Overview of Progent's Ransomware Forensics Investigation and Reporting in Oklahoma CIty
Progent's ransomware forensics consultants can preserve the evidence of a ransomware attack and perform a detailed forensics analysis without slowing down the processes required for operational continuity and data restoration. Your Oklahoma CIty business can use Progent's ransomware forensics documentation to block future ransomware attacks, validate the cleanup of lost data, and comply with insurance and governmental requirements.
Ransomware forensics is aimed at tracking and documenting the ransomware attack's storyline across the network from start to finish. This history of how a ransomware assault travelled through the network assists your IT staff to assess the impact and highlights vulnerabilities in security policies or processes that need to be rectified to prevent later break-ins. Forensics is usually given a high priority by the insurance provider and is often mandated by government and industry regulations. Because forensics can be time consuming, it is vital that other important activities like operational continuity are performed concurrently. Progent maintains a large roster of IT and data security experts with the skills required to perform the work of containment, business resumption, and data recovery without interfering with forensics.
Ransomware forensics investigation is complicated and calls for close interaction with the groups assigned to file recovery and, if necessary, payment discussions with the ransomware hacker. forensics typically involve the examination of logs, registry, GPO, Active Directory (AD), DNS servers, routers, firewalls, schedulers, and basic Windows systems to look for changes.
Services associated with forensics analysis include:
- Detach without shutting off all possibly impacted devices from the network. This can require closing all Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) ports and Internet connected NAS storage, changing admin credentials and user passwords, and setting up 2FA to guard your backups.
- Copy forensically valid images of all exposed devices so your data recovery group can proceed
- Save firewall, VPN, and additional critical logs as quickly as possible
- Establish the type of ransomware used in the assault
- Examine each machine and storage device on the network as well as cloud-hosted storage for signs of encryption
- Catalog all encrypted devices
- Establish the type of ransomware used in the attack
- Review logs and user sessions to establish the timeline of the ransomware attack and to spot any possible sideways movement from the first infected machine
- Understand the attack vectors exploited to perpetrate the ransomware attack
- Search for new executables associated with the first encrypted files or system compromise
- Parse Outlook web archives
- Examine email attachments
- Extract URLs from messages and check to see whether they are malware
- Provide detailed attack documentation to satisfy your insurance carrier and compliance requirements
- List recommendations to shore up security gaps and improve workflows that lower the risk of a future ransomware exploit
Progent has provided remote and on-premises IT services throughout the U.S. for more than two decades and has earned Microsoft's Gold Partner certification in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity competencies. Progent's team of subject matter experts (SMEs) includes consultants who have been awarded high-level certifications in core technology platforms such as Cisco networking, VMware virtualization, and popular distributions of Linux. Progent's cybersecurity consultants have earned prestigious certifications including CISA, CISSP, and CRISC. (See Progent's certifications). Progent also has top-tier support in financial and ERP applications. This scope of expertise allows Progent to identify and consolidate the undamaged pieces of your network following a ransomware intrusion and reconstruct them quickly into a functioning system. Progent has worked with top insurance carriers like Chubb to assist businesses recover from ransomware attacks.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Investigation Expertise in Oklahoma CIty
To find out more about ways Progent can assist your Oklahoma CIty organization with ransomware forensics, call 1-800-462-8800 or see Contact Progent.