Progent's Ransomware Forensics and Reporting in Springfield
Progent's ransomware forensics experts can capture the system state after a ransomware assault and perform a comprehensive forensics investigation without disrupting activity related to business continuity and data recovery. Your Springfield organization can utilize Progent's post-attack forensics report to block future ransomware attacks, validate the restoration of lost data, and meet insurance and governmental requirements.
Ransomware forensics is aimed at tracking and documenting the ransomware attack's storyline across the targeted network from beginning to end. This history of how a ransomware attack progressed through the network helps your IT staff to evaluate the damage and uncovers shortcomings in security policies or work habits that should be corrected to prevent later break-ins. Forensic analysis is usually given a high priority by the cyber insurance carrier and is often mandated by government and industry regulations. Because forensic analysis can be time consuming, it is essential that other important activities like operational resumption are executed in parallel. Progent has a large roster of information technology and data security professionals with the skills needed to perform the work of containment, operational resumption, and data recovery without interfering with forensics.
Ransomware forensics investigation is arduous and calls for close cooperation with the teams responsible for file restoration and, if necessary, settlement discussions with the ransomware Threat Actor. forensics typically involve the examination of logs, registry, Group Policy Object (GPO), AD, DNS, routers, firewalls, schedulers, and basic Windows systems to look for changes.
Activities associated with forensics investigation include:
- Isolate without shutting off all possibly impacted devices from the system. This may involve closing all RDP ports and Internet connected NAS storage, modifying admin credentials and user PWs, and implementing two-factor authentication to protect backups.
- Create forensically sound images of all suspect devices so the data restoration team can get started
- Preserve firewall, VPN, and other key logs as quickly as feasible
- Establish the type of ransomware used in the attack
- Inspect each computer and data store on the network including cloud storage for indications of encryption
- Catalog all compromised devices
- Determine the type of ransomware involved in the assault
- Review log activity and sessions to establish the time frame of the assault and to identify any potential lateral migration from the originally compromised machine
- Identify the security gaps exploited to carry out the ransomware attack
- Search for the creation of executables surrounding the first encrypted files or network breach
- Parse Outlook PST files
- Analyze email attachments
- Separate any URLs embedded in email messages and determine if they are malicious
- Produce detailed incident documentation to meet your insurance carrier and compliance requirements
- Suggest recommended improvements to close cybersecurity gaps and improve processes that reduce the risk of a future ransomware exploit
Progent has provided online and onsite network services throughout the U.S. for over two decades and has earned Microsoft's Gold Partner designation in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity competencies. Progent's roster of subject matter experts includes professionals who have been awarded high-level certifications in core technology platforms such as Cisco infrastructure, VMware, and popular distributions of Linux. Progent's data security consultants have earned internationally recognized certifications such as CISM, CISSP-ISSAP, and GIAC. (See Progent's certifications). Progent also offers guidance in financial and Enterprise Resource Planning applications. This scope of skills allows Progent to identify and consolidate the surviving parts of your information system following a ransomware attack and reconstruct them rapidly into a viable system. Progent has worked with leading insurance carriers like Chubb to assist businesses clean up after ransomware attacks.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Investigation Expertise in Springfield
To learn more information about ways Progent can assist your Springfield organization with ransomware forensics analysis, call 1-800-462-8800 or visit Contact Progent.