Progent's Ransomware Forensics Analysis and Reporting in Monterey
Progent's ransomware forensics consultants can save the evidence of a ransomware attack and carry out a detailed forensics investigation without disrupting activity related to operational continuity and data restoration. Your Monterey business can use Progent's forensics documentation to block subsequent ransomware assaults, assist in the cleanup of lost data, and comply with insurance carrier and governmental requirements.
Ransomware forensics analysis involves discovering and describing the ransomware assault's storyline across the network from start to finish. This history of how a ransomware attack travelled through the network helps you to evaluate the impact and brings to light weaknesses in rules or work habits that should be corrected to avoid later breaches. Forensic analysis is usually assigned a top priority by the insurance carrier and is typically mandated by state and industry regulations. Since forensic analysis can be time consuming, it is critical that other important recovery processes such as business continuity are pursued in parallel. Progent maintains an extensive team of information technology and cybersecurity experts with the skills needed to perform activities for containment, business resumption, and data restoration without interfering with forensic analysis.
Ransomware forensics is complicated and requires intimate cooperation with the teams responsible for data cleanup and, if needed, settlement negotiation with the ransomware Threat Actor (TA). forensics typically involve the review of logs, registry, Group Policy Object (GPO), AD, DNS servers, routers, firewalls, scheduled tasks, and basic Windows systems to detect anomalies.
Activities associated with forensics include:
- Detach but avoid shutting off all potentially suspect devices from the system. This may require closing all Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) ports and Internet connected NAS storage, changing admin credentials and user passwords, and configuring 2FA to guard your backups.
- Create forensically complete digital images of all exposed devices so the data restoration team can proceed
- Save firewall, VPN, and other critical logs as quickly as possible
- Determine the type of ransomware involved in the assault
- Inspect each machine and data store on the network including cloud storage for indications of compromise
- Inventory all compromised devices
- Establish the type of ransomware involved in the attack
- Study log activity and user sessions to establish the timeline of the ransomware assault and to spot any possible lateral movement from the first compromised system
- Understand the security gaps exploited to perpetrate the ransomware assault
- Look for new executables associated with the original encrypted files or system breach
- Parse Outlook web archives
- Analyze email attachments
- Extract URLs embedded in email messages and determine whether they are malicious
- Provide comprehensive attack documentation to satisfy your insurance and compliance mandates
- Suggest recommendations to shore up cybersecurity gaps and enforce workflows that reduce the exposure to a future ransomware breach
Progent has delivered online and onsite network services across the United States for more than 20 years and has earned Microsoft's Gold Partner designation in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity competencies. Progent's team of SMEs includes consultants who have earned advanced certifications in foundation technology platforms such as Cisco networking, VMware virtualization, and popular Linux distros. Progent's cybersecurity experts have earned industry-recognized certifications including CISA, CISSP-ISSAP, and CRISC. (Refer to certifications earned by Progent consultants). Progent also has guidance in financial and ERP software. This scope of expertise allows Progent to identify and integrate the surviving pieces of your network after a ransomware assault and reconstruct them quickly into an operational network. Progent has worked with leading insurance providers like Chubb to help organizations recover from ransomware attacks.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Investigation Expertise in Monterey
To find out more information about how Progent can help your Monterey business with ransomware forensics analysis, call 1-800-462-8800 or see Contact Progent.