Progent's Ransomware Forensics Investigation and Reporting Services in Carlsbad
Progent's ransomware forensics consultants can preserve the evidence of a ransomware attack and perform a comprehensive forensics investigation without interfering with activity required for operational continuity and data restoration. Your Carlsbad business can utilize Progent's ransomware forensics report to block future ransomware assaults, validate the recovery of encrypted data, and meet insurance carrier and governmental mandates.
Ransomware forensics analysis involves determining and documenting the ransomware attack's storyline across the targeted network from beginning to end. This audit trail of the way a ransomware assault travelled through the network helps your IT staff to assess the impact and uncovers weaknesses in policies or work habits that need to be rectified to avoid future break-ins. Forensic analysis is usually assigned a top priority by the cyber insurance provider and is typically mandated by state and industry regulations. Since forensic analysis can take time, it is vital that other key activities like business continuity are performed concurrently. Progent maintains a large roster of IT and data security professionals with the skills required to perform activities for containment, business continuity, and data recovery without interfering with forensic analysis.
Ransomware forensics investigation is complex and calls for intimate cooperation with the groups responsible for file restoration and, if needed, payment talks with the ransomware Threat Actor. Ransomware forensics typically involve the review of logs, registry, Group Policy Object, Active Directory (AD), DNS servers, routers, firewalls, schedulers, and core Windows systems to detect anomalies.
Activities associated with forensics analysis include:
- Detach without shutting down all possibly suspect devices from the network. This can require closing all Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) ports and Internet connected network-attached storage, changing admin credentials and user passwords, and setting up 2FA to guard backups.
- Capture forensically valid images of all exposed devices so the file recovery group can proceed
- Save firewall, virtual private network, and other key logs as quickly as possible
- Determine the strain of ransomware used in the attack
- Inspect each machine and storage device on the network including cloud storage for indications of compromise
- Inventory all encrypted devices
- Determine the type of ransomware used in the attack
- Study logs and user sessions in order to determine the timeline of the ransomware attack and to identify any potential sideways movement from the first compromised machine
- Identify the security gaps exploited to perpetrate the ransomware assault
- Look for new executables surrounding the original encrypted files or system compromise
- Parse Outlook web archives
- Analyze email attachments
- Separate URLs from messages and determine whether they are malicious
- Provide detailed incident documentation to satisfy your insurance carrier and compliance mandates
- List recommendations to shore up cybersecurity gaps and enforce workflows that lower the risk of a future ransomware breach
Progent has delivered remote and on-premises IT services across the U.S. for more than two decades and has been awarded Microsoft's Gold Partner certification in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity practice areas. Progent's team of subject matter experts includes professionals who have been awarded advanced certifications in core technologies including Cisco infrastructure, VMware, and popular Linux distros. Progent's cybersecurity consultants have earned prestigious certifications such as CISM, CISSP, and GIAC. (See certifications earned by Progent consultants). Progent also has guidance in financial and ERP applications. This broad array of expertise gives Progent the ability to salvage and integrate the undamaged pieces of your information system following a ransomware intrusion and reconstruct them rapidly into a viable system. Progent has collaborated with leading insurance providers like Chubb to assist organizations recover from ransomware attacks.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Analysis Expertise in Carlsbad
To find out more information about how Progent can help your Carlsbad business with ransomware forensics analysis, call 1-800-462-8800 or see Contact Progent.