Overview of Progent's Ransomware Forensics Analysis and Reporting in Clearwater
Progent's ransomware forensics experts can capture the system state after a ransomware attack and perform a detailed forensics investigation without interfering with the processes related to business continuity and data recovery. Your Clearwater organization can utilize Progent's ransomware forensics report to counter future ransomware attacks, validate the cleanup of encrypted data, and comply with insurance and governmental requirements.
Ransomware forensics analysis is aimed at tracking and documenting the ransomware attack's progress throughout the targeted network from start to finish. This history of the way a ransomware assault progressed within the network assists your IT staff to evaluate the damage and highlights vulnerabilities in security policies or processes that need to be corrected to prevent later break-ins. Forensic analysis is typically given a top priority by the insurance carrier and is typically required by state and industry regulations. Since forensics can be time consuming, it is critical that other important recovery processes like operational resumption are pursued in parallel. Progent maintains a large team of IT and security professionals with the skills needed to perform activities for containment, operational continuity, and data recovery without disrupting forensic analysis.
Ransomware forensics investigation is time consuming and calls for intimate interaction with the teams responsible for file recovery and, if needed, settlement discussions with the ransomware hacker. Ransomware forensics can require the review of logs, registry, GPO, Active Directory, DNS servers, routers, firewalls, scheduled tasks, and basic Windows systems to check for anomalies.
Activities involved with forensics analysis include:
- Detach without shutting down all potentially suspect devices from the system. This may require closing all Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) ports and Internet facing network-attached storage, changing admin credentials and user passwords, and setting up 2FA to secure backups.
- Capture forensically complete images of all exposed devices so the data recovery team can get started
- Save firewall, virtual private network, and additional critical logs as quickly as possible
- Determine the strain of ransomware used in the assault
- Survey each machine and data store on the system including cloud storage for indications of encryption
- Catalog all compromised devices
- Determine the kind of ransomware used in the assault
- Study log activity and user sessions to establish the time frame of the ransomware assault and to identify any potential lateral migration from the first infected machine
- Identify the attack vectors exploited to carry out the ransomware assault
- Search for new executables surrounding the first encrypted files or system compromise
- Parse Outlook web archives
- Analyze attachments
- Extract URLs embedded in messages and determine if they are malware
- Produce detailed attack documentation to meet your insurance and compliance mandates
- List recommendations to shore up security gaps and improve processes that lower the exposure to a future ransomware breach
Progent has delivered online and on-premises IT services across the United States for over two decades and has earned Microsoft's Gold Partner certification in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity competencies. Progent's team of subject matter experts (SBEs) includes professionals who have been awarded high-level certifications in core technology platforms including Cisco networking, VMware, and major Linux distros. Progent's data security consultants have earned industry-recognized certifications such as CISM, CISSP, and GIAC. (Refer to certifications earned by Progent consultants). Progent also has guidance in financial and Enterprise Resource Planning applications. This breadth of expertise allows Progent to identify and consolidate the undamaged parts of your information system after a ransomware intrusion and rebuild them rapidly into a viable system. Progent has worked with top cyber insurance providers including Chubb to help businesses recover from ransomware attacks.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Analysis Services in Clearwater
To learn more information about how Progent can help your Clearwater organization with ransomware forensics investigation, call 1-800-462-8800 or visit Contact Progent.