Overview of Progent's Ransomware Forensics and Reporting Services in Buffalo
Progent's ransomware forensics experts can save the evidence of a ransomware attack and carry out a detailed forensics analysis without interfering with the processes related to business resumption and data restoration. Your Buffalo organization can use Progent's forensics documentation to combat future ransomware assaults, validate the recovery of encrypted data, and comply with insurance and governmental mandates.
Ransomware forensics analysis is aimed at determining and documenting the ransomware attack's progress throughout the targeted network from start to finish. This audit trail of the way a ransomware assault travelled through the network helps your IT staff to assess the impact and uncovers shortcomings in policies or processes that should be rectified to avoid later breaches. Forensics is typically assigned a top priority by the insurance carrier and is typically required by state and industry regulations. Because forensic analysis can be time consuming, it is vital that other key recovery processes like business continuity are pursued concurrently. Progent has a large roster of information technology and security professionals with the skills needed to perform the work of containment, business continuity, and data restoration without disrupting forensic analysis.
Ransomware forensics is complicated and calls for intimate interaction with the teams responsible for data restoration and, if necessary, payment negotiation with the ransomware Threat Actor. Ransomware forensics can require the examination of logs, registry, Group Policy Object, Active Directory (AD), DNS servers, routers, firewalls, scheduled tasks, and core Windows systems to check for changes.
Services associated with forensics analysis include:
- Detach without shutting off all possibly suspect devices from the system. This can require closing all Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) ports and Internet facing network-attached storage, modifying admin credentials and user passwords, and implementing 2FA to guard your backups.
- Create forensically complete duplicates of all suspect devices so your file recovery team can get started
- Preserve firewall, virtual private network, and other critical logs as soon as possible
- Establish the version of ransomware involved in the assault
- Inspect each machine and data store on the network including cloud-hosted storage for indications of encryption
- Catalog all compromised devices
- Establish the type of ransomware used in the assault
- Study logs and sessions to determine the time frame of the ransomware assault and to identify any potential sideways migration from the originally compromised system
- Identify the security gaps exploited to carry out the ransomware assault
- Look for the creation of executables associated with the original encrypted files or network breach
- Parse Outlook PST files
- Examine attachments
- Extract URLs from email messages and determine if they are malware
- Produce extensive incident reporting to satisfy your insurance and compliance mandates
- Document recommendations to shore up cybersecurity gaps and improve workflows that lower the exposure to a future ransomware breach
Progent has delivered online and on-premises IT services across the United States for over 20 years and has been awarded Microsoft's Gold Partner certification in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity practice areas. Progent's roster of SBEs includes consultants who have been awarded high-level certifications in core technology platforms such as Cisco infrastructure, VMware, and popular distributions of Linux. Progent's cybersecurity consultants have earned industry-recognized certifications including CISA, CISSP, and GIAC. (See Progent's certifications). Progent also has guidance in financial and ERP software. This broad array of expertise gives Progent the ability to salvage and integrate the surviving pieces of your IT environment following a ransomware assault and rebuild them quickly into a functioning network. Progent has worked with leading cyber insurance providers like Chubb to assist organizations clean up after ransomware assaults.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Expertise in Buffalo
To find out more information about how Progent can help your Buffalo organization with ransomware forensics analysis, call 1-800-462-8800 or see Contact Progent.