Overview of Progent's Ransomware Forensics Investigation and Reporting in Valencia
Progent's ransomware forensics consultants can save the evidence of a ransomware assault and carry out a comprehensive forensics investigation without impeding the processes required for operational resumption and data restoration. Your Valencia business can use Progent's ransomware forensics documentation to counter subsequent ransomware attacks, validate the recovery of lost data, and comply with insurance carrier and governmental requirements.
Ransomware forensics investigation involves discovering and documenting the ransomware attack's storyline across the network from start to finish. This history of the way a ransomware attack progressed through the network assists your IT staff to assess the damage and uncovers weaknesses in rules or work habits that should be corrected to avoid future break-ins. Forensic analysis is commonly assigned a high priority by the cyber insurance provider and is typically required by government and industry regulations. Because forensic analysis can take time, it is critical that other key activities like business continuity are performed in parallel. Progent maintains an extensive team of IT and cybersecurity experts with the skills required to carry out activities for containment, operational resumption, and data recovery without interfering with forensics.
Ransomware forensics analysis is time consuming and calls for intimate cooperation with the teams focused on file cleanup and, if needed, payment talks with the ransomware Threat Actor (TA). forensics typically involve the review of logs, registry, GPO, Active Directory, DNS, routers, firewalls, scheduled tasks, and core Windows systems to look for anomalies.
Activities associated with forensics analysis include:
- Disconnect without shutting off all potentially suspect devices from the network. This can involve closing all Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) ports and Internet facing network-attached storage, changing admin credentials and user passwords, and setting up two-factor authentication to secure backups.
- Copy forensically valid images of all suspect devices so your data recovery group can get started
- Save firewall, virtual private network, and other key logs as soon as feasible
- Identify the kind of ransomware involved in the attack
- Inspect each machine and data store on the system including cloud-hosted storage for indications of encryption
- Catalog all compromised devices
- Determine the kind of ransomware involved in the assault
- Review logs and sessions to determine the timeline of the ransomware attack and to spot any possible sideways migration from the originally compromised system
- Understand the attack vectors used to carry out the ransomware attack
- Look for new executables associated with the original encrypted files or network compromise
- Parse Outlook web archives
- Analyze email attachments
- Extract any URLs embedded in email messages and determine if they are malicious
- Produce comprehensive attack documentation to satisfy your insurance carrier and compliance regulations
- List recommendations to shore up cybersecurity gaps and enforce processes that reduce the exposure to a future ransomware exploit
Progent has delivered remote and on-premises network services throughout the United States for over 20 years and has been awarded Microsoft's Gold Partner designation in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity competencies. Progent's roster of SMEs includes professionals who have been awarded advanced certifications in core technologies including Cisco infrastructure, VMware, and major distributions of Linux. Progent's cybersecurity consultants have earned industry-recognized certifications such as CISM, CISSP, and CRISC. (Refer to Progent's certifications). Progent also offers guidance in financial and ERP application software. This scope of skills allows Progent to identify and integrate the surviving pieces of your information system after a ransomware assault and rebuild them rapidly into an operational system. Progent has worked with leading insurance carriers like Chubb to help organizations clean up after ransomware attacks.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Investigation Expertise in Valencia
To learn more about how Progent can assist your Valencia organization with ransomware forensics investigation, call 1-800-462-8800 or visit Contact Progent.