Progent's Ransomware Forensics Investigation and Reporting in Buffalo
Progent's ransomware forensics experts can capture the system state after a ransomware attack and perform a detailed forensics investigation without impeding activity required for business resumption and data restoration. Your Buffalo business can use Progent's post-attack forensics documentation to block future ransomware attacks, assist in the recovery of encrypted data, and meet insurance carrier and regulatory mandates.
Ransomware forensics analysis involves determining and documenting the ransomware attack's progress across the network from beginning to end. This audit trail of the way a ransomware assault travelled within the network assists your IT staff to assess the damage and brings to light gaps in security policies or work habits that need to be rectified to avoid future break-ins. Forensic analysis is typically given a high priority by the insurance carrier and is typically required by government and industry regulations. Since forensic analysis can be time consuming, it is essential that other important activities like operational continuity are pursued in parallel. Progent has an extensive team of IT and security experts with the skills required to carry out activities for containment, operational resumption, and data restoration without disrupting forensics.
Ransomware forensics is time consuming and calls for close cooperation with the groups focused on file cleanup and, if necessary, payment discussions with the ransomware Threat Actor. Ransomware forensics can involve the review of all logs, registry, GPO, Active Directory (AD), DNS, routers, firewalls, scheduled tasks, and core Windows systems to check for anomalies.
Activities involved with forensics include:
- Disconnect without shutting down all possibly impacted devices from the system. This can require closing all RDP ports and Internet facing network-attached storage, modifying admin credentials and user passwords, and implementing 2FA to guard your backups.
- Capture forensically valid digital images of all suspect devices so the file recovery team can get started
- Preserve firewall, VPN, and other critical logs as quickly as possible
- Identify the kind of ransomware involved in the assault
- Inspect each computer and storage device on the system including cloud-hosted storage for signs of compromise
- Inventory all encrypted devices
- Determine the kind of ransomware used in the attack
- Review log activity and sessions to determine the timeline of the ransomware assault and to identify any potential sideways movement from the first compromised system
- Understand the security gaps used to carry out the ransomware assault
- Look for the creation of executables associated with the first encrypted files or system breach
- Parse Outlook web archives
- Examine email attachments
- Separate any URLs embedded in messages and check to see whether they are malware
- Produce detailed incident reporting to satisfy your insurance and compliance mandates
- Suggest recommendations to shore up cybersecurity gaps and improve workflows that reduce the exposure to a future ransomware exploit
Progent has delivered online and onsite IT services throughout the United States for over 20 years and has earned Microsoft's Gold Partner certification in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity competencies. Progent's roster of subject matter experts (SBEs) includes professionals who have earned high-level certifications in foundation technologies including Cisco networking, VMware, and popular distributions of Linux. Progent's data security consultants have earned prestigious certifications including CISA, CISSP, and CRISC. (Refer to certifications earned by Progent consultants). Progent also offers top-tier support in financial and Enterprise Resource Planning application software. This broad array of expertise gives Progent the ability to identify and integrate the undamaged parts of your network following a ransomware assault and rebuild them rapidly into a functioning system. Progent has collaborated with leading cyber insurance carriers including Chubb to help businesses recover from ransomware attacks.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Investigation Services in Buffalo
To find out more about ways Progent can assist your Buffalo business with ransomware forensics analysis, call 1-800-993-9400 or visit Contact Progent.