Progent's Ransomware Forensics Analysis and Reporting in Chattanooga
Progent's ransomware forensics consultants can save the system state after a ransomware assault and perform a comprehensive forensics investigation without interfering with activity required for operational continuity and data recovery. Your Chattanooga organization can utilize Progent's post-attack forensics documentation to combat future ransomware attacks, assist in the recovery of lost data, and comply with insurance and governmental mandates.
Ransomware forensics analysis involves determining and documenting the ransomware attack's storyline across the network from beginning to end. This audit trail of the way a ransomware assault progressed within the network assists you to assess the impact and highlights weaknesses in security policies or work habits that should be corrected to avoid later break-ins. Forensics is commonly assigned a top priority by the cyber insurance provider and is typically mandated by government and industry regulations. Because forensic analysis can be time consuming, it is essential that other important recovery processes such as operational resumption are pursued concurrently. Progent has an extensive team of information technology and security experts with the knowledge and experience required to carry out the work of containment, operational resumption, and data restoration without disrupting forensics.
Ransomware forensics analysis is arduous and calls for intimate interaction with the teams assigned to data cleanup and, if necessary, payment discussions with the ransomware hacker. Ransomware forensics can involve the examination of all logs, registry, Group Policy Object, Active Directory, DNS servers, routers, firewalls, schedulers, and core Windows systems to check for anomalies.
Activities involved with forensics investigation include:
- Detach but avoid shutting off all potentially suspect devices from the network. This may involve closing all Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) ports and Internet connected network-attached storage, modifying admin credentials and user PWs, and implementing two-factor authentication to secure backups.
- Copy forensically sound digital images of all exposed devices so your file recovery group can get started
- Preserve firewall, virtual private network, and other key logs as quickly as feasible
- Identify the strain of ransomware used in the attack
- Survey each computer and storage device on the system including cloud storage for signs of encryption
- Inventory all compromised devices
- Determine the type of ransomware used in the attack
- Study logs and sessions to establish the time frame of the ransomware attack and to identify any potential lateral migration from the originally compromised system
- Identify the attack vectors exploited to carry out the ransomware assault
- Search for new executables surrounding the first encrypted files or system breach
- Parse Outlook PST files
- Examine attachments
- Separate any URLs embedded in email messages and check to see whether they are malicious
- Produce comprehensive attack reporting to satisfy your insurance carrier and compliance mandates
- Suggest recommendations to shore up cybersecurity gaps and enforce workflows that reduce the risk of a future ransomware exploit
Progent has delivered online and onsite IT services across the U.S. for over 20 years and has been awarded Microsoft's Gold Partner certification in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity competencies. Progent's roster of SBEs includes professionals who have earned high-level certifications in core technologies including Cisco networking, VMware virtualization, and major Linux distros. Progent's cybersecurity experts have earned industry-recognized certifications such as CISM, CISSP, and GIAC. (See certifications earned by Progent consultants). Progent also offers top-tier support in financial and ERP applications. This breadth of skills gives Progent the ability to salvage and consolidate the surviving parts of your IT environment after a ransomware attack and rebuild them quickly into an operational system. Progent has worked with leading cyber insurance carriers like Chubb to help organizations recover from ransomware assaults.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Analysis Expertise in Chattanooga
To find out more information about ways Progent can assist your Chattanooga business with ransomware forensics analysis, call 1-800-462-8800 or see Contact Progent.