Progent's Ransomware Forensics Investigation and Reporting in Niterói
Progent's ransomware forensics experts can capture the system state after a ransomware attack and carry out a comprehensive forensics investigation without interfering with activity related to business continuity and data recovery. Your Niterói organization can utilize Progent's post-attack forensics documentation to counter subsequent ransomware attacks, assist in the cleanup of encrypted data, and comply with insurance and regulatory reporting requirements.
Ransomware forensics is aimed at determining and describing the ransomware assault's progress throughout the network from beginning to end. This audit trail of how a ransomware attack travelled through the network assists your IT staff to evaluate the damage and highlights gaps in policies or processes that should be corrected to prevent future break-ins. Forensics is commonly assigned a top priority by the insurance provider and is often required by state and industry regulations. Because forensics can take time, it is vital that other key recovery processes such as business resumption are executed concurrently. Progent has an extensive roster of information technology and data security experts with the knowledge and experience required to perform activities for containment, business resumption, and data restoration without interfering with forensic analysis.
Ransomware forensics investigation is complex and requires intimate cooperation with the groups assigned to data recovery and, if necessary, payment negotiation with the ransomware hacker. Ransomware forensics can require the examination of all logs, registry, GPO, Active Directory (AD), DNS, routers, firewalls, schedulers, and core Windows systems to look for anomalies.
Activities involved with forensics include:
- Disconnect without shutting off all possibly impacted devices from the system. This can involve closing all Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) ports and Internet facing network-attached storage, modifying admin credentials and user passwords, and implementing two-factor authentication to protect backups.
- Capture forensically valid images of all exposed devices so your file restoration group can proceed
- Preserve firewall, VPN, and other critical logs as quickly as feasible
- Determine the variety of ransomware used in the assault
- Survey every machine and storage device on the system including cloud storage for indications of encryption
- Catalog all encrypted devices
- Establish the type of ransomware involved in the assault
- Review log activity and user sessions in order to determine the time frame of the assault and to spot any possible lateral movement from the originally compromised machine
- Identify the security gaps used to perpetrate the ransomware assault
- Search for the creation of executables associated with the first encrypted files or network breach
- Parse Outlook web archives
- Analyze email attachments
- Extract URLs embedded in email messages and check to see whether they are malicious
- Provide extensive incident documentation to meet your insurance carrier and compliance requirements
- List recommendations to shore up cybersecurity vulnerabilities and improve workflows that lower the risk of a future ransomware breach
Progent has delivered remote and onsite IT services across the U.S. for over two decades and has earned Microsoft's Gold Partner designation in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity competencies. Progent's roster of SMEs includes consultants who have been awarded advanced certifications in core technology platforms such as Cisco infrastructure, VMware virtualization, and major Linux distros. Progent's data security consultants have earned prestigious certifications such as CISM, CISSP, and CRISC. (Refer to Progent's certifications). Progent also offers top-tier support in financial management and ERP application software. This broad array of expertise allows Progent to identify and integrate the undamaged parts of your information system after a ransomware assault and rebuild them quickly into a viable system. Progent has worked with leading insurance providers including Chubb to assist organizations clean up after ransomware assaults.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Investigation Expertise in Niterói
To find out more information about ways Progent can assist your Niterói business with ransomware forensics analysis, call 1-800-462-8800 or visit Contact Progent.