Progent's Ransomware Forensics and Reporting in Fort Wayne
Progent's ransomware forensics experts can capture the system state after a ransomware assault and carry out a detailed forensics analysis without interfering with the processes required for operational resumption and data recovery. Your Fort Wayne organization can use Progent's post-attack ransomware forensics documentation to combat subsequent ransomware attacks, assist in the recovery of encrypted data, and comply with insurance carrier and governmental requirements.
Ransomware forensics involves tracking and documenting the ransomware assault's progress across the targeted network from start to finish. This audit trail of the way a ransomware attack travelled through the network helps you to evaluate the impact and brings to light weaknesses in rules or work habits that need to be corrected to prevent future breaches. Forensics is usually assigned a top priority by the cyber insurance carrier and is typically mandated by state and industry regulations. Because forensic analysis can take time, it is critical that other key activities like operational resumption are executed in parallel. Progent maintains an extensive roster of IT and cybersecurity experts with the skills required to perform the work of containment, operational resumption, and data recovery without disrupting forensic analysis.
Ransomware forensics analysis is complicated and requires close cooperation with the groups focused on file restoration and, if needed, settlement discussions with the ransomware Threat Actor (TA). Ransomware forensics can involve the examination of all logs, registry, Group Policy Object, Active Directory, DNS, routers, firewalls, scheduled tasks, and basic Windows systems to detect changes.
Activities associated with forensics analysis include:
- Detach without shutting off all possibly suspect devices from the network. This can require closing all RDP ports and Internet facing NAS storage, modifying admin credentials and user passwords, and implementing two-factor authentication to secure your backups.
- Copy forensically valid images of all suspect devices so the file recovery group can proceed
- Preserve firewall, virtual private network, and additional critical logs as quickly as possible
- Identify the version of ransomware involved in the attack
- Examine each machine and data store on the system as well as cloud-hosted storage for indications of compromise
- Catalog all compromised devices
- Determine the kind of ransomware involved in the attack
- Review logs and sessions to determine the timeline of the assault and to spot any possible sideways movement from the first infected machine
- Identify the security gaps used to perpetrate the ransomware attack
- Search for the creation of executables surrounding the original encrypted files or system breach
- Parse Outlook PST files
- Examine email attachments
- Separate URLs embedded in messages and determine whether they are malware
- Provide extensive attack reporting to meet your insurance and compliance requirements
- Document recommendations to shore up security vulnerabilities and improve workflows that reduce the exposure to a future ransomware exploit
Progent has provided remote and on-premises IT services throughout the U.S. for over 20 years and has earned Microsoft's Gold Partner certification in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity competencies. Progent's roster of subject matter experts includes consultants who have earned high-level certifications in foundation technology platforms including Cisco infrastructure, VMware, and major Linux distros. Progent's cybersecurity consultants have earned prestigious certifications such as CISM, CISSP, and CRISC. (Refer to Progent's certifications). Progent also offers top-tier support in financial and Enterprise Resource Planning application software. This scope of skills gives Progent the ability to salvage and integrate the undamaged parts of your network after a ransomware attack and reconstruct them quickly into a functioning system. Progent has worked with leading cyber insurance carriers like Chubb to assist businesses recover from ransomware assaults.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Investigation Expertise in Fort Wayne
To find out more information about how Progent can assist your Fort Wayne organization with ransomware forensics, call 1-800-462-8800 or see Contact Progent.