Overview of Progent's Ransomware Forensics Investigation and Reporting in Ottawa
Progent's ransomware forensics consultants can capture the evidence of a ransomware attack and perform a detailed forensics analysis without slowing down the processes related to business resumption and data recovery. Your Ottawa business can use Progent's forensics report to block future ransomware assaults, validate the recovery of lost data, and comply with insurance carrier and regulatory mandates.
Ransomware forensics investigation is aimed at determining and documenting the ransomware attack's progress across the targeted network from start to finish. This history of how a ransomware assault progressed through the network assists your IT staff to evaluate the damage and brings to light vulnerabilities in security policies or work habits that need to be corrected to avoid future breaches. Forensic analysis is usually assigned a high priority by the cyber insurance provider and is typically mandated by government and industry regulations. Since forensic analysis can be time consuming, it is critical that other important activities such as operational resumption are executed in parallel. Progent has a large team of IT and security experts with the knowledge and experience required to carry out the work of containment, business continuity, and data recovery without disrupting forensics.
Ransomware forensics is complex and calls for close interaction with the teams responsible for file cleanup and, if necessary, settlement negotiation with the ransomware Threat Actor. forensics can involve the review of logs, registry, GPO, Active Directory, DNS servers, routers, firewalls, schedulers, and core Windows systems to detect changes.
Services involved with forensics include:
- Detach without shutting off all potentially suspect devices from the system. This may involve closing all RDP ports and Internet facing network-attached storage, changing admin credentials and user PWs, and implementing 2FA to guard backups.
- Preserve forensically valid images of all exposed devices so your data restoration group can proceed
- Preserve firewall, virtual private network, and additional key logs as quickly as feasible
- Determine the kind of ransomware used in the assault
- Survey each computer and storage device on the system as well as cloud storage for signs of encryption
- Inventory all encrypted devices
- Determine the kind of ransomware used in the attack
- Study log activity and sessions to determine the timeline of the ransomware assault and to identify any possible lateral migration from the originally infected machine
- Identify the security gaps exploited to perpetrate the ransomware assault
- Look for new executables associated with the first encrypted files or system breach
- Parse Outlook PST files
- Examine attachments
- Extract URLs from messages and check to see if they are malware
- Provide extensive attack reporting to satisfy your insurance carrier and compliance mandates
- Document recommended improvements to shore up cybersecurity vulnerabilities and enforce workflows that reduce the risk of a future ransomware breach
Progent has provided online and on-premises network services throughout the U.S. for more than 20 years and has been awarded Microsoft's Gold Partner designation in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity practice areas. Progent's roster of subject matter experts includes professionals who have been awarded high-level certifications in foundation technologies such as Cisco networking, VMware, and popular Linux distros. Progent's cybersecurity consultants have earned prestigious certifications such as CISA, CISSP, and CRISC. (Refer to Progent's certifications). Progent also offers guidance in financial management and Enterprise Resource Planning software. This breadth of skills gives Progent the ability to identify and consolidate the surviving pieces of your IT environment after a ransomware attack and reconstruct them quickly into an operational network. Progent has collaborated with leading cyber insurance carriers including Chubb to help businesses clean up after ransomware assaults.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Investigation Services in Ottawa
To learn more about how Progent can assist your Ottawa business with ransomware forensics investigation, call 1-800-462-8800 or visit Contact Progent.