Progent's Ransomware Forensics Analysis and Reporting in Broomfield
Progent's ransomware forensics consultants can save the system state after a ransomware assault and carry out a comprehensive forensics analysis without disrupting activity related to business resumption and data restoration. Your Broomfield organization can use Progent's post-attack forensics documentation to block future ransomware assaults, validate the restoration of lost data, and comply with insurance and regulatory reporting requirements.
Ransomware forensics is aimed at tracking and describing the ransomware assault's progress across the network from beginning to end. This audit trail of how a ransomware attack travelled within the network assists your IT staff to assess the impact and highlights weaknesses in security policies or work habits that should be rectified to prevent later breaches. Forensic analysis is commonly assigned a top priority by the cyber insurance carrier and is typically required by government and industry regulations. Since forensic analysis can be time consuming, it is essential that other key recovery processes such as operational resumption are pursued in parallel. Progent maintains an extensive team of IT and cybersecurity experts with the knowledge and experience needed to perform the work of containment, operational resumption, and data recovery without disrupting forensics.
Ransomware forensics is complex and calls for intimate interaction with the teams assigned to data cleanup and, if necessary, settlement talks with the ransomware hacker. forensics can require the review of logs, registry, Group Policy Object (GPO), Active Directory, DNS servers, routers, firewalls, schedulers, and basic Windows systems to check for changes.
Activities associated with forensics investigation include:
- Isolate but avoid shutting off all potentially affected devices from the network. This may involve closing all Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) ports and Internet facing NAS storage, modifying admin credentials and user passwords, and implementing 2FA to guard backups.
- Create forensically valid duplicates of all exposed devices so the data recovery group can proceed
- Preserve firewall, virtual private network, and other critical logs as soon as possible
- Identify the strain of ransomware involved in the assault
- Survey every computer and storage device on the system including cloud storage for signs of encryption
- Catalog all encrypted devices
- Establish the kind of ransomware involved in the assault
- Review logs and user sessions in order to determine the timeline of the attack and to identify any potential sideways migration from the first compromised system
- Understand the security gaps exploited to carry out the ransomware assault
- Look for new executables surrounding the original encrypted files or system compromise
- Parse Outlook PST files
- Analyze attachments
- Extract any URLs embedded in messages and check to see whether they are malicious
- Provide detailed incident reporting to meet your insurance carrier and compliance requirements
- Suggest recommendations to close cybersecurity vulnerabilities and enforce workflows that lower the risk of a future ransomware breach
Progent has provided online and onsite network services across the U.S. for over 20 years and has been awarded Microsoft's Gold Partner certification in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity practice areas. Progent's team of subject matter experts includes professionals who have earned advanced certifications in core technologies including Cisco infrastructure, VMware virtualization, and major distributions of Linux. Progent's data security experts have earned internationally recognized certifications such as CISM, CISSP, and GIAC. (See certifications earned by Progent consultants). Progent also offers top-tier support in financial management and ERP software. This scope of skills allows Progent to identify and integrate the surviving pieces of your network following a ransomware attack and reconstruct them rapidly into an operational network. Progent has collaborated with leading insurance providers like Chubb to assist organizations clean up after ransomware attacks.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Analysis Expertise in Broomfield
To find out more information about how Progent can help your Broomfield business with ransomware forensics, call 1-800-462-8800 or visit Contact Progent.