Overview of Progent's Ransomware Forensics and Reporting Services in Garland
Progent's ransomware forensics consultants can preserve the system state after a ransomware attack and carry out a comprehensive forensics analysis without impeding activity related to operational resumption and data recovery. Your Garland business can use Progent's post-attack ransomware forensics documentation to block subsequent ransomware attacks, assist in the recovery of encrypted data, and comply with insurance carrier and regulatory mandates.
Ransomware forensics analysis involves tracking and documenting the ransomware assault's progress across the targeted network from start to finish. This audit trail of the way a ransomware assault progressed within the network helps your IT staff to evaluate the impact and brings to light weaknesses in security policies or work habits that should be rectified to prevent later break-ins. Forensics is usually assigned a high priority by the insurance provider and is typically mandated by state and industry regulations. Because forensics can be time consuming, it is vital that other key recovery processes such as operational continuity are pursued in parallel. Progent maintains a large team of information technology and cybersecurity professionals with the skills needed to perform activities for containment, business continuity, and data restoration without interfering with forensics.
Ransomware forensics is arduous and requires close cooperation with the teams focused on file restoration and, if needed, settlement negotiation with the ransomware hacker. Ransomware forensics can require the examination of logs, registry, Group Policy Object, Active Directory, DNS, routers, firewalls, schedulers, and basic Windows systems to detect variations.
Services involved with forensics include:
- Disconnect but avoid shutting off all potentially impacted devices from the system. This can involve closing all RDP ports and Internet facing network-attached storage, changing admin credentials and user passwords, and implementing 2FA to protect your backups.
- Preserve forensically valid images of all suspect devices so the data recovery group can proceed
- Preserve firewall, VPN, and other critical logs as soon as possible
- Identify the strain of ransomware used in the assault
- Examine each computer and data store on the system as well as cloud-hosted storage for signs of encryption
- Inventory all encrypted devices
- Establish the type of ransomware used in the assault
- Review logs and user sessions in order to establish the time frame of the ransomware attack and to spot any potential lateral migration from the originally infected machine
- Identify the security gaps used to carry out the ransomware attack
- Search for new executables associated with the original encrypted files or network compromise
- Parse Outlook PST files
- Examine attachments
- Separate any URLs from messages and determine whether they are malicious
- Produce detailed incident documentation to satisfy your insurance and compliance mandates
- Document recommendations to close cybersecurity gaps and improve workflows that lower the exposure to a future ransomware exploit
Progent has provided online and onsite network services throughout the United States for more than 20 years and has been awarded Microsoft's Gold Partner certification in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity practice areas. Progent's roster of subject matter experts (SBEs) includes consultants who have earned advanced certifications in core technology platforms including Cisco infrastructure, VMware, and popular Linux distros. Progent's data security consultants have earned internationally recognized certifications including CISM, CISSP, and GIAC. (Refer to certifications earned by Progent consultants). Progent also has guidance in financial and Enterprise Resource Planning application software. This scope of skills allows Progent to identify and consolidate the undamaged pieces of your IT environment after a ransomware intrusion and reconstruct them quickly into a viable network. Progent has collaborated with leading cyber insurance carriers including Chubb to assist organizations recover from ransomware attacks.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Investigation Expertise in Garland
To learn more about ways Progent can assist your Garland organization with ransomware forensics analysis, call 1-800-462-8800 or visit Contact Progent.