Overview of Progent's Ransomware Forensics and Reporting in Montreal
Progent's ransomware forensics experts can save the system state after a ransomware attack and perform a comprehensive forensics analysis without disrupting the processes required for business resumption and data recovery. Your Montreal organization can use Progent's forensics documentation to combat future ransomware assaults, assist in the recovery of lost data, and comply with insurance and regulatory mandates.
Ransomware forensics analysis is aimed at determining and describing the ransomware assault's storyline throughout the network from start to finish. This audit trail of the way a ransomware attack travelled through the network assists your IT staff to evaluate the damage and uncovers gaps in security policies or processes that should be corrected to avoid future breaches. Forensic analysis is commonly given a top priority by the cyber insurance provider and is typically mandated by government and industry regulations. Because forensic analysis can take time, it is critical that other important recovery processes such as business continuity are pursued concurrently. Progent maintains an extensive roster of information technology and security professionals with the knowledge and experience required to carry out the work of containment, operational resumption, and data restoration without interfering with forensic analysis.
Ransomware forensics investigation is complex and requires close cooperation with the teams responsible for data restoration and, if needed, settlement discussions with the ransomware Threat Actor. Ransomware forensics can involve the review of logs, registry, Group Policy Object (GPO), AD, DNS servers, routers, firewalls, scheduled tasks, and basic Windows systems to detect changes.
Services involved with forensics include:
- Detach without shutting down all potentially impacted devices from the system. This may require closing all Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) ports and Internet connected NAS storage, modifying admin credentials and user passwords, and implementing two-factor authentication to secure backups.
- Preserve forensically complete images of all suspect devices so the file restoration team can get started
- Preserve firewall, VPN, and other critical logs as soon as possible
- Determine the kind of ransomware involved in the attack
- Inspect every machine and storage device on the system including cloud-hosted storage for indications of compromise
- Catalog all encrypted devices
- Establish the kind of ransomware used in the attack
- Review logs and user sessions to determine the time frame of the assault and to spot any potential sideways movement from the originally infected machine
- Understand the attack vectors exploited to carry out the ransomware attack
- Look for new executables associated with the original encrypted files or system compromise
- Parse Outlook web archives
- Analyze email attachments
- Extract URLs embedded in email messages and determine if they are malicious
- Produce comprehensive attack reporting to satisfy your insurance and compliance regulations
- Suggest recommendations to close security vulnerabilities and enforce workflows that lower the risk of a future ransomware breach
Progent has delivered remote and on-premises network services throughout the United States for over 20 years and has been awarded Microsoft's Gold Partner designation in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity competencies. Progent's team of subject matter experts (SMEs) includes consultants who have earned high-level certifications in foundation technologies including Cisco infrastructure, VMware virtualization, and popular distributions of Linux. Progent's cybersecurity experts have earned industry-recognized certifications such as CISM, CISSP-ISSAP, and CRISC. (Refer to certifications earned by Progent consultants). Progent also offers guidance in financial and Enterprise Resource Planning software. This scope of skills allows Progent to identify and integrate the surviving pieces of your information system after a ransomware intrusion and rebuild them rapidly into a viable system. Progent has worked with top cyber insurance carriers including Chubb to help organizations recover from ransomware attacks.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Investigation Services in Montreal
To learn more about how Progent can assist your Montreal organization with ransomware forensics analysis, call 1-800-462-8800 or visit Contact Progent.