Overview of Progent's Ransomware Forensics Investigation and Reporting in Oakland
Progent's ransomware forensics consultants can preserve the system state after a ransomware attack and carry out a detailed forensics investigation without interfering with activity required for business resumption and data restoration. Your Oakland business can utilize Progent's post-attack ransomware forensics documentation to block subsequent ransomware assaults, assist in the recovery of lost data, and comply with insurance carrier and governmental mandates.
Ransomware forensics analysis is aimed at determining and documenting the ransomware attack's storyline across the targeted network from beginning to end. This history of how a ransomware attack progressed through the network helps you to assess the impact and brings to light shortcomings in rules or processes that should be rectified to avoid future break-ins. Forensic analysis is typically given a top priority by the cyber insurance provider and is typically mandated by government and industry regulations. Because forensics can take time, it is essential that other key recovery processes such as operational continuity are pursued concurrently. Progent has a large team of information technology and cybersecurity professionals with the knowledge and experience needed to carry out activities for containment, business resumption, and data restoration without disrupting forensic analysis.
Ransomware forensics is arduous and calls for close cooperation with the teams responsible for data recovery and, if needed, payment discussions with the ransomware Threat Actor (TA). Ransomware forensics typically involve the examination of all logs, registry, Group Policy Object, AD, DNS servers, routers, firewalls, scheduled tasks, and basic Windows systems to check for changes.
Activities involved with forensics analysis include:
- Detach without shutting down all possibly impacted devices from the system. This may involve closing all RDP ports and Internet connected NAS storage, changing admin credentials and user PWs, and setting up two-factor authentication to secure backups.
- Create forensically complete digital images of all exposed devices so your data restoration team can proceed
- Preserve firewall, VPN, and additional critical logs as soon as possible
- Identify the variety of ransomware used in the assault
- Examine every machine and storage device on the network as well as cloud-hosted storage for indications of encryption
- Catalog all encrypted devices
- Determine the type of ransomware used in the attack
- Study log activity and user sessions in order to determine the timeline of the attack and to identify any possible lateral movement from the first compromised system
- Identify the security gaps used to perpetrate the ransomware assault
- Look for the creation of executables associated with the original encrypted files or system compromise
- Parse Outlook web archives
- Analyze email attachments
- Extract URLs embedded in messages and check to see if they are malware
- Provide extensive attack reporting to satisfy your insurance and compliance requirements
- Document recommended improvements to close cybersecurity gaps and improve workflows that lower the risk of a future ransomware breach
Progent has delivered online and onsite IT services across the U.S. for over 20 years and has been awarded Microsoft's Gold Partner certification in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity competencies. Progent's roster of subject matter experts includes professionals who have earned advanced certifications in core technology platforms such as Cisco infrastructure, VMware, and popular Linux distros. Progent's data security experts have earned internationally recognized certifications such as CISM, CISSP, and GIAC. (Refer to certifications earned by Progent consultants). Progent also has top-tier support in financial management and Enterprise Resource Planning software. This broad array of expertise allows Progent to identify and consolidate the surviving parts of your information system following a ransomware assault and reconstruct them quickly into a viable network. Progent has worked with leading insurance providers like Chubb to assist organizations clean up after ransomware assaults.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Investigation Expertise in Oakland
To find out more about how Progent can assist your Oakland business with ransomware forensics analysis, call 1-800-993-9400 or see Contact Progent.