Overview of Progent's Ransomware Forensics and Reporting Services in Charleston
Progent's ransomware forensics consultants can capture the system state after a ransomware assault and perform a comprehensive forensics analysis without impeding the processes related to business continuity and data recovery. Your Charleston organization can utilize Progent's post-attack forensics documentation to block future ransomware attacks, assist in the cleanup of lost data, and meet insurance carrier and regulatory requirements.
Ransomware forensics involves tracking and describing the ransomware attack's progress throughout the network from beginning to end. This audit trail of how a ransomware assault travelled within the network helps your IT staff to assess the impact and highlights weaknesses in policies or work habits that should be rectified to avoid later break-ins. Forensic analysis is typically given a top priority by the insurance carrier and is often required by state and industry regulations. Since forensic analysis can be time consuming, it is critical that other key recovery processes such as operational resumption are pursued concurrently. Progent has an extensive roster of IT and cybersecurity professionals with the knowledge and experience required to carry out activities for containment, business resumption, and data recovery without interfering with forensic analysis.
Ransomware forensics investigation is arduous and calls for close interaction with the groups responsible for file cleanup and, if necessary, payment discussions with the ransomware hacker. Ransomware forensics typically require the examination of all logs, registry, GPO, AD, DNS servers, routers, firewalls, schedulers, and core Windows systems to detect anomalies.
Services involved with forensics analysis include:
- Disconnect but avoid shutting down all potentially impacted devices from the network. This may require closing all Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) ports and Internet facing network-attached storage, modifying admin credentials and user PWs, and configuring two-factor authentication to secure your backups.
- Capture forensically complete digital images of all suspect devices so the file restoration group can get started
- Save firewall, VPN, and additional key logs as soon as possible
- Identify the version of ransomware involved in the attack
- Survey each machine and data store on the system as well as cloud-hosted storage for indications of encryption
- Catalog all encrypted devices
- Establish the kind of ransomware involved in the assault
- Study log activity and sessions to determine the time frame of the ransomware assault and to spot any potential lateral migration from the first infected machine
- Understand the security gaps exploited to carry out the ransomware attack
- Search for new executables surrounding the original encrypted files or system compromise
- Parse Outlook web archives
- Examine attachments
- Separate any URLs embedded in messages and check to see if they are malware
- Provide comprehensive attack reporting to satisfy your insurance and compliance mandates
- List recommended improvements to shore up cybersecurity vulnerabilities and enforce processes that lower the exposure to a future ransomware exploit
Progent has delivered remote and on-premises network services throughout the U.S. for more than two decades and has earned Microsoft's Gold Partner designation in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity practice areas. Progent's team of subject matter experts (SMEs) includes consultants who have earned advanced certifications in foundation technologies including Cisco networking, VMware virtualization, and major Linux distros. Progent's cybersecurity experts have earned industry-recognized certifications including CISM, CISSP-ISSAP, and CRISC. (See Progent's certifications). Progent also offers guidance in financial and Enterprise Resource Planning software. This scope of skills allows Progent to salvage and integrate the undamaged pieces of your IT environment after a ransomware attack and reconstruct them quickly into a functioning network. Progent has worked with leading cyber insurance carriers like Chubb to help businesses recover from ransomware attacks.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Expertise in Charleston
To learn more information about ways Progent can help your Charleston business with ransomware forensics, call 1-800-462-8800 or see Contact Progent.