Progent's Ransomware Forensics and Reporting in Clearwater
Progent's ransomware forensics experts can capture the evidence of a ransomware attack and perform a detailed forensics investigation without interfering with activity related to operational continuity and data recovery. Your Clearwater business can utilize Progent's ransomware forensics report to counter future ransomware attacks, assist in the cleanup of lost data, and comply with insurance carrier and governmental reporting requirements.
Ransomware forensics analysis is aimed at discovering and documenting the ransomware assault's progress throughout the targeted network from start to finish. This history of how a ransomware attack travelled through the network assists you to assess the damage and highlights vulnerabilities in security policies or processes that need to be rectified to prevent future breaches. Forensic analysis is usually given a top priority by the insurance provider and is often mandated by government and industry regulations. Because forensics can take time, it is essential that other important recovery processes such as operational continuity are performed in parallel. Progent has a large roster of information technology and cybersecurity experts with the skills needed to perform the work of containment, business resumption, and data restoration without interfering with forensic analysis.
Ransomware forensics is complicated and requires close cooperation with the teams assigned to file cleanup and, if necessary, payment negotiation with the ransomware Threat Actor. Ransomware forensics typically require the examination of logs, registry, Group Policy Object (GPO), AD, DNS, routers, firewalls, scheduled tasks, and core Windows systems to check for changes.
Activities involved with forensics investigation include:
- Detach but avoid shutting down all possibly suspect devices from the system. This can involve closing all RDP ports and Internet connected NAS storage, modifying admin credentials and user passwords, and configuring two-factor authentication to secure backups.
- Create forensically valid digital images of all suspect devices so your file recovery team can proceed
- Preserve firewall, virtual private network, and other critical logs as soon as feasible
- Identify the type of ransomware involved in the assault
- Examine every computer and storage device on the network including cloud-hosted storage for indications of compromise
- Catalog all compromised devices
- Determine the type of ransomware involved in the attack
- Study logs and sessions in order to establish the timeline of the assault and to spot any potential sideways movement from the originally infected system
- Understand the attack vectors used to perpetrate the ransomware attack
- Search for the creation of executables associated with the original encrypted files or system breach
- Parse Outlook PST files
- Analyze email attachments
- Separate any URLs from messages and determine whether they are malware
- Provide comprehensive incident reporting to satisfy your insurance and compliance requirements
- List recommendations to shore up cybersecurity vulnerabilities and enforce workflows that lower the exposure to a future ransomware exploit
Progent has provided remote and onsite network services across the U.S. for more than 20 years and has been awarded Microsoft's Gold Partner certification in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity competencies. Progent's roster of subject matter experts (SMEs) includes consultants who have been awarded high-level certifications in core technologies including Cisco networking, VMware virtualization, and popular distributions of Linux. Progent's data security experts have earned internationally recognized certifications including CISA, CISSP-ISSAP, and GIAC. (Refer to Progent's certifications). Progent also has guidance in financial management and Enterprise Resource Planning software. This broad array of expertise gives Progent the ability to identify and consolidate the undamaged pieces of your information system after a ransomware attack and rebuild them rapidly into a viable system. Progent has collaborated with top cyber insurance carriers like Chubb to help organizations clean up after ransomware attacks.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Expertise in Clearwater
To find out more information about ways Progent can help your Clearwater organization with ransomware forensics investigation, call 1-800-462-8800 or visit Contact Progent.