Overview of Progent's Ransomware Forensics and Reporting in Charlotte
Progent's ransomware forensics consultants can capture the system state after a ransomware attack and perform a detailed forensics analysis without disrupting the processes required for business continuity and data recovery. Your Charlotte organization can use Progent's forensics documentation to block future ransomware assaults, validate the cleanup of encrypted data, and meet insurance carrier and governmental requirements.
Ransomware forensics investigation involves determining and documenting the ransomware attack's progress across the targeted network from beginning to end. This history of the way a ransomware assault progressed through the network helps your IT staff to evaluate the damage and highlights shortcomings in security policies or processes that should be rectified to avoid future breaches. Forensics is typically given a high priority by the cyber insurance carrier and is typically required by state and industry regulations. Since forensic analysis can be time consuming, it is critical that other key recovery processes such as operational resumption are executed concurrently. Progent maintains a large roster of IT and data security professionals with the knowledge and experience needed to perform the work of containment, operational resumption, and data recovery without interfering with forensics.
Ransomware forensics investigation is arduous and requires close interaction with the teams responsible for data restoration and, if necessary, settlement discussions with the ransomware hacker. forensics typically involve the examination of logs, registry, GPO, AD, DNS, routers, firewalls, scheduled tasks, and basic Windows systems to look for changes.
Activities associated with forensics include:
- Disconnect without shutting off all possibly impacted devices from the network. This can involve closing all Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) ports and Internet connected NAS storage, modifying admin credentials and user PWs, and implementing two-factor authentication to protect backups.
- Preserve forensically complete duplicates of all exposed devices so the file restoration group can get started
- Preserve firewall, VPN, and additional key logs as soon as feasible
- Establish the kind of ransomware involved in the attack
- Inspect every machine and data store on the network as well as cloud storage for signs of encryption
- Inventory all compromised devices
- Determine the kind of ransomware involved in the attack
- Study log activity and sessions to determine the timeline of the assault and to spot any potential sideways migration from the first compromised machine
- Understand the attack vectors used to perpetrate the ransomware assault
- Look for new executables associated with the original encrypted files or network compromise
- Parse Outlook PST files
- Analyze email attachments
- Extract URLs embedded in email messages and check to see whether they are malware
- Produce extensive attack reporting to meet your insurance carrier and compliance requirements
- Document recommendations to shore up cybersecurity vulnerabilities and improve workflows that lower the risk of a future ransomware breach
Progent has provided online and onsite IT services across the United States for over 20 years and has earned Microsoft's Gold Partner designation in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity practice areas. Progent's team of SMEs includes professionals who have earned high-level certifications in core technologies including Cisco infrastructure, VMware virtualization, and major Linux distros. Progent's cybersecurity consultants have earned industry-recognized certifications such as CISM, CISSP-ISSAP, and CRISC. (Refer to certifications earned by Progent consultants). Progent also has top-tier support in financial management and Enterprise Resource Planning software. This broad array of skills allows Progent to salvage and integrate the surviving pieces of your network following a ransomware intrusion and rebuild them rapidly into a viable network. Progent has worked with top insurance providers including Chubb to assist organizations recover from ransomware attacks.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Investigation Expertise in Charlotte
To learn more about how Progent can assist your Charlotte organization with ransomware forensics analysis, call 1-800-462-8800 or visit Contact Progent.