Overview of Progent's Ransomware Forensics Analysis and Reporting in Garland
Progent's ransomware forensics experts can save the system state after a ransomware attack and carry out a detailed forensics investigation without disrupting activity related to operational continuity and data restoration. Your Garland organization can use Progent's post-attack ransomware forensics report to counter subsequent ransomware assaults, assist in the recovery of encrypted data, and meet insurance and governmental requirements.
Ransomware forensics investigation is aimed at discovering and documenting the ransomware assault's storyline across the targeted network from beginning to end. This audit trail of how a ransomware assault progressed through the network helps your IT staff to assess the impact and brings to light shortcomings in rules or work habits that should be rectified to avoid later breaches. Forensic analysis is usually given a high priority by the cyber insurance carrier and is often required by state and industry regulations. Since forensics can take time, it is critical that other important activities like operational continuity are executed in parallel. Progent has an extensive roster of information technology and security professionals with the skills needed to carry out the work of containment, business continuity, and data restoration without interfering with forensics.
Ransomware forensics is arduous and calls for intimate cooperation with the groups responsible for file cleanup and, if needed, payment discussions with the ransomware hacker. forensics typically involve the examination of logs, registry, Group Policy Object (GPO), Active Directory, DNS, routers, firewalls, scheduled tasks, and basic Windows systems to detect variations.
Activities involved with forensics investigation include:
- Isolate but avoid shutting down all possibly suspect devices from the system. This may involve closing all RDP ports and Internet facing network-attached storage, modifying admin credentials and user passwords, and setting up two-factor authentication to secure your backups.
- Copy forensically valid digital images of all suspect devices so the file restoration team can proceed
- Preserve firewall, virtual private network, and additional critical logs as soon as possible
- Identify the variety of ransomware used in the assault
- Examine each computer and data store on the system as well as cloud-hosted storage for signs of encryption
- Catalog all compromised devices
- Determine the kind of ransomware used in the attack
- Review logs and user sessions to determine the time frame of the attack and to identify any possible lateral movement from the first infected system
- Understand the security gaps exploited to perpetrate the ransomware attack
- Search for new executables surrounding the original encrypted files or system breach
- Parse Outlook PST files
- Examine email attachments
- Separate any URLs from email messages and check to see whether they are malware
- Provide extensive incident reporting to meet your insurance carrier and compliance mandates
- Document recommendations to close cybersecurity gaps and enforce processes that reduce the risk of a future ransomware breach
Progent has provided online and onsite IT services throughout the United States for over two decades and has been awarded Microsoft's Gold Partner certification in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity competencies. Progent's team of subject matter experts includes professionals who have earned high-level certifications in core technologies such as Cisco networking, VMware, and popular Linux distros. Progent's data security consultants have earned internationally recognized certifications including CISM, CISSP, and CRISC. (Refer to certifications earned by Progent consultants). Progent also offers guidance in financial and ERP application software. This broad array of expertise allows Progent to salvage and consolidate the surviving pieces of your IT environment after a ransomware assault and rebuild them quickly into a functioning system. Progent has worked with leading insurance carriers including Chubb to assist businesses recover from ransomware attacks.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Expertise in Garland
To learn more information about how Progent can assist your Garland business with ransomware forensics analysis, call 1-800-462-8800 or see Contact Progent.