Overview of Progent's Ransomware Forensics Analysis and Reporting in Dayton
Progent's ransomware forensics consultants can save the system state after a ransomware assault and carry out a detailed forensics analysis without interfering with activity related to business continuity and data recovery. Your Dayton business can use Progent's post-attack forensics report to combat subsequent ransomware attacks, validate the recovery of lost data, and meet insurance and governmental mandates.
Ransomware forensics analysis is aimed at tracking and documenting the ransomware assault's storyline throughout the targeted network from beginning to end. This audit trail of how a ransomware assault travelled within the network assists you to assess the impact and highlights weaknesses in security policies or processes that should be corrected to prevent later break-ins. Forensic analysis is typically assigned a top priority by the insurance carrier and is typically mandated by government and industry regulations. Because forensics can take time, it is essential that other important recovery processes such as business resumption are executed in parallel. Progent has an extensive roster of information technology and security experts with the skills required to carry out the work of containment, business continuity, and data restoration without disrupting forensic analysis.
Ransomware forensics is complicated and requires intimate cooperation with the teams focused on data recovery and, if needed, settlement negotiation with the ransomware hacker. Ransomware forensics typically require the examination of logs, registry, GPO, Active Directory (AD), DNS servers, routers, firewalls, schedulers, and basic Windows systems to check for anomalies.
Activities associated with forensics analysis include:
- Isolate without shutting down all possibly impacted devices from the system. This can involve closing all RDP ports and Internet facing NAS storage, modifying admin credentials and user passwords, and implementing 2FA to guard backups.
- Create forensically valid images of all suspect devices so the file restoration group can proceed
- Preserve firewall, VPN, and additional key logs as quickly as feasible
- Determine the type of ransomware involved in the assault
- Survey each computer and storage device on the network as well as cloud storage for signs of compromise
- Catalog all encrypted devices
- Determine the kind of ransomware used in the assault
- Review logs and sessions in order to establish the timeline of the assault and to spot any potential lateral migration from the first infected machine
- Understand the security gaps exploited to perpetrate the ransomware attack
- Search for the creation of executables associated with the first encrypted files or system compromise
- Parse Outlook PST files
- Examine email attachments
- Extract any URLs embedded in email messages and check to see whether they are malware
- Produce comprehensive attack reporting to meet your insurance carrier and compliance mandates
- Suggest recommended improvements to shore up cybersecurity gaps and enforce processes that reduce the risk of a future ransomware exploit
Progent has provided online and onsite network services throughout the United States for more than two decades and has earned Microsoft's Gold Partner designation in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity competencies. Progent's roster of SMEs includes consultants who have been awarded advanced certifications in foundation technologies including Cisco networking, VMware virtualization, and major distributions of Linux. Progent's data security experts have earned prestigious certifications including CISA, CISSP-ISSAP, and CRISC. (Refer to Progent's certifications). Progent also has top-tier support in financial and Enterprise Resource Planning software. This breadth of skills allows Progent to salvage and consolidate the undamaged parts of your information system after a ransomware assault and rebuild them rapidly into a functioning system. Progent has worked with leading insurance providers like Chubb to assist organizations recover from ransomware attacks.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Expertise in Dayton
To learn more information about how Progent can help your Dayton organization with ransomware forensics analysis, call 1-800-462-8800 or see Contact Progent.