Overview of Progent's Ransomware Forensics Investigation and Reporting in Springfield
Progent's ransomware forensics consultants can save the system state after a ransomware attack and perform a comprehensive forensics investigation without impeding activity required for business continuity and data recovery. Your Springfield business can use Progent's post-attack ransomware forensics report to combat subsequent ransomware attacks, validate the recovery of encrypted data, and meet insurance carrier and governmental requirements.
Ransomware forensics is aimed at determining and documenting the ransomware attack's storyline throughout the network from start to finish. This audit trail of the way a ransomware attack travelled within the network assists you to assess the damage and highlights vulnerabilities in policies or work habits that should be rectified to avoid future breaches. Forensic analysis is typically assigned a top priority by the cyber insurance carrier and is typically mandated by government and industry regulations. Since forensics can take time, it is critical that other important recovery processes such as operational resumption are executed concurrently. Progent has a large roster of IT and data security experts with the knowledge and experience required to carry out the work of containment, business resumption, and data recovery without disrupting forensic analysis.
Ransomware forensics investigation is complicated and requires intimate cooperation with the groups responsible for data cleanup and, if needed, settlement talks with the ransomware Threat Actor (TA). Ransomware forensics can involve the review of logs, registry, Group Policy Object, AD, DNS servers, routers, firewalls, scheduled tasks, and basic Windows systems to check for variations.
Activities associated with forensics analysis include:
- Disconnect without shutting off all potentially impacted devices from the system. This can require closing all Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) ports and Internet facing NAS storage, modifying admin credentials and user PWs, and configuring 2FA to guard your backups.
- Preserve forensically valid digital images of all suspect devices so the file restoration group can proceed
- Preserve firewall, VPN, and other key logs as soon as possible
- Establish the variety of ransomware involved in the attack
- Survey every machine and storage device on the system including cloud-hosted storage for indications of encryption
- Catalog all compromised devices
- Determine the kind of ransomware involved in the assault
- Study log activity and sessions to determine the timeline of the attack and to identify any possible sideways movement from the originally compromised machine
- Understand the security gaps used to perpetrate the ransomware attack
- Search for the creation of executables associated with the original encrypted files or network compromise
- Parse Outlook web archives
- Examine email attachments
- Separate URLs from email messages and determine whether they are malicious
- Provide detailed incident reporting to meet your insurance and compliance regulations
- Document recommendations to shore up security gaps and improve processes that reduce the exposure to a future ransomware breach
Progent has delivered remote and onsite IT services throughout the U.S. for over two decades and has earned Microsoft's Gold Partner designation in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity practice areas. Progent's roster of subject matter experts (SMEs) includes professionals who have earned high-level certifications in core technology platforms including Cisco infrastructure, VMware, and popular distributions of Linux. Progent's cybersecurity experts have earned prestigious certifications including CISA, CISSP, and GIAC. (See certifications earned by Progent consultants). Progent also has guidance in financial and Enterprise Resource Planning software. This broad array of skills allows Progent to identify and consolidate the undamaged parts of your IT environment after a ransomware intrusion and reconstruct them quickly into a viable system. Progent has worked with leading cyber insurance providers like Chubb to help businesses clean up after ransomware attacks.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Investigation Services in Springfield
To find out more information about how Progent can assist your Springfield organization with ransomware forensics, call 1-800-462-8800 or visit Contact Progent.