Overview of Progent's Ransomware Forensics Analysis and Reporting in Cabo Frio
Progent's ransomware forensics consultants can preserve the evidence of a ransomware attack and perform a detailed forensics investigation without disrupting the processes required for business resumption and data restoration. Your Cabo Frio organization can use Progent's post-attack ransomware forensics report to counter future ransomware attacks, validate the recovery of encrypted data, and meet insurance and regulatory mandates.
Ransomware forensics investigation is aimed at tracking and describing the ransomware attack's storyline throughout the network from beginning to end. This history of the way a ransomware assault progressed through the network helps your IT staff to evaluate the damage and uncovers vulnerabilities in rules or work habits that should be rectified to prevent later breaches. Forensics is commonly given a high priority by the insurance provider and is often required by state and industry regulations. Since forensics can be time consuming, it is critical that other important activities like business continuity are pursued concurrently. Progent maintains a large team of information technology and cybersecurity professionals with the skills needed to perform activities for containment, business resumption, and data recovery without disrupting forensic analysis.
Ransomware forensics is time consuming and requires intimate cooperation with the groups assigned to data cleanup and, if necessary, payment discussions with the ransomware hacker. Ransomware forensics typically require the examination of all logs, registry, Group Policy Object (GPO), Active Directory (AD), DNS servers, routers, firewalls, schedulers, and basic Windows systems to detect variations.
Activities involved with forensics investigation include:
- Detach but avoid shutting down all potentially affected devices from the system. This can require closing all RDP ports and Internet connected NAS storage, changing admin credentials and user PWs, and setting up 2FA to guard backups.
- Create forensically complete images of all suspect devices so the data recovery group can get started
- Save firewall, VPN, and other critical logs as quickly as possible
- Determine the version of ransomware used in the assault
- Examine every machine and storage device on the network including cloud storage for signs of compromise
- Inventory all encrypted devices
- Establish the type of ransomware involved in the assault
- Study logs and user sessions in order to establish the time frame of the ransomware attack and to spot any potential sideways migration from the first infected machine
- Identify the attack vectors exploited to carry out the ransomware assault
- Look for the creation of executables surrounding the first encrypted files or network breach
- Parse Outlook web archives
- Analyze email attachments
- Separate any URLs from email messages and determine if they are malicious
- Produce extensive incident reporting to satisfy your insurance and compliance mandates
- List recommended improvements to close cybersecurity vulnerabilities and enforce processes that lower the risk of a future ransomware breach
Progent has provided remote and onsite IT services across the U.S. for over two decades and has earned Microsoft's Gold Partner certification in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity practice areas. Progent's roster of SMEs includes consultants who have earned high-level certifications in core technologies including Cisco networking, VMware virtualization, and popular Linux distros. Progent's cybersecurity consultants have earned industry-recognized certifications such as CISA, CISSP-ISSAP, and GIAC. (See Progent's certifications). Progent also has top-tier support in financial management and ERP applications. This breadth of expertise allows Progent to salvage and integrate the undamaged pieces of your information system following a ransomware assault and rebuild them quickly into a viable system. Progent has worked with leading cyber insurance providers like Chubb to help businesses clean up after ransomware attacks.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Expertise in Cabo Frio
To find out more about ways Progent can assist your Cabo Frio business with ransomware forensics, call 1-800-462-8800 or visit Contact Progent.