Overview of Progent's Ransomware Forensics Analysis and Reporting in Adelaide
Progent's ransomware forensics experts can capture the system state after a ransomware attack and carry out a comprehensive forensics analysis without interfering with activity required for business continuity and data recovery. Your Adelaide organization can utilize Progent's ransomware forensics documentation to counter future ransomware attacks, validate the recovery of lost data, and comply with insurance carrier and governmental mandates.
Ransomware forensics analysis involves tracking and describing the ransomware assault's progress across the network from start to finish. This history of how a ransomware attack travelled through the network assists your IT staff to evaluate the impact and brings to light gaps in security policies or processes that should be corrected to avoid later break-ins. Forensic analysis is usually assigned a top priority by the cyber insurance provider and is typically required by government and industry regulations. Because forensic analysis can take time, it is vital that other important recovery processes such as business continuity are pursued concurrently. Progent maintains a large team of IT and cybersecurity professionals with the knowledge and experience required to carry out the work of containment, business continuity, and data restoration without interfering with forensics.
Ransomware forensics investigation is time consuming and requires intimate cooperation with the groups responsible for data cleanup and, if necessary, settlement discussions with the ransomware Threat Actor. Ransomware forensics typically require the examination of logs, registry, GPO, Active Directory, DNS servers, routers, firewalls, schedulers, and basic Windows systems to detect variations.
Activities involved with forensics include:
- Disconnect but avoid shutting off all possibly affected devices from the network. This may involve closing all RDP ports and Internet facing network-attached storage, modifying admin credentials and user passwords, and setting up 2FA to guard your backups.
- Copy forensically valid duplicates of all exposed devices so your file restoration group can get started
- Save firewall, virtual private network, and other key logs as soon as feasible
- Identify the version of ransomware used in the attack
- Inspect each machine and data store on the network as well as cloud-hosted storage for indications of encryption
- Inventory all compromised devices
- Determine the kind of ransomware involved in the assault
- Study log activity and user sessions to establish the time frame of the attack and to identify any possible lateral migration from the first infected machine
- Understand the attack vectors used to perpetrate the ransomware assault
- Look for the creation of executables surrounding the first encrypted files or system breach
- Parse Outlook PST files
- Examine attachments
- Extract any URLs from email messages and determine if they are malicious
- Produce comprehensive attack documentation to meet your insurance carrier and compliance requirements
- List recommended improvements to shore up security vulnerabilities and enforce workflows that lower the exposure to a future ransomware breach
Progent has provided remote and on-premises network services across the U.S. for more than two decades and has earned Microsoft's Gold Partner designation in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity competencies. Progent's team of subject matter experts (SBEs) includes professionals who have earned high-level certifications in foundation technologies such as Cisco networking, VMware, and popular distributions of Linux. Progent's data security consultants have earned industry-recognized certifications such as CISM, CISSP-ISSAP, and GIAC. (See certifications earned by Progent consultants). Progent also offers top-tier support in financial and Enterprise Resource Planning applications. This scope of skills allows Progent to salvage and integrate the surviving pieces of your IT environment following a ransomware attack and rebuild them quickly into an operational system. Progent has worked with top cyber insurance carriers like Chubb to assist businesses recover from ransomware assaults.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Expertise in Adelaide
To find out more about ways Progent can assist your Adelaide business with ransomware forensics analysis, call 1-800-993-9400 or see Contact Progent.