Progent's Ransomware Forensics Analysis and Reporting in Ottawa
Progent's ransomware forensics consultants can preserve the evidence of a ransomware assault and carry out a comprehensive forensics analysis without impeding the processes related to operational continuity and data recovery. Your Ottawa business can use Progent's ransomware forensics report to combat subsequent ransomware attacks, validate the restoration of lost data, and meet insurance carrier and governmental requirements.
Ransomware forensics investigation involves discovering and documenting the ransomware attack's storyline throughout the network from start to finish. This audit trail of the way a ransomware assault travelled through the network helps your IT staff to evaluate the impact and brings to light gaps in policies or processes that need to be corrected to avoid future breaches. Forensic analysis is typically assigned a top priority by the cyber insurance provider and is often required by state and industry regulations. Since forensics can take time, it is vital that other key recovery processes such as operational continuity are performed in parallel. Progent maintains an extensive roster of IT and cybersecurity experts with the knowledge and experience required to perform the work of containment, operational continuity, and data restoration without disrupting forensics.
Ransomware forensics is complicated and requires close interaction with the teams focused on file recovery and, if necessary, settlement discussions with the ransomware Threat Actor (TA). Ransomware forensics can involve the review of all logs, registry, Group Policy Object, Active Directory, DNS, routers, firewalls, schedulers, and basic Windows systems to check for variations.
Activities involved with forensics analysis include:
- Isolate without shutting off all potentially affected devices from the system. This may involve closing all RDP ports and Internet facing network-attached storage, changing admin credentials and user PWs, and setting up two-factor authentication to guard your backups.
- Capture forensically valid images of all exposed devices so your file restoration team can get started
- Preserve firewall, VPN, and additional key logs as soon as possible
- Identify the type of ransomware used in the attack
- Examine every machine and data store on the network as well as cloud storage for indications of encryption
- Catalog all encrypted devices
- Determine the type of ransomware used in the assault
- Review logs and user sessions in order to determine the timeline of the ransomware assault and to identify any possible lateral movement from the first compromised system
- Understand the security gaps used to perpetrate the ransomware attack
- Search for new executables surrounding the original encrypted files or system breach
- Parse Outlook web archives
- Examine email attachments
- Extract any URLs embedded in messages and determine whether they are malware
- Provide comprehensive incident documentation to meet your insurance carrier and compliance requirements
- Document recommendations to shore up security gaps and enforce processes that reduce the risk of a future ransomware exploit
Progent has delivered online and onsite IT services throughout the United States for over 20 years and has been awarded Microsoft's Gold Partner certification in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity competencies. Progent's team of subject matter experts includes consultants who have been awarded advanced certifications in core technologies such as Cisco infrastructure, VMware, and major Linux distros. Progent's data security consultants have earned prestigious certifications such as CISA, CISSP-ISSAP, and GIAC. (See certifications earned by Progent consultants). Progent also offers top-tier support in financial management and Enterprise Resource Planning software. This broad array of skills allows Progent to salvage and integrate the undamaged parts of your network after a ransomware intrusion and rebuild them rapidly into a functioning network. Progent has collaborated with top cyber insurance providers including Chubb to assist organizations recover from ransomware assaults.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Investigation Expertise in Ottawa
To learn more information about ways Progent can help your Ottawa organization with ransomware forensics investigation, call 1-800-462-8800 or see Contact Progent.