Overview of Progent's Ransomware Forensics and Reporting in Clearwater
Progent's ransomware forensics consultants can preserve the system state after a ransomware assault and carry out a detailed forensics analysis without slowing down the processes related to operational continuity and data recovery. Your Clearwater business can utilize Progent's post-attack forensics documentation to counter future ransomware attacks, validate the recovery of lost data, and meet insurance and regulatory requirements.
Ransomware forensics investigation involves determining and describing the ransomware assault's progress across the targeted network from beginning to end. This history of how a ransomware attack progressed through the network assists you to evaluate the impact and uncovers shortcomings in policies or processes that need to be corrected to avoid later breaches. Forensic analysis is typically assigned a top priority by the insurance carrier and is typically mandated by state and industry regulations. Since forensics can be time consuming, it is essential that other important activities such as operational continuity are pursued in parallel. Progent maintains an extensive roster of IT and cybersecurity experts with the skills required to perform the work of containment, business continuity, and data recovery without disrupting forensic analysis.
Ransomware forensics analysis is complicated and requires intimate cooperation with the teams assigned to file recovery and, if needed, payment negotiation with the ransomware hacker. Ransomware forensics typically require the review of all logs, registry, Group Policy Object, AD, DNS servers, routers, firewalls, scheduled tasks, and core Windows systems to detect anomalies.
Services associated with forensics include:
- Disconnect but avoid shutting off all potentially affected devices from the network. This can require closing all Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) ports and Internet connected NAS storage, changing admin credentials and user passwords, and implementing 2FA to guard your backups.
- Capture forensically complete duplicates of all exposed devices so your data recovery group can proceed
- Save firewall, virtual private network, and other key logs as soon as possible
- Establish the kind of ransomware involved in the attack
- Inspect every computer and storage device on the network including cloud storage for indications of compromise
- Catalog all encrypted devices
- Establish the kind of ransomware used in the attack
- Review log activity and sessions in order to determine the time frame of the assault and to spot any potential sideways movement from the first infected machine
- Understand the security gaps used to perpetrate the ransomware attack
- Search for the creation of executables associated with the original encrypted files or network compromise
- Parse Outlook web archives
- Examine email attachments
- Extract URLs embedded in email messages and check to see whether they are malware
- Produce detailed incident documentation to satisfy your insurance carrier and compliance requirements
- List recommendations to shore up cybersecurity vulnerabilities and improve workflows that reduce the exposure to a future ransomware exploit
Progent has delivered online and on-premises IT services throughout the U.S. for over two decades and has been awarded Microsoft's Gold Partner certification in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity practice areas. Progent's team of SBEs includes consultants who have been awarded high-level certifications in core technologies including Cisco infrastructure, VMware, and popular Linux distros. Progent's data security experts have earned internationally recognized certifications including CISM, CISSP-ISSAP, and GIAC. (See certifications earned by Progent consultants). Progent also has guidance in financial and ERP application software. This broad array of expertise gives Progent the ability to salvage and consolidate the undamaged parts of your network following a ransomware intrusion and rebuild them rapidly into an operational system. Progent has collaborated with top insurance carriers like Chubb to assist organizations clean up after ransomware attacks.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Investigation Expertise in Clearwater
To learn more information about how Progent can help your Clearwater business with ransomware forensics, call 1-800-462-8800 or visit Contact Progent.