Overview of Progent's Ransomware Forensics Analysis and Reporting in Oklahoma CIty
Progent's ransomware forensics consultants can capture the system state after a ransomware assault and carry out a detailed forensics investigation without slowing down activity related to business resumption and data restoration. Your Oklahoma CIty business can use Progent's ransomware forensics documentation to block future ransomware attacks, assist in the restoration of lost data, and comply with insurance and regulatory requirements.
Ransomware forensics investigation is aimed at discovering and describing the ransomware attack's progress throughout the targeted network from beginning to end. This audit trail of how a ransomware attack travelled through the network assists your IT staff to assess the impact and highlights shortcomings in security policies or work habits that should be rectified to avoid later break-ins. Forensics is commonly assigned a high priority by the cyber insurance provider and is often mandated by state and industry regulations. Because forensics can be time consuming, it is critical that other key recovery processes such as operational continuity are pursued concurrently. Progent has a large roster of IT and cybersecurity experts with the knowledge and experience required to carry out the work of containment, operational continuity, and data restoration without interfering with forensics.
Ransomware forensics investigation is arduous and requires intimate cooperation with the teams focused on file cleanup and, if needed, payment negotiation with the ransomware Threat Actor (TA). forensics typically involve the examination of logs, registry, Group Policy Object (GPO), Active Directory (AD), DNS, routers, firewalls, scheduled tasks, and core Windows systems to look for anomalies.
Services involved with forensics investigation include:
- Isolate but avoid shutting off all possibly suspect devices from the system. This may involve closing all RDP ports and Internet facing NAS storage, changing admin credentials and user passwords, and configuring two-factor authentication to guard backups.
- Preserve forensically valid digital images of all suspect devices so the data recovery team can get started
- Preserve firewall, virtual private network, and additional key logs as soon as possible
- Determine the strain of ransomware used in the assault
- Examine each machine and data store on the network as well as cloud-hosted storage for signs of compromise
- Inventory all encrypted devices
- Determine the type of ransomware used in the attack
- Study log activity and sessions in order to determine the time frame of the ransomware assault and to spot any possible lateral movement from the originally compromised machine
- Identify the security gaps used to carry out the ransomware assault
- Look for new executables associated with the original encrypted files or system compromise
- Parse Outlook web archives
- Examine attachments
- Separate any URLs embedded in email messages and determine whether they are malware
- Provide detailed attack reporting to satisfy your insurance carrier and compliance requirements
- Document recommended improvements to close cybersecurity vulnerabilities and improve workflows that reduce the risk of a future ransomware breach
Progent has provided online and on-premises IT services throughout the U.S. for more than two decades and has earned Microsoft's Gold Partner designation in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity competencies. Progent's team of subject matter experts (SMEs) includes consultants who have been awarded advanced certifications in foundation technology platforms such as Cisco infrastructure, VMware virtualization, and major Linux distros. Progent's data security consultants have earned industry-recognized certifications such as CISA, CISSP, and CRISC. (See certifications earned by Progent consultants). Progent also has top-tier support in financial and Enterprise Resource Planning application software. This breadth of skills allows Progent to salvage and consolidate the surviving parts of your network following a ransomware intrusion and rebuild them rapidly into a viable system. Progent has collaborated with top cyber insurance providers like Chubb to help organizations clean up after ransomware assaults.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Investigation Expertise in Oklahoma CIty
To find out more information about how Progent can help your Oklahoma CIty business with ransomware forensics analysis, call 1-800-462-8800 or see Contact Progent.