Overview of Progent's Ransomware Forensics and Reporting Services in Morgan Hill
Progent's ransomware forensics experts can capture the evidence of a ransomware attack and carry out a comprehensive forensics investigation without interfering with the processes related to business resumption and data recovery. Your Morgan Hill organization can use Progent's post-attack forensics documentation to block future ransomware assaults, assist in the recovery of lost data, and meet insurance and regulatory reporting requirements.
Ransomware forensics investigation involves determining and describing the ransomware assault's progress throughout the targeted network from beginning to end. This history of how a ransomware attack travelled within the network assists you to evaluate the damage and brings to light shortcomings in security policies or processes that should be rectified to prevent future break-ins. Forensic analysis is typically assigned a top priority by the insurance carrier and is often mandated by state and industry regulations. Because forensic analysis can be time consuming, it is critical that other important activities such as operational continuity are executed concurrently. Progent maintains an extensive roster of IT and data security experts with the knowledge and experience required to perform activities for containment, business continuity, and data recovery without disrupting forensic analysis.
Ransomware forensics is complex and calls for intimate cooperation with the teams assigned to data recovery and, if necessary, payment talks with the ransomware Threat Actor (TA). Ransomware forensics typically involve the examination of logs, registry, GPO, Active Directory (AD), DNS servers, routers, firewalls, scheduled tasks, and core Windows systems to check for changes.
Services involved with forensics include:
- Detach without shutting off all possibly suspect devices from the system. This may require closing all RDP ports and Internet facing NAS storage, modifying admin credentials and user passwords, and configuring 2FA to secure your backups.
- Create forensically complete digital images of all suspect devices so your data restoration team can get started
- Save firewall, virtual private network, and additional critical logs as quickly as feasible
- Identify the type of ransomware involved in the attack
- Survey each machine and data store on the system including cloud storage for signs of encryption
- Catalog all encrypted devices
- Determine the type of ransomware used in the attack
- Review log activity and user sessions in order to establish the time frame of the attack and to spot any potential sideways migration from the first infected system
- Understand the security gaps used to perpetrate the ransomware assault
- Search for new executables surrounding the original encrypted files or network compromise
- Parse Outlook PST files
- Analyze email attachments
- Extract any URLs from messages and check to see if they are malware
- Produce comprehensive attack reporting to meet your insurance and compliance requirements
- List recommended improvements to shore up cybersecurity gaps and improve workflows that lower the risk of a future ransomware breach
Progent has delivered online and on-premises IT services throughout the U.S. for more than 20 years and has been awarded Microsoft's Gold Partner designation in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity practice areas. Progent's team of subject matter experts includes professionals who have earned high-level certifications in core technology platforms including Cisco networking, VMware, and major distributions of Linux. Progent's data security consultants have earned internationally recognized certifications including CISM, CISSP-ISSAP, and GIAC. (See certifications earned by Progent consultants). Progent also has guidance in financial management and ERP software. This broad array of expertise allows Progent to salvage and integrate the surviving parts of your IT environment after a ransomware attack and reconstruct them quickly into a functioning network. Progent has collaborated with leading insurance providers including Chubb to help organizations recover from ransomware assaults.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Investigation Services in Morgan Hill
To find out more information about how Progent can assist your Morgan Hill business with ransomware forensics, call 1-800-462-8800 or visit Contact Progent.