Progent's Ransomware Forensics and Reporting in Huntington Beach
Progent's ransomware forensics consultants can capture the system state after a ransomware attack and perform a detailed forensics analysis without slowing down the processes related to operational continuity and data restoration. Your Huntington Beach organization can use Progent's ransomware forensics documentation to combat future ransomware assaults, validate the cleanup of encrypted data, and meet insurance carrier and governmental reporting requirements.
Ransomware forensics investigation is aimed at tracking and describing the ransomware attack's storyline across the targeted network from start to finish. This history of how a ransomware assault travelled through the network helps your IT staff to assess the damage and brings to light weaknesses in security policies or processes that should be rectified to avoid later break-ins. Forensic analysis is typically given a high priority by the insurance provider and is typically mandated by state and industry regulations. Because forensic analysis can take time, it is essential that other important activities like operational continuity are executed in parallel. Progent has an extensive roster of information technology and security experts with the knowledge and experience needed to perform the work of containment, operational continuity, and data restoration without interfering with forensic analysis.
Ransomware forensics is time consuming and calls for intimate cooperation with the teams assigned to file recovery and, if needed, settlement negotiation with the ransomware Threat Actor. Ransomware forensics typically involve the examination of logs, registry, Group Policy Object, AD, DNS, routers, firewalls, scheduled tasks, and basic Windows systems to detect anomalies.
Activities associated with forensics include:
- Isolate but avoid shutting down all possibly impacted devices from the network. This may involve closing all Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) ports and Internet connected network-attached storage, modifying admin credentials and user passwords, and implementing two-factor authentication to protect backups.
- Preserve forensically sound images of all exposed devices so the file restoration group can proceed
- Save firewall, VPN, and other critical logs as quickly as feasible
- Determine the version of ransomware involved in the attack
- Examine each machine and data store on the network as well as cloud-hosted storage for indications of compromise
- Catalog all compromised devices
- Determine the type of ransomware involved in the attack
- Review logs and sessions to determine the timeline of the attack and to identify any potential sideways migration from the originally compromised system
- Identify the security gaps exploited to carry out the ransomware assault
- Search for new executables associated with the first encrypted files or system breach
- Parse Outlook web archives
- Examine email attachments
- Separate URLs embedded in messages and determine whether they are malicious
- Provide comprehensive attack documentation to meet your insurance carrier and compliance regulations
- Document recommended improvements to shore up cybersecurity gaps and improve workflows that lower the risk of a future ransomware exploit
Progent has provided online and onsite IT services across the U.S. for more than two decades and has been awarded Microsoft's Gold Partner designation in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity competencies. Progent's roster of subject matter experts includes consultants who have earned advanced certifications in core technologies such as Cisco networking, VMware virtualization, and popular Linux distros. Progent's data security consultants have earned prestigious certifications such as CISA, CISSP-ISSAP, and GIAC. (See certifications earned by Progent consultants). Progent also has top-tier support in financial management and ERP applications. This breadth of skills gives Progent the ability to identify and consolidate the undamaged pieces of your information system following a ransomware intrusion and rebuild them rapidly into a functioning network. Progent has collaborated with leading insurance carriers including Chubb to help businesses recover from ransomware attacks.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Investigation Services in Huntington Beach
To learn more about ways Progent can help your Huntington Beach organization with ransomware forensics investigation, call 1-800-462-8800 or visit Contact Progent.