Progent's Ransomware Forensics Investigation and Reporting Services in Monterey
Progent's ransomware forensics experts can save the system state after a ransomware attack and perform a comprehensive forensics analysis without disrupting the processes required for operational continuity and data restoration. Your Monterey business can utilize Progent's post-attack forensics report to combat subsequent ransomware attacks, validate the cleanup of lost data, and meet insurance carrier and regulatory reporting requirements.
Ransomware forensics is aimed at determining and documenting the ransomware attack's storyline across the network from start to finish. This audit trail of how a ransomware attack travelled within the network assists your IT staff to assess the damage and highlights shortcomings in rules or processes that should be corrected to avoid later breaches. Forensics is typically assigned a high priority by the cyber insurance carrier and is often required by state and industry regulations. Since forensics can be time consuming, it is vital that other key recovery processes such as operational resumption are pursued in parallel. Progent has a large team of information technology and data security professionals with the knowledge and experience needed to perform the work of containment, operational continuity, and data recovery without disrupting forensics.
Ransomware forensics analysis is arduous and requires close cooperation with the teams assigned to file restoration and, if necessary, settlement discussions with the ransomware hacker. forensics typically require the review of logs, registry, Group Policy Object, Active Directory, DNS servers, routers, firewalls, scheduled tasks, and core Windows systems to look for anomalies.
Activities involved with forensics investigation include:
- Disconnect but avoid shutting off all possibly suspect devices from the system. This may involve closing all RDP ports and Internet connected network-attached storage, modifying admin credentials and user passwords, and implementing 2FA to protect backups.
- Preserve forensically sound images of all exposed devices so your file restoration group can get started
- Preserve firewall, VPN, and additional critical logs as soon as possible
- Determine the strain of ransomware involved in the assault
- Survey each computer and data store on the system including cloud-hosted storage for signs of compromise
- Catalog all encrypted devices
- Establish the type of ransomware involved in the attack
- Study log activity and sessions in order to establish the timeline of the assault and to identify any potential sideways movement from the originally infected machine
- Understand the attack vectors used to carry out the ransomware assault
- Look for the creation of executables surrounding the original encrypted files or network breach
- Parse Outlook web archives
- Analyze email attachments
- Extract URLs from email messages and determine whether they are malicious
- Provide comprehensive incident documentation to meet your insurance carrier and compliance requirements
- Document recommended improvements to shore up cybersecurity vulnerabilities and enforce workflows that reduce the risk of a future ransomware exploit
Progent has provided remote and on-premises IT services throughout the United States for more than two decades and has earned Microsoft's Gold Partner designation in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity practice areas. Progent's team of subject matter experts includes professionals who have been awarded advanced certifications in core technology platforms such as Cisco infrastructure, VMware virtualization, and popular distributions of Linux. Progent's data security experts have earned prestigious certifications such as CISM, CISSP, and CRISC. (See certifications earned by Progent consultants). Progent also has top-tier support in financial management and ERP software. This broad array of expertise allows Progent to salvage and integrate the surviving pieces of your network after a ransomware assault and rebuild them quickly into a viable system. Progent has worked with top insurance providers including Chubb to assist businesses recover from ransomware assaults.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Investigation Expertise in Monterey
To learn more about ways Progent can help your Monterey business with ransomware forensics, call 1-800-462-8800 or visit Contact Progent.