Progent's Ransomware Forensics Investigation and Reporting in Springfield
Progent's ransomware forensics consultants can preserve the system state after a ransomware assault and perform a comprehensive forensics investigation without disrupting the processes related to business continuity and data restoration. Your Springfield business can use Progent's ransomware forensics report to counter subsequent ransomware assaults, validate the recovery of encrypted data, and meet insurance carrier and governmental requirements.
Ransomware forensics analysis involves discovering and describing the ransomware assault's storyline throughout the network from start to finish. This audit trail of the way a ransomware attack travelled within the network assists your IT staff to assess the impact and highlights shortcomings in security policies or work habits that should be corrected to prevent future breaches. Forensics is commonly assigned a high priority by the cyber insurance provider and is often mandated by state and industry regulations. Because forensic analysis can take time, it is essential that other important recovery processes such as business resumption are executed in parallel. Progent maintains a large team of IT and data security experts with the knowledge and experience required to perform the work of containment, business resumption, and data recovery without disrupting forensics.
Ransomware forensics analysis is arduous and calls for intimate cooperation with the groups responsible for data cleanup and, if necessary, payment talks with the ransomware Threat Actor (TA). forensics can involve the examination of all logs, registry, Group Policy Object, Active Directory (AD), DNS, routers, firewalls, scheduled tasks, and basic Windows systems to check for anomalies.
Activities involved with forensics investigation include:
- Isolate without shutting down all potentially impacted devices from the system. This may require closing all RDP ports and Internet facing NAS storage, modifying admin credentials and user passwords, and implementing 2FA to protect backups.
- Preserve forensically sound images of all suspect devices so the file recovery team can proceed
- Preserve firewall, virtual private network, and other critical logs as quickly as possible
- Establish the strain of ransomware used in the attack
- Survey each machine and data store on the network including cloud storage for indications of encryption
- Catalog all compromised devices
- Determine the type of ransomware involved in the assault
- Review logs and user sessions to establish the timeline of the attack and to identify any possible lateral migration from the originally compromised machine
- Understand the attack vectors used to carry out the ransomware assault
- Look for new executables surrounding the original encrypted files or network compromise
- Parse Outlook PST files
- Examine attachments
- Extract any URLs from email messages and check to see whether they are malware
- Produce extensive incident reporting to satisfy your insurance carrier and compliance mandates
- List recommendations to close cybersecurity gaps and enforce workflows that lower the exposure to a future ransomware breach
Progent has delivered remote and on-premises network services across the U.S. for over two decades and has earned Microsoft's Gold Partner certification in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity practice areas. Progent's team of subject matter experts includes professionals who have been awarded high-level certifications in core technologies including Cisco networking, VMware, and major distributions of Linux. Progent's cybersecurity experts have earned internationally recognized certifications including CISA, CISSP-ISSAP, and GIAC. (See Progent's certifications). Progent also offers top-tier support in financial management and ERP software. This scope of skills gives Progent the ability to salvage and integrate the undamaged pieces of your information system following a ransomware intrusion and reconstruct them rapidly into a functioning network. Progent has worked with top cyber insurance providers like Chubb to assist businesses recover from ransomware attacks.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Analysis Expertise in Springfield
To learn more about how Progent can assist your Springfield business with ransomware forensics investigation, call 1-800-993-9400 or see Contact Progent.