Overview of Progent's Ransomware Forensics Investigation and Reporting in Manhattan Beach
Progent's ransomware forensics experts can preserve the evidence of a ransomware assault and carry out a detailed forensics analysis without interfering with activity related to operational resumption and data recovery. Your Manhattan Beach organization can use Progent's forensics report to counter future ransomware attacks, assist in the recovery of lost data, and meet insurance and regulatory mandates.
Ransomware forensics investigation is aimed at determining and documenting the ransomware attack's storyline across the network from beginning to end. This audit trail of the way a ransomware attack travelled through the network helps your IT staff to evaluate the damage and uncovers gaps in policies or processes that should be rectified to avoid future breaches. Forensic analysis is commonly given a high priority by the cyber insurance carrier and is often mandated by government and industry regulations. Because forensic analysis can take time, it is essential that other key activities such as business continuity are pursued concurrently. Progent maintains a large roster of IT and security experts with the knowledge and experience required to carry out the work of containment, business continuity, and data restoration without disrupting forensic analysis.
Ransomware forensics is arduous and calls for close cooperation with the groups assigned to file restoration and, if necessary, settlement negotiation with the ransomware Threat Actor (TA). Ransomware forensics typically require the examination of logs, registry, Group Policy Object (GPO), Active Directory, DNS, routers, firewalls, schedulers, and core Windows systems to check for anomalies.
Activities involved with forensics analysis include:
- Detach but avoid shutting down all possibly suspect devices from the network. This can require closing all RDP ports and Internet connected network-attached storage, changing admin credentials and user PWs, and configuring 2FA to protect your backups.
- Copy forensically valid digital images of all suspect devices so the data restoration team can get started
- Save firewall, virtual private network, and other critical logs as soon as feasible
- Identify the type of ransomware used in the assault
- Inspect every computer and data store on the system as well as cloud-hosted storage for signs of compromise
- Inventory all compromised devices
- Determine the type of ransomware involved in the attack
- Study logs and sessions in order to determine the time frame of the attack and to identify any possible lateral migration from the originally infected machine
- Understand the attack vectors used to perpetrate the ransomware attack
- Look for new executables surrounding the first encrypted files or network compromise
- Parse Outlook web archives
- Analyze attachments
- Separate any URLs from email messages and determine if they are malware
- Provide comprehensive incident reporting to satisfy your insurance and compliance mandates
- Suggest recommendations to close cybersecurity gaps and improve workflows that reduce the exposure to a future ransomware exploit
Progent has provided online and on-premises network services across the U.S. for more than 20 years and has been awarded Microsoft's Gold Partner certification in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity practice areas. Progent's team of subject matter experts includes professionals who have earned advanced certifications in core technology platforms such as Cisco infrastructure, VMware, and major Linux distros. Progent's cybersecurity consultants have earned industry-recognized certifications including CISA, CISSP-ISSAP, and CRISC. (Refer to Progent's certifications). Progent also has guidance in financial management and Enterprise Resource Planning software. This breadth of skills gives Progent the ability to salvage and integrate the undamaged pieces of your information system after a ransomware intrusion and reconstruct them quickly into a viable system. Progent has worked with top insurance carriers like Chubb to help businesses clean up after ransomware assaults.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Investigation Services in Manhattan Beach
To learn more about how Progent can assist your Manhattan Beach organization with ransomware forensics, call 1-800-462-8800 or see Contact Progent.