Overview of Progent's Ransomware Forensics Analysis and Reporting in Stamford
Progent's ransomware forensics consultants can save the evidence of a ransomware assault and perform a comprehensive forensics investigation without slowing down activity required for business continuity and data restoration. Your Stamford business can utilize Progent's post-attack forensics documentation to block subsequent ransomware assaults, validate the restoration of lost data, and meet insurance and regulatory reporting requirements.
Ransomware forensics investigation is aimed at discovering and documenting the ransomware assault's progress throughout the targeted network from beginning to end. This history of the way a ransomware assault travelled through the network assists your IT staff to evaluate the impact and uncovers gaps in policies or work habits that need to be corrected to avoid future breaches. Forensics is typically given a top priority by the insurance carrier and is often mandated by government and industry regulations. Because forensic analysis can take time, it is vital that other important recovery processes such as business continuity are pursued in parallel. Progent has an extensive roster of IT and security professionals with the skills required to perform the work of containment, business resumption, and data recovery without disrupting forensic analysis.
Ransomware forensics analysis is complex and requires intimate cooperation with the groups assigned to file cleanup and, if necessary, payment discussions with the ransomware Threat Actor (TA). Ransomware forensics typically require the review of logs, registry, Group Policy Object (GPO), Active Directory, DNS servers, routers, firewalls, schedulers, and core Windows systems to check for changes.
Activities associated with forensics investigation include:
- Detach without shutting off all potentially impacted devices from the network. This can require closing all Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) ports and Internet facing NAS storage, changing admin credentials and user PWs, and implementing two-factor authentication to secure your backups.
- Capture forensically complete digital images of all suspect devices so the data restoration group can get started
- Preserve firewall, virtual private network, and additional critical logs as soon as possible
- Identify the version of ransomware involved in the attack
- Inspect each computer and data store on the network as well as cloud storage for signs of compromise
- Inventory all encrypted devices
- Establish the type of ransomware used in the assault
- Review log activity and user sessions in order to determine the time frame of the attack and to spot any potential sideways movement from the originally infected machine
- Identify the security gaps used to carry out the ransomware attack
- Search for the creation of executables associated with the first encrypted files or network compromise
- Parse Outlook web archives
- Examine email attachments
- Extract any URLs embedded in email messages and check to see whether they are malicious
- Produce detailed incident documentation to meet your insurance carrier and compliance requirements
- List recommended improvements to shore up security vulnerabilities and improve processes that reduce the exposure to a future ransomware breach
Progent has provided remote and onsite network services throughout the U.S. for more than 20 years and has earned Microsoft's Gold Partner certification in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity practice areas. Progent's team of subject matter experts (SMEs) includes consultants who have earned advanced certifications in foundation technologies including Cisco infrastructure, VMware, and major distributions of Linux. Progent's data security experts have earned internationally recognized certifications such as CISM, CISSP-ISSAP, and GIAC. (See certifications earned by Progent consultants). Progent also has guidance in financial and ERP software. This broad array of skills allows Progent to identify and consolidate the undamaged pieces of your information system following a ransomware attack and rebuild them rapidly into an operational network. Progent has worked with leading cyber insurance carriers like Chubb to assist organizations clean up after ransomware assaults.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Analysis Services in Stamford
To find out more about ways Progent can help your Stamford organization with ransomware forensics, call 1-800-462-8800 or visit Contact Progent.