Progent's Ransomware Forensics Investigation and Reporting in Brighton
Progent's ransomware forensics consultants can capture the evidence of a ransomware assault and carry out a comprehensive forensics analysis without interfering with the processes required for business resumption and data recovery. Your Brighton organization can utilize Progent's forensics report to combat subsequent ransomware assaults, validate the restoration of encrypted data, and meet insurance and regulatory reporting requirements.
Ransomware forensics is aimed at tracking and documenting the ransomware attack's storyline throughout the network from beginning to end. This history of the way a ransomware attack progressed within the network assists you to evaluate the impact and highlights vulnerabilities in policies or processes that should be corrected to avoid later breaches. Forensics is commonly given a top priority by the cyber insurance carrier and is typically mandated by government and industry regulations. Since forensic analysis can be time consuming, it is critical that other important activities like operational continuity are performed in parallel. Progent has a large roster of information technology and security experts with the knowledge and experience required to carry out activities for containment, business resumption, and data recovery without interfering with forensic analysis.
Ransomware forensics is complex and calls for close cooperation with the groups assigned to file restoration and, if needed, settlement discussions with the ransomware Threat Actor (TA). forensics can require the examination of logs, registry, GPO, AD, DNS, routers, firewalls, scheduled tasks, and basic Windows systems to check for anomalies.
Activities associated with forensics investigation include:
- Disconnect without shutting off all possibly impacted devices from the system. This can involve closing all RDP ports and Internet facing NAS storage, changing admin credentials and user PWs, and configuring two-factor authentication to secure your backups.
- Copy forensically valid digital images of all suspect devices so the data recovery group can proceed
- Preserve firewall, virtual private network, and additional key logs as quickly as possible
- Identify the version of ransomware used in the attack
- Examine each machine and storage device on the network as well as cloud storage for indications of compromise
- Inventory all compromised devices
- Establish the type of ransomware used in the attack
- Review log activity and user sessions in order to establish the timeline of the ransomware attack and to identify any potential sideways movement from the first compromised machine
- Identify the security gaps exploited to carry out the ransomware attack
- Search for the creation of executables surrounding the original encrypted files or system compromise
- Parse Outlook web archives
- Analyze email attachments
- Separate URLs from messages and determine whether they are malware
- Provide extensive attack documentation to meet your insurance and compliance mandates
- Document recommended improvements to close cybersecurity vulnerabilities and enforce workflows that lower the risk of a future ransomware breach
Progent has provided remote and onsite IT services throughout the United States for over 20 years and has been awarded Microsoft's Gold Partner certification in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity competencies. Progent's team of subject matter experts (SBEs) includes professionals who have been awarded high-level certifications in foundation technology platforms including Cisco infrastructure, VMware, and major Linux distros. Progent's cybersecurity experts have earned industry-recognized certifications including CISM, CISSP-ISSAP, and GIAC. (See Progent's certifications). Progent also offers top-tier support in financial and ERP applications. This broad array of skills allows Progent to salvage and consolidate the surviving pieces of your information system following a ransomware attack and rebuild them rapidly into a functioning system. Progent has worked with top cyber insurance carriers like Chubb to assist organizations clean up after ransomware assaults.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Investigation Expertise in Brighton
To learn more information about ways Progent can assist your Brighton business with ransomware forensics analysis, call 1-800-462-8800 or visit Contact Progent.