Progent's Ransomware Forensics and Reporting in Chatsworth
Progent's ransomware forensics experts can capture the evidence of a ransomware attack and perform a comprehensive forensics analysis without impeding activity related to business continuity and data recovery. Your Chatsworth business can use Progent's post-attack forensics documentation to block future ransomware assaults, assist in the cleanup of lost data, and meet insurance carrier and regulatory mandates.
Ransomware forensics analysis involves tracking and documenting the ransomware assault's progress across the targeted network from beginning to end. This audit trail of the way a ransomware attack progressed within the network assists you to assess the damage and uncovers gaps in security policies or processes that need to be rectified to prevent later break-ins. Forensics is usually assigned a top priority by the insurance provider and is often required by state and industry regulations. Because forensic analysis can be time consuming, it is vital that other important activities like business continuity are pursued concurrently. Progent maintains an extensive team of information technology and cybersecurity professionals with the knowledge and experience required to perform activities for containment, business resumption, and data recovery without interfering with forensic analysis.
Ransomware forensics analysis is complex and calls for close cooperation with the teams assigned to data cleanup and, if needed, payment discussions with the ransomware Threat Actor (TA). forensics can involve the examination of all logs, registry, Group Policy Object, AD, DNS servers, routers, firewalls, schedulers, and basic Windows systems to detect changes.
Activities associated with forensics investigation include:
- Disconnect but avoid shutting down all potentially suspect devices from the system. This may involve closing all RDP ports and Internet connected network-attached storage, changing admin credentials and user PWs, and implementing two-factor authentication to secure your backups.
- Create forensically sound duplicates of all suspect devices so your file restoration group can get started
- Preserve firewall, virtual private network, and other key logs as quickly as feasible
- Determine the kind of ransomware used in the assault
- Examine each machine and data store on the system as well as cloud-hosted storage for indications of encryption
- Catalog all compromised devices
- Establish the type of ransomware used in the assault
- Study logs and sessions in order to determine the time frame of the ransomware assault and to spot any possible sideways movement from the originally infected machine
- Understand the security gaps used to perpetrate the ransomware assault
- Search for the creation of executables associated with the original encrypted files or network breach
- Parse Outlook web archives
- Analyze attachments
- Extract any URLs embedded in email messages and determine whether they are malware
- Provide comprehensive attack documentation to satisfy your insurance carrier and compliance mandates
- List recommended improvements to close cybersecurity vulnerabilities and improve workflows that lower the exposure to a future ransomware exploit
Progent has provided online and onsite IT services throughout the United States for over 20 years and has been awarded Microsoft's Gold Partner certification in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity practice areas. Progent's roster of subject matter experts (SMEs) includes professionals who have earned high-level certifications in foundation technology platforms such as Cisco networking, VMware, and major Linux distros. Progent's data security consultants have earned internationally recognized certifications including CISA, CISSP-ISSAP, and GIAC. (Refer to Progent's certifications). Progent also has top-tier support in financial and ERP applications. This scope of skills gives Progent the ability to identify and consolidate the surviving pieces of your IT environment following a ransomware assault and reconstruct them rapidly into an operational network. Progent has worked with leading cyber insurance providers including Chubb to assist businesses clean up after ransomware attacks.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Expertise in Chatsworth
To learn more information about ways Progent can assist your Chatsworth organization with ransomware forensics analysis, call 1-800-462-8800 or see Contact Progent.