Progent's Ransomware Forensics Analysis and Reporting in Oakland
Progent's ransomware forensics experts can capture the evidence of a ransomware assault and perform a detailed forensics investigation without interfering with activity required for operational continuity and data recovery. Your Oakland organization can utilize Progent's post-attack ransomware forensics documentation to block subsequent ransomware attacks, assist in the cleanup of lost data, and meet insurance carrier and governmental requirements.
Ransomware forensics analysis is aimed at discovering and documenting the ransomware assault's storyline throughout the targeted network from beginning to end. This audit trail of how a ransomware assault progressed through the network helps you to assess the impact and highlights gaps in security policies or work habits that need to be corrected to avoid later breaches. Forensics is commonly assigned a high priority by the cyber insurance provider and is typically required by government and industry regulations. Because forensics can be time consuming, it is essential that other important activities like business resumption are executed in parallel. Progent has a large roster of information technology and data security experts with the knowledge and experience needed to perform activities for containment, operational continuity, and data restoration without interfering with forensics.
Ransomware forensics is complex and calls for intimate cooperation with the teams assigned to data restoration and, if necessary, settlement discussions with the ransomware Threat Actor (TA). Ransomware forensics can involve the examination of logs, registry, Group Policy Object, Active Directory (AD), DNS, routers, firewalls, schedulers, and core Windows systems to look for anomalies.
Activities associated with forensics analysis include:
- Isolate without shutting down all potentially affected devices from the network. This can involve closing all RDP ports and Internet connected NAS storage, modifying admin credentials and user passwords, and configuring two-factor authentication to protect your backups.
- Preserve forensically complete digital images of all exposed devices so your file restoration group can proceed
- Save firewall, virtual private network, and additional critical logs as quickly as possible
- Determine the type of ransomware used in the assault
- Examine each computer and storage device on the system as well as cloud storage for signs of compromise
- Catalog all encrypted devices
- Establish the kind of ransomware used in the attack
- Review logs and user sessions to determine the timeline of the attack and to identify any possible sideways movement from the originally infected system
- Understand the security gaps used to perpetrate the ransomware assault
- Look for new executables associated with the first encrypted files or system breach
- Parse Outlook web archives
- Examine attachments
- Extract any URLs embedded in email messages and determine whether they are malicious
- Provide detailed attack reporting to satisfy your insurance carrier and compliance mandates
- List recommended improvements to shore up security gaps and improve processes that reduce the risk of a future ransomware exploit
Progent has delivered online and on-premises IT services across the U.S. for more than two decades and has earned Microsoft's Gold Partner designation in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity practice areas. Progent's roster of subject matter experts includes consultants who have been awarded high-level certifications in core technologies such as Cisco networking, VMware virtualization, and popular Linux distros. Progent's cybersecurity consultants have earned prestigious certifications such as CISM, CISSP-ISSAP, and CRISC. (See Progent's certifications). Progent also offers top-tier support in financial management and ERP applications. This broad array of expertise allows Progent to salvage and consolidate the surviving pieces of your information system after a ransomware assault and rebuild them rapidly into an operational network. Progent has collaborated with top cyber insurance providers like Chubb to assist organizations clean up after ransomware attacks.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Analysis Services in Oakland
To learn more about ways Progent can assist your Oakland business with ransomware forensics analysis, call 1-800-462-8800 or visit Contact Progent.