Overview of Progent's Ransomware Forensics Analysis and Reporting Services in Oakland
Progent's ransomware forensics consultants can capture the system state after a ransomware attack and perform a detailed forensics investigation without interfering with activity required for business continuity and data restoration. Your Oakland organization can utilize Progent's ransomware forensics report to combat subsequent ransomware attacks, assist in the restoration of lost data, and meet insurance and regulatory reporting requirements.
Ransomware forensics involves discovering and describing the ransomware assault's storyline throughout the targeted network from start to finish. This history of how a ransomware attack travelled within the network helps your IT staff to evaluate the impact and brings to light weaknesses in rules or work habits that should be corrected to prevent later breaches. Forensics is commonly given a top priority by the cyber insurance carrier and is typically mandated by state and industry regulations. Since forensics can take time, it is vital that other important recovery processes such as operational continuity are executed in parallel. Progent maintains a large team of IT and data security experts with the skills required to perform activities for containment, operational continuity, and data restoration without interfering with forensic analysis.
Ransomware forensics is complex and requires close cooperation with the groups assigned to file cleanup and, if needed, payment negotiation with the ransomware Threat Actor. forensics typically require the review of logs, registry, Group Policy Object, Active Directory (AD), DNS, routers, firewalls, schedulers, and basic Windows systems to check for changes.
Activities involved with forensics analysis include:
- Detach without shutting down all potentially affected devices from the network. This can require closing all RDP ports and Internet connected network-attached storage, modifying admin credentials and user passwords, and setting up 2FA to guard backups.
- Preserve forensically complete digital images of all suspect devices so your data restoration team can get started
- Save firewall, VPN, and other critical logs as quickly as possible
- Identify the variety of ransomware used in the attack
- Survey every computer and storage device on the network including cloud storage for signs of compromise
- Catalog all encrypted devices
- Establish the type of ransomware used in the attack
- Study log activity and sessions to determine the timeline of the ransomware assault and to spot any possible lateral movement from the first compromised system
- Understand the attack vectors exploited to perpetrate the ransomware assault
- Search for new executables surrounding the original encrypted files or network breach
- Parse Outlook web archives
- Examine email attachments
- Separate URLs embedded in messages and determine if they are malicious
- Produce comprehensive attack documentation to satisfy your insurance carrier and compliance requirements
- Document recommended improvements to close cybersecurity gaps and improve processes that lower the risk of a future ransomware exploit
Progent has provided online and on-premises IT services across the U.S. for more than two decades and has earned Microsoft's Gold Partner designation in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity practice areas. Progent's roster of subject matter experts includes consultants who have earned high-level certifications in foundation technology platforms such as Cisco networking, VMware, and popular distributions of Linux. Progent's cybersecurity experts have earned industry-recognized certifications such as CISA, CISSP, and GIAC. (Refer to certifications earned by Progent consultants). Progent also offers top-tier support in financial and ERP application software. This scope of expertise allows Progent to salvage and integrate the undamaged pieces of your IT environment after a ransomware assault and reconstruct them rapidly into a viable network. Progent has worked with leading cyber insurance carriers like Chubb to assist businesses clean up after ransomware assaults.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Expertise in Oakland
To find out more about ways Progent can assist your Oakland organization with ransomware forensics, call 1-800-462-8800 or visit Contact Progent.