanced certifications in foundation technology platforms such as Cisco infrastructure, VMware virtualization, and popular Linux distros. Progent's cybersecurity consultants have earned industry-recognized certifications including CISA, CISSP, and CRISC. (Refer to Progent's certifications). Progent also offers top-tier support in financial management and Enterprise Resource Planning applications. This breadth of expertise allows Progent to salvage and consolidate the surviving parts of your network after a ransomware intrusion and reconstruct them quickly into a viable system. Progent has collaborated with leading cyber insurance carriers including Chubb to assist organizations recover from ransomware attacks.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Investigation Services in Birmingham
To learn more about how Progent can assist your Birmingham organization with ransomware forensics investigation, call 1-800-462-8800 or see Contact Progent.