Overview of Progent's Ransomware Forensics and Reporting in Birmingham
Progent's ransomware forensics consultants can capture the evidence of a ransomware assault and perform a comprehensive forensics investigation without disrupting activity related to operational resumption and data restoration. Your Birmingham organization can use Progent's post-attack ransomware forensics documentation to block future ransomware attacks, assist in the recovery of lost data, and meet insurance and regulatory reporting requirements.
Ransomware forensics investigation involves tracking and documenting the ransomware attack's progress across the targeted network from beginning to end. This history of how a ransomware assault travelled within the network helps you to evaluate the damage and highlights gaps in rules or work habits that need to be rectified to prevent later break-ins. Forensics is commonly assigned a high priority by the insurance provider and is typically mandated by state and industry regulations. Since forensics can take time, it is critical that other important recovery processes such as operational resumption are performed in parallel. Progent has an extensive team of IT and security professionals with the skills required to carry out activities for containment, operational resumption, and data recovery without interfering with forensics.
Ransomware forensics investigation is time consuming and calls for close cooperation with the teams focused on file restoration and, if necessary, settlement negotiation with the ransomware Threat Actor. Ransomware forensics typically involve the review of logs, registry, Group Policy Object (GPO), Active Directory, DNS servers, routers, firewalls, scheduled tasks, and basic Windows systems to look for changes.
Services associated with forensics include:
- Isolate but avoid shutting off all possibly impacted devices from the system. This may require closing all Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) ports and Internet connected NAS storage, changing admin credentials and user passwords, and implementing two-factor authentication to protect backups.
- Capture forensically sound duplicates of all suspect devices so the data recovery group can proceed
- Save firewall, VPN, and additional key logs as soon as feasible
- Establish the kind of ransomware involved in the assault
- Examine every computer and data store on the network including cloud-hosted storage for indications of encryption
- Inventory all compromised devices
- Establish the kind of ransomware involved in the attack
- Study logs and sessions in order to establish the timeline of the ransomware attack and to spot any potential lateral migration from the first infected machine
- Identify the security gaps exploited to perpetrate the ransomware assault
- Look for new executables surrounding the original encrypted files or system compromise
- Parse Outlook PST files
- Analyze attachments
- Separate any URLs from messages and check to see whether they are malicious
- Produce detailed incident documentation to meet your insurance and compliance regulations
- Document recommended improvements to close security vulnerabilities and enforce workflows that lower the risk of a future ransomware exploit
Progent has provided remote and onsite network services throughout the United States for more than two decades and has earned Microsoft's Gold Partner certification in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity competencies. Progent's team of subject matter experts (SMEs) includes consultants who have earned high-level certifications in foundation technology platforms such as Cisco infrastructure, VMware, and popular Linux distros. Progent's cybersecurity experts have earned industry-recognized certifications such as CISA, CISSP, and CRISC. (Refer to certifications earned by Progent consultants). Progent also offers top-tier support in financial management and Enterprise Resource Planning applications. This breadth of skills gives Progent the ability to identify and consolidate the surviving pieces of your network following a ransomware intrusion and rebuild them quickly into a functioning system. Progent has collaborated with top insurance providers including Chubb to assist businesses clean up after ransomware attacks.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Services in Birmingham
To learn more information about ways Progent can assist your Birmingham organization with ransomware forensics analysis, call 1-800-462-8800 or see Contact Progent.