Network management systems assist companies to deploy network infrastructure efficiently, access user information rapidly, monitor network health, troubleshoot issues, defend against and react to cyber attacks, and optimize performance. Network management systems can spot inefficient or improper uses of network services such as streaming media or peer-to-peer file sharing that can waste bandwidth, reduce employee output or allow data leaks. A well crafted network management environment can also help organizations to make smart network enhancement moves by exposing tendencies in resource demand for various periods or activities.
The Meraki Dashboard enables unified cloud management for Cisco infrastructure hardware
Cisco offers a rich and growing catalog of infrastructure management solutions that support unified management for on-premises, cloud-based, or hybrid network architectures. With Cisco's later generation of security, switching, and Wi-Fi networking products, you can run Meraki, DNA Center, or CLI management platforms for network management. For example, you can connect the latest Catalyst or Meraki switches and Catalyst or Meraki WiFi 6/6E APs to the Meraki dashboard to monitor and manage vital components of your network infrastructure from the cloud. Progent's Catalyst Wi-Fi access point consultants, Cisco Meraki Wi-Fi access point experts, Catalyst switches consultants, and Cisco Meraki switches consultants can assist your organization to plan, deploy and tune a modern solution for network monitoring and management.
Traditional Network Management Tools from Cisco and Others
An abundance of network management tools from Cisco and other suppliers highlights the value and complexity of supporting IT infrastructure. Progent's seasoned network management engineers are experienced at helping businesses develop network management strategies utilizing on Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP), Syslog, and Cisco NetFlow to create powerful mechanisms for network bandwidth usage and network latency, monitoring key router and switch operational characteristics, and recognizing traffic profiles, processes, and devices utilizing available services.
Progent can assist customers to deploy a broad range of free and license-based management tools to maintain a Cisco-powered environment. Utilities familiar to Progent's engineers include MRTG, Cacti, Nagios, Cisco Cisco ASDM, Cisco Monitor Manager, CiscoWorks, Cisco Security Manager, OpenView, Wireshark/Ethereal, Concord E-Health, Adventnet Netflow, Big Brother, Solarwinds Orion, and Necordia NetMRI.
Network management tools can allow IT administrators to understand existing system usage and effectively plan for downstream capacity expansion. Management tools can also be deployed to identify poor or improper uses of network services, for example streaming multimedia, peer-to-peer file sharing, etc. that can waste valuable and limited network resources. A well planned network management strategy can also enable organizations to arrive at intelligent choices on WAN and LAN improvements once they appreciate how much system resources actually needed at any one time.
Putting an efficient network management platform in place in advance is vital to prevent major disruptions that can be caused by DoS attacks and dangerous viruses. These assaults can render the network unusable and without appropriate utilities it can be difficult, and in some cases practically impossible, to discover the location of the problem.
Network Management Products from Cisco
Cisco provides an array of powerful tools that should form the basis for any network management solution. Utilized in conjunction with the top third-party applications, Cisco's network management offerings can improve the business value of network infrastructures for companies of all sizes by improving key areas such as system utilization, performance, availability, security, repair, and scalability. Cisco's most familiar network management products include:
Adaptive Security Device Manager (ASDM) is a web utility that permits you configure and monitor the management utilities on network appliances. Cisco ASDM is loaded by the adaptive security appliance, and enables you to configure, track, and control the device.
