Progent's Ransomware Forensics and Reporting in Buffalo
Progent's ransomware forensics experts can capture the evidence of a ransomware assault and carry out a detailed forensics analysis without slowing down activity required for business continuity and data restoration. Your Buffalo organization can use Progent's forensics report to counter future ransomware attacks, validate the cleanup of encrypted data, and meet insurance and governmental requirements.
Ransomware forensics investigation is aimed at determining and documenting the ransomware attack's storyline across the targeted network from beginning to end. This history of how a ransomware assault travelled within the network helps your IT staff to assess the damage and uncovers weaknesses in rules or processes that should be rectified to avoid future breaches. Forensics is usually given a top priority by the cyber insurance carrier and is typically required by government and industry regulations. Because forensics can take time, it is essential that other important activities such as operational resumption are pursued in parallel. Progent has an extensive roster of IT and security experts with the knowledge and experience needed to carry out the work of containment, business resumption, and data restoration without interfering with forensics.
Ransomware forensics analysis is complicated and requires close interaction with the teams assigned to data cleanup and, if needed, settlement negotiation with the ransomware Threat Actor. forensics can involve the review of logs, registry, GPO, Active Directory (AD), DNS servers, routers, firewalls, scheduled tasks, and basic Windows systems to look for variations.
Activities associated with forensics analysis include:
- Detach but avoid shutting down all possibly suspect devices from the network. This can require closing all RDP ports and Internet facing NAS storage, modifying admin credentials and user PWs, and implementing 2FA to secure your backups.
- Create forensically complete images of all exposed devices so the file restoration team can get started
- Preserve firewall, VPN, and additional key logs as quickly as feasible
- Identify the strain of ransomware used in the assault
- Inspect each machine and storage device on the network including cloud-hosted storage for signs of compromise
- Catalog all encrypted devices
- Establish the kind of ransomware involved in the assault
- Review log activity and sessions in order to establish the timeline of the assault and to identify any possible lateral movement from the originally infected machine
- Identify the security gaps exploited to perpetrate the ransomware assault
- Search for the creation of executables associated with the original encrypted files or system breach
- Parse Outlook web archives
- Analyze attachments
- Separate URLs from messages and determine if they are malicious
- Provide detailed incident reporting to meet your insurance and compliance requirements
- List recommendations to shore up cybersecurity gaps and enforce processes that reduce the risk of a future ransomware breach
Progent has delivered remote and onsite network services throughout the U.S. for more than two decades and has been awarded Microsoft's Gold Partner certification in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity practice areas. Progent's team of subject matter experts includes consultants who have earned high-level certifications in foundation technologies including Cisco networking, VMware, and popular Linux distros. Progent's cybersecurity experts have earned prestigious certifications including CISA, CISSP-ISSAP, and GIAC. (See certifications earned by Progent consultants). Progent also has guidance in financial and Enterprise Resource Planning application software. This scope of expertise allows Progent to salvage and integrate the undamaged pieces of your IT environment following a ransomware attack and rebuild them quickly into a viable network. Progent has worked with top cyber insurance carriers including Chubb to help organizations recover from ransomware attacks.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Investigation Services in Buffalo
To learn more information about how Progent can help your Buffalo organization with ransomware forensics, call 1-800-462-8800 or visit Contact Progent.