Progent's Ransomware Forensics Investigation and Reporting in Morgan Hill
Progent's ransomware forensics experts can preserve the system state after a ransomware assault and carry out a detailed forensics analysis without disrupting activity related to operational continuity and data recovery. Your Morgan Hill business can use Progent's ransomware forensics report to block subsequent ransomware attacks, assist in the restoration of encrypted data, and comply with insurance and regulatory requirements.
Ransomware forensics analysis is aimed at tracking and describing the ransomware assault's storyline across the network from start to finish. This history of the way a ransomware attack travelled through the network helps your IT staff to evaluate the impact and brings to light weaknesses in security policies or processes that need to be corrected to prevent future breaches. Forensic analysis is commonly given a high priority by the insurance carrier and is often mandated by government and industry regulations. Because forensics can be time consuming, it is critical that other key activities such as business resumption are pursued concurrently. Progent maintains a large team of IT and security experts with the knowledge and experience required to perform the work of containment, operational resumption, and data restoration without disrupting forensics.
Ransomware forensics analysis is time consuming and requires close interaction with the teams focused on data cleanup and, if necessary, settlement negotiation with the ransomware Threat Actor (TA). Ransomware forensics typically require the examination of all logs, registry, GPO, Active Directory (AD), DNS, routers, firewalls, scheduled tasks, and basic Windows systems to detect changes.
Activities involved with forensics include:
- Isolate but avoid shutting down all potentially affected devices from the network. This can involve closing all RDP ports and Internet connected NAS storage, modifying admin credentials and user PWs, and setting up two-factor authentication to secure your backups.
- Copy forensically complete duplicates of all exposed devices so your data restoration group can proceed
- Preserve firewall, VPN, and additional critical logs as quickly as possible
- Identify the variety of ransomware used in the attack
- Examine each machine and storage device on the system including cloud storage for indications of compromise
- Catalog all encrypted devices
- Determine the kind of ransomware used in the attack
- Study logs and user sessions in order to establish the timeline of the ransomware assault and to spot any possible lateral movement from the originally infected machine
- Understand the attack vectors used to perpetrate the ransomware attack
- Look for new executables surrounding the original encrypted files or system breach
- Parse Outlook PST files
- Analyze email attachments
- Separate any URLs embedded in email messages and check to see if they are malicious
- Provide extensive attack documentation to meet your insurance carrier and compliance mandates
- Document recommended improvements to close security vulnerabilities and improve processes that reduce the risk of a future ransomware exploit
Progent has delivered online and on-premises network services throughout the U.S. for over 20 years and has earned Microsoft's Gold Partner certification in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity practice areas. Progent's team of subject matter experts includes professionals who have earned advanced certifications in core technology platforms such as Cisco infrastructure, VMware, and popular distributions of Linux. Progent's cybersecurity consultants have earned internationally recognized certifications such as CISM, CISSP-ISSAP, and GIAC. (See Progent's certifications). Progent also has guidance in financial management and ERP application software. This scope of skills allows Progent to identify and integrate the surviving pieces of your information system after a ransomware intrusion and reconstruct them quickly into a viable network. Progent has worked with leading insurance providers including Chubb to help businesses recover from ransomware attacks.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Investigation Expertise in Morgan Hill
To learn more information about ways Progent can help your Morgan Hill organization with ransomware forensics, call 1-800-462-8800 or visit Contact Progent.