Progent's Ransomware Forensics Analysis and Reporting in Austin
Progent's ransomware forensics experts can save the evidence of a ransomware assault and perform a detailed forensics investigation without slowing down the processes required for operational resumption and data restoration. Your Austin organization can utilize Progent's ransomware forensics documentation to counter future ransomware assaults, assist in the cleanup of encrypted data, and comply with insurance carrier and governmental reporting requirements.
Ransomware forensics involves tracking and describing the ransomware attack's storyline throughout the network from beginning to end. This history of how a ransomware assault travelled within the network helps your IT staff to assess the impact and brings to light weaknesses in rules or work habits that should be corrected to prevent later break-ins. Forensic analysis is typically assigned a high priority by the insurance carrier and is often required by state and industry regulations. Because forensics can be time consuming, it is essential that other important activities like business resumption are performed in parallel. Progent maintains a large team of IT and security experts with the knowledge and experience required to carry out activities for containment, business continuity, and data recovery without disrupting forensic analysis.
Ransomware forensics analysis is time consuming and requires close cooperation with the teams responsible for file cleanup and, if necessary, settlement discussions with the ransomware Threat Actor (TA). Ransomware forensics typically involve the review of all logs, registry, GPO, Active Directory (AD), DNS servers, routers, firewalls, schedulers, and core Windows systems to detect changes.
Activities associated with forensics analysis include:
- Detach without shutting down all potentially affected devices from the system. This may involve closing all RDP ports and Internet facing network-attached storage, modifying admin credentials and user passwords, and configuring two-factor authentication to protect your backups.
- Copy forensically sound duplicates of all exposed devices so your file restoration group can proceed
- Preserve firewall, virtual private network, and other critical logs as quickly as feasible
- Establish the variety of ransomware involved in the attack
- Survey each machine and storage device on the system as well as cloud storage for indications of compromise
- Inventory all compromised devices
- Determine the kind of ransomware involved in the assault
- Review logs and sessions in order to determine the time frame of the assault and to identify any potential lateral movement from the originally compromised system
- Understand the security gaps exploited to perpetrate the ransomware assault
- Look for new executables associated with the original encrypted files or system breach
- Parse Outlook web archives
- Analyze email attachments
- Separate any URLs from email messages and check to see whether they are malware
- Produce extensive attack documentation to satisfy your insurance carrier and compliance requirements
- List recommendations to close security gaps and improve workflows that reduce the risk of a future ransomware breach
Progent has provided remote and on-premises IT services throughout the United States for over two decades and has been awarded Microsoft's Gold Partner certification in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity competencies. Progent's team of SMEs includes professionals who have been awarded advanced certifications in core technologies including Cisco infrastructure, VMware virtualization, and popular Linux distros. Progent's data security experts have earned internationally recognized certifications including CISA, CISSP, and CRISC. (See Progent's certifications). Progent also offers guidance in financial and ERP software. This broad array of skills gives Progent the ability to salvage and integrate the surviving parts of your information system after a ransomware intrusion and rebuild them rapidly into an operational network. Progent has collaborated with top cyber insurance providers including Chubb to help businesses recover from ransomware assaults.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Analysis Services in Austin
To learn more about how Progent can assist your Austin organization with ransomware forensics, call 1-800-462-8800 or visit Contact Progent.