Overview of Progent's Ransomware Forensics Analysis and Reporting in Stamford
Progent's ransomware forensics experts can save the system state after a ransomware assault and carry out a detailed forensics analysis without interfering with activity required for operational continuity and data recovery. Your Stamford organization can utilize Progent's post-attack forensics report to counter future ransomware assaults, assist in the restoration of encrypted data, and meet insurance and regulatory requirements.
Ransomware forensics analysis involves discovering and describing the ransomware assault's progress throughout the network from start to finish. This audit trail of the way a ransomware assault travelled within the network assists your IT staff to evaluate the damage and highlights gaps in rules or processes that should be rectified to prevent later break-ins. Forensic analysis is commonly assigned a high priority by the cyber insurance provider and is typically mandated by government and industry regulations. Since forensic analysis can take time, it is vital that other important activities like operational resumption are performed in parallel. Progent maintains an extensive roster of information technology and data security experts with the knowledge and experience required to carry out the work of containment, business resumption, and data restoration without disrupting forensic analysis.
Ransomware forensics is complicated and calls for intimate interaction with the groups assigned to data recovery and, if needed, payment discussions with the ransomware Threat Actor (TA). Ransomware forensics typically involve the examination of logs, registry, Group Policy Object, AD, DNS servers, routers, firewalls, scheduled tasks, and core Windows systems to look for anomalies.
Services associated with forensics investigation include:
- Disconnect but avoid shutting down all potentially affected devices from the network. This can require closing all Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) ports and Internet facing NAS storage, modifying admin credentials and user PWs, and implementing two-factor authentication to protect backups.
- Create forensically complete images of all exposed devices so the file recovery team can get started
- Save firewall, virtual private network, and other key logs as quickly as possible
- Identify the version of ransomware used in the attack
- Survey every machine and storage device on the network including cloud storage for signs of encryption
- Catalog all compromised devices
- Determine the type of ransomware involved in the attack
- Study logs and user sessions in order to determine the timeline of the attack and to identify any possible lateral migration from the originally infected machine
- Identify the security gaps exploited to perpetrate the ransomware attack
- Look for new executables associated with the original encrypted files or system compromise
- Parse Outlook PST files
- Examine attachments
- Extract URLs from email messages and check to see whether they are malware
- Produce comprehensive attack documentation to satisfy your insurance and compliance requirements
- Suggest recommended improvements to close cybersecurity vulnerabilities and enforce workflows that reduce the exposure to a future ransomware breach
Progent has provided online and on-premises IT services throughout the U.S. for more than two decades and has earned Microsoft's Gold Partner certification in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity competencies. Progent's roster of SMEs includes consultants who have been awarded high-level certifications in foundation technology platforms including Cisco networking, VMware, and popular distributions of Linux. Progent's cybersecurity experts have earned prestigious certifications such as CISA, CISSP-ISSAP, and CRISC. (Refer to Progent's certifications). Progent also has guidance in financial and Enterprise Resource Planning software. This broad array of skills gives Progent the ability to salvage and integrate the undamaged pieces of your information system after a ransomware assault and reconstruct them quickly into a functioning network. Progent has collaborated with leading insurance carriers like Chubb to assist businesses recover from ransomware assaults.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Investigation Expertise in Stamford
To learn more information about ways Progent can help your Stamford business with ransomware forensics investigation, call 1-800-462-8800 or visit Contact Progent.