Overview of Progent's Ransomware Forensics Analysis and Reporting in Charleston
Progent's ransomware forensics consultants can preserve the evidence of a ransomware attack and carry out a comprehensive forensics analysis without impeding activity required for operational resumption and data restoration. Your Charleston organization can utilize Progent's post-attack forensics report to counter subsequent ransomware attacks, assist in the restoration of lost data, and comply with insurance and governmental mandates.
Ransomware forensics investigation involves determining and describing the ransomware attack's progress throughout the targeted network from beginning to end. This history of how a ransomware assault progressed through the network assists you to evaluate the impact and uncovers vulnerabilities in policies or processes that should be rectified to prevent later break-ins. Forensic analysis is usually given a high priority by the insurance carrier and is typically required by state and industry regulations. Since forensic analysis can be time consuming, it is critical that other important recovery processes such as operational continuity are pursued in parallel. Progent has an extensive roster of information technology and security experts with the skills needed to perform the work of containment, business resumption, and data recovery without disrupting forensics.
Ransomware forensics is complicated and calls for intimate interaction with the teams focused on data cleanup and, if needed, settlement discussions with the ransomware Threat Actor (TA). Ransomware forensics can require the examination of logs, registry, Group Policy Object, Active Directory, DNS servers, routers, firewalls, scheduled tasks, and basic Windows systems to detect anomalies.
Activities involved with forensics investigation include:
- Detach but avoid shutting down all potentially suspect devices from the system. This may involve closing all RDP ports and Internet facing NAS storage, changing admin credentials and user PWs, and implementing 2FA to secure backups.
- Create forensically valid duplicates of all exposed devices so your data recovery group can proceed
- Save firewall, VPN, and additional critical logs as soon as feasible
- Identify the variety of ransomware used in the assault
- Survey every machine and data store on the system including cloud storage for signs of encryption
- Inventory all compromised devices
- Establish the kind of ransomware used in the assault
- Review log activity and sessions to determine the timeline of the assault and to spot any potential lateral migration from the originally infected system
- Identify the security gaps exploited to carry out the ransomware assault
- Look for new executables associated with the first encrypted files or network compromise
- Parse Outlook web archives
- Analyze attachments
- Extract any URLs from email messages and check to see whether they are malicious
- Provide comprehensive incident documentation to meet your insurance and compliance regulations
- Suggest recommendations to shore up security gaps and enforce processes that reduce the risk of a future ransomware exploit
Progent has delivered remote and onsite network services throughout the U.S. for more than two decades and has been awarded Microsoft's Gold Partner certification in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity competencies. Progent's team of subject matter experts includes professionals who have been awarded advanced certifications in foundation technology platforms including Cisco infrastructure, VMware virtualization, and major distributions of Linux. Progent's cybersecurity consultants have earned industry-recognized certifications such as CISA, CISSP, and CRISC. (See certifications earned by Progent consultants). Progent also has top-tier support in financial management and Enterprise Resource Planning applications. This breadth of skills gives Progent the ability to salvage and consolidate the surviving pieces of your network after a ransomware intrusion and reconstruct them rapidly into a functioning system. Progent has collaborated with top insurance carriers including Chubb to assist businesses clean up after ransomware assaults.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Analysis Services in Charleston
To find out more about how Progent can help your Charleston organization with ransomware forensics analysis, call 1-800-993-9400 or visit Contact Progent.