Overview of Progent's Ransomware Forensics and Reporting Services in Stamford
Progent's ransomware forensics experts can capture the system state after a ransomware assault and perform a detailed forensics analysis without disrupting the processes related to operational resumption and data restoration. Your Stamford organization can use Progent's post-attack forensics documentation to counter subsequent ransomware assaults, validate the recovery of encrypted data, and comply with insurance and regulatory requirements.
Ransomware forensics investigation involves tracking and documenting the ransomware assault's storyline across the targeted network from beginning to end. This history of the way a ransomware assault travelled within the network helps your IT staff to evaluate the damage and highlights weaknesses in policies or processes that should be corrected to avoid future breaches. Forensic analysis is commonly assigned a high priority by the insurance provider and is typically required by state and industry regulations. Since forensics can take time, it is vital that other key activities like operational continuity are pursued concurrently. Progent maintains an extensive roster of IT and security experts with the knowledge and experience needed to carry out the work of containment, operational resumption, and data restoration without disrupting forensic analysis.
Ransomware forensics analysis is complicated and requires close interaction with the teams responsible for file recovery and, if necessary, payment negotiation with the ransomware hacker. Ransomware forensics typically require the review of all logs, registry, Group Policy Object (GPO), AD, DNS, routers, firewalls, scheduled tasks, and basic Windows systems to look for anomalies.
Activities associated with forensics analysis include:
- Isolate but avoid shutting down all potentially suspect devices from the system. This may require closing all Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) ports and Internet connected NAS storage, changing admin credentials and user passwords, and configuring two-factor authentication to secure your backups.
- Preserve forensically valid duplicates of all exposed devices so your file restoration group can proceed
- Save firewall, virtual private network, and additional key logs as quickly as feasible
- Identify the kind of ransomware involved in the assault
- Inspect each computer and storage device on the network including cloud-hosted storage for indications of encryption
- Inventory all compromised devices
- Establish the kind of ransomware used in the assault
- Review log activity and user sessions to establish the timeline of the assault and to spot any potential lateral migration from the originally compromised system
- Identify the attack vectors used to perpetrate the ransomware assault
- Look for new executables associated with the original encrypted files or network breach
- Parse Outlook PST files
- Analyze attachments
- Extract URLs embedded in email messages and determine if they are malware
- Produce extensive incident reporting to satisfy your insurance carrier and compliance regulations
- List recommendations to close cybersecurity vulnerabilities and enforce processes that lower the exposure to a future ransomware exploit
Progent has provided online and onsite network services throughout the United States for more than 20 years and has been awarded Microsoft's Gold Partner designation in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity competencies. Progent's team of subject matter experts includes consultants who have been awarded high-level certifications in foundation technology platforms such as Cisco infrastructure, VMware, and popular distributions of Linux. Progent's cybersecurity consultants have earned internationally recognized certifications such as CISM, CISSP, and CRISC. (See Progent's certifications). Progent also offers guidance in financial and ERP application software. This breadth of expertise allows Progent to identify and consolidate the undamaged parts of your IT environment after a ransomware intrusion and reconstruct them rapidly into a viable network. Progent has collaborated with leading cyber insurance providers like Chubb to assist organizations clean up after ransomware attacks.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Investigation Services in Stamford
To find out more information about ways Progent can help your Stamford organization with ransomware forensics analysis, call 1-800-462-8800 or see Contact Progent.