Overview of Progent's Ransomware Forensics Analysis and Reporting Services in Brooklyn
Progent's ransomware forensics experts can capture the system state after a ransomware attack and carry out a comprehensive forensics analysis without disrupting activity related to business continuity and data recovery. Your Brooklyn organization can utilize Progent's ransomware forensics documentation to counter future ransomware assaults, validate the restoration of lost data, and meet insurance carrier and governmental reporting requirements.
Ransomware forensics analysis is aimed at tracking and documenting the ransomware assault's progress throughout the targeted network from start to finish. This audit trail of the way a ransomware assault travelled through the network helps you to assess the impact and uncovers vulnerabilities in policies or work habits that should be corrected to avoid later breaches. Forensics is commonly assigned a high priority by the insurance carrier and is typically mandated by government and industry regulations. Because forensic analysis can be time consuming, it is vital that other important activities like operational continuity are pursued concurrently. Progent has a large roster of IT and security experts with the skills required to perform the work of containment, business resumption, and data restoration without interfering with forensics.
Ransomware forensics is arduous and requires close cooperation with the teams assigned to file restoration and, if necessary, payment negotiation with the ransomware Threat Actor. Ransomware forensics can involve the review of all logs, registry, GPO, Active Directory (AD), DNS, routers, firewalls, scheduled tasks, and basic Windows systems to check for changes.
Services associated with forensics include:
- Detach without shutting off all potentially suspect devices from the network. This can require closing all RDP ports and Internet facing NAS storage, modifying admin credentials and user passwords, and configuring two-factor authentication to secure backups.
- Preserve forensically sound digital images of all suspect devices so the data restoration group can get started
- Preserve firewall, virtual private network, and additional key logs as soon as feasible
- Determine the kind of ransomware used in the attack
- Inspect each computer and storage device on the network including cloud-hosted storage for signs of encryption
- Catalog all encrypted devices
- Determine the type of ransomware used in the assault
- Study log activity and user sessions to determine the timeline of the attack and to identify any possible sideways migration from the originally compromised machine
- Identify the attack vectors used to perpetrate the ransomware attack
- Look for new executables associated with the first encrypted files or network breach
- Parse Outlook PST files
- Examine email attachments
- Extract any URLs from email messages and determine if they are malware
- Produce detailed incident documentation to satisfy your insurance and compliance mandates
- Suggest recommendations to close security gaps and enforce processes that reduce the exposure to a future ransomware exploit
Progent has delivered online and on-premises IT services across the United States for over two decades and has earned Microsoft's Gold Partner certification in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity practice areas. Progent's roster of subject matter experts (SBEs) includes consultants who have earned high-level certifications in core technology platforms such as Cisco networking, VMware, and major Linux distros. Progent's data security experts have earned prestigious certifications such as CISM, CISSP, and GIAC. (See Progent's certifications). Progent also offers guidance in financial and Enterprise Resource Planning applications. This scope of skills gives Progent the ability to salvage and consolidate the surviving pieces of your network after a ransomware attack and rebuild them rapidly into a viable network. Progent has collaborated with leading cyber insurance carriers including Chubb to help businesses recover from ransomware assaults.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Analysis Expertise in Brooklyn
To learn more information about ways Progent can assist your Brooklyn business with ransomware forensics, call 1-800-993-9400 or visit Contact Progent.