Overview of Progent's Ransomware Forensics Analysis and Reporting Services in Santos
Progent's ransomware forensics consultants can capture the system state after a ransomware assault and perform a comprehensive forensics analysis without interfering with the processes related to business resumption and data restoration. Your Santos organization can use Progent's post-attack forensics documentation to block future ransomware assaults, assist in the restoration of lost data, and comply with insurance and governmental reporting requirements.
Ransomware forensics investigation is aimed at determining and describing the ransomware assault's progress across the network from start to finish. This audit trail of the way a ransomware assault progressed through the network helps your IT staff to evaluate the damage and uncovers vulnerabilities in rules or work habits that need to be rectified to avoid future breaches. Forensics is typically assigned a top priority by the cyber insurance provider and is typically required by government and industry regulations. Because forensics can take time, it is vital that other important activities such as operational resumption are pursued in parallel. Progent has an extensive team of information technology and cybersecurity professionals with the knowledge and experience required to carry out the work of containment, operational resumption, and data restoration without interfering with forensic analysis.
Ransomware forensics investigation is arduous and requires intimate interaction with the teams focused on data cleanup and, if necessary, payment discussions with the ransomware hacker. forensics typically involve the examination of all logs, registry, GPO, Active Directory (AD), DNS servers, routers, firewalls, scheduled tasks, and basic Windows systems to detect changes.
Activities involved with forensics include:
- Isolate but avoid shutting down all possibly impacted devices from the system. This may involve closing all Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) ports and Internet connected NAS storage, changing admin credentials and user passwords, and configuring 2FA to protect your backups.
- Copy forensically valid images of all exposed devices so the data restoration group can get started
- Save firewall, virtual private network, and other critical logs as quickly as possible
- Establish the variety of ransomware involved in the assault
- Inspect each computer and data store on the network including cloud-hosted storage for indications of encryption
- Inventory all encrypted devices
- Determine the type of ransomware involved in the assault
- Review log activity and sessions in order to determine the timeline of the ransomware attack and to spot any possible lateral movement from the originally infected system
- Identify the attack vectors exploited to carry out the ransomware attack
- Look for the creation of executables associated with the first encrypted files or system compromise
- Parse Outlook PST files
- Analyze attachments
- Extract URLs embedded in messages and determine if they are malicious
- Produce detailed incident documentation to satisfy your insurance carrier and compliance regulations
- Suggest recommendations to shore up cybersecurity gaps and improve workflows that reduce the risk of a future ransomware breach
Progent has provided online and on-premises IT services throughout the United States for over 20 years and has earned Microsoft's Gold Partner designation in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity competencies. Progent's roster of SBEs includes professionals who have been awarded advanced certifications in core technology platforms such as Cisco networking, VMware, and popular Linux distros. Progent's data security consultants have earned industry-recognized certifications such as CISA, CISSP-ISSAP, and GIAC. (Refer to Progent's certifications). Progent also has guidance in financial and ERP software. This breadth of skills allows Progent to salvage and integrate the surviving parts of your information system following a ransomware assault and rebuild them rapidly into a functioning system. Progent has collaborated with leading insurance carriers including Chubb to help organizations recover from ransomware attacks.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Expertise in Santos
To find out more about ways Progent can help your Santos business with ransomware forensics investigation, call 1-800-462-8800 or see Contact Progent.