Overview of Progent's Ransomware Forensics Investigation and Reporting in Eugene
Progent's ransomware forensics experts can save the evidence of a ransomware assault and perform a comprehensive forensics analysis without interfering with activity related to business resumption and data recovery. Your Eugene organization can use Progent's post-attack forensics documentation to combat subsequent ransomware attacks, validate the restoration of encrypted data, and meet insurance and regulatory mandates.
Ransomware forensics investigation is aimed at tracking and documenting the ransomware attack's progress throughout the network from beginning to end. This history of the way a ransomware assault travelled through the network helps your IT staff to evaluate the damage and highlights weaknesses in security policies or processes that should be rectified to prevent future break-ins. Forensics is commonly assigned a top priority by the cyber insurance carrier and is typically required by government and industry regulations. Because forensics can take time, it is essential that other key activities like operational continuity are executed in parallel. Progent has a large team of information technology and security professionals with the skills required to carry out activities for containment, business resumption, and data recovery without disrupting forensic analysis.
Ransomware forensics is complex and calls for close interaction with the teams assigned to file recovery and, if necessary, settlement discussions with the ransomware hacker. Ransomware forensics typically involve the examination of logs, registry, Group Policy Object (GPO), Active Directory (AD), DNS, routers, firewalls, scheduled tasks, and basic Windows systems to check for variations.
Activities associated with forensics include:
- Detach without shutting off all possibly affected devices from the network. This can require closing all Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) ports and Internet facing network-attached storage, modifying admin credentials and user passwords, and implementing 2FA to guard your backups.
- Capture forensically complete images of all suspect devices so your file restoration team can get started
- Save firewall, virtual private network, and additional critical logs as quickly as possible
- Establish the strain of ransomware used in the assault
- Inspect each machine and storage device on the network as well as cloud-hosted storage for indications of compromise
- Inventory all compromised devices
- Determine the kind of ransomware involved in the assault
- Review logs and sessions to establish the timeline of the ransomware attack and to spot any potential sideways movement from the first compromised system
- Understand the security gaps exploited to carry out the ransomware attack
- Search for the creation of executables surrounding the original encrypted files or network breach
- Parse Outlook PST files
- Examine email attachments
- Extract URLs from email messages and determine whether they are malware
- Produce extensive incident reporting to meet your insurance and compliance regulations
- List recommended improvements to close security vulnerabilities and improve processes that reduce the exposure to a future ransomware breach
Progent has delivered remote and on-premises network services across the United States for more than 20 years and has earned Microsoft's Gold Partner certification in the Datacenter and Cloud Productivity competencies. Progent's roster of subject matter experts (SMEs) includes consultants who have earned advanced certifications in foundation technology platforms such as Cisco networking, VMware, and popular Linux distros. Progent's cybersecurity experts have earned industry-recognized certifications including CISA, CISSP-ISSAP, and CRISC. (See certifications earned by Progent consultants). Progent also has guidance in financial and Enterprise Resource Planning applications. This breadth of expertise gives Progent the ability to salvage and integrate the undamaged pieces of your network after a ransomware attack and rebuild them quickly into a viable network. Progent has worked with leading cyber insurance carriers including Chubb to assist businesses clean up after ransomware attacks.
Contact Progent about Ransomware Forensics Analysis Services in Eugene
To find out more information about ways Progent can help your Eugene business with ransomware forensics investigation, call 1-800-462-8800 or visit Contact Progent.