Progent's Ransomware Forensics Analysis and Reporting in Birmingham
Progent's ransomware forensics experts can preserve the evidence of a ransomware assault and carry out a detailed forensics analysis without interfering with activity related to business resumption and data recovery. Your Birmingham business can use Progent's post-attack ransomware forensics documentation to counter future ransomware assaults, validate the cleanup of encrypted data, and meet insurance carrier and governmental requirements.
Ransomware forensics investigation involves discovering and documenting the ransomware assault's storyline throughout the targeted network from start to finish. This audit trail of how a ransomware assault progressed through the network assists you to evaluate the damage and brings to light gaps in security policies or processes that should be rectified to avoid future break-ins. Forensics is commonly assigned a top priority by the insurance provider and is typically mandated by government and industry regulations. Since forensic analysis can take time, it is essential that other key activities such as operational continuity are pursued concurrently. Progent has a large team of information technology and security professionals with the skills required to carry out activities for containment, business continuity, and data restoration without interfering with forensic analysis.
Ransomware forensics investigation is time consuming and calls for close interaction with the groups focused on file cleanup and, if necessary, payment discussions with the ransomware Threat Actor. forensics typically involve the review of logs, registry, GPO, Active Directory (AD), DNS servers, routers, firewalls, scheduled tasks, and core Windows systems to check for anomalies.
Activities involved with forensics analysis include:
- Disconnect but avoid shutting down all potentially affected devices from the network. This may involve closing all RDP ports and Internet connected NAS storage, changing admin credentials and user passwords, and setting up 2FA to guard your backups.
- Capture forensically sound images of all exposed devices so the file restoration group can get started
- Save firewall, virtual private network, and other key logs as quickly as feasible
- Determine the kind of ransomware involved in the assault
- Inspect each machine and data store on the system including cloud storage for signs of encryption
- Catalog all encrypted devices
- Establish the kind of ransomware involved in the attack
- Review logs and sessions to establish the timeline of the assault and to identify any potential lateral migration from the originally compromised system
- Identify the attack vectors exploited to perpetrate the ransomware assault
- Look for new executables associated with the first encrypted files or system breach
- Parse Outlook web archives
- Analyze email attachments
- Separate any URLs from messages and determine if they are malware
- Produce extensive incident documentation to meet your insurance and compliance mandates
- List recommended improvements to shore up security vulnerabilities and enforce workflows that reduce the risk of a future ransomware exploit
Progent has delivered remote and onsite IT services across the U.S. for over two decades and has been awarded Microsoft's Gold Partner designation in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity practice areas. Progent's team of SBEs includes consultants who have earned high-level certifications in core technology platforms including Cisco networking, VMware virtualization, and major distributions of Linux. Progent's data security consultants have earned industry-recognized certifications including CISM, CISSP-ISSAP, and GIAC. (Refer to Progent's certifications). Progent also has top-tier support in financial management and ERP applications. This breadth of expertise gives Progent the ability to identify and consolidate the surviving pieces of your information system following a ransomware intrusion and rebuild them quickly into a functioning system. Progent has worked with leading cyber insurance carriers including Chubb to assist businesses recover from ransomware assaults.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Analysis Expertise in Birmingham
To find out more information about ways Progent can assist your Birmingham business with ransomware forensics, call 1-800-462-8800 or see Contact Progent.