Overview of Progent's Ransomware Forensics Analysis and Reporting Services in Chesapeake
Progent's ransomware forensics consultants can preserve the evidence of a ransomware assault and carry out a detailed forensics investigation without slowing down activity required for business resumption and data restoration. Your Chesapeake business can utilize Progent's ransomware forensics documentation to block subsequent ransomware assaults, assist in the recovery of lost data, and comply with insurance carrier and regulatory reporting requirements.
Ransomware forensics investigation is aimed at discovering and documenting the ransomware attack's storyline across the network from start to finish. This audit trail of the way a ransomware attack progressed within the network assists you to assess the damage and highlights shortcomings in rules or processes that should be rectified to prevent later breaches. Forensic analysis is typically given a top priority by the insurance provider and is typically mandated by government and industry regulations. Because forensic analysis can take time, it is vital that other important recovery processes like business continuity are performed in parallel. Progent maintains a large team of IT and data security professionals with the skills required to carry out the work of containment, operational resumption, and data recovery without interfering with forensic analysis.
Ransomware forensics investigation is arduous and requires close interaction with the teams assigned to file restoration and, if needed, settlement discussions with the ransomware Threat Actor (TA). forensics typically require the examination of all logs, registry, GPO, Active Directory, DNS, routers, firewalls, schedulers, and basic Windows systems to check for anomalies.
Activities involved with forensics investigation include:
- Detach but avoid shutting down all potentially impacted devices from the network. This can involve closing all RDP ports and Internet connected network-attached storage, changing admin credentials and user passwords, and configuring 2FA to secure backups.
- Create forensically sound duplicates of all exposed devices so the data recovery group can proceed
- Preserve firewall, virtual private network, and other critical logs as soon as possible
- Establish the strain of ransomware involved in the assault
- Examine every machine and storage device on the system including cloud storage for indications of compromise
- Catalog all encrypted devices
- Determine the type of ransomware involved in the assault
- Study logs and sessions to determine the time frame of the ransomware assault and to identify any potential sideways movement from the first infected system
- Identify the security gaps exploited to perpetrate the ransomware attack
- Look for new executables surrounding the first encrypted files or system compromise
- Parse Outlook PST files
- Analyze email attachments
- Separate any URLs embedded in email messages and check to see whether they are malicious
- Produce comprehensive attack documentation to satisfy your insurance and compliance requirements
- List recommendations to close cybersecurity vulnerabilities and enforce workflows that lower the exposure to a future ransomware breach
Progent has delivered online and onsite network services across the U.S. for over 20 years and has earned Microsoft's Gold Partner certification in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity competencies. Progent's team of subject matter experts (SBEs) includes consultants who have earned high-level certifications in foundation technologies including Cisco networking, VMware, and popular Linux distros. Progent's cybersecurity consultants have earned industry-recognized certifications including CISA, CISSP-ISSAP, and GIAC. (See certifications earned by Progent consultants). Progent also has guidance in financial and Enterprise Resource Planning application software. This broad array of skills allows Progent to identify and integrate the surviving pieces of your information system following a ransomware intrusion and reconstruct them rapidly into an operational system. Progent has worked with top cyber insurance carriers including Chubb to help businesses recover from ransomware assaults.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Analysis Expertise in Chesapeake
To find out more information about ways Progent can assist your Chesapeake organization with ransomware forensics, call 1-800-462-8800 or see Contact Progent.