Overview of Progent's Ransomware Forensics Analysis and Reporting in Spartanburg
Progent's ransomware forensics consultants can save the system state after a ransomware attack and carry out a detailed forensics analysis without impeding activity required for business continuity and data recovery. Your Spartanburg business can use Progent's forensics report to counter future ransomware attacks, assist in the cleanup of encrypted data, and comply with insurance and governmental mandates.
Ransomware forensics involves determining and describing the ransomware attack's progress throughout the targeted network from beginning to end. This audit trail of how a ransomware attack travelled through the network helps you to assess the damage and brings to light gaps in security policies or work habits that need to be corrected to prevent future breaches. Forensics is typically given a high priority by the insurance provider and is often mandated by government and industry regulations. Because forensics can take time, it is vital that other important activities like operational resumption are performed concurrently. Progent maintains a large roster of IT and data security professionals with the knowledge and experience required to perform the work of containment, business resumption, and data recovery without interfering with forensic analysis.
Ransomware forensics analysis is time consuming and calls for close interaction with the teams focused on file restoration and, if necessary, payment talks with the ransomware Threat Actor. Ransomware forensics can require the review of logs, registry, Group Policy Object (GPO), Active Directory (AD), DNS, routers, firewalls, schedulers, and core Windows systems to check for anomalies.
Activities involved with forensics analysis include:
- Detach but avoid shutting down all potentially impacted devices from the network. This can involve closing all Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) ports and Internet connected NAS storage, modifying admin credentials and user passwords, and setting up two-factor authentication to guard your backups.
- Preserve forensically sound digital images of all exposed devices so the data restoration group can proceed
- Preserve firewall, virtual private network, and additional key logs as quickly as possible
- Identify the variety of ransomware used in the attack
- Examine every computer and storage device on the system as well as cloud-hosted storage for signs of encryption
- Catalog all encrypted devices
- Establish the type of ransomware involved in the attack
- Study logs and sessions to establish the timeline of the ransomware assault and to spot any possible sideways movement from the first compromised system
- Identify the security gaps exploited to perpetrate the ransomware attack
- Look for the creation of executables surrounding the original encrypted files or system compromise
- Parse Outlook PST files
- Examine attachments
- Extract any URLs embedded in email messages and check to see whether they are malicious
- Produce extensive attack documentation to meet your insurance carrier and compliance mandates
- List recommendations to close cybersecurity gaps and improve processes that lower the risk of a future ransomware exploit
Progent has delivered online and on-premises network services across the U.S. for over two decades and has been awarded Microsoft's Gold Partner certification in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity competencies. Progent's roster of subject matter experts includes consultants who have been awarded high-level certifications in foundation technologies such as Cisco infrastructure, VMware, and popular distributions of Linux. Progent's data security consultants have earned internationally recognized certifications including CISM, CISSP-ISSAP, and CRISC. (See Progent's certifications). Progent also offers guidance in financial management and Enterprise Resource Planning application software. This scope of expertise gives Progent the ability to salvage and integrate the undamaged pieces of your IT environment after a ransomware assault and reconstruct them rapidly into a functioning network. Progent has collaborated with top insurance providers including Chubb to help businesses clean up after ransomware assaults.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Investigation Expertise in Spartanburg
To find out more information about how Progent can assist your Spartanburg organization with ransomware forensics, call 1-800-462-8800 or see Contact Progent.