Overview of Progent's Ransomware Forensics Investigation and Reporting in Montreal
Progent's ransomware forensics consultants can capture the system state after a ransomware assault and carry out a detailed forensics investigation without slowing down activity related to operational continuity and data recovery. Your Montreal business can utilize Progent's post-attack ransomware forensics report to counter subsequent ransomware attacks, assist in the cleanup of encrypted data, and comply with insurance and governmental reporting requirements.
Ransomware forensics is aimed at determining and documenting the ransomware assault's storyline throughout the targeted network from start to finish. This audit trail of the way a ransomware assault progressed through the network helps your IT staff to assess the impact and brings to light shortcomings in policies or processes that should be rectified to prevent future break-ins. Forensics is commonly assigned a top priority by the insurance carrier and is typically mandated by state and industry regulations. Because forensics can be time consuming, it is critical that other key recovery processes such as operational resumption are executed in parallel. Progent has a large team of information technology and data security experts with the skills required to perform the work of containment, business resumption, and data recovery without disrupting forensic analysis.
Ransomware forensics analysis is time consuming and calls for intimate cooperation with the teams responsible for file recovery and, if needed, settlement negotiation with the ransomware Threat Actor. forensics can require the review of logs, registry, Group Policy Object (GPO), Active Directory, DNS, routers, firewalls, scheduled tasks, and core Windows systems to detect variations.
Services involved with forensics include:
- Disconnect but avoid shutting off all possibly suspect devices from the system. This may require closing all RDP ports and Internet connected network-attached storage, modifying admin credentials and user passwords, and setting up two-factor authentication to protect your backups.
- Copy forensically sound images of all suspect devices so the file recovery team can get started
- Save firewall, virtual private network, and additional key logs as quickly as possible
- Determine the variety of ransomware used in the attack
- Examine each machine and data store on the system as well as cloud storage for indications of compromise
- Inventory all compromised devices
- Determine the kind of ransomware involved in the assault
- Review log activity and user sessions to determine the timeline of the ransomware attack and to identify any potential sideways migration from the originally compromised system
- Understand the attack vectors exploited to carry out the ransomware attack
- Search for new executables associated with the first encrypted files or network breach
- Parse Outlook PST files
- Analyze email attachments
- Extract URLs from email messages and determine if they are malware
- Provide comprehensive attack reporting to satisfy your insurance carrier and compliance mandates
- Document recommendations to shore up cybersecurity vulnerabilities and improve processes that lower the exposure to a future ransomware exploit
Progent has delivered remote and on-premises IT services across the United States for more than two decades and has been awarded Microsoft's Gold Partner certification in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity competencies. Progent's team of subject matter experts (SBEs) includes consultants who have earned high-level certifications in core technology platforms including Cisco networking, VMware virtualization, and major distributions of Linux. Progent's data security experts have earned prestigious certifications including CISA, CISSP-ISSAP, and GIAC. (Refer to Progent's certifications). Progent also has guidance in financial management and ERP application software. This broad array of expertise gives Progent the ability to identify and consolidate the surviving pieces of your information system following a ransomware assault and reconstruct them quickly into an operational system. Progent has worked with leading insurance providers including Chubb to assist businesses clean up after ransomware assaults.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Analysis Services in Montreal
To find out more information about how Progent can help your Montreal business with ransomware forensics investigation, call 1-800-462-8800 or see Contact Progent.