Progent's Ransomware Forensics Analysis and Reporting in Chicago
Progent's ransomware forensics experts can save the evidence of a ransomware assault and perform a comprehensive forensics analysis without disrupting activity related to operational continuity and data restoration. Your Chicago organization can utilize Progent's forensics documentation to counter future ransomware attacks, validate the recovery of encrypted data, and comply with insurance carrier and regulatory requirements.
Ransomware forensics analysis is aimed at tracking and describing the ransomware assault's storyline throughout the targeted network from beginning to end. This history of the way a ransomware assault travelled within the network assists your IT staff to assess the impact and highlights gaps in policies or processes that should be rectified to avoid future break-ins. Forensic analysis is commonly assigned a high priority by the cyber insurance carrier and is often required by government and industry regulations. Because forensic analysis can be time consuming, it is essential that other key recovery processes like business resumption are pursued in parallel. Progent maintains an extensive team of information technology and security professionals with the skills needed to carry out activities for containment, business resumption, and data recovery without interfering with forensics.
Ransomware forensics analysis is complicated and calls for intimate cooperation with the groups focused on file recovery and, if needed, payment talks with the ransomware Threat Actor (TA). Ransomware forensics typically involve the examination of logs, registry, Group Policy Object, Active Directory, DNS, routers, firewalls, schedulers, and basic Windows systems to detect changes.
Activities associated with forensics investigation include:
- Detach without shutting down all possibly suspect devices from the network. This can involve closing all RDP ports and Internet connected network-attached storage, modifying admin credentials and user passwords, and configuring 2FA to secure your backups.
- Capture forensically sound digital images of all exposed devices so your data restoration group can proceed
- Preserve firewall, virtual private network, and additional critical logs as soon as feasible
- Establish the strain of ransomware used in the assault
- Inspect every computer and storage device on the network including cloud-hosted storage for signs of compromise
- Catalog all encrypted devices
- Establish the kind of ransomware involved in the assault
- Review logs and user sessions in order to establish the timeline of the assault and to spot any potential lateral movement from the originally compromised machine
- Understand the security gaps exploited to perpetrate the ransomware attack
- Search for the creation of executables surrounding the original encrypted files or network breach
- Parse Outlook PST files
- Analyze email attachments
- Separate URLs from email messages and check to see whether they are malware
- Produce extensive attack documentation to satisfy your insurance and compliance mandates
- Suggest recommendations to close security gaps and enforce workflows that lower the exposure to a future ransomware exploit
Progent has delivered remote and on-premises network services throughout the United States for more than 20 years and has been awarded Microsoft's Gold Partner certification in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity practice areas. Progent's team of subject matter experts (SMEs) includes professionals who have earned high-level certifications in foundation technology platforms such as Cisco infrastructure, VMware, and major distributions of Linux. Progent's cybersecurity consultants have earned prestigious certifications such as CISM, CISSP, and CRISC. (See certifications earned by Progent consultants). Progent also has guidance in financial management and Enterprise Resource Planning applications. This broad array of expertise allows Progent to identify and consolidate the undamaged parts of your information system after a ransomware assault and rebuild them quickly into an operational system. Progent has collaborated with top cyber insurance carriers like Chubb to assist organizations clean up after ransomware attacks.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Analysis Services in Chicago
To learn more about how Progent can assist your Chicago business with ransomware forensics analysis, call 1-800-462-8800 or visit Contact Progent.