Progent's Ransomware Forensics and Reporting in Montreal
Progent's ransomware forensics experts can capture the system state after a ransomware assault and perform a detailed forensics analysis without interfering with activity related to operational continuity and data restoration. Your Montreal business can use Progent's forensics documentation to combat subsequent ransomware assaults, assist in the cleanup of lost data, and meet insurance carrier and regulatory mandates.
Ransomware forensics investigation involves discovering and describing the ransomware attack's storyline across the targeted network from beginning to end. This audit trail of the way a ransomware attack travelled through the network assists your IT staff to evaluate the damage and brings to light gaps in rules or processes that need to be rectified to avoid future break-ins. Forensic analysis is typically given a high priority by the insurance carrier and is often mandated by government and industry regulations. Because forensics can be time consuming, it is critical that other key activities such as operational continuity are pursued concurrently. Progent maintains a large team of IT and security experts with the knowledge and experience needed to perform activities for containment, business resumption, and data recovery without disrupting forensic analysis.
Ransomware forensics investigation is complicated and requires close interaction with the groups assigned to data cleanup and, if necessary, settlement negotiation with the ransomware Threat Actor. Ransomware forensics typically require the examination of logs, registry, Group Policy Object, Active Directory, DNS, routers, firewalls, scheduled tasks, and basic Windows systems to look for anomalies.
Activities associated with forensics investigation include:
- Isolate without shutting off all possibly affected devices from the system. This may require closing all Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) ports and Internet connected NAS storage, modifying admin credentials and user passwords, and configuring 2FA to guard your backups.
- Capture forensically valid images of all exposed devices so the file recovery group can proceed
- Save firewall, VPN, and additional key logs as quickly as feasible
- Identify the kind of ransomware used in the assault
- Inspect every machine and storage device on the network including cloud storage for signs of compromise
- Inventory all encrypted devices
- Determine the kind of ransomware used in the assault
- Study log activity and sessions to determine the time frame of the assault and to identify any possible sideways movement from the first compromised machine
- Understand the security gaps exploited to carry out the ransomware assault
- Look for new executables associated with the first encrypted files or system compromise
- Parse Outlook web archives
- Examine email attachments
- Separate any URLs embedded in messages and check to see whether they are malicious
- Produce detailed incident documentation to meet your insurance carrier and compliance mandates
- Suggest recommended improvements to shore up security vulnerabilities and improve processes that reduce the risk of a future ransomware breach
Progent has delivered remote and onsite IT services throughout the U.S. for over two decades and has earned Microsoft's Gold Partner certification in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity competencies. Progent's team of subject matter experts (SMEs) includes professionals who have been awarded high-level certifications in foundation technology platforms such as Cisco infrastructure, VMware, and popular Linux distros. Progent's data security experts have earned prestigious certifications such as CISM, CISSP-ISSAP, and CRISC. (See Progent's certifications). Progent also offers top-tier support in financial and ERP software. This broad array of expertise gives Progent the ability to identify and integrate the undamaged pieces of your IT environment following a ransomware assault and reconstruct them rapidly into a viable network. Progent has collaborated with top cyber insurance providers including Chubb to assist businesses clean up after ransomware assaults.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Investigation Expertise in Montreal
To learn more about how Progent can help your Montreal business with ransomware forensics investigation, call 1-800-462-8800 or see Contact Progent.