Monitor Manager is a management and monitoring application intended to address the requirements of small and medium-sized companies. Cisco Monitor Manager continuously monitors key device parameters on voice and data networks serving 5 to 250 workers and equipped with as many as 250 Cisco Unified IP phones. Monitor Manager offers:
Monitor Manager monitors the network on a 24x7 cycle and frequently touches and collects inventory and performance-monitoring data from the monitored appliances in the network. Cisco Monitor Manager is a Windows-based application and is entirely transparent to system operations and does not deploy any agent software on target appliances. The application offers a rich set of useful features and benefits including:
- Real-time monitoring of key appliance processes on Cisco SMB-class routers, switches, and voice gateways, Cisco Communications Manager Express, Cisco Unity Express, security devices, WAPs, and VoIP phones
- Ability to manage the Unified Communications 500 Series for organizations with as many as 50 users
- Network discovery and topology
- Device and service level looks at Unified Communications implementation
- Networkwide device identification collection and reporting
- Highly secure and dependable communication
- Cisco device performance tracking
- Cisco Unified IP Telephony tracking
- Connection status and data traffic tracking
- Real-time alerts and notices
- Configuration log
Cisco Network Assistant is a PC-based network management application optimized for LANs and WLANS for growing organizations with up to 40 switches and routers. By utilizing Cisco's Smartports technology, Cisco Network Assistant streamlines configuration, installation, and ongoing management and support of Cisco-based networks. Cisco Network Assistant provides a centralized network view and allows network managers to employ its features among switches, routers, and access points.
Security Manager is a feature-rich but simple to operate solution for centrally provisioning all facets of device set up and policies for firewalls, virtual private networks, and Intrusion Prevention Systems (IPS). The solution effectively handles even small environments with fewer than ten devices, but also scales to control enterprise networks composed of thousands of Cisco routers, security appliances, and switch services modules. Expansion is enabled via smart policy-driven control techniques that can streamline administration. Highlights of Cisco Security Manager are:
How Progent's Cisco Certified Experts Can Help Your Business with Network Management
- Supports provisioning for Cisco routers running an IOS security software image, Cisco ASA 5500 Series firewalls, PIX firewalls, Cisco IPS 4200 Series inline security appliances, and Catalyst 6500 family security services modules
- Respond faster. more rapidly to threats: define and assign new security policies to thousands of appliances in just a few steps
- Intuitive graphical user interface provides superior ease-of-use
- A variety of looks that provide versatile methods to manage appliances and policies including the option to manage the security environment visually on a topology map
- Extensive animated help for the novice user to reduce training time
- Globally call out which policies are shared and inherited by additional devices to ensure company-wide policies are configured consistently, at the same time offering optional flexibility to customize policies at the individual device level
- Capability to create a single rule database for all Cisco platforms with intelligent analysis of firewall policies to determine conflicts in the rule base
- Quickly configure site-to-site, hub-and-spoke, full mesh, or extranet VPN interfaces with a few mouse clicks
- Compatibility with Cisco Access Control Server (ACS) for granular role based access control to devices and management functions
- Integration with security MARS to associate events against related security appliance rules to promote faster management decisions and increased system up time
- Capability to assign specific jobs to every manager during the deployment of a policy, with structured change management and logging; allows the security and network operations staff to work cooperatively as a cohesive group with efficient coordination
Progent's Cisco-Certified network management consultants can help you to use Cisco's management utilities alongside a variety of powerful open source and proprietary applications to create a comprehensive management strategy to keep your network running dependably, consolidate expensive resources, secure your information, recover rapidly from hardware failure or deliberates assaults, and allow you to expand or repurpose system resources effectively and economically as your company grows.
Progent can also show you how to utilize network management tools to monitor and categorize network data to implement traffic shaping, which permits you to configure Cisco routers to enforce a variety of bandwidth constraints on designated types of activity according to the priorities you assign. By storing and queuing data packets above your contracted volume, and by assigning priority to the most important applications, traffic shaping can prevent ISP overage charges from spiraling out of reach and/or eliminate gaps in productivity caused by brute force policing of your network bandwidth restrictions during periods of heavy use.
Progent's CISA and ISSAP security specialists can assist you to develop a comprehensive security strategy that incorporates your network management solution, and Progent's remote and in person network experts and Cisco CCIE-certified engineers can utilize the latest network monitoring and analysis tools to isolate and fix trouble quickly to keep your network running smoothly.
To learn more information concerning Progent's engineering expertise for Cisco networking products, choose a subject:
To contact Progent about professional support for Cisco networking, call 1-800-993-9400 or go to Contact Progent.