Overview of Progent's Ransomware Forensics Investigation and Reporting in Buffalo
Progent's ransomware forensics experts can preserve the evidence of a ransomware assault and carry out a comprehensive forensics analysis without slowing down activity related to business resumption and data recovery. Your Buffalo organization can use Progent's post-attack ransomware forensics documentation to combat future ransomware attacks, validate the restoration of encrypted data, and meet insurance and governmental reporting requirements.
Ransomware forensics analysis is aimed at discovering and documenting the ransomware attack's storyline across the network from beginning to end. This audit trail of how a ransomware assault travelled within the network helps you to evaluate the impact and brings to light gaps in policies or processes that need to be corrected to avoid future breaches. Forensic analysis is usually assigned a top priority by the cyber insurance carrier and is often mandated by state and industry regulations. Because forensic analysis can take time, it is essential that other important recovery processes like operational continuity are pursued in parallel. Progent has a large roster of information technology and cybersecurity professionals with the knowledge and experience required to perform activities for containment, business continuity, and data restoration without disrupting forensics.
Ransomware forensics analysis is arduous and calls for intimate interaction with the groups focused on data cleanup and, if needed, payment talks with the ransomware Threat Actor (TA). Ransomware forensics can require the review of logs, registry, Group Policy Object, AD, DNS servers, routers, firewalls, scheduled tasks, and basic Windows systems to look for changes.
Services associated with forensics investigation include:
- Detach but avoid shutting down all potentially impacted devices from the system. This can require closing all Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) ports and Internet connected NAS storage, changing admin credentials and user PWs, and setting up two-factor authentication to protect your backups.
- Copy forensically sound digital images of all exposed devices so the file recovery team can proceed
- Save firewall, virtual private network, and additional critical logs as quickly as feasible
- Determine the kind of ransomware involved in the assault
- Inspect each computer and storage device on the network including cloud storage for signs of compromise
- Inventory all encrypted devices
- Determine the kind of ransomware used in the attack
- Review logs and sessions to determine the time frame of the assault and to identify any potential sideways movement from the originally compromised machine
- Understand the security gaps exploited to perpetrate the ransomware attack
- Look for the creation of executables associated with the first encrypted files or system breach
- Parse Outlook PST files
- Examine attachments
- Separate URLs from email messages and determine if they are malicious
- Provide detailed incident reporting to meet your insurance and compliance regulations
- Suggest recommendations to close security vulnerabilities and enforce processes that lower the exposure to a future ransomware breach
Progent has provided remote and on-premises IT services across the U.S. for over 20 years and has earned Microsoft's Gold Partner designation in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity competencies. Progent's team of subject matter experts (SMEs) includes consultants who have earned advanced certifications in foundation technologies including Cisco infrastructure, VMware virtualization, and major Linux distros. Progent's data security consultants have earned prestigious certifications such as CISM, CISSP-ISSAP, and GIAC. (See certifications earned by Progent consultants). Progent also has top-tier support in financial and Enterprise Resource Planning application software. This broad array of skills gives Progent the ability to salvage and consolidate the surviving parts of your information system following a ransomware intrusion and reconstruct them rapidly into a functioning system. Progent has collaborated with leading insurance carriers like Chubb to assist businesses recover from ransomware assaults.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Analysis Services in Buffalo
To learn more about how Progent can assist your Buffalo business with ransomware forensics investigation, call 1-800-462-8800 or see Contact Progent.