A wealth of network management utilities from Cisco and other suppliers highlights the value and complexity of maintaining networks. Progent's Cisco-certified network management consultants are experienced at assisting companies design network management solutions utilizing on Simple Network Management Protocol, SYSLOG services, and NetFlow protocols to create effective mechanisms for network utilization and latency, viewing key router and switch operational metrics, and recognizing traffic patterns, processes, and appliances that use network resources.
Progent can assist customers to utilize a broad range of free and license-based monitoring and management tools to maintain a Cisco network. Tools used by Progent's consultants include MRTG, Cacti, Nagios, Cisco Cisco ASDM, Cisco Network Assistant, CiscoWorks, Cisco Security Manager, OpenView, Wireshark/Ethereal, Concord E-Health, Adventnet Netflow and Firewall Analyzer, Solarwinds Orion, and NetMRI.
Network management platforms can help IT administrators to be aware of existing network utilization and intelligently prepare for downstream traffic expansion. Management tools can also be used to detect inefficient or inappropriate uses of network resources, for example streaming multimedia, peer-to-peer file sharing, etc. that can use up valuable and scarce network bandwidth. A well planned network management solution can also help businesses to arrive at intelligent choices on system improvements after they recognize the amount of system bandwidth historically required at various times.
Putting an effective network management system in place in advance is essential to avoid severe problems that can result from Denial Of Service attacks and malicious viruses. These assaults can render the network unusable and without appropriate tools it can be difficult, if not practically impossible, to identify the source of the problem.
Network Management Products from Cisco
Cisco provides an assortment of effective utilities that should form the basis for any network management strategy. Utilized in combination with appropriate third-party applications, Cisco's network management software can improve the business value of network infrastructures for organizations of all sizes by dealing with key areas such as resource utilization, throughput, availability, security, troubleshooting, and capacity planning. Cisco's most popular network management products include:
Cisco ASDM is a browser-based Java applet that lets you set up and operate the software built into network devices. Cisco Adaptive Security Device Manager is installed by the network device, and allows you to set up, monitor, and control the unit.
Monitor Manager is a comprehensive management application developed to address the needs of small and medium-sized organizations. Monitor Manager continuously tracks key appliance processes on voice and data networks serving 5 to 250 users and with as many as 250 Voice over IP phones. Monitor Manager offers:
Monitor Manager monitors the network on a round-the-clock basis and periodically polls and gathers inventory and operations-monitoring data from the managed appliances in the network. Monitor Manager is a Microsoft Windows-based application and is completely invisible to IT processes and does not use any agent software on target devices. Cisco Monitor Manager offers a rich set of valuable features and benefits such as:
- Up-to-date monitoring of key appliance processes on small and midsize business-class routers and switches, Cisco Communications Manager Express, Unity Express, security appliances, wireless access points, and VoIP phones
- Compatibility with the Unified Communications 500 for businesses with as many as 50 users
- Voice and data network discovery and topology
- Device and service level views of Cisco Unified Communications deployment
- Networkwide device identification logging and reporting
- Advanced security and dependable communication
- Device operations tracking
- IP Telephony monitoring
- Connection status and traffic tracking
- Immediate alarms and notifications
- Setup log
Network Assistant is a desktop-hosted network management application optimized for LANs and WLANS for growing organizations that have as many as 40 Cisco switches and routers. By utilizing Smartports, the application simplifies configuration, installation, and continuing management and maintenance of Cisco networks. Cisco Network Assistant offers a centralized network view and allows network administrators to employ its functions across Cisco switches, routers, and wireless access points.
Cisco Security Manager is a powerful but easy-to-use solution for centrally provisioning all facets of device configuration and security policies for firewalls, VPNs, and Intrusion Prevention Systems (IPS). Security Manager efficiently manages even small networks with no more than than ten devices, but also scales to manage enterprise networks with thousands of routers, switches, and firewalls. Scalability is achieved through smart policy-driven management techniques that can simplify administrative overhead. Key features of Cisco Security Manager include:
How Progent's Cisco Certified Experts Can Help You with Network Management
- Allows provisioning for Cisco router platforms configured with a Cisco IOS security software image, Cisco ASA 5500 Series firewalls, PIX security appliances, Cisco IPS 4200 Series sensors, and Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series security modules
- Reacts more quickly to attacks: define and assign new security policies to many hundreds of appliances in just a few steps
- Intuitive graphical user interface provides exceptional ease-of-use
- A variety of views that offer versatile ways to manage devices and security policies including the ability to administer the security network graphically on a system topology image
- Extensive video training for the first-time user to accelerate learning time
- Centrally call out which policies are common and inherited by new devices to make sure corporate policies are implemented regularly, at the same time providing sufficient flexibility to modify policies at the individual device level
- Ability to create a single firewall rule database for all Cisco platforms with smart evaluation of firewall policies to detect anomalies within the rule table
- Easily set up location-to-location, hub-spoke, full mesh, or extranet VPN links by means of a few mouse clicks
- Compatibility with Cisco ACS for granular role based access control to devices and management services
- Operation with security MARS to compare events with corresponding security appliance rules to help with faster management decisions and increased network availability
- Capability to assign specific jobs to each manager in the course of the implementation of a rule, with structured change control and tracking; permits the security and network operations team to work in sync as a cohesive unit with efficient coordination
Progent's Cisco-Premier network management engineers can help you to use Cisco's network management tools in combination with an array of effective third-party programs to develop a complete management solution to keep your infrastructure running smoothly, conserve valuable resources, guard your data, recover quickly from equipment failure or malicious assaults, and enable you to expand or reassign system hardware effectively and affordably as your business evolves.
Progent can also help you to utilize network management utilities to monitor and categorize system data to enable traffic shaping, which permits you to program Cisco routers to impose a variety of throughput restrictions on designated types of processes according to the importance you specify. By storing and queuing data packets above your contracted rates, and by assigning preference to business-critical processes, traffic shaping can keep service provider overage penalties from spiraling out of reach and/or avoid lost productivity resulting from indiscriminate enforcement of your network bandwidth limits during peak demand.
Progent's CISM and CISSP security consultants can show you how to develop a comprehensive security strategy that incorporates your network management processes, and Progent's remote and on-premises network specialists and Cisco CCIE and CNA qualified engineers can use the latest network management technology to identify and remediate trouble rapidly to keep your IT system productive.
To learn more details concerning Progent's consulting expertise for Cisco products, pick a topic:
In order to get in touch with Progent about professional assistance for Cisco technology, call 1-800-993-9400 or visit Contact Progent.