Overview of Progent's Ransomware Forensics and Reporting Services in Brighton
Progent's ransomware forensics consultants can capture the evidence of a ransomware assault and perform a comprehensive forensics investigation without interfering with activity related to business resumption and data recovery. Your Brighton organization can use Progent's ransomware forensics documentation to combat subsequent ransomware assaults, validate the restoration of lost data, and meet insurance and governmental requirements.
Ransomware forensics involves tracking and documenting the ransomware attack's progress throughout the network from start to finish. This history of the way a ransomware attack progressed within the network helps your IT staff to assess the impact and uncovers weaknesses in policies or processes that should be rectified to prevent later break-ins. Forensics is usually given a high priority by the insurance carrier and is often required by government and industry regulations. Because forensics can be time consuming, it is vital that other key activities such as operational continuity are executed in parallel. Progent has a large roster of information technology and cybersecurity experts with the knowledge and experience required to perform activities for containment, operational continuity, and data recovery without interfering with forensics.
Ransomware forensics analysis is complex and calls for intimate interaction with the groups assigned to file restoration and, if necessary, payment discussions with the ransomware Threat Actor. forensics typically require the review of logs, registry, Group Policy Object (GPO), Active Directory (AD), DNS, routers, firewalls, scheduled tasks, and basic Windows systems to look for anomalies.
Activities involved with forensics investigation include:
- Isolate but avoid shutting down all potentially suspect devices from the network. This can require closing all Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) ports and Internet facing network-attached storage, modifying admin credentials and user PWs, and implementing 2FA to guard your backups.
- Preserve forensically valid digital images of all suspect devices so your data restoration team can get started
- Save firewall, VPN, and additional key logs as quickly as possible
- Determine the type of ransomware used in the attack
- Examine each machine and data store on the network including cloud-hosted storage for indications of encryption
- Inventory all compromised devices
- Establish the type of ransomware used in the assault
- Study logs and user sessions in order to establish the time frame of the ransomware attack and to identify any possible lateral migration from the first infected machine
- Understand the security gaps used to carry out the ransomware attack
- Look for new executables surrounding the original encrypted files or system compromise
- Parse Outlook PST files
- Examine email attachments
- Extract any URLs embedded in email messages and determine whether they are malicious
- Produce comprehensive incident reporting to satisfy your insurance carrier and compliance requirements
- List recommended improvements to close security vulnerabilities and improve workflows that lower the risk of a future ransomware exploit
Progent has provided remote and onsite IT services across the United States for over 20 years and has been awarded Microsoft's Gold Partner certification in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity practice areas. Progent's team of SBEs includes consultants who have been awarded advanced certifications in core technologies including Cisco networking, VMware virtualization, and major distributions of Linux. Progent's data security consultants have earned internationally recognized certifications including CISA, CISSP-ISSAP, and CRISC. (Refer to certifications earned by Progent consultants). Progent also offers top-tier support in financial management and Enterprise Resource Planning application software. This scope of expertise allows Progent to identify and integrate the surviving parts of your information system after a ransomware intrusion and reconstruct them rapidly into a functioning network. Progent has collaborated with leading insurance carriers including Chubb to help businesses clean up after ransomware attacks.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Analysis Services in Brighton
To find out more information about how Progent can assist your Brighton business with ransomware forensics, call 1-800-462-8800 or see Contact Progent